Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Sixto's Avatar
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,656
Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3r View Post
You must not go to clubs either, since every rapper on your avoid is played in the club. Listen to Drake also, he'll be huge in the upcoming years.
"Clubs" isn't everything. His list is pretty much dead on in terms of quality. If you want to hear someone tell a story or rap about actual things going on, listen to the "Should Be Listening to." If you want to dance and pay very little attention to the mediocre lyrics, listed to the "Avoid" list. ;)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Charbok's Avatar
Charbok Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 6,907
Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

I haven't listened to a ton of rap, but I think Fort Minor should be popped off the "sometimes" list and put on the good list. They may not always have the spoken feel on all their tracks, but in terms of lyricism, message and beats they're pretty sick. Busta Rhymes and Jay-Z are my other two favorites.
__________________
oh hi.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Fierce Deity's Avatar
Fierce Deity Offline
Ultra RPG Official
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,700
Send a message via AIM to Fierce Deity Send a message via MSN to Fierce Deity Send a message via Skype™ to Fierce Deity
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

I respect this list. Soulja Boy's songs make no sense whatsoever, yet they sell millions for being so damn catchy. I just listened to his "Turn My Swag On" and it's stuck in my head. @_@

And I suggest you put T.I. under "Listen To" list. "Dead And Gone" featuring Justin Timberlake was great, and nice meaning behind it, too.
__________________
URPG
POL Stats

WAR XI Team: .
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng's Avatar
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: What's a "location"?
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

I don't really listen to this kind of stuff. I prefer pop. Those few that I like... are in the ignore list. O_o
__________________
What's a "signature"?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Pokemon_Ron's Avatar
Pokemon_Ron Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: That thing in your pants
Posts: 6,964
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

IMO Lil wayne should be in the "what you should be listening to" catagory. if you dig deeper then just tha carter 3, you will find some real good stuff. like the song "me and my drank" is utterly amazing IMO
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-25-2009, 04:23 AM
fullmetal's Avatar
fullmetal Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
IMO Lil wayne should be in the "what you should be listening to" catagory. if you dig deeper then just tha carter 3, you will find some real good stuff. like the song "me and my drank" is utterly amazing IMO
He still is rather stupid and gets high off cough syrup and dealt crack, keep in mind this guy is loaded with cash.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Pokemon_Ron's Avatar
Pokemon_Ron Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: That thing in your pants
Posts: 6,964
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
He still is rather stupid and gets high off cough syrup and dealt crack, keep in mind this guy is loaded with cash.
alot of rappers were in the drug trade and why would you say hes stupid. just because you dont like him dosnt mean you gotta say that
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-25-2009, 04:48 AM
fullmetal's Avatar
fullmetal Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
alot of rappers were in the drug trade and why would you say hes stupid. just because you dont like him dosnt mean you gotta say that
He's stupid because no one gets high off cough syrup unless they wanna sound like him plus he has enough money why the hell would he sell crack at that?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Pokemon_Ron's Avatar
Pokemon_Ron Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: That thing in your pants
Posts: 6,964
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
He's stupid because no one gets high off cough syrup unless they wanna sound like him plus he has enough money why the hell would he sell crack at that?
give me proof that he still sells crack? and his singing is just unique. plus ive seen him live and his singing sounds differant live like alot of rappers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 AM
fullmetal's Avatar
fullmetal Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
give me proof that he still sells crack? and his singing is just unique. plus ive seen him live and his singing sounds differant live like alot of rappers
Apparently Lil' Wayne is a Crip, and sold crack for them and himself he's featured in a Juelz Santana song about dealing crack and whatnot. If I ever find the article I read about this, I'll send it to you. Also he raps, and doesn't sing. He sounds different because high amounts of cough syrup destroy people's vocal cords. The crack thing could be completely wrong, though I believe it.

Last edited by fullmetal; 07-25-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Pokemon_Ron's Avatar
Pokemon_Ron Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: That thing in your pants
Posts: 6,964
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Apparently Lil' Wayne is a Crip, and sold crack for them and himself he's featured in a Juelz Santana song about dealing crack and whatnot. If I ever find the article I read about this, I'll send it to you. Also he raps, and doesn't sing. He sounds different because high amounts of cough syrup destroy people's vocal cords. The crack thing could be completely wrong, though I believe it.
yeh he actually is a crip and did sell crack for them in 2005 till he got busted.

and hes been rapping like that since 1999 when he first appeared on the hip-hop scene
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Sean's Avatar
Sean Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to Sean
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

I definitely would have put Wayne on the Must Listen To section when he released his Dedication mixtapes, Tha Carter II and Da Drought 3. However, after DD3, he started to severely decline. Tha Carter III was a huge disappointment, his verses on almost every song that he's on (Ludacris' Last of a Dying breed is an exception, he did awesome).

