Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 AM
-TheDude420 Offline
New Trainer

Default Dragons and Steels? I Laugh at You!

Before I start, I want to say thanks to Diarago who collaborated with me on this team. Thanks for all your help! If I've gained anything from this team, it's a new friend.

Are you tired of a meta game littered with Dragons and Steels? Personally, I am so I've set out to create a team that can defeat Dragons and Steels without resorting to using Dragons and Steels. It seems to me like we have forgotten about strong walls and have instead opted to run resistances instead. I've set out to prove that people don't need to use Dragons and Steels to counter Dragons and Steels. There are other ways to do it. So now, the team at a glance.

At first glance, my team doesn't look very effective. Even I can see that and I designed the team. So, I'm going to go over the team building process which will give you a look inside my head and let you see exactly why I chose each Pokemon. Feel free to skip this part.

Team Building

I started off by looking at the types that my team was supposed to be able to counter; Dragons and Steels. They are weak to Ice, Ground, Fire, Fighting respectively. This meant that I was going to need some kind of combination of the four to effectively take down opposing Dragons and Steels. Immediately Mamoswine popped into my head. With his dual stabs covering both Dragons and Steels he seemed like the perfect fit. Now, I need a Fire type. At first glance, Infernape seemed like a great fit. Again, his dual stabs offer great coverage in terms of Steel killing.

With my offensive front created, it was time to come up with a solid defense. The two biggest threats were going to be Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Latias and Outrage from Salamence. To counter Latias, I decided to simply run the strongest special wall in the game, Blissey. She does a nice job at sponging up any Draco Meteors that I might see. The next threat, Salamence was a bit trickier to counter. Stab Outrage is almost impossible to stop without using a Steel to counter it so I was going to need something whose specific purpose on the team is to switch into Outrages. That Pokemon is Ambipom. Why? Honestly, I don't know. But Ambipom is a great fit on this team and you'll see why later on in the descriptions. Once Salamence is locked into an Outrage, he's easy pickings for Mamoswine.

Now that the Dragons are taken care of, I had to figure out a way to combat opposing Steel types, mainly Scizor and Metagross. Rotom-A make great swich-ins to Steel types so I immediately put one on the team. I wanted some extra insurance against Scizor, so I decided to run a Gyarados as well.

So that left me with a team that looked something like this.

Now let's take a closer look.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Double Hit
---

Role: Ambipom has several roles on this team and it is really the glue that holds my entire team together. Ambipom makes a great lead. He breaks sashes, and Taunts Stealth Rock leads. Ambipom also does a great job at drawing Steel Pokemon out so that I can take care of them. It doesn't end there though. Ambipom makes a great revenge killer with Fake Out + Double Hit. But, the Ambipom's main role on this team is to switch into Outrages so that Mamoswine can get the revenge kill.

Moveset: Fake Out is for obvious reasons. When used along with Double Hit, I can revenge kill a wide variety of Pokes as well as getting rid of annoying sub users. Taunt lets me prevent support moves and U-tun lets me scout for Steels.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak
252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Superpower
- Ice Shard
---

Role: Mamoswine is the real start of this team. My strategy with Mamo is to bring it in on a severely weakened foe and Ice Shard it making my opponent think that I am Banded. Then I can surprise my opponent later on in the game by out speeding them with my Scarf. ScarfMamo can out speed so many threats in the metagame including max speed ScarfTran.

Moveset: Earthquake is for obvious reasons. Ice Fang is my most powerful Ice attack and lets me take down Flyers and Dragons. Superpower gives me added coverage on Steels, namely Bronzong. Ice Shard is my main form of revenge killing Dragons and it helps to deceive my opponent into thinking that I am Banded.

Blissey@ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
252 Def | 120 SpA | 136 SpD
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Toxic
---

Role: Blissey is my main switch in to Draco Meteor and she does a great job absorbing them. She also serves as an all purpose switch in to special sweepers and can stall most of them out.

Moveset: This is the basic Toxic stalling moveset. The only difference is I prefer Softboiled over Wish because I like having the instant recovery as opposed to having to Protect to recover. This helps to prevent people from out predicting me. Heatran gives this moveset problems but Gyarados can take on Heatran head to head.

Rotom-c @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
252 HP | 120 Def | 136 SpD
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-o-wisp
- Discharge
---

Role: Rotom is my switch in to Scizors and other offensive Steel types. Rotom is also my status absorber and can really stay in battles for a long time with Rest. Rotom cripples physical sweepers with WoW and special sweepers with Discharge if i get lucky. The reason that I'm running Rotom-c over the other formes is to try and fool my opponent into thinking that I carry Leaf Storm because bulky waters give my team some problems.

Moveset: I've already pretty much explained this in the description of Rotom's role. Rest and Sleep Talk allow me to absorb status for the rest of my team and help with survivability. WoW lets me cripple physical sweepers and Discharge lets me counter Gyarados and prevents me from being crippled by Taunt.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
156 HP | 108 Atk | 100 Def | 144 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
---

Role: Gyarados gives me more protection against Scizor and gives my team some offensive capabilities as well. Gyarados also helps me to cover Heatran and easily turns Heatran into set up fodder.

Moveset: Taunt is such an underrated move. It helps Gyarados to set up so easily. I run Earthquake so I can have added coverage against Steel types. I feel that Stone Edge isn't as effective because it doesn't really help me all that much against Gyarados' normal switch ins.

Infernape @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
64 Atk | 252 SpA | 192 Spe
Naive nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---

Role: Infernape started off as my late game sweeper but I find that I like bringing him in whenever I get a chance to. That's why I run Expert Belt over Life Orb. I like to keep Infernape alive as long as possible and Life Orb doesn't really let me do that. Once my opponent's team has been significantly weakened throughout the game Infernape can come in and finish things off with his amazing type coverage.

Moveset: Everybody should know this moveset. I run both Grass Knot and Hidden Power [Ice] to give myself as much coverage as possible.

rate/hate/steal!

I listen.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-
Default Re: Dragons and Steels? I Laugh at You!

It's either I bump this to promote some rates, or this be moved to the D/P strategy section, where more raters *seem* to go to more.

My Battle Log
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 AM
c_oh_lio Offline

Fantastic team! I am a huge fan of ambipom and mamoswine (I have both on my team) and although I have to admit I have a scizor... and like steel types, they get really annoying. Great coverage, and very good choices. You made yourself a well balanced team!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

This sounds like hot stuff. Got a log? It is easy to see how you counter stuff. Even though Rotom-C doesn't carry Leaf Storm, WoW hurts most bulky waters enough anyway, bar Milotic.

I think Return would be better on Ambipom, I don't recall very much Subbing going on at all in the metagame.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
This sounds like hot stuff. Got a log? It is easy to see how you counter stuff. Even though Rotom-C doesn't carry Leaf Storm, WoW hurts most bulky waters enough anyway, bar Milotic.

I think Return would be better on Ambipom, I don't recall very much Subbing going on at all in the metagame.
Well, Ambipom is meant to switch in and out of the game; he doesn't just die like most other leads. Besides, do the calculation; Double Hit does slightly more damage than Return with Technician.

My Battle Log