Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

(Warning…LONG post!)

Well, I thought this would be an interesting topic, since I think it would help me with future chapters of my own story to discuss this, as I find writing about villains in stories to be very interesting.

So…if you’re writing a pokémon story involving villains of some sort, how do you portray your villains? What sort of villains do you like to write about, and what do you try to avoid when creating a villain character for a pokémon story?

I’ll post my opinions. ^w^

First, what I try to avoid:

Cowards:
These types of villains are really headdesk-inducing to me. In my opinion, it sort of ruins the excitement when a bully-like villain gets beaten and suddenly becomes a whimpering coward. I actually don’t really have a problem with writing about villains being sort of cowardly, as long as they still do (or try to do) what they came to do in spite of that, and don’t just give in to the protagonists and beg for mercy or run away with no intention of coming back. In my opinion, it makes it boring.

Stereotypes:
Another thing I try to avoid. I don’t like having villains that are (or own, if they’re human) commonly stereotyped pokémon such as non-Umbreon dark types, Scyther, Persian, Arbok/Seviper, and pokémon that have been seen owned by Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Galactic. Scyther is one I particularly try to avoid, and when I see a Scyther villain in a story I’m reading, I usually click the ‘back’ button and stop reading it. I’ve seen too many of them… >.<

I know by saying all this I sound like a total hypocrite, considering that the villains in my current story are houndour/houndoom. I wasn’t exactly happy with my decision when I first started writing, nor am I happy with it now, but it’s too late to change it, and I had a reason for using houndour and as much as I want to change it now, it would make the story make less sense. However I try to give my houndour/houndoom characters more detailed personalities as the story progresses and as I write more about them. I actually don’t think of them as ‘evil’ but more ‘misguided’. (They believe that what they do is for a good cause.) And they wouldn’t just randomly run up to someone and kill them or anything, of course.

Since I already have houndoom/houndour villains in my story, I avoid stereotyped “evil” pokémon for the rest of my current (and future) villains.

Weaklings:
Well I don’t really mean “weakling”, but more “villains who are beaten easily”. It would take all the excitement out of writing for me if the heroes could defeat the villains any time they encounter them. Makes for less predictability when the villains are stronger than the heroes and can better them in a fight…makes you wonder what’ll happen if the heroes run into them. >=3

Lack of Clear Motives:
I always try to give villains a reason for what they do, and the way they are, rather than just saying “they are evil”. Also, if some wild pokémon randomly jumps out and attacks, I give it a reason for doing so. (Random wild pokémon have lives too you know!) I try to give villains just as much character development as the protagonists, and coming up with back stories for my villains is fuuuuuuunnnn!!!


Now, the kinds of villains I enjoy writing about:

Threats:
There’s nothing I like better than writing about danger in my stories. And dangers involving villains are one of my favorite things to write about. I like writing about villains who are a threat. Villains who are by no means cowards, and who can’t be defeated by the characters in a fight, no matter how much the good guys “work together and try”. Villains who CAN kill a character if they had a reason to. Villains the protagonists themselves are scared of. Villains who don’t always loose. Villains who, when the protagonist strikes back, strikes THEM back again. These types of villains are what make writing about villains so fun for me.

Interesting Back Stories:
Villains with interesting back stories is also something that’s really fun for me to think about. Not just back stories for the villains, but for the heroes too. I find it strangely interesting and fun to write/think about for some reason.

Eeveelution Villains:
Ok, so this doesn’t have much to do with the topic in general, but for some unexplainable reason, I’ve recently gotten obsessed over making up villains who are eevee evolutions. In my current story, I have an eeveelution hero who I’m really fond of writing about, but after getting annoyed with all the Scyther/Houndoom/Mightyena villains in stories I’ve seen on other sites (not yet this one though.), I suddenly was struck with the desire to turn things around and so randomly created an eevee evolution villain. I mean, in lots of stories, they’re always the heroes-they’re always good. They’re usually the ones kicking dark type butt. =/ So, in a sudden burst of inspiration, I made up my first eeveelution villain, now I have lots of them (though most aren’t in stories I’m planning to ever write down.) To me, a bloodthirsty Espeon is just plain awesome. =D


Now for how I portray villains:

I think of my main villains just as important to the story as my main protagonists. They’re just as much characters as the heroes are, and I try to put a lot of thought into them. I try to give them reasonable and clear motives (or at least explain their motives later if it’s part of the plot for the protagonists not to know right away), a reason for doing what they do, and a clear personality that doesn’t just stay the same throughout the story.

