Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
But Rangers don't even post their rolls. I know quite a few forum refs do and I did.
No, but it is required that they're witnessed and the person who witnesses has to post confirmation, plus we're not even required to post rolls in forum battles, hence the potential for cheating remains.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
  #17  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Near's Avatar
Near Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brawl, FC: 2492-4014-3553
Posts: 1,366
Send a message via AIM to Near Send a message via MSN to Near
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
No, but it is required that they're witnessed and the person who witnesses has to post confirmation, plus we're not even required to post rolls in forum battles, hence the potential for cheating remains.
Rarely any important battles happen on the forums, other then the rare one or two, and noones going to cheat to get their friend $500 honestly.
__________________
Blue X Near



Click "Near" for my Stats, and "Blue" for BJ's Stats.

I WILL NOT BE ACTIVE FROM JUNE 24TH TILL JULY 2ND.
  #18  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Zombie Muse's Avatar
Zombie Muse Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: braaaaiiinnns....
Posts: 1,343
Send a message via AIM to Zombie Muse
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
Marth does alot of things for his own gain, but that's unimportant. His official/elite status shouldn't really come into general things, he, in all fairness, is just a normal person.
You're right, he is just a normal person... but with a higher responsibility and is an icon for which other people, especially new comers, look up to.


I do believe the park is 'broken'. I couldn't believe the fact that as one person and another person started around the same time, one person's posts were not amazing, but had some quality (grammar wasn't an issue, nor was spelling, and descriptions were pretty good) while the others was... shall we say, crappy; grammar problems were everywhere, spelling/type-o's were evadable, and there was barley any description and was had to be told to use more description multiple times, yet they've already left with very rare Pokémon, while the other person (with good posts) is still on their first or second encounter with a not so rare Pokémon.

Yea, maybe the level of activity of the refs play a part in how fast they get done, but still; one person works hard, gets off alright, another person does ****, walks away with splendor. I agree with the minimum character requirement, and the rolls being based of quality, that'll make it so just throwing in 3.5k and posting for a month or less won't get you a Snorlax, an Absol, and a Porygon-Z.
__________________

Last edited by Zombie Muse; 05-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
  #19  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Eraizaa-kun's Avatar
Eraizaa-kun Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere where there's cake...
Posts: 2,532
Send a message via AIM to Eraizaa-kun
Default Re: The National Park


If you guys actually read the rules, you'll notice that the Park Posts' quality never mentions grammar or length. This is why a huge post that was written so perfectly that it could be printed and published can actually have better, equal, or even worse results than a post filled with grammar errors and few words.

Those things are important in the Stories forum, but not in the Park. In the park, if you check the rules, we look for Creativity (what new ideas can the trainer put into the battle), Practicality (how effective would this idea be), and Realism (in the anime, could that actually happen?). In fact, if the Ranger feels that you are adding too many things to your post that aren't needed just to make it look impressive, that could actually lower the park quality of your post.

We wanted the rules of the park to be different than the stories forum, not easier. However, without all of these rules from the stories forum restricting people's ideas, I guess people with ideas will obviously find the park to be too easy.

I hope that the posts in this thread will be full of suggestions on how to improve/fix the park, but PLEASE, don't ask for the park to become more like the stories forum.

Last edited by Eraizaa-kun; 05-14-2010 at 01:15 AM.
  #20  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Zombie Muse's Avatar
Zombie Muse Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: braaaaiiinnns....
Posts: 1,343
Send a message via AIM to Zombie Muse
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

If you guys actually read the rules, you'll notice that the Park Posts' quality never mentions grammar or length. This is why a huge post that was written so perfectly that it could be printed and published can actually have better, equal, or even worse results than a post filled with grammar errors and few words.

Those things are important in the Stories forum, but not in the Park. In the park, if you check the rules, we look for Creativity (what new ideas can the trainer put into the battle), Practicality (how effective would this idea be), and Realism (in the anime, could that actually happen?). In fact, if the Ranger feels that you are adding too many things to your post that aren't needed just to make it look impressive, that could actually lower the park quality of your post.

We wanted the rules of the park to be different than the stories forum, not easier. However, without all of these rules from the stories forum restricting people's ideas, I guess people with ideas will obviously find the park to be too easy.

I hope that the posts in this thread will be full of suggestions on how to improve/fix the park, but PLEASE, don't ask for the park to become more like the stories forum.

