Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Aleeecks Offline

Default Having trouble putting together a team.

So I stopped playing my Pokemon Diamond for a very long time because of school work, and recently decided to get back into it.

I started breeding Pokemon but the projected lineup changed constantly because of realizations of common weaknesses the team would possess. Right now, I have:

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature, 156 HP, 108 Atk, 100, Def, 144 Spe EVs
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance

Gengar@Life Orb
Timid Nature. 4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe EVs.
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Hypnosis
-Focus Blast

Salamence@Choice Band
Naughty Nature, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe EVs
-Outrage
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold Nature, 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpAtk EVs
-Thunderbolt
-Toxic
-Softboiled
-Ice Beam

Not the most original movesets, I admit.

Right now, I lack both a good lead and a physical wall.

I was looking to Skarmory as a spiker and a physical wall. Would this be a good choice?
I am unsure of what I could use as a lead on this team. I think my offensive capabilities are sufficient, but I was thinking of replacing something with a Swampert with Ice Beam, Surf, Equake, and Stealth Rock. I notice that my Salamence has somewhat similar coverage. My last major issue is the lack of a good lead, and I have no idea what to use.

I am very open to any suggestions, even if they would require me to change the existing roster.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Alienshroom Offline

Default Re: Having trouble putting together a team.

A Magmortar would be nice in there.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Aleeecks Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
A Magmortar would be nice in there.
What Moves/EV spread/Nature/Item? :(
Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Tranquil Leafeon

You have one outdated Blissey. Though viable in Advance, that Blissey just doesn't stand up to the Special Attackers anymore. Try a spread like this:

Blissey@Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature (+SpDf -Atk)
EVs: 40 HP/252 Df/216 Df
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
-Seismic Toss
-Aromatherapy/Ice Beam

This Blissey doesn't die to any Special attack, period. It takes them like they are nothing. Thunder Wave or Toxic is preference, but you will be set-up fodder if you don't have T-Wave. Seismic Toss gives reliable damage. Aromatherapy supports your team, while Ice Beam gives you an attack to hit Ghosts. If you use Ice Beam, move the HP EVs to Special Attack, since adding more HP is by no means necessary when your minimum is 651.
More and more of these Azelf leads come back in later to spread paralysis
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Aleeecks Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absol Power View Post
You have one outdated Blissey. Though viable in Advance, that Blissey just doesn't stand up to the Special Attackers anymore. Try a spread like this:

Blissey@Leftovers
Calm Nature (+SpDf -Atk)
EVs: 40 HP/252 Df/216 Df
-Softboiled
-Thunder Wave/Toxic
-Seismic Toss
-Aromatherapy/Ice Beam

This Blissey doesn't die to any Special attack, period. It takes them like they are nothing. Thunder Wave or Toxic is preference, but you will be set-up fodder if you don't have T-Wave. Seismic Toss gives reliable damage. Aromatherapy supports your team, while Ice Beam gives you an attack to hit Ghosts. If you use Ice Beam, move the HP EVs to Special Attack, since adding more HP is by no means necessary when your minimum is 651.
Man, that sucks. I'll take your advice into consideration but I don't have access to Seismic Toss. I bred this Blissey in my Diamond and my Leaf Green is at the very beginning of the game. I know I said I'd be open to suggestions, and I'm not disputing how much more effective this moveset could be. The only problem is the massive amount of effort I'd have to put in playing the game and breeding a Blissey from scratch. Seismic Toss aside, do you have any other ideas?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Tranquil Leafeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeecks View Post
Man, that sucks. I'll take your advice into consideration but I don't have access to Seismic Toss. I bred this Blissey in my Diamond and my Leaf Green is at the very beginning of the game. I know I said I'd be open to suggestions, and I'm not disputing how much more effective this moveset could be. The only problem is the massive amount of effort I'd have to put in playing the game and breeding a Blissey from scratch. Seismic Toss aside, do you have any other ideas?
If you can't get Seismic Toss, you can use Aromatherapy in the last slot, and replace Seismic Toss with Ice Beam. In doing so, move the HP EVs to Special Attack, since Blissey needs all the SpAtk it can get. HP EVs are kind of overkill anyways, but the only other stat to put them in is Speed, which is by no means necessary. Seismic Toss is really preferred because Blissey is weak, but Ice beam will suffice. Use Thunder Wave so you aren't extreme setup fodder. Toxic is not a good option anymore.

About the rest of your team:
[INSANELY GENERIC STATEMENT]Your team looks a little MixApe weak.[/INSANELY GENERIC STATEMENT] Nasty Plotted MixApe can OHKO 3/4 of your team if it has Grass Knot and SR up. In order to help this, you might consider adding a Starmie to your team. It can Spin away SR, which relieves Mence and Gyara from so much damage, especially with Mence being Choiced. It also outspeeds 'Ape and KOs with Surf + any residual damage like SR or Life Orb. Resisting Ape's core moves, Starmie is built to kill it. Try this set:

Starmie@Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk)
EVs: 136 HP/156 Df/216 Spd
-Surf
-Rapid Spin
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

This Starmie gets rid of SR and Spikes, and can Recover off any damage. Natural Cure means that Toxic Spikes and random parahax or freeze hax won't cripple you. Surf kill Infernape, who your team needs to kill desperately, and Recover gives you back your health.

As for your questions, do NOT add a Swampert or Skarmory. You would have 4/6 of your team Infernape weak, which would seriously hold you back. As for a lead, I would either recommend an Anti-Lead Lucario since he resists 3 types which your team otherwise has no answer to and works well as a lead, or a lead Heatran. You can find both of those sets here, in the respective Pokemon's analysis. If you go with a Lucario lead, you can put SR on Blissey if you want in place of Aromatherapy, but it is not recommended.
More and more of these Azelf leads come back in later to spread paralysis