Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Lightbulb Expansion: Stories

Since George is a very relaxed fellow, I'm going to go ahead and create this thread for him and all of our story folk (including me, I like stories).

And of course, this thread is under the jurisdiction of the Stories Committee.

The biggest challenge you story members will be facing is the fact that BMG does not have an extremely strong Story Section. I'm not entirely sure, but from what Phoenix said, the story section never regained the activity it used to have, possibly still feeling the effects of the forum closure in 2001.

In an ironic twist, BMG has a stronger roleplaying section, so the Park might be the bigger of the two sections in the URPG over there, at least at first.

So I suppose your job is to figure out how to tackle that issue and ensure success on BMG. Perhaps it's just a matter of members not having a strong team of writers like we do here. Whatever the case, I'm sure that we can come up with a plan to drive forward URPG Story success.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: Expansion: Stories

Well, at the moment, I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to first contribute some of our own stories to BG's fanfic section, much like Kat has already done. Or, just commenting in someone else's fic would be helpful, too. Really, just add some interest and activity to the community that's already there, and maybe when the URPG opens, the Stories section will be better received.

One idea, anyway.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:45 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post
Well, at the moment, I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to first contribute some of our own stories to BG's fanfic section, much like Kat has already done. Or, just commenting in someone else's fic would be helpful, too. Really, just add some interest and activity to the community that's already there, and maybe when the URPG opens, the Stories section will be better received.

One idea, anyway.
Stalker. :>

But that sounds good. Maybe we can post some of our URPG stories there, which will add some activity to the fan fic section and also show a little "preview" about what URPG stories are about. Dunno, just an idea.

Also, when the URPG is up and running, maybe someone can host a Newbie Contest for the 'Garden URPGers. That way, they'll get a hang of how to write an effective URPG and possibly write and/or win some good Pokemon. I know taking part in the one Carly hosted helped me know how writing these things work.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Stalker. :>
WAHAHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
But that sounds good. Maybe we can post some of our URPG stories there, which will add some activity to the fan fic section and also show a little "preview" about what URPG stories are about. Dunno, just an idea.

Also, when the URPG is up and running, maybe someone can host a Newbie Contest for the 'Garden URPGers. That way, they'll get a hang of how to write an effective URPG and possibly write and/or win some good Pokemon. I know taking part in the one Carly hosted helped me know how writing these things work.

- Kat
Yeah, that's a good idea. In fact, if you want, why don't you go ahead and host it yourself? I totally stole the last one from you, didn't I?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:

WAHAHA.

Yeah, that's a good idea. In fact, if you want, why don't you go ahead and host it yourself? I totally stole the last one from you, didn't I?
Sweet. I'll go ahead and start planning. 8) And yeah, evil George was evil to me and Jackson.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

If we're going to take some of our stories to 'Garden's fanfic section to give them a chance to see how writing to catch Mon works, I'd be more than happy to post some of my stuff over there. I can take MotM and then something shorter, maybe Mother or something, and then something like NecroFear. I have a big list of stories to choose from, though I'd prefer to stick to using ones I've already finished compared to those I've left hanging ^^'.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I'll swing over some of my one-offs. Not the continuing stories that I never actually continued though.

SUGGESTION: Mark the titles of stories we're importing with "URPG Story: *insert title here*" or the like.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Would it be possible to provide links to these stories once the Stories section gets its own intro thread, or to link them in the first post of the announcement on 'Garden? That way 'Garden people will have a better chance of seeing them, since there's not much activity there in the first place.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
If we're going to take some of our stories to 'Garden's fanfic section to give them a chance to see how writing to catch Mon works, I'd be more than happy to post some of my stuff over there. I can take MotM and then something shorter, maybe Mother or something, and then something like NecroFear. I have a big list of stories to choose from, though I'd prefer to stick to using ones I've already finished compared to those I've left hanging ^^'.
Then again, if you post something there that you haven't finished, it might somehow-but-probably-not motivate you to do so, right? 's the way it is for me, I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
I'll swing over some of my one-offs. Not the continuing stories that I never actually continued though.