You're right, but at the same time, I think some of them have fallen from the quality idea. Creating a character requirment would make the Rpers to come up with different and creative ways to fill up the character amount, (like if the required amount was alwasy .5k - 1k) then the quality and creativness will both be there and poeple wouldn't have any issues. And to be honest the Park is a lot easier the way it is now than the story forum.
__________________
  #21  
Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 AM
GreenRampage's Avatar
GreenRampage Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Not a fun place
Posts: 2,152
Send a message via AIM to GreenRampage
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post


Those things are important in the Stories forum, but not in the Park. In the park, if you check the rules, we look for Creativity (what new ideas can the trainer put into the battle), Practicality (how effective would this idea be), and Realism (in the anime, could that actually happen?). In fact, if the Ranger feels that you are adding too many things to your post that aren't needed just to make it look impressive, that could actually lower the park quality of your post.
Okay well I think Practicality and Realism are kind of useless things to base a post off of, because "Scyther use Wing Attack" is both what would happen (realistic) and practical when used against a burmy. So that person already has a 66% with something written in like a second

Creativity is also a very ambiguous thing to grade someone on. If a member is RPing a shy, passive character they would'nt have their Pokemon running around jumping off trees. They'd probably more inclined to describe the character's inner thoughts instead. And so describing the character's emotions in a thought out paragraph (effectively acting as though they are in the character's shoes/ Role Playing) would be less "creative" than someone who sent a sentence of, "Jump off the tree and then jump off the other tree and then send a flying kick at him and then use a Fire Punch and then Kick him in the air and then kill him."

While I understand the Park people want to be different than the story people I think those are weak grounds to be handing out high level Pokemon
__________________

Last edited by GreenRampage; 05-14-2010 at 04:32 PM.
  #22  
Old 05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
EmBreon's Avatar
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: <insert funny>
Posts: 4,492
Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

If you guys actually read the rules, you'll notice that the Park Posts' quality never mentions grammar or length. This is why a huge post that was written so perfectly that it could be printed and published can actually have better, equal, or even worse results than a post filled with grammar errors and few words.

Those things are important in the Stories forum, but not in the Park. In the park, if you check the rules, we look for Creativity (what new ideas can the trainer put into the battle), Practicality (how effective would this idea be), and Realism (in the anime, could that actually happen?). In fact, if the Ranger feels that you are adding too many things to your post that aren't needed just to make it look impressive, that could actually lower the park quality of your post.


The fact that this is actually being said as if it's a perfectly acceptable thing is really irritating.

I mean, really? A person is seriously practically penalized for making a good quality post instead of a "creative" one?

Capture methods in general should be based off of effort. That's what keeps the system balanced and running smoothly. That's what keeps the game fair. You put in effort, you get better Pokemon, or you make more money. A premise that spewing a "creative" idea in a few thousand characters gets more reward than hours and hours of effort is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
We wanted the rules of the park to be different than the stories forum, not easier. However, without all of these rules from the stories forum restricting people's ideas, I guess people with ideas will obviously find the park to be too easy.

I hope that the posts in this thread will be full of suggestions on how to improve/fix the park, but PLEASE, don't ask for the park to become more like the stories forum.
I don't even know what you're talking about here, because stories have no restrictions, besides the obvious 'must be relevant to Pokemon' or 'must be a certain length' depending on the Pokemon. That's common sense. Otherwise you have people walking off with three PZ's in a single trip. You guys need to stop trying so hard to be "different" and start being fair. This is the kind of crap that ruins the game for everyone.

At the moment, my only suggestion is to consider closing the Park down for a few days and rework your system, because the place sounds like a disaster right now and I wish I had paid more attention to it when it opened. Throw in more dice-rolls to lower the odds of finding such rare mons if you plan on continuing the "creative"-based system, or at least start taking into account the amount of effort people put in.
__________________
  #23  
Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

If you guys actually read the rules, you'll notice that the Park Posts' quality never mentions grammar or length. This is why a huge post that was written so perfectly that it could be printed and published can actually have better, equal, or even worse results than a post filled with grammar errors and few words.

Those things are important in the Stories forum, but not in the Park. In the park, if you check the rules, we look for Creativity (what new ideas can the trainer put into the battle), Practicality (how effective would this idea be), and Realism (in the anime, could that actually happen?). In fact, if the Ranger feels that you are adding too many things to your post that aren't needed just to make it look impressive, that could actually lower the park quality of your post.

We wanted the rules of the park to be different than the stories forum, not easier. However, without all of these rules from the stories forum restricting people's ideas, I guess people with ideas will obviously find the park to be too easy.

I hope that the posts in this thread will be full of suggestions on how to improve/fix the park, but PLEASE, don't ask for the park to become more like the stories forum.
Some quality control is still needed, seriously. You can't just say "Oh, we disregard quality and length" and just call it a day. Creativity is also tied in to quality.

Quote:
"pikachu, dodge them all use thundrbolt!" i ordered and pikachu obeyed my comands, dodging all the mud nidoran thew up and using thunderbot
Quote:
The Nidoran threw up mud at my Pikachu.

"Okay, Pikachu, get in there, dodge everything and use Fake Tears then Thunderbolt, and finish off with Volt Tackle!" I ordered.

Pikachu twisted and turned, but a ball of mud hit it anyway. It used Fake Tears and Thunderbolt in quick succession, running in to hit the Nidoran with Volt Tackle.
Quote:
The Nidoran turned around, and wiggling its impudent backside, it raked up a ball of mud in one foot and fired it at Pikachu, and continued with another foot, and another, and another, and another, repeatedly, with no regard as to where it was flinging mud.

I considered for a moment. Mud-Slap was not a powerful move, but the accuracy-lowering effect could prove troublesome in our counterattack and extend what should be a short battle. I made my decision and gave orders.

"Pikachu, use Light Screen, and cover your eyes!"