Also, I don’t consider the fact that villains do bad things to make them necessarily deserving of getting beaten up or whatnot. Ok, maybe some of them deserve it, but I rarely make it happen anyway. I don’t think the fact that my villains do wrong gives my good characters any right to mercilessly beat them, and if they do, they’re now the ones doing wrong, and it usually doesn’t turn out well for them. =3

So sort of…I’m against the whole “bad guys get what’s coming to them” thing, in terms of being humiliated and/or beaten up in a one-sided fight or whatever, because like I think I said before, some are more misguided than evil, and if I write about one of my villains getting defeated, I make sure they are defeated in a more “dignified” way. (Meaning that, for example, if a villain in one of my stories got defeated in a battle, they’d battle against the heroes fiercely until the very end, and show courage even when defeated.)



Well, those are my opinions. And remember, they’re just opinions, and I’m not saying stories with villains that aren’t like what I like write about are “bad” or anything like that; this is just what I find interesting and what I like to include in my own stories.

Anyway, I would like to hear what other people’s opinions are, as I’ve been wanting to start a topic about this for a long time, and I’m sure in some weird way hearing others’ opinions will inspire me to write my story and such. (Plus I just want to know! =3) So please, post your opinions! =D
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-

Last edited by Scytherwolf; 06-03-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixing a mistake
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Gem N Ems's Avatar
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my own world.
Posts: 6,807
Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Well, I like my villians that I created. The best, or kind of rocky duo, are Raze and Scythe.

You may be familiar with them. Raze is a Taillow and Scythe, an Absol. But they're not normal, no. Raze wasn't evil at first. You'll know what happened if you've read my fic.

Raze was kindhearted and very loyal. Then when the incident happened...well, you know. He's really sarcastic too, if you look at his lines. He may work with Scythe, but that doesn't mean he's fond of her. ^_^

Scythe is a gifted fighter, and a pure black Absol. But she has a secret, which I won't tell in case you're wondering. She's not a normal Absol, apart from her colour. She started off a gang at first. It was how you survived at the time. She's not as sarcastic as Raze, but she likes to play along with him. She's very loyal to her master and is a muderer probably a hundred times over.

So that's my evil duo. As for the eevee-lutions, I'd like to see an evil Leafeon somewhere. I can just imagine the razor sharp leaves on it. XD
__________________

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

I've made up a leafeon villian. >=3 It was fun.

I haven't read your story, but both your villains sound interesting...especially the taillow. Never seen a taillow villain before! I think it's cool that you've thought a lot about your villains' pasts-that's definately something I love to read about. ^-^
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Gem N Ems's Avatar
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my own world.
Posts: 6,807
Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Ah, so you're one of the people who haven't read my fic?

I'll encourage you, it gets interesting, but it's really up to you.

A character's past, in my opinion, makes up who they are. I mean, someone without a past isn't really anyone at all. To have an interesting character, or villian in this case, you need to treat them exactly like heroes.

Give them talents, quirks, faults ect., and also a past and personality to go with them.

Most villian stereotypes do get boring after a while, so try to make their actions vary. Then you won't know what to expect!
__________________

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Ok, I can try to read yours sometime^^

And yeah, exactly! I think as much about my villain characters' personalities and histories as I do my heros. I've read stories on other sites where the villains serve no purpose other than to make the heros look good by defeating them. They have no personality and always act mean and evil for a reason that's never explained, and they're really just two-dimensional characters. It sort of ruins the story for me when I read about villains like that. Though from what stories I've read here, the villains seem a lot more well thought out, and that's a really good thing!
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-

Last edited by Scytherwolf; 06-03-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Yay!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Larvinator's Avatar
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,140
Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Unnecessary bump for justice!

This is a good guide, though I disagree with you on the principle that all cowardly villains are bad. Villains with certain cowardly qualities are actually not too bad. Heck, Voldemort has a massive fear of death.

You hit the nail on the head with the Dark Pokemon thing. x.X But you have to admit that they're more likely to be villains, theoretically. Superstition around Pokemon like Absol or fear of monster-looking Pokemon like Houndoom would likely leave them outcast, and being without any friends because of your appearance and the whatnot is a good breeding ground for a more twisted, easily mislead mind. And some Dark Pokemon are just evil in general; Murkrow's dex entry says it leads travelers deep into the wilderness until they're hopelessly lost. Nonetheless, it's always possible for Pokemon like Jigglypuff or the Eeveelutions to be villains. Hm, a Jigglypuff villain...

I overanalyze things. xP But more power to you for fighting the norms of villainy and heroes!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The KKK Official Site
The Ku Klux Klan, LLC. has not or EVER will have ANY connection with The "Westboro Baptist Church".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larvinator View Post
Unnecessary bump for justice!

