Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Lightbulb Expansion: Stories

Since George is a very relaxed fellow, I'm going to go ahead and create this thread for him and all of our story folk (including me, I like stories).

And of course, this thread is under the jurisdiction of the Stories Committee.

The biggest challenge you story members will be facing is the fact that BMG does not have an extremely strong Story Section. I'm not entirely sure, but from what Phoenix said, the story section never regained the activity it used to have, possibly still feeling the effects of the forum closure in 2001.

In an ironic twist, BMG has a stronger roleplaying section, so the Park might be the bigger of the two sections in the URPG over there, at least at first.

So I suppose your job is to figure out how to tackle that issue and ensure success on BMG. Perhaps it's just a matter of members not having a strong team of writers like we do here. Whatever the case, I'm sure that we can come up with a plan to drive forward URPG Story success.
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Galleon's Avatar
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shenanigansville
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Well, at the moment, I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to first contribute some of our own stories to BG's fanfic section, much like Kat has already done. Or, just commenting in someone else's fic would be helpful, too. Really, just add some interest and activity to the community that's already there, and maybe when the URPG opens, the Stories section will be better received.

One idea, anyway.
__________________
MEH.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2010, 04:45 AM
Phantom Kat's Avatar
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my strretchy pants
Posts: 5,018
Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post
Well, at the moment, I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to first contribute some of our own stories to BG's fanfic section, much like Kat has already done. Or, just commenting in someone else's fic would be helpful, too. Really, just add some interest and activity to the community that's already there, and maybe when the URPG opens, the Stories section will be better received.

One idea, anyway.
Stalker. :>

But that sounds good. Maybe we can post some of our URPG stories there, which will add some activity to the fan fic section and also show a little "preview" about what URPG stories are about. Dunno, just an idea.

Also, when the URPG is up and running, maybe someone can host a Newbie Contest for the 'Garden URPGers. That way, they'll get a hang of how to write an effective URPG and possibly write and/or win some good Pokemon. I know taking part in the one Carly hosted helped me know how writing these things work.

- Kat
__________________

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Galleon's Avatar
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shenanigansville
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Stalker. :>
WAHAHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
But that sounds good. Maybe we can post some of our URPG stories there, which will add some activity to the fan fic section and also show a little "preview" about what URPG stories are about. Dunno, just an idea.

Also, when the URPG is up and running, maybe someone can host a Newbie Contest for the 'Garden URPGers. That way, they'll get a hang of how to write an effective URPG and possibly write and/or win some good Pokemon. I know taking part in the one Carly hosted helped me know how writing these things work.

- Kat
Yeah, that's a good idea. In fact, if you want, why don't you go ahead and host it yourself? I totally stole the last one from you, didn't I?
__________________
MEH.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Phantom Kat's Avatar
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my strretchy pants
Posts: 5,018
Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

WAHAHA.


Yeah, that's a good idea. In fact, if you want, why don't you go ahead and host it yourself? I totally stole the last one from you, didn't I?
Sweet. I'll go ahead and start planning. 8) And yeah, evil George was evil to me and Jackson.

- Kat
__________________

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Dog of Hellsing's Avatar
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: *Smacks with Zanpakuto* STALKER!
Posts: 8,768
Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

If we're going to take some of our stories to 'Garden's fanfic section to give them a chance to see how writing to catch Mon works, I'd be more than happy to post some of my stuff over there. I can take MotM and then something shorter, maybe Mother or something, and then something like NecroFear. I have a big list of stories to choose from, though I'd prefer to stick to using ones I've already finished compared to those I've left hanging ^^'.
__________________
Paired with Shen, the most epic Bleach fan around :3
URPG Stats/National Park Info/Coordinator Stats

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

I'll swing over some of my one-offs. Not the continuing stories that I never actually continued though.

SUGGESTION: Mark the titles of stories we're importing with "URPG Story: *insert title here*" or the like.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Dog of Hellsing's Avatar
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: *Smacks with Zanpakuto* STALKER!
Posts: 8,768
Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Would it be possible to provide links to these stories once the Stories section gets its own intro thread, or to link them in the first post of the announcement on 'Garden? That way 'Garden people will have a better chance of seeing them, since there's not much activity there in the first place.
__________________
Paired with Shen, the most epic Bleach fan around :3
URPG Stats/National Park Info/Coordinator Stats

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Galleon's Avatar
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shenanigansville
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
If we're going to take some of our stories to 'Garden's fanfic section to give them a chance to see how writing to catch Mon works, I'd be more than happy to post some of my stuff over there. I can take MotM and then something shorter, maybe Mother or something, and then something like NecroFear. I have a big list of stories to choose from, though I'd prefer to stick to using ones I've already finished compared to those I've left hanging ^^'.
Then again, if you post something there that you haven't finished, it might somehow-but-probably-not motivate you to do so, right? 's the way it is for me, I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
I'll swing over some of my one-offs. Not the continuing stories that I never actually continued though.

