Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Phantom Kat's Avatar
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my strretchy pants
Posts: 5,018
Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
You missed my point. All you do is post in stories. You're never on AIM and rarely battle or even post outside of them except to approve things. So in essence, you're just another story mod just like how Mike is basically a reffing mod.
Quote me, and I'm going to quote you back. xP

I'm never on AIM because I don't want to be invited to some perveted chats. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be in some FFA, waiting for the ref to ref, and being bombarded by pointless and idiotic messages. Sometimes I just want to browse the net without talking to people. Like I told Emma and countless other people, if you want me to be on AIM, VM/PM me, I'll be happy to log on. People just never want to do that, though, so I don't get on AIM.

Second of all, I battle on the forum, mostly basic battles to evolve my Pokemon. Sometimes, I do a battle with my evolved Pokemon. Just because I don't do gym battles or AIM battles doesn't mean I don't battle. (I joined the Beta Test Risk, as well).

I'm not a ref, I'm not into contests, where else do you want me to post other than Forum Battles, Story Boards, Trainer's Court, and General Chat?

I'm not saying that I don't mostly concentrate on stories because it's true; writing is my forte, and I enjoy being there. However, don't tell me that's all I do (plus approve stuff). :/

- Kat
__________________

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 09-18-2009 at 01:58 AM.
  #32  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 AM
iReign's Avatar
iReign Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: hmm
Posts: 2,193
Send a message via AIM to iReign Send a message via MSN to iReign Send a message via Skype™ to iReign
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Quote me, and I'm going to quote you back. xP

I'm never on AIM because I don't want to be invited to some perveted chats. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be in some FFA, waiting for the ref to ref, and being bombarded by pointless and idiotic messages. Sometimes I just want to browse the net without talking to people. Like I told Emma and countless other people, if you want me to be on AIM, VM/PM me, I'll be happy to log on. People just never want to do that, though, so I don't get on AIM.

Second of all, I battle on the forum, mostly basic battles to evolve my Pokemon. Sometimes, I do a battle with my evolved Pokemon. Just because I don't do gym battles or AIM battles doesn't mean I don't battle. (I joined the Beta Test Risk, as well).

I'm not a ref, I'm not into contests, where else do you want me to post other than Forum Battles, Story Boards, Trainer's Court, and General Chat?

I'm not saying that I don't mostly concentrate on stories because it's true; writing is my forte, and I enjoy being there. However, don't tell me that's all I do (plus approve stuff). :/

- Kat
All of the below is not meant to offend in any way.

By him saying that that is indeed all you do, he means from a broader standpoint. Rarely are you seen in the battles section, but you're always in the story boards and approving things, so it is safe for one to assume that you are only active in the story boards. Just like with Mike, he's only written like one story (correct me if I'm wrong), so it is safe to say that all he does is battle and ref. Tyranitar Trainer for example, is active in all three and is a great example of what a URPG Mod should be like. She's active in the battle section, the story boards, and the National Park.

Regarding the FFA chats, if it really gets that bad you could just ignore everyone excluding the ref.

Finally, you aren't really that active in the Trainer Court, and excuse me if I'm wrong, but mods are supposed to do that, even if from time to time. It really is just the same people posting, either saying yay or nay, and then the thread dies.

Once again, I am not saying I disagree with your modding, but the people here have made some valid points.
__________________

life is a btch, but i appreciate her
AIM: ireignorshine
urpg
  #33  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Leman's Avatar
Leman Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: You have one guess
Posts: 8,639
Send a message via AIM to Leman
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

The more posts that get posted, the more it seems that its just Haze being bitter that he did not get a green name, and everyone else just bandwagoning. =/ That's just what its starting to look like to me.

I think a new story mod is fine. It sort of balances out the massive number of battling officials that we have. (I think like 5/6 of us are battlers mainly).

@Ireign: Tyranitar Trainer is not a URPG mod, iirc. I don't think that the idea that people are only active in one area is valid enough to demod them. All of the mods are fairly one dimensional. Except like Chris, back when he did things.
__________________
My VPP

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)



Last edited by Leman; 09-18-2009 at 02:39 AM.
  #34  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Dr Scott's Avatar
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 6,277
Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

IMO, who the council members / URPG Moderators are should have more to do with maturity, unbiaseness, and a clear mind than activity or friendship. No, I'm not saying that activity and the like shouldn't be a big part, but just because someone is well-liked and active doesn't mean they should be a moderator. Honestly, if you're good friends with a 'clique' you're less likely to punish said friends or listen to someone who is generally disliked by said friends.

Sometimes doing things right means you're going to be disliked for a while, and any potential moderator should be ready to accept this and also able to do this.

