Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Kendo's Avatar
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,792
Send a message via AIM to Kendo
Question Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

Before you start reading this...

No, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm not supporting any wildlife or eco-friendly organizations (which comes with good reason: I'm not 16 years old yet)...

On with this...

Topic One: Okay, so since what seems like the beginning of time, man has been eating meat from other animals, and they still are today. That's fine with me. But it's not when you know SOME OF THEM are being gruesomely murdered in factories to become somebody's food. I don't think anybody should have to go through that, unless they really deserved it. Would YOU want to be butchered in a warehouse, only to be eaten? Probably not. Now, SOME of the animals may be aging, or close to dying. Then I think it would be fine to "put them out of their misery". Consider this: if animals could speak, most every human would be a vegetarian or a vegan. Maybe that could be a positive future...? Anywho...what do you think?

Topic Two: Think about this abstract idea: if a red squirrel went to a school with a high population of gray squirrels (who are nearly identical, only differ in size and area). If he told somebody that there were a lot of gray squirrels at his school, that'd be fine. But if a person tried to say something similar to that, chances are the other person would say something like "That's racist!" How is it okay to say it in the case of other living things, but not in our supposedly much more sophisticated society? And why are animals classified in species while humans are classified in ethnicities? Can't we call the grey and red squirrels two ethnicities of the same race instead of two species of the same genus? Or shouldn't it be the other way around? Which brings me to this: animals may not have electronics or machines, but they get along fine. Us humans have many useful tools and mechanics, but our world is far from perfect, and most people know that. We're also endangering other creatures and species, especially from pollution and cutting down forests. Are animals causing global warming? No. We are. If that's what society's come to, then we aren't as sophisticated as we may seem, or at least not all of us.

Topic Three: Here's the last subject of question: why are we known as humans when nearly EVERY OTHER CREATURE out there is known as an animal? Is a cuddly kitten so beastly that it must be labeled that? Why don't we call everything made up of a certain amount of cells an animal, including us, and leave it at that? Is that so hard? Now, I understand that "animal" may be used to classify anything that is not human, but if so, wouldn't animal stories call a hawk a hawk and categorize anything else as an animal? Because in their society, they must be at such a higher class than everyone else and state themselves higher than the others, labeling themselves in race rather than genus and kingdom. Have you noticed that they don't do that? I ALSO understand that humans actually are smarter than many known animals, but everything has its strengths and weaknesses. Most animals are armed with instinct, and can go off on their own from an early age. Human young are very dim-witted when compared to them, and usually stay with their parents for about 15-16-something years. And if they need to be formally taught by many, many other people, then that must make them dumb indeed. Granted, we are all equal: the humans turn out smarter than the other species out there-which means I am NOT calling anybody lesser than others, keep that in mind before giving me a possible flame. Also coming into play are the things other species can do that humans can't accomplish without machines. But, alas, I have already made my point.

Feel free to tell me what you think of any of any of these topics.
__________________
A very dumb story. Go read it.
~Kendo
Join my RPG...
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Dark Turtwig's Avatar
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Acually, can I crash at your place?
Posts: 4,249
Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

I agree with you on most all of your points. I mean, about animals being killed in a slaughterhouse, to then be eaten, is just wrong. Have you ever seen the movie Fast Food Nation? Don't if you don't like to throw up, and be disgusted with the state of the world more than you already are. Do see it if you really want to know what acually happens in the slaughterhouse, and what kind of meat you are acually eating. I almost went vegetarian after seeing that movie. That's why I ONLY eat beef from my friend's farm, where the cows are killed on the farm, and they are happy, and not crowded together. And when he does'nt have any beef to sell, I only eat buffalo from a ranch down in Oregon about a hundred miles or so from my house.
__________________
{Mah Linkz}

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Hoshika's Avatar
Hoshika Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: '»\(ಠ_ಠ)/»'
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

Humans aren't classified in different species by race because we are still too simliar to each other to be counted as seperate species. Also, people nowadays are just too sensitive about everything to not mind somebody saying there's a lot of "gray squirrels" in school. Even if you joke and say "You're black," even though the person has really dark skin, they'll say it's racist. It's like the N-word thing, sort of.