SUGGESTION: Mark the titles of stories we're importing with "URPG Story: *insert title here*" or the like.
Well, they don't necessarily have to be URPG stories, y'know. They could just be regular fanfics, if you want. The idea is to simply help the activity of the writing forums, so there's no need to limit things like that.

But heck, go ahead and add all the title marks you want. It'll probably just confuse people, but maybe that confusion will make some folks curious. Brains are funny like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
Would it be possible to provide links to these stories once the Stories section gets its own intro thread, or to link them in the first post of the announcement on 'Garden? That way 'Garden people will have a better chance of seeing them, since there's not much activity there in the first place.
NO, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. GAH.

Yeah, probably.

DIGRESSION: And in other, totally unrelated news, the thread for the new writing competition will be up later today. Not entirely sure what to call the dang thing. I might just go with something awesomely stupid.

Last edited by Galleon; 03-14-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: *scary growl*
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:
DIGRESSION: And in other, totally unrelated news, the thread for the new writing competition will be up later today. Not entirely sure what to call the dang thing. I might just go with something awesomely stupid.
Howsabout The Awesomely Stupid Writing Competition? :3

On topic - From what I've seen on BMG, I agree that the fanfic forum needs activity. I might go and comment on people's fics, maybe post a few stories of my own, like what most people are doing.

(Or maybe I'll go all out Grader on them and scare them away! *shot*)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Howsabout The Awesomely Stupid Writing Competition? :3

On topic - From what I've seen on BMG, I agree that the fanfic forum needs activity. I might go and comment on people's fics, maybe post a few stories of my own, like what most people are doing.

(Or maybe I'll go all out Grader on them and scare them away! *shot*)
I already considered the last sentence, and decided I might get stepped on. Although... you're on Training Committee, so IT COULD BE BENEFICIAL. Then again, so am I. ._.

At any rate, commenting a bit on stories is probably going to be the overall most useful/rev-up-ingnissh thing to do, as promises of commentary on how awesome they are (or could be if they tried out *blank*) is something that gets a lot of newbie writers experimenting.

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 AM
ragnarok0422 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to ragnarok0422 Send a message via Yahoo to ragnarok0422

I have a suggestion. Expert writers could actually make up a Master/Apprentice program of their own, to help those who actually want to become better writers. Because who knows, maybe there are more inexperienced writers who actually have some nice plots and whatnot lying around, but they need practice in writing. I dunno, it's just a suggestion. :6

Or you could set up a... I dunno, tutoring thread?

It could happen like in every post there are tips on how you can write better stories more efficiently. It's like one those threads where it teaches forum members a new language, only in this case, you're teaching proper grammars.

It's just a suggestion, though. XP

|| VPP Stats || URPG Stats || ASB Stats || Pokedex Project Stats || URPG Ranger Log ||
~ Credit to myself for making the Finnel avvie & banner! ~
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok0422 View Post
I have a suggestion. Expert writers could actually make up a Master/Apprentice program of their own, to help those who actually want to become better writers. Because who knows, maybe there are more inexperienced writers who actually have some nice plots and whatnot lying around, but they need practice in writing. I dunno, it's just a suggestion. :6

Or you could set up a... I dunno, tutoring thread?

It could happen like in every post there are tips on how you can write better stories more efficiently. It's like one those threads where it teaches forum members a new language, only in this case, you're teaching proper grammars.

It's just a suggestion, though. XP
That's not a bad idea, honestly, but I just know that, personally, I wouldn't want to do it. I'm just not all that keen on Master/Apprentice stuff. And with that in mind, I wouldn't feel right if I opened up such a program, only to lump the work onto other folks' shoulders.

But, if one of you Councilor graders out there wants to host a program like this, then I certainly won't stop you. Heck, I'll even help out a little, if you want me to. Just don't expect to actually join in on all your shenanigans.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

I would recommend that some of our experienced writers, if they be so inclined, when they post new stories, they post them on Bulbagarden when we expand in order to encourage activity in the URPG: Story board there as well as provide multiple examples of what a story usually entails.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.