This all being said, I believe Kat has a good head about her, and was obviously good enough to get herself a moderator spot besides the point. Officials do a great job as well of making things are running smoothly. So, I don't see a problem with how things currently are.
__________________

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."

Last edited by Dr Scott; 09-18-2009 at 02:45 AM.
  #35  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 AM
TheEvilDookie's Avatar
TheEvilDookie Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,983
Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

I love how this escalated from one or two simple issues to everyone upset about how urpg is run. :P

Instead of arguing any further why not take action?

/inb4 someone yells at me that nothing will happen
__________________


^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
  #36  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Phantom Kat's Avatar
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my strretchy pants
Posts: 5,018
Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReign View Post
All of the below is not meant to offend in any way.

By him saying that that is indeed all you do, he means from a broader standpoint. Rarely are you seen in the battles section, but you're always in the story boards and approving things, so it is safe for one to assume that you are only active in the story boards. Just like with Mike, he's only written like one story (correct me if I'm wrong), so it is safe to say that all he does is battle and ref. Tyranitar Trainer for example, is active in all three and is a great example of what a URPG Mod should be like. She's active in the battle section, the story boards, and the National Park.

Regarding the FFA chats, if it really gets that bad you could just ignore everyone excluding the ref.

Finally, you aren't really that active in the Trainer Court, and excuse me if I'm wrong, but mods are supposed to do that, even if from time to time. It really is just the same people posting, either saying yay or nay, and then the thread dies.

Once again, I am not saying I disagree with your modding, but the people here have made some valid points.
Well, let me just say again that I AM in the battle section, and not just rarely. They're not gym battles nor cool three versus three, but I do battle on a daily basis (just not right now due to limited time after school). I used to be a gym leader, and I did like the position, but I resigned simply because I wasn't that good.

I do agree that being more active will make me a better URPG moderator. I am planning to become active in the National Park, whenever I have time to actually sit down and try to understand how the Park works.

And this may be slightly off-topic, just because I hadn't realized this when I first posted, but is being active in AIM really that much of a big deal? Will battling more on a messenger and joining FFAs make me a better moderator? Threads in the URPG are made whenever somebody voices a compaint towards URPG staff. Officials have their own board in which we post concerns. AIM, in my opinion, is not really needed if I need to communicate with other URPG members or staff members.

- Kat

EDIT: Jesus, do I type slow or what? O-o
__________________

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
  #37  
Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Perhaps not participating in FFA's, but interacting with the members in the AIM chat gives you a better idea of the process behind the vast majority of battles. But, IMHO, being a good Mod is about:
-Knowing the precise rules of the URPG
-Solving questions and commenting on new ideas.
-Jurisdiction on Area of Expertise (in your case, stories)
-Active communication with members.
-Not abusing your power =P
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
  #38  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Loyal Arcanine's Avatar
Loyal Arcanine Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 8,833
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
IMO, who the council members / URPG Moderators are should have more to do with maturity, unbiaseness, and a clear mind than activity or friendship. No, I'm not saying that activity and the like shouldn't be a big part, but just because someone is well-liked and active doesn't mean they should be a moderator. Honestly, if you're good friends with a 'clique' you're less likely to punish said friends or listen to someone who is generally disliked by said friends.

Sometimes doing things right means you're going to be disliked for a while, and any potential moderator should be ready to accept this and also able to do this.

This all being said, I believe Kat has a good head about her, and was obviously good enough to get herself a moderator spot besides the point. Officials do a great job as well of making things are running smoothly. So, I don't see a problem with how things currently are.
I agree with the characteristics you stated as required for being a good mod. I do want to add that activity is one of the most important, if not the most important aspect of being a mod. Being involved with the people and knowing what the people want is also really important, and I felt that when I was in my prime days of activity, that was really one aspect I had and other mods seemed to lack. Some of them had no idea what was living among the community (and @ Kat: AIM does really help to get that idea).

That being said, what being a mod comes down to is very well put by Marth in the post above me. And really, I believe Kat is perfectly suited to doing those jobs. Kat has excelled in her work in the story board, sure. But Haze has excelled in the battle/ref department, and I don't see anyone complaining that he's been promoted while technically I have that area covered?

URPG needs active moderators, and once active people like Haze and Kat have shown a maturity and unbiasedness and a certain common sense, and the moderators believe they are capable of doing the job Marth listed, they should get modded, whether they focus on battling or stories or whatever. Kat is not modded to replace Emma or Galleon, or because Emma and Galleon are doing a bad job. She's modded to do a part in running the URPG, not the story board.

