Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Legendary Pokémon: Your Thoughts?

I love to browse the fanfic board, and I’ve noticed that a lot of the fanfics nowadays have Legendaries. Whether be it for comic relief (“Team Pwnsome 2“), as main villains (“PMD: Team Stormriders“), beings who guard or posses something that the main character needs (“Chronicles of the Shards” and “Eternity of Time”), or simply as deities that other Pokemon seek help from (“Path to Destiny”), Legendaries pop up. Not that this is a bad thing, seeing as how the fic I’m planning is largely Legendary-based, but I found it cool that many authors, though their writing styles and genres are different, all have something similar in their stories.

So why do you write about Legendary Pokemon? Why to they appeal to you, and how do you think they fit in the Pokemon World? Or if you’re totally against using Legendary Pokemon in stories, why do you feel that way? Why do you think using Legendary Pokemon is a taboo that will automatically make any fanfic n00bish and unprofessional? What would you consider to be the dos and don’ts of using these really powerful beings in a story?

For me, I love using Legendary Pokemon in stories because they remind me so much of Greek gods and goddesses. Greek gods have their own history, their own quarrels, and their own quirks. They don’t all get along, and not all of them have the same roles. I just love writing how all of these really powerful Pokemon interact with one another and the world around them. ^^ *will add more when I think of more to say*

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009
Default Re: Legendary Pokémon: Your Thoughts?

LOL, why do we write about them? My story largely concerns them as well. In fact, I've been thinking about renaming it Lunar Legends.

I think that I like to write about Legendaries because I find them so facinating. They are important figures in the Pokemon World because of the way they balance elements or control physics. They're like the grand guardians, or fearsome foes. Without them, the Pokemon world would be in utter chaos. And, unlike other species, there is one and only one of each. That rare-ness makes them invaluable.

I hope its not too cliche to write about them, but I really do enjoy writing about them.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Geeky Alakazam Offline

I'm planning on writing an apocalyptic pokemon fanfiction soon, and legendary pokemon will play quite a large part in it, so this is naturally quite interesting to me... I find legendaries fascinating for much the same reason as you - I've always been interested in mythology, and the concept of divinities living on and influencing the world directly, of having complex affairs and wars, fascinates me.

With how legendary pokemon work, my ideas are very similar to those of deities from Dungeons & Dragons. I classify them by the D&D ranking (Lesser Deity - Intermediate Deity - Greater Deity - Overdeity), consider them to rule over their own planes as well as influence ours, have godlike abilities with the areas they rule, work to maintain and spread the things they represent, and in general act like the gods from Greek Mythology. I see them as being neigh impossible to kill, as I see them as formless entities that live on their own worlds, who project tiny portions of themselves into many different places, and that even if they "die" here, it is only a scratch for the legendary overall. If one legend kills another, they absorb their powers, domains, and their duties.

The only real differences are that they do not require prayer to survive, instead being compelled to perform their duties on threat of absolute death, and that the legendaries that survive deal solely with impersonal, universal forces and now take a much smaller part in human affairs. Some people worship them, but temples to them are few and far between, being replaced by logic, science, and technology.

A major concept driving the story I have in mind is that there were once thousands of legendaries, representing everything imaginable, but that they were ground down to the current population by a series of cosmic-scale wars that destroyed countless galaxies and billions of pokemon inhabited worlds and alien civilizations. And now they have gone to war one more time... (look at all the events in the anime) and our world is caught in the crossfire.

Overall, I'm fascinated by legendary pokemon because I wonder what our world would be like, for better or worse, if it was really ruled over and/or influenced by, say, the Greek or Norse gods.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I add them in my stories partially because I'm not the best writer in the world, and sometimes I need a deus ex machina element to the story's end. I've used it in Fyre Spin, because the King of the Sea, Kyogre, and the Prince, Manaphy, were aligned with the Middle Aura, Syol. I used it in the first writing of Hearthome High, because I needed Arceus to kill off the PLA, because I was a horrible writer at the time.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Well, I'm featuring Legendaries in my upcoming fic, but they're more as simply extremely powerful Pokemon rather than gods or goddesses (with exceptions). I think the main reason why so many people write about them is because they're such a huge part of Pokemon. I mean, nearly every Legendary has a movie that features them in one way or another, some have anime episodes as well, nearly all of them are exceptionally powerful in the game, others have special properties that make them be worshiped or that make them desirable prizes (such as Jirachi or Celebi), and generally make them important plot points. Basically, people write about them because they're too awesome not to write about. It'd be like trying to write a Star Wars fanfic without including Jedi. You can do it, it's just not the same.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

They work if they're in the right place at the right time. You could have a story that would work perfectly well without them, but very often, as you can see with the movies, their presence can dash in an extra bit of spice, as long as its used right. If you think of writing a story as cooking, they're exactly that. Using a little bit could add in great flavor. Too much and you've ruined the entire thing.