This is a good guide, though I disagree with you on the principle that all cowardly villains are bad. Villains with certain cowardly qualities are actually not too bad. Heck, Voldemort has a massive fear of death.

You hit the nail on the head with the Dark Pokemon thing. x.X But you have to admit that they're more likely to be villains, theoretically. Superstition around Pokemon like Absol or fear of monster-looking Pokemon like Houndoom would likely leave them outcast, and being without any friends because of your appearance and the whatnot is a good breeding ground for a more twisted, easily mislead mind. And some Dark Pokemon are just evil in general; Murkrow's dex entry says it leads travelers deep into the wilderness until they're hopelessly lost. Nonetheless, it's always possible for Pokemon like Jigglypuff or the Eeveelutions to be villains. Hm, a Jigglypuff villain...

I overanalyze things. xP But more power to you for fighting the norms of villainy and heroes!
Thanks. x3

But my post isn't a guide, just my weird opinions. And I never said that cowardly villains were "bad", only that I'm annoyed with them if they run away without putting up much of a fight. That's what I meant, I'm just bad at explaining things. D= I mean, villains have fears just like everyone else of course^^

I get what you're saying about the dark types, I'm fine with it as long as they have a reason for being the way they are. And the Murkrow thing interests me. I don't think it's evil, but now for some reason I feel like writing a short story as to WHY it leads travelers away. Maybe it is to try to protect its home from humans and so leads them far away from where its home is? *random thought* Hm...

I don't really think any one species is all evil or all good, it just depends on the individual. (And I think some things about dark types would be just superstition.) But...I think I think about this too much. =O
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM
scalec's Avatar
scalec Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Total Drama Island. And I will win!
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

I haven't written about a villian in my story yet. But I plan on making one. I just can't decide.
I like villians who are, in fact, villians. When writing or reading about them, I like them to be cruel and cunning. Villian inspiration is Disney Villians for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Yes, cruel and cunning is good! Oh yeah! I also like writing about villains who are cunning! I forgot that. =O I mean, each of my villains has his or her own personality, but I like to have at least one who's very cunning. Those types of villains are fun to write about, as are cruel ones. >=3
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Gem N Ems's Avatar
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my own world.
Posts: 6,807
Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
Yes, cruel and cunning is good! Oh yeah! I also like writing about villains who are cunning! I forgot that. =O I mean, each of my villains has his or her own personality, but I like to have at least one who's very cunning. Those types of villains are fun to write about, as are cruel ones. >=3
Yes! Cunning villians! I forgot to mention that too. XD

They're the best if they're smart. It helps the heroes try harder to defeat them.

Take my two for example, Raze may be sarcastic, but he's definitely the smart one.

Scythe doesn't act much on slyness, as you'll see, but rather acts more on impulse than anything else.
__________________

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latias_Rider View Post
Yes! Cunning villians! I forgot to mention that too. XD

They're the best if they're smart. It helps the heroes try harder to defeat them.

Take my two for example, Raze may be sarcastic, but he's definitely the smart one.

Scythe doesn't act much on slyness, as you'll see, but rather acts more on impulse than anything else.
Yes, very true! It's always more interesting when they're harder to defeat! Makes things more exciting! ^-^
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Gem N Ems's Avatar
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my own world.
Posts: 6,807
Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
Yes, very true! It's always more interesting when they're harder to defeat! Makes things more exciting! ^-^
Yep, and when battles are actually won by villians.

It shows that heroes aren't always as strong as they think they are.
__________________

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latias_Rider View Post
Yep, and when battles are actually won by villians.

It shows that heroes aren't always as strong as they think they are.
Yes, that too! It makes the story a lot more interesting if the villains win battles, and it's happened in many stories of mine. =D Stories are a lot more exciting to write when the villains are a big threat.
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Gem N Ems's Avatar
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my own world.
Posts: 6,807
Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
Yes, that too! It makes the story a lot more interesting if the villains win battles, and it's happened in many stories of mine. =D Stories are a lot more exciting to write when the villains are a big threat.
Exactly. That way you won't know what will happen, and it keeps the readers on their toes! (not literally of course) XP
__________________

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Scytherwolf's Avatar
Scytherwolf Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding from metal coats...
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latias_Rider View Post
Exactly. That way you won't know what will happen, and it keeps the readers on their toes! (not literally of course) XP
Yep^^ I like it when stories are unpredictable. It makes them so much fun to read! I like wondering about what's going to happen next when I read other people's stories.
__________________

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com