Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Stories

Stories Write a story to catch Pokemon. A Grader will then decide if it catches or not.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Eraizaa-kun
Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by How to Write Stories
The Title--> Luring Readers

Please don't put {Need Grader}, {Ready for Grade}, or {Work in Progress} in your thread title.
All you need in the subject is the title of your story. That's it. A Grader will come around and eventually your story will be graded. Have patience. Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed this rule has been there forever, but, I have never seen anyone get scolded for doing that. I've never seen any negative concequence for it, and in fact, writing that in the title helps Graders know which story grade and which story isn't ready yet.

So...what's the point of that rule again?

Maybe it should be edited out since no one pays attention to it so that us Goodie-Two-Shoes won't feel bad if we add that to the title of our stories.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

Yeah, I noticed this rule has been there forever, but, I have never seen anyone get scolded for doing that. I've never seen any negative concequence for it, and in fact, writing that in the title helps Graders know which story grade and which story isn't ready yet.

Maybe it should be edited out since no one pays attention to it so that us Goodie-Two-Shoes won't feel bad if we add that to the title of our stories.
... that's a rule? *gets whip ready for people who carelessly defy this law*
Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Lunar Wing Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Wing

Quote:

You know I also wondered about that.. (I didn't put it in my title although it is finished so don't hit me Khajmer :P)
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Sequentio Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sequentio

I think that having such things in the title are helpful, especially to absent minded graders such as myself. :x

I think there should be a rule stating you need to have [Needs Grade] or [Graded] in the title.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
AmericanTreeFrog Offline

Send a message via AIM to AmericanTreeFrog

I like to pojnt out there is a reason for this rule, you need not put {need grade} in the title, someone will eventually get to your story, it is distracting.

Other URPG site (more active): http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Send a message via AIM to DarkGardevoir Send a message via MSN to DarkGardevoir

Since people will only put (Need a Grader), (GRADE PLEASE) and the likes right after they finish the story, it just gives off the feeling of unpatience and sloppiness to me.

Unpatience, because the only purpose of putting it is to grab a grader's attention, even when your story title isn't interesting, and in this regard it's no different from said person sending you a PM to grade the story.

Sloppiness, because it sort of breaks the charm of a person reading a story for fun. Being reminded at the top of each post (for those who notice, anyway) that the story wants to be graded can be just as disrupting as bad wording, and makes the story look more rushed.

It also gives the feeling of people not writing a story just for the story itself, but only because they want new pokemon- which, to a degree, is what everyone wants from a URPG story, but for that there's story deals or other ways to get pokemon.

This said, it's just my opinion. I'm probably feeling more touchy than I should, but I really don't see any reason for taking it out, let alone forcing people to put the (Grader Needed) sign

EDIT: ATF beat me to it :x

And eli, what should Emma and George do to people who break this rule? Making their story void and banning them from the story board? Let's get serious, please. It's not like people can do much to avoid it apart from telling them, and mods have enough on their hands than editing this stuff.

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: the alimighty ranger station
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.

Last edited by DarkGardevoir; 12-13-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon

That rule is there for a few reasons: 1) It makes the board look sloppy 2) Distracts from the titles, 3) People wouldn't edit the memo out of their title after their story had been graded, thus making it even more confusing as to which stories needed grading, 4) In times of inactivity, there would be pages of [NEEDS GRADE], and would be overwhelming for the graders, etc..

I used to make posts in this thread to remind people not to do this when it became a problem, or simply just edit the message out of the title for the occasional story.

It's not a big deal, which is why we aren't Nazi's about enforcing this rule. Just please don't make a habit out of doing it; you can post here for a grade if you've been waiting a while.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGardevoir View Post
And eli, what should Emma and George do to people who break this rule? Making their story void and banning them from the story board?
ON SECOND THOUGHT, I LIKE THIS IDEA BETTER

Last edited by EmBreon; 12-13-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

The rule is probably there to avoid sloppiness and to teach authors some patience, I guess. (EDIT: Emma's reasons are better. :P) Besides, if you frequent the story boards, you get an idea of what stories have been graded and which haven't, especially with the rather slow activity nowadays. Also, people shouldn't be forced to put {Grader Needed} in the title for reasons stated before.

If people want to let graders know that their story is ungraded, do what I do: put "Ready to be graded." as the first line of your first post, so that when the grader puts their mouse pointer on the story title, it's the first words they see. Or you can put the story link in your signature. :p

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

All these are excellent points.

Alright, I agree with you guys. The rule is there for a reason and it should be respected by others. What to do about those who don't follow it?...umm...nothing I guess, but, still. = )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGardevoir View Post
And eli, what should Emma and George do to people who break this rule? Making their story void and banning them from the story board? Let's get serious, please. It's not like people can do much to avoid it apart from telling them, and mods have enough on their hands than editing this stuff.
Yeah, DG, you actually sounded very professional in your post...before this part right here anyways. ^^;
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Quote:
All these are excellent points.

Alright, I agree with you guys. The rule is there for a reason and it should be respected by others. What to do about those who don't follow it?...umm...nothing I guess, but, still. = )

Yeah, DG, you actually sounded very professional in your post...before this part right here anyways. ^^;
yes, i'm my worst enemy, I know it. I'll usually say something silly, almost a joke, but I'm not sure why.

Besides, it was a legitimate answer. You said that "there weren't negative consequences for people putting the sign in the title", and thus I made an example of a way for this problem to be taken care of. Granted, a little extreme, but examples are meant to be like that.

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

hmm...If the rule would be like, Graders WILL NOT grade stories with that on their title...hmm...

Well, on one hand, Graders wouldn't grade as much so they get paid less, but writers would want their stories graded so they would remove it.

I bet the writers would edit their titles long before the Graders complain about not having a job.

Just tossing in ideas.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Pokémon Partner Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Pokémon Partner

After reading the current dicussion in here, I've decided to take down my <Awaiting Score> tag from my story's title.

Thank you, Shy, for the avatar and banner.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:37 AM
GallantlyGlaceon Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to GallantlyGlaceon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Partner View Post
After reading the current dicussion in here, I've decided to take down my <Awaiting Score> tag from my story's title.
Same for me, except with [not ready for grading yet] lol.
-Valiant
[12:38:20 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH" <---- Yup.
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 12-14-2009, 06:16 AM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Quote:

hmm...If the rule would be like, Graders WILL NOT grade stories with that on their title...hmm...

Well, on one hand, Graders wouldn't grade as much so they get paid less, but writers would want their stories graded so they would remove it.

I bet the writers would edit their titles long before the Graders complain about not having a job.

Just tossing in ideas.
Given that if you don't tell them not to put the sign in their title, they likely won't notice, and chances are they'll do it again because they don't read the rules. Giving a punishment just for this seems too harsh. A warning should do fine, if only the grades remembered to put it in their grades.

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
Old 12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Lunar Wing Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Wing

I have a small grammer question (I'm sooo bad at grammer )

Which of the following sentences is right if you look to the word Mister:

- I didn’t really needed help but mister Reylord says I have to ...

- I didn’t really needed help but Mister Reylord says I have to ...

In other words: do I need to type it with a capital or not?
IN Dutch you have to but I wasn't sure about English...

Thanx~