And continuing the topic of section-based mods on a more personal note, I do kind of resent being called the ref/battle mod. I've done my fair share of work for the URPG over the years, not just in that section. I've ran a lot of events, held the year awards in various years, and I've done a lot in just dealing with issues and helping the URPG move on. There was a time where I had to run practically everything by myself. I know my activity lately has not been up there the way it has been in the past. But again I want to show you guys that being a URPG moderator is not just based on whatever section you do a lot of good work in. It's about keeping URPG up and running, especially when issues arrive. And yes, I do believe activeness is a very, very important element to that, which is why I'm really glad Haze and Kat are now on the team.

Having said all that, I'd like to say well done to HKim for the effort he's putting in. There's still a lot to fix and I'd like to talk to you about that sometime soon, so find me on AIM.

Last edited by Loyal Arcanine; 09-18-2009 at 01:22 PM.
  #39  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Dog of Hellsing's Avatar
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: *Smacks with Zanpakuto* STALKER!
Posts: 8,768
Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Town Meetings = epic idea, Harry ^^.

As for the Council thing...eh, I'm happy with just being Park leader ^^. If I have an issue or need a URPG Mod, I can always pester Scott or Harry, since I don't have any real power outside of taking care of the Park (and probably don't have any power to make major decisions regarding it, since technically I'm still a regular member).

And Harry, you're more than welcome. I'm always willing to help when you need it ^^.
__________________
Paired with Shen, the most epic Bleach fan around :3
URPG Stats/National Park Info/Coordinator Stats

^Rock Musical Bleach^
  #40  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Haze's Avatar
Haze Offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,895
Send a message via AIM to Haze
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
IMO, who the council members / URPG Moderators are should have more to do with maturity, unbiaseness, and a clear mind than activity or friendship. No, I'm not saying that activity and the like shouldn't be a big part, but just because someone is well-liked and active doesn't mean they should be a moderator. Honestly, if you're good friends with a 'clique' you're less likely to punish said friends or listen to someone who is generally disliked by said friends.
That wasn't directed at me or anything. :)

Drama is awesome, isn't it guys?
  #41  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:15 PM
The Jr Trainer's Avatar
The Jr Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 8,426
Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Town Meetings, are you're going to call them, could be done any time ... in fact we already have that idea in the URPG. Just no one takes the time to use it, we have a forum to message over, an instant messenger to communicate with each other. We shouldn't need a whole event to have ideas brought up, because we should have all of the members and officials and moderators already be talking to each other about problems they see that arise. That's the point of having such a huge community, because we can't pick and choose all the problems out if there is only 20 of us, but with a large community of 100+ everyone has the opporunity to point out things that they think should be fixed.


also lol at Marth "not abusing your power"
__________________
  #42  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Fenix's Avatar
Fenix Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Secret Base, Route 110
Posts: 1,139
Send a message via AIM to Fenix
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBreon View Post
Just posting so people don't misinterpret my lack of input as not caring.
^Agree :P

Well, actually, I did post in URPG Chat, but in hindsight here might have been a better place. Just thought more people might see it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
Oh man, I fall off the radar for a few weeks and come back to a really big mess... :X

First of all I'd like to apologize for my recent inactivity. Within the past month I have went to San Diego for a week, my family has moved unexpectedly and I have moved back into and began college. The stars aligned in such a way that has prevented me from being very active during this time period, but please know that I always had every intention of returning at the soonest possible moment. Unfortunately, the soonest possible moment happened to be when I got wind that there was a lynching mob after me. :P

I fully understand everyone's outrage over my promotion and I'll admit, I would probably also be confused if I saw someone getting a promotion who hadn't been on for several weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Also, just a thought that popped into my head. Fenix hasn't been on since, iirc, the 28th. Unless you agreed it on or before then, and it just took Ryan over 2 weeks to make them 'mods' (which seems unlikely), Fenix wouldn't have been consulted on this. What if she doesn't want to have mod powers? What if she doesn't want people to think of her as a mod? :x
I do, however, have to agree with this post. I had no idea I was promoted until I signed on tonight after Kim left me a voicemail and saw all of the uproar. I'll also admit that I'm not always the easiest person to contact if I'm not online; I'm not trying to pass the blame. I just wanted everyone to know that if I had been aware of this sooner, I most definitely would have made a huge effort to be more active and do productive things. I didn't think a couple weeks off would be a big deal, and time also passed much faster than I realized it was, but I can see now how bad it looks for me to be missing right after receiving a promotion.

I'll also admit though that I did know I was being considered for the promotion, I just didn't have a time frame of when it could possibly happen. It was irresponsible of me, no matter how we look at it, to drop off of the board like I did when I did, and I am truly sorry for anyone I have inconvenienced or upset.

While I would enjoy being able to serve the URPG on a higher level, I recognize and understand that my activity has been questionable and I want what is best for URPG, even if me being in a higher position doesn't fit that bill.