Pikachu threw out its hand and a multi-coloured field appeared in front of it. Most of the mud bounced uselessly off it, but a few made it through the screen, and even fewer of it made it to Pikachu, who shrugged off the attack while holding its other arm over its eyes to protect them.

The Nidoran, unaware of this, continued to fling mud at Pikachu.

"Alright Pikachu," I began dramatically. "It's a bit difficult to attack from behind the screen and you can't do without it, so let's strike from above. Call the clouds! Use Thunder attack! 1 'o clock, distance 500!"
If you claim all three posts yield equal results in the Park System, something is seriously, seriously wrong with the system then.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader

Last edited by Starkipraggy; 05-14-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Making my example more valid :o
  #24  
Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: The National Park

Starki, why'd you do Phanpy for the last one? It renders your whole argument useless since they can easily say 'No, we'd award the last one more points because it has more strategy behind the moves'. If you're going to use that as an example, then the moves and mons should be the same for each example.

However, the question does still stand - is quality judged at all?
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
  #25  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Starki, why'd you do Phanpy for the last one? It renders your whole argument useless since they can easily say 'No, we'd award the last one more points because it has more strategy behind the moves'. If you're going to use that as an example, then the moves and mons should be the same for each example.

However, the question does still stand - is quality judged at all?
I had writer's block a moment ago on how to spice it up (without using #$%&* Double Team), but now I thought of something so I changed it. :D
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
  #26  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I had writer's block a moment ago on how to spice it up (without using #$%&* Double Team), but now I thought of something so I changed it. :D
Even so, the moves still need to be the same, because otherwise you're putting more creativity into the last two, and thus making it marked better by their standards :x The moves should be exactly the same for all of them.
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
  #27  
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: The National Park

When I submitted my application, I was hoping to find one Porygon-Z, not three. I could not have possibly known I was getting three in that moment. Of course I used the repellant for getting a Porygon-Z - some settings allow a 50% chance you'll encounter the special Pokémon you want if you do the right investment. It was after I got the three of 'em that everyone made a big fuss about it. It was a struck of luck and nothing else, just as how Bumblebee went into the park once and had to pass through 15 pokémon to fail in encountering a Rotom - the Pokémon he wanted. It IS a matter of luck.

Also, when I search for ranger's wages, besides taking in mind everything the park put emphasis into, I also check for length. Short phrases mean poor effort from the ranger. We can NOT, however, put a "post" limit on a capture. That's a matter for the ranger to decide. We could, however, try a "character" limit on battle posts and one different on non-battle posts. Nothing extreme, of course, but somethin more than 2 lines per post would be better.

...I'd like to propose the following rules in order to fair things up for all of us:
-Restrict Special Pokémon to one per park run. The encounter should be made harder by the ranger, if any.
-Rearrange Special Pokémon, Rare Pokémon and beyond.
-Do not allow rangers to trade Pokémon with trainers they have roleplayed with.
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
  #28  
Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Galleon's Avatar
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shenanigansville
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
When I submitted my application, I was hoping to find one Porygon-Z, not three. I could not have possibly known I was getting three in that moment. Of course I used the repellant for getting a Porygon-Z - some settings allow a 50% chance you'll encounter the special Pokémon you want if you do the right investment. It was after I got the three of 'em that everyone made a big fuss about it. It was a struck of luck and nothing else, just as how Bumblebee went into the park once and had to pass through 15 pokémon to fail in encountering a Rotom - the Pokémon he wanted. It IS a matter of luck.
Uh-huh. Luck. That's actually part of the whole damn problem, Marth. The fact that it is so ridiculously luck-based is complete hogwash. What's more, you saw this gaping hole and decided it was better to just take all those free P-Z's and wait for everyone to notice, rather than bring it to someone's attention, and actually, y'know, try to fix the problem. Considering that you're an Official and a Ranger, that's rather disgusting behavior.

Also, I second everything that Emma said. If the Park isn't fixed soon, I intend to make sure that it's closed until it is.
__________________
MEH.
  #29  
Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

Uh-huh. Luck. That's actually part of the whole damn problem, Marth. The fact that it is so ridiculously luck-based is complete hogwash. What's more, you saw this gaping hole and decided it was better to just take all those free P-Z's and wait for everyone to notice, rather than bring it to someone's attention, and actually, y'know, try to fix the problem. Considering that you're an Official and a Ranger, that's rather disgusting behavior.

Also, I second everything that Emma said. If the Park isn't fixed soon, I intend to make sure that it's closed until it is.
I did bring it to our head ranger's attention, Mr. Galleon =P
That's when it was decided to ban the electric repellent. I'd be more than happy to give up the remaining Porygon-Z's, if it serves as some sort of retroactive law application. I only use 'em as bait for newbies =)
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
  #30  
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Galleon's Avatar
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shenanigansville
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
I did bring it to our head ranger's attention, Mr. Galleon =P
That's when it was decided to ban the electric repellent. I'd be more than happy to give up the remaining Porygon-Z's, if it serves as some sort of retroactive law application. I only use 'em as bait for newbies =)
Sounds good to me. Go ahead and do that, then.
__________________
MEH.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com