Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Default Re: Gay/Les/Bi-Sexual/Straight

@Kenny: I don't really think like it's ingrained in your brain or anything like that... And the animal thing, isn't it really just because that's the way the reproduce? I won't pretend I'm some big expert on the subject or anything, though...

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Send a message via AIM to Stinky

Hi, gay male here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival Silver View Post
I'm straight.

I have nothing against gays, I don't think they should adopt though. Kinda odd dealing with two dads and the way they act. Same with lesbians.

I'm cool with woman bi's... but guys.. no, just no.
So you're saying that I can't enjoy parenting just because you think it'd be weird for a child to be raised by two men? Thanks! I sort of see what you mean in that society would think it is weird, but it's a step we need to take if we want to transition to a society where homosexuality is fully accepted.

And also, it's not a belief. Nor a viewpoint. Why would anyone choose to be discriminated against by a large majority of the population? I know little to nothing about studies being done on the science behind it; but I certainly didn't wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'm going to be gay!"

Last edited by Stinky; 10-17-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Jack Frost Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jack Frost

@Doodlebop: Nobody chooses to be gay. If you wanted to, could you just make yourself be attracted to the same sex? No because it is not the way you are and it is similar for gay/bisexual's, they do not choose this, it is just the way they are.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:46 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
So you're saying that I can't enjoy parenting just because you think it'd be weird for a child to be raised by two men? Thanks!

And also, it's not a belief. Nor a viewpoint. Why would anyone choose to be discriminated against by a large majority of the population? I mean I know little to nothing about studies being done on the science behind it; but I certainly didn't wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'm going to be gay!"
^ Pretty much my views on the subject. Although, I do remember hearing something about scientists being able to make female rats (or mice, something like that) lesbian by removing a certain gene. Don't know whether that would have any resemblance to how homosexuality is in humans, but it's something to consider.

Also, adoption isn't the only way for gay couples to get a child. There's surrogate fathers/mothers, too.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Alright, fine. Maybe not. But still, while you may be more inclined to go one way than the other, I strongly doubt it's entirely impossible for someone straight to become gay or vice versa. :/

Again, I do not mean anyone any offense or harm. I have nothing against you if you're gay/bi/lesbian, nor does anyone else I know that share my viewpoints. It's just that we disagree on a subject.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Kaioo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Kaioo

Well, to be quite truthful, this is my own personal view and if you flame me saying I am insulting their rights to express themselves, then you'll be going against my own rights to express myself.

Truthfully, I think that same-sex stuff is against how nature is meant to be, but that doesn't mean I have anything against Gay people, or even against the Gay culture, merely I think that nature did not intend us to have same-sex etc. because how would we reproduce... think.. if everyone were gay/lesbian we would never reproduce..

Credit to Neo Pikachu for the avatar.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM
AcrossTheUniverse Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to AcrossTheUniverse

Okay. Just so everyone can stop saying that if everyone was gay/lesbian we would go extinct, we have sperm banks and artificial insemination everyone. This is the 21st century. Keep up.

I am personally a gay male. Proud and strong for 4 years now, since I was 12. I'm personally positive that the way you turn out to be, gay/straight/lesbian/bi, is something you're born with and could not possibly be a choice. I have been flaming my entire life. I used to play dress up and wear dresses and skirts and I had the barbies and polly-pockets and everything.

Another thing, yes I would love for all gay rights to be legalized. But I noticed earlier that someone mentioned that we're not the only ones fighting for rights. Yes I know that. Were African American's the only ones fighting for rights during their time?? No. Probably not. But it was their turn, like it is ours. (Also that person mentioned that the "pot-smokers" are also fighting for their rights. I'm sure there are groups fighting that are more important than that)

One thing I'm very glad about though is that religion has not been dragged into this so far. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
@Kenny: I don't really think like it's ingrained in your brain or anything like that... And the animal thing, isn't it really just because that's the way the reproduce? I won't pretend I'm some big expert on the subject or anything, though...
This is why the studies are so fascinating. Admittedly the data about the brain sexual dimorphism was in the medical neurology course I took (in med school), so I can't say that this is 100%, but sure as heck it's a lot more valid than your own gut feeling.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Kaioo Offline

Someone isn't born gay. It's not inherited, or genetical. People discover their sexuality due to hormones when they're a teenager.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioo View Post
Someone isn't born gay. It's not inherited, or genetical. People discover their sexuality due to hormones when they're a teenager.
May I ask how you know this to be a fact? Or is that what you think? Because this might be based on opinion.