Humans are technically animals. I think the fact that lots of people don't consider humans to be animals (and animals to be animals) has to do with intelligence. I still believe many animals are smarter than most humans, though. :P

Slaughterhouses disgust me.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Ranma's Avatar
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,196
Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

1) I agree with the slaughterhouses. And I'd never be a vegatarian, if I did all I'd eat would be grains and dairy products. xD

2) So animals get alnog great even though they fight to the death over mates and leadership, and some species the mother eats the father / the children. (Black Widdow, Gerbil) And like Hoshika said, human races are too simialar to count as different species. The only differences really are color. =/

3) Humans are animals. We just normally say human so others no we're talking about humans. And we say animals to signify other animals instead of saying each animal that applies. And as for the growing up, most humans don't need to stay with their family so long, its just our society doesn't feel we are ready. Mind a seven-year-old can't easily go and kill some prey on his own without help, but all animals get trained how to hunt before they leave. =/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Poring's Avatar
Poring Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,197
Send a message via AIM to Poring
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

I agree with you on topic 1, Kendo. Although, if animals could speak, they wouldn't be able to say many interesting things. Animals aren't very smart. I don't see anything wrong with eating meat, though, since animals have been eating animals for a long time.

Topic 2: Your example wouldn't be considered racist. If there were a lot of Asian people at someone's school, someone saying, "There are a lot of Asian people at my school," would simply be stating a fact. Are the race demographics of countries in almanacs racist? Also, it doesn't really matter whether you call a kind of animal a species or an ethnicity. How does that bug you?

Topic 3: We <i>are</i> animals. We are part of the animal kingdom. Most people know this. We call each other humans because that's the name of our species. <_< Animals are not smarter than humans. That is a fact. Animals have certain abilities that humans do not, but they are still not as smart. Instinct also shows the difference between humans and other animals. Animals do not have choice. They go completely by instinct. And your argument that a human's need to be taught makes him dumb doesn't make sense. If you try to teach an animal the same way a human is taught, will it be able to learn the same way? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
Even if you joke and say "You're black," even though the person has really dark skin, they'll say it's racist.
"Black" is a generally accepted term, I think. When you say something like "African-American," it sounds like you're going out of your way to not sound racist. This, ironically, will make you seem racist.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Wandering Mew's Avatar
Wandering Mew Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Mitten State! :3
Posts: 1,299
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Topic One: Okay, so since what seems like the beginning of time, man has been eating meat from other animals, and they still are today. That's fine with me. But it's not when you know SOME OF THEM are being gruesomely murdered in factories to become somebody's food. I don't think anybody should have to go through that, unless they really deserved it. Would YOU want to be butchered in a warehouse, only to be eaten? Probably not. Now, SOME of the animals may be aging, or close to dying. Then I think it would be fine to "put them out of their misery". Consider this: if animals could speak, most every human would be a vegetarian or a vegan. Maybe that could be a positive future...? Anywho...what do you think?
Personally I don't like to think of where my meat comes from. >_> I mean, if I was a lioness or something, I'd probably starve because I couldn't kill an animal and eat it. But if you're that disturbed by it, buy kosher meat. They make sure the animal dies painlessly.

Also, what do you mean "if animals could speak"? Parrots are able to learn human language (yes, not just mimic it, actually speak it). Gorillas and other primates can use sign language. And although I'm not sure, but I think we found someway to communicate with dolphins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Topic Two: Think about this abstract idea: if a red squirrel went to a school with a high population of gray squirrels (who are nearly identical, only differ in size and area). If he told somebody that there were a lot of gray squirrels at his school, that'd be fine. But if a person tried to say something similar to that, chances are the other person would say something like "That's racist!" How is it okay to say it in the case of other living things, but not in our supposedly much more sophisticated society? And why are animals classified in species while humans are classified in ethnicities? Can't we call the grey and red squirrels two ethnicities of the same race instead of two species of the same genus? Or shouldn't it be the other way around? Which brings me to this: animals may not have electronics or machines, but they get along fine. Us humans have many useful tools and mechanics, but our world is far from perfect, and most people know that. We're also endangering other creatures and species, especially from pollution and cutting down forests. Are animals causing global warming? No. We are. If that's what society's come to, then we aren't as sophisticated as we may seem, or at least not all of us.
Wait, how do you know it would be okay? The gray squirrels might think it's racist, you never know. ;D Oh, and humans are classified in ethnicities because humans are all one species. Black humans and white humans are both humans, just as red squirrels and gray squirrels are both squirrels. Isn't that obvious? o_O

Oh, and animals do not "get along fine":

