Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Jace_Guitar Offline
New Trainer

Default My buddy needs some help

My friend is making a new team and he would like you guys to rate it. Here it is.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Leviatate Timid
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Trick
Desc: He is playing this like an anti lead. It puts choice scarf on something on something that doesn't need it. He might use it as a revenge killer too.

Absol @ Focus Sash
Super Luck Hasty
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Taunt
Counter
Sucker Punch
Night Slash
Desc: He is going to send this out against a pokemon, counter because it will usually only have 1 hp left, and then sucker punch. Pretty straight forward.

Porygon 2 @ Leftovers
Trace Bold
252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpA
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover
Thunder Wave
Desc: A bolt beam wall thing. I think he might actually use this to switch into pokemon that have intimitate so it lowers their attack.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Oblivious Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Stone Edge
Superpower
Desc: Just kills. Maybe gets a revenge kill every now and then.

Dragonite @ leftovers
Inner Focus Adamant
252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Spe
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Roost
Desc: The bulky DD set. He just plays to play this the only way you can.

Infernape @ Life orb
Blaze Naive
252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Close Combat
U-turn
Stone Edge
Overheat
Desc: Just a physical based mix ape. He hits and retreats or just hits really hard.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: My buddy needs some help

I'm off paintballing and most sets are smogon standards, so just a couple of nitpicks. Psychic has moot coverage, Gengar wants Focus Blast in it's place. Switch him with absol too, that absol set is designed to be a lead and he cannot afford to lose gengar early on as it is his only special sweeper. The rest of the sets are fine. Needs moar special wallng plox, shove one in over dragonite/mamoswine since they're basically doing the same job. Not too bad overall, I'll edit later looking at more specific threats.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 AM
c_oh_lio Offline

He has a lot of good sweepers, but absolutely no defensive pokemon. If he's up against something like a curswine, paraflinch togekiss, cresselia, or shuckle, he could run into some serious trouble. I'd recommend using some of the aforementioned pokemon, or some good supporters.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
I'm off paintballing and most sets are smogon standards, so just a couple of nitpicks. Psychic has moot coverage, Gengar wants Focus Blast in it's place. Switch him with absol too, that absol set is designed to be a lead and he cannot afford to lose gengar early on as it is his only special sweeper. The rest of the sets are fine. Needs moar special wallng plox, shove one in over dragonite/mamoswine since they're basically doing the same job. Not too bad overall, I'll edit later looking at more specific threats.
First glance thing. I agree with most of what you said, espeically about the special walling. But I do think that Focus Blast isn't the only option, simply due to accuracy. Other options are HP Ice (which helps especially to revenge a DD Mence), Energy Ball, and the even more unreliable Hypnosis.