Part of me thinks this to be true, but the higher part (I'd say 65%) thinks someone is born with their preference. I've heard very convincing stories from my gay friends and some from my heterosexual friends.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Kaioo Offline

Well, a bit of opinion and a bit of scientific fact splayed in our local paper a few years back stated that it was due to hormones most of the time, as you don't discover your sexuality until you're a teenager...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
This has, however, been shown on rats. Population size directly correlates with homosexuality rates in lab controlled experiments.
Now that's interesting! However, I think a big part of the rural/urban divide could be that rural areas, in general, tend to have more traditional values than urban areas, so people are under more pressure to hide their deviant sexual orientation and the like or deny it altogether.

Now, this is just speculation with no basis in studies or anything, but doesn't it seem like there are a lot more homosexual or even just bisexual people in general in past years, especially among the younger generation? Of course, a chunk of it consists of teens jumping on the bandwagon and claiming bisexuality when they're really straight, and there's definitely the factor of varying orientations being more socially acceptable nowadays, but hey, that'd definitely fit with the study you talked about, Kenny.

And Kaioo...I dunno, man. Didn't you ever have little crushes on girls when you were in early elementary school or the like, not at all sexual but still present nonetheless? Don't see why a gay guy couldn't have the same early crushes on boys instead, and that's definitely way before puberty. Sounds like AcrossTheUniverse is our guy to ask about that, though.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Kaioo Offline

Uhh, I was one of those "eeeew cuties" kids XP.. I think, it's been about 18 years or so... I first had my crush when I was 12, and that was when I started puberty...

Last edited by Sixto; 10-17-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Quote:
Uhh, I was one of those "eeeew cuties" kids XP.. I think, it's been about 18 years or so... I first had my crush when I was 12, and that was when I started puberty...
Do you mean cooties? If not, that would be a hilarious irony.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean to quote your post, not edit it. XD But seriously, you said "cuties." XD
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Well, a bit of opinion and a bit of scientific fact splayed in our local paper a few years back stated that it was due to hormones most of the time, as you don't discover your sexuality until you're a teenager...
g
False association. You don't begin to have sexual urges until puberty, but that is a completely seperate issue from sexual orientation. For example, I had my first crush when I was 8, well before puberty. Along the same lines, I know a girl who happens to be a lesbian who, when she was 7 or 8, used to imagine herself as the knight riding in to save the princess and get a kiss rather than the princess waiting for the knight, and who had crushes on other little girls in the same vein as my 8 year old crush. The difference is that it doesn't actually *mean* anything until puberty, when crushes turn into proper romantic attraction and lust and we start to learn what that means. It's not that we don't have a sexual orientation, it's just that that's when we begin to understand what those funny feelings when we look at the boy/girl we "like like" really mean.

Edit: As to Doodlebob's standpoint, I don't think any testing has actually been done along the lines of non-genetic or pre-natal causes for homosexuality, so whether other things can influence your orientation is a matter that still needs to look into. However, as someone with several friends and two family members who aren't straight and who has directly questioned them on this, I can tell you quite certainly that no one makes an active, conscious decision to be gay.

If you want my personal opinion, I think it's partially societal, and that in fact most of us are somewhere in the middle of the Sliding Scale of Bisexuality. The only reason we don't recognize it is because of the personal stigma. Look at Kaioo, who openly admits to having had gay thoughts but outright states that he wouldn't go there because it weirds him out. I can say exactly the same thing. But if you look at, say, ancient Greece or Japan, do you think they had that same stigma?

Last edited by Lord Fedora; 10-17-2010 at 09:26 PM.