SUGGESTION: Mark the titles of stories we're importing with "URPG Story: *insert title here*" or the like.
Well, they don't necessarily have to be URPG stories, y'know. They could just be regular fanfics, if you want. The idea is to simply help the activity of the writing forums, so there's no need to limit things like that.

But heck, go ahead and add all the title marks you want. It'll probably just confuse people, but maybe that confusion will make some folks curious. Brains are funny like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
Would it be possible to provide links to these stories once the Stories section gets its own intro thread, or to link them in the first post of the announcement on 'Garden? That way 'Garden people will have a better chance of seeing them, since there's not much activity there in the first place.
NO, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. GAH.

Yeah, probably.

DIGRESSION: And in other, totally unrelated news, the thread for the new writing competition will be up later today. Not entirely sure what to call the dang thing. I might just go with something awesomely stupid.
__________________
MEH.

Last edited by Galleon; 03-14-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: *scary growl*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post
DIGRESSION: And in other, totally unrelated news, the thread for the new writing competition will be up later today. Not entirely sure what to call the dang thing. I might just go with something awesomely stupid.
Howsabout The Awesomely Stupid Writing Competition? :3

On topic - From what I've seen on BMG, I agree that the fanfic forum needs activity. I might go and comment on people's fics, maybe post a few stories of my own, like what most people are doing.

(Or maybe I'll go all out Grader on them and scare them away! *shot*)
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Scourge of Amaranth's Avatar
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I swear I'm not
Posts: 1,627
Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Howsabout The Awesomely Stupid Writing Competition? :3

On topic - From what I've seen on BMG, I agree that the fanfic forum needs activity. I might go and comment on people's fics, maybe post a few stories of my own, like what most people are doing.

(Or maybe I'll go all out Grader on them and scare them away! *shot*)
I already considered the last sentence, and decided I might get stepped on. Although... you're on Training Committee, so IT COULD BE BENEFICIAL. Then again, so am I. ._.

At any rate, commenting a bit on stories is probably going to be the overall most useful/rev-up-ingnissh thing to do, as promises of commentary on how awesome they are (or could be if they tried out *blank*) is something that gets a lot of newbie writers experimenting.
__________________

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 AM
ragnarok0422's Avatar
ragnarok0422 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Why should YOU care? =/
Posts: 2,595
Send a message via AIM to ragnarok0422 Send a message via Yahoo to ragnarok0422
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

I have a suggestion. Expert writers could actually make up a Master/Apprentice program of their own, to help those who actually want to become better writers. Because who knows, maybe there are more inexperienced writers who actually have some nice plots and whatnot lying around, but they need practice in writing. I dunno, it's just a suggestion. :6

Or you could set up a... I dunno, tutoring thread?

It could happen like in every post there are tips on how you can write better stories more efficiently. It's like one those threads where it teaches forum members a new language, only in this case, you're teaching proper grammars.

It's just a suggestion, though. XP
__________________

|| VPP Stats || URPG Stats || ASB Stats || Pokedex Project Stats || URPG Ranger Log ||
~ Credit to myself for making the Finnel avvie & banner! ~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Galleon's Avatar
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shenanigansville
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok0422 View Post
I have a suggestion. Expert writers could actually make up a Master/Apprentice program of their own, to help those who actually want to become better writers. Because who knows, maybe there are more inexperienced writers who actually have some nice plots and whatnot lying around, but they need practice in writing. I dunno, it's just a suggestion. :6

Or you could set up a... I dunno, tutoring thread?

It could happen like in every post there are tips on how you can write better stories more efficiently. It's like one those threads where it teaches forum members a new language, only in this case, you're teaching proper grammars.

It's just a suggestion, though. XP
That's not a bad idea, honestly, but I just know that, personally, I wouldn't want to do it. I'm just not all that keen on Master/Apprentice stuff. And with that in mind, I wouldn't feel right if I opened up such a program, only to lump the work onto other folks' shoulders.

But, if one of you Councilor graders out there wants to host a program like this, then I certainly won't stop you. Heck, I'll even help out a little, if you want me to. Just don't expect to actually join in on all your shenanigans.
__________________
MEH.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 AM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

I would recommend that some of our experienced writers, if they be so inclined, when they post new stories, they post them on Bulbagarden when we expand in order to encourage activity in the URPG: Story board there as well as provide multiple examples of what a story usually entails.
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com