Do with me what you must, just know that I'll still be supporting the URPG from any position I may be in and that I am very sorry for the way this whole situation has turned out.
Aside from that, I just wanted to say that it makes me kind of sad to see so many members angrily taking stabs at one another in this thread. People have specializations for a reason; some people are just more skilled at certain things than other people. Since when is it something negative to have an expertise in one area and leave the others alone? If you're a story person and rarely battle, it's not really in the best interest for you to be trying to take charge of the battle section anyway, and vice versa.

Additionally and somewhat related, everyone knows Mikey is most active with battling and reffing, but that doesn't mean his contributions to other areas over time should be trivialized. I too resented those comments that were made about him.

Some people really should try and calm down and take a few steps back from the conversation at hand before posting. Presenting your argument with a clear mind is always more effective than posting while in an uproar.


PS- Why does everyone stop posting when I do? D:

Last edited by Fenix; 09-19-2009 at 01:50 AM.
  #43  
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 AM
Jack of Clovers's Avatar
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the world of fantasy...
Posts: 10,388
Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dap04 View Post
Old Leader- Jack (if he is active, his input would be welcome)
I'm still here. My availability for discussion (URPG, Forum, whatever) is always open and I don't mind sharing/receiving input anytime.

Appreciate the nomination, Dap. But I'm going to stick with my old URPG habits for now.

~Jack~
__________________
Thanks PE2K for all the memories.

-| Links |-
  #44  
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Lusitania Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,119
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Quote me, and I'm going to quote you back. xP

I'm never on AIM because I don't want to be invited to some perveted chats. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be in some FFA, waiting for the ref to ref, and being bombarded by pointless and idiotic messages. Sometimes I just want to browse the net without talking to people. Like I told Emma and countless other people, if you want me to be on AIM, VM/PM me, I'll be happy to log on. People just never want to do that, though, so I don't get on AIM.

Second of all, I battle on the forum, mostly basic battles to evolve my Pokemon. Sometimes, I do a battle with my evolved Pokemon. Just because I don't do gym battles or AIM battles doesn't mean I don't battle. (I joined the Beta Test Risk, as well).

I'm not a ref, I'm not into contests, where else do you want me to post other than Forum Battles, Story Boards, Trainer's Court, and General Chat?

I'm not saying that I don't mostly concentrate on stories because it's true; writing is my forte, and I enjoy being there. However, don't tell me that's all I do (plus approve stuff). :/

- Kat
I think you might be missing the point. The fact is, AIM is one of the main dynamics of URPG, and it would affect URPG more if AIM went down for a week than if the forum did. We have a URPG back up forum, there is no back up AIM.

By going on AIM you get to know the members, form bonds, and make sure that you are an active part of URPG, which, at the moment, I daresay you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReign View Post
All of the below is not meant to offend in any way.

By him saying that that is indeed all you do, he means from a broader standpoint. Rarely are you seen in the battles section, but you're always in the story boards and approving things, so it is safe for one to assume that you are only active in the story boards. Just like with Mike, he's only written like one story (correct me if I'm wrong), so it is safe to say that all he does is battle and ref. Tyranitar Trainer for example, is active in all three and is a great example of what a URPG Mod should be like. She's active in the battle section, the story boards, and the National Park.

Regarding the FFA chats, if it really gets that bad you could just ignore everyone excluding the ref.

Finally, you aren't really that active in the Trainer Court, and excuse me if I'm wrong, but mods are supposed to do that, even if from time to time. It really is just the same people posting, either saying yay or nay, and then the thread dies.

Once again, I am not saying I disagree with your modding, but the people here have made some valid points.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
IMO, who the council members / URPG Moderators are should have more to do with maturity, unbiaseness, and a clear mind than activity or friendship. No, I'm not saying that activity and the like shouldn't be a big part, but just because someone is well-liked and active doesn't mean they should be a moderator. Honestly, if you're good friends with a 'clique' you're less likely to punish said friends or listen to someone who is generally disliked by said friends.

Sometimes doing things right means you're going to be disliked for a while, and any potential moderator should be ready to accept this and also able to do this.

This all being said, I believe Kat has a good head about her, and was obviously good enough to get herself a moderator spot besides the point. Officials do a great job as well of making things are running smoothly. So, I don't see a problem with how things currently are.
Yea, but half the council members aren't active in URPG at all, including you Scott.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
-Not abusing your power
Because you know soooo much about that.
  #45  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
Because you know soooo much about that.
It's funny how you quoted the last part of the post, yet you didn't add the "=P", which implied the irony I had while writting that, thus acknowledging the awareness of the past event.
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com