To be frank, Wayne is inconsistent.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Pokemon_Ron's Avatar
Pokemon_Ron Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: That thing in your pants
Posts: 6,964
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I definitely would have put Wayne on the Must Listen To section when he released his Dedication mixtapes, Tha Carter II and Da Drought 3. However, after DD3, he started to severely decline. Tha Carter III was a huge disappointment, his verses on almost every song that he's on (Ludacris' Last of a Dying breed is an exception, he did awesome).

To be frank, Wayne is inconsistent.
Tha Carter 3 had some songs that showed the emotional side of lil wayne. for example, listen to the song "me and my drank". he is depressed and rapping about his highschool sweetheart.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Stardy's Avatar
Stardy Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jolly Ol' England
Posts: 5,302
Send a message via Skype™ to Stardy
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Nice list, checked out some of the guys you mentioned and checked them out, and enjoyed them, a lot, although there are a few things I would change. For one, LL Cool J to Who can either be really awful or really good depending on the track. You yourself said that his old stuff was good in the list. ;P

Another is move Fort Minor to the You Should be Listening To list, because there really isn't a bad track on their album, except maybe Petrified.

And Lil' Wayne to the Ignore list. Although this is basicly out of the "**** Lil Wayne" mindset I have and the fact I hate everything I have heard from him. Opinion though, because a lot of other people like him. That guy that posted above me for one. ¬.¬

I would add Asher Roth to the Who can either be really awful or really good depending on the track and TIMZ to the You Should be Listening To as well. Asher Roth because he is gaining in popularity lately, and his Mixtape was great and his album was decent, however has had a few bad songs on both. And TIMZ is awesomely underrated. Mainly because his stuff is rare, I guess. His MySpace has some of his stuff on though. Like Iraq. Also, Necro to Ignore and Ill Bill to Listen To. Necro because, well, he really isn't good. At all. And not because he does Death Rap or whatever. Just because... yeah. Bill is great though. Finally, John Cena to the awful/great list, he had an above average rap album with a few great tracks, few bad though, not for everybody either way. Also Tha Trademarc to the good list.

I can attempt to help if you want, though I know little about rap. o;
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealboy View Post
Oh, you started Pe2k at the same age as me (12), you go to College and you're from England. In my head this all adds up to:

Stardy = awesome

Last edited by Stardy; 08-05-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
iReign's Avatar
iReign Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: hmm
Posts: 2,193
Send a message via AIM to iReign Send a message via MSN to iReign Send a message via Skype™ to iReign
Default Re: Hip-Hop 101: Who you should be listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardy View Post
Nice list, checked out some of the guys you mentioned and checked them out, and enjoyed them, a lot, although there are a few things I would change. For one, LL Cool J to Who can either be really awful or really good depending on the track. You yourself said that his old stuff was good in the list. ;P

Another is move Fort Minor to the You Should be Listening To list, because there really isn't a bad track on their album, except maybe Petrified.

And Lil' Wayne to the Ignore list. Although this is basicly out of the "**** Lil Wayne" mindset I have and the fact I hate everything I have heard from him. Opinion though, because a lot of other people like him. That guy that posted above me for one. ¬.¬

I would add Asher Roth to the Who can either be really awful or really good depending on the track and TIMZ to the You Should be Listening To as well. Asher Roth because he is gaining in popularity lately, and his Mixtape was great and his album was decent, however has had a few bad songs on both. And TIMZ is awesomely underrated. Mainly because his stuff is rare, I guess. His MySpace has some of his stuff on though. Like Iraq. Also, Necro to Ignore and Ill Bill to Listen To. Necro because, well, he really isn't good. At all. And not because he does Death Rap or whatever. Just because... yeah. Bill is great though. Finally, John Cena to the awful/great list, he had an above average rap album with a few great tracks, few bad though, not for everybody either way. Also Tha Trademarc to the good list.

I can attempt to help if you want, though I know little about rap. o;
I disagree with that statement. I believe he should stay right where he is. I find that his mixtapes > his albums. If you would dig a little deeper one Youtube than just maybe the front page of Lil Wayne search results, you'd find some pretty good songs, and maybe even some with a message. I must admit that Tha Carter III was a disappointment, with only really one track that I REALLY like (Mr. Carter), but Tha Carter and Tha Carter II were really good. I find that his verses were a lot better before he dropped Tha Carter III as well. In my opinion, Wayne can be a monster on someone elses song, but his own can be kind of lack luster. Therefor, he is placed where he should stay.
__________________

life is a btch, but i appreciate her
AIM: ireignorshine
urpg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com