Animals fight over food, land, mates, power, etc. In fact, I think they fight over more things than we do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Topic Three: Here's the last subject of question: why are we known as humans when nearly EVERY OTHER CREATURE out there is known as an animal? Is a cuddly kitten so beastly that it must be labeled that? Why don't we call everything made up of a certain amount of cells an animal, including us, and leave it at that? Is that so hard? Now, I understand that "animal" may be used to classify anything that is not human, but if so, wouldn't animal stories call a hawk a hawk and categorize anything else as an animal? Because in their society, they must be at such a higher class than everyone else and state themselves higher than the others, labeling themselves in race rather than genus and kingdom. Have you noticed that they don't do that? I ALSO understand that humans actually are smarter than many known animals, but everything has its strengths and weaknesses. Most animals are armed with instinct, and can go off on their own from an early age. Human young are very dim-witted when compared to them, and usually stay with their parents for about 15-16-something years. And if they need to be formally taught by many, many other people, then that must make them dumb indeed. Granted, we are all equal: the humans turn out smarter than the other species out there-which means I am NOT calling anybody lesser than others, keep that in mind before giving me a possible flame. Also coming into play are the things other species can do that humans can't accomplish without machines. But, alas, I have already made my point.
We ARE animals, specifically in the mammal classification. "Human" is simply our species name, just as there is a species name for the cat, hawk, squirrel, toad, etc. Some people like to think that since we're smarter, we aren't animals though. Which is just dumb. :P

Have you noticed that humans live longer than most animals? I mean, we live fore nearly 100 years! But look at the average lifespan of a wolf. 15, maybe 16 years? Do you think maybe that's why we're able to take care of our young for over a decade while they take care of theirs for only about three years at the most?

It's because we are taught for so long that we come out smarter. It's been proven that animals that live in groups, raising their young together for a long time are more likely to survive. Because of this many mammals stay together during mating season and many mothers raise each others young.

And there's my argument for ya. :3 Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you on some points, but it just seems like you're hating on your own species a little too much here.
__________________



~Paired with the ever awesome Blaziken Knight!~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Surly Professor's Avatar
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Terra Incognita
Posts: 2,028
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

(1) Animals are killed in the wild in myriad horrendously torturous ways; ways that would make that slaughterhouse look like a soft warm bed.


(2) Idk, but there was an episode of 'My Gym Partner's a Monkey' just like that though.


(3) I am very much an animal.
I think you would get an enormous amount out of 'The Ancestor's Tale' by Dawkins.
You're asking a lot of good questions that are all right down that alley.
__________________

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Skittles91 Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Send a message via AIM to Skittles91
Default Re: Humans and Animals-What do they really mean to us...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Topic One: Okay, so since what seems like the beginning of time, man has been eating meat from other animals, and they still are today. That's fine with me. But it's not when you know SOME OF THEM are being gruesomely murdered in factories to become somebody's food.
Carnivorous animals essentially "gruesomely murder" other animals to become their food as well. I honestly don't think the setting of the "murder" makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo
Would YOU want to be butchered in a warehouse, only to be eaten? Probably not.
I wouldn't really want to have my throat ripped opened by a wolf's fangs either. You don't see me complaining about wolves killing other animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo
Topic Three: Here's the last subject of question: why are we known as humans when nearly EVERY OTHER CREATURE out there is known as an animal? Is a cuddly kitten so beastly that it must be labeled that? Why don't we call everything made up of a certain amount of cells an animal, including us, and leave it at that? Is that so hard?
All humans belong to the Animals Kingdom. Perhaps kittens are asking themselves why they are the only creature known as cats while every other creature is known as an animal. It's just the way that we, as humans, classify other creatures. I don't think the kittens will have their feelings hurt by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo
I ALSO understand that humans actually are smarter than many known animals, but everything has its strengths and weaknesses.
I would go on as far as to say that humans are smarter than all known creatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo
Most animals are armed with instinct, and can go off on their own from an early age. Human young are very dim-witted when compared to them, and usually stay with their parents for about 15-16-something years. And if they need to be formally taught by many, many other people, then that must make them dumb indeed.
I have to disagree with this statement. When an animal is born, as far as I know in almost every case, that animal is taught survival skills by its parents.

Also, take for example a rabbit. The average rabbit has approximately 5-15 year life expectancy with the oldest report being 18 years old(According to this site I found). The average human in the United States lives well into his or her 70s. For a creature that lives so much longer than a rabbit, you can only expect that it should take a human a little bit longer to fully develop than an animal with a much shorter life expectancy.
__________________

Last edited by Skittles91; 09-10-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com