I like it better when the legendaries are there, but they're a bit more humble, willing to associate with the "lesser Pokemon," especially if there's something they need to accomplish together. The ideal situation is to introduce each one slowly into the story, and give them a real role and purpose. For example, don't say Mew comes every now and then to help the protagonist "just because" or add some minor filler reason. If Mew's there, there should be a reason for it, as well as a reason for Mew to be involved, and a reason to be assisting the protagonist and no one else. You don't want people speculating why you're introducing a legend into the story. You need them to see why they're there, and why that legend can fulfill a role that another non-lengendary Pokemon just can't do.

When legends help the protagonsts, it helps to humble them a bit, and make the challenge they're facing something that even the legendary can't do alone. However, when the good guys need to face legends as adversaries, make them... a tid bit more powerful than they usually are. Let them use every available resource of their power to put the maximum challenge on the protagonsts, because otherwise, it looks too easy for the good guys, and you don't want that.

But yeah, I agree, Pokemon legendaries are some of the most interesting Pokemon and could be the source of great plotline fodder if you pick the right ones and give them the most interesting roles that fit their abilities and persona. Just make sure you know what you're doing, because its very difficult to get rid of them once you've added them to your story...

Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I'd also like to add, don't be afraid to kill Legendaries either. If your story is about some insidious enemy, probably one of the best ways to establish them as a grave threat is to have them kill a legendary. :O

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 09-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

Personally, I hate writing Legendary Pokemon in my stories, and consequently haven't done so in any so far. I think that lies mostly in my preference in writing the Pokemon world in as realistic a way as possible, thus focusing primarily on everyday situations, how they are warped in the Pokemon world, and what can go wrong with them.

I find that interaction with Legendaries makes the story surreal and a bit cliche. I don't want to write about some special trainer that discovers they have some connection with a certain Legendary or gain aid from one at some point in the story. I like for the character to rely on his own wit and skill to get out of a sticky situation, much like in the real world, where you aren't going to directly get help from any god, but have to do it yourself.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird. :]

BRYCExKAT
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Giratina Offline

I don't see a problem with Legendaries. As long as they're not floating down to help or blessing the heroes in every possible situation (which Arceus would not allow) - or worse, are actually CAUGHT by the heroes (which Arceus would DEFINITELY not allow) - there's nothing wrong in my opinion with adding a little otherwordly deities to your work. And NOT PORTRAY THEM AS MEWING VILLAINS ALL THE TIME COUGHCOUGHGIRATINACOUGH I know some people may be against them because (Archives forbid) they interact with the characters in a way that would be something more than "Fool, I am your GOD!", but as long as you give them actual personalities and good things to say, it's not much worse than having a wild Tyranitar atop Mount Silver. I think my take on Legendaries, other than that, is the same as Kat's - they all have their own distinct (I hope) little character traits that sometimes don't fly with each other in hte best possible way, but it's still interesting (I think) to see how we they live up above the sky.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 09-30-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Pokol DaErran Offline

I mostly use Legendaries in my stories for three reasons;

1. Legendaries have always seemed to take the role of a sort of "ultimate challenge" in the Pokemon games, and due in a large part to the structure of the Pokemon games, in which some Pokemon can start out as naturally possessing more power than others, Legendaries are basically the only Pokemon tough enough to do battle against most main characters without having a huge bucketload of extra power pasted on.

2. My story's plot is mostly about an average kid who discovers he has incredible, god-like power and ends up falling into corruption as a result of his abuse of said power; as such, a Legendary (in this case, Mew, who's always been a major player in the Pokemon fan world) was a good candidate for this role.

3. To parody the American government.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 AM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

Depending on the story, I either do or don't include legendaries in my fics. My first (albeit not descriptive in the least) short story had Darkrai and Arceus in it, and it was my first piece of fan work and I thought that kind of thing would be easier to do then my first FAILURE that happened to not use legendaries. Currently I work without legendaries since the Pink Army (yeah, I haven't added to that recently, have I?) doesn't require them until MAYBE the very, very end. The end's still to be decided, though...

Like Neo Pikachu said. It depends on the story. It's almost like using religion in standard fiction, or, more similarly, Greek gods and mythology.
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.