Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Ideas and Premises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Its possible it could be from pollution and the ozone layer of the Pokemon world disappearing.
Ozone layer has nothing to do with global warming ;) Anyways, it doesn't particularly matter, as the Teams are out to get the legendaries anyways, so it's pretty irrelevant.

Quote:
Derek could have snagged research about the nuclear missile during one of his missions, and had a scientist to verify that the missile had a construction flaw, overcompensated for element/mechanic of the missile, or something to that nature.
Well, couldn't he just point that out to Aqua? It's assuming an awful lot of stupidity on Team Aqua's part, which is why I don't always like the "Group X is going to do Y which will inadvertently do Z! We have to stop them!" storylines, because there has to be a pretty good reason for why Group X can't see why their plan won't work... I could see it happening with some more exotic form of weapon, but something as mundane and predictable as a nuclear missile? Archie (or whoever's in charge now) would have to be pretty thick to ignore scientific evidence that his missile's going to explode at the wrong moment or something.

Quote:
I disagree. I doubt a rifle would do very much against many rock and ground types. Not to mention some Pokemon would be able to move so fast that trying to shoot them would be like shoot a peregrine falcon out of the air. And if that Pokemon strikes at the shooter, who do you think it going to win?
You can always shoot the trainer. Even if he does have his Pokemon out to protect him, unless he's hiding inside them there's going to be some angle from which a sniper can pick him off without him being able to defend.

And yes, I remember that, I was a part of that RP too you know xD And while that is definitely a plausible example of Pokemon-tech integration, when it's just one trainer you have to kill you really could just shoot him...

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 05-08-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:20 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Ozone layer has nothing to do with global warming ;) Anyways, it doesn't particularly matter, as the Teams are out to get the legendaries anyways, so it's pretty irrelevant.
Really? So every science teacher I've had since 3rd grade has been completely wrong? What an interesting coincidence. See, I knew homework was a waste of time.

Quote:
Well, couldn't he just point that out to Aqua? It's assuming an awful lot of stupidity on Team Aqua's part, which is why I don't always like the "Group X is going to do Y which will inadvertently do Z! We have to stop them!" storylines, because there has to be a pretty good reason for why Group X can't see why their plan won't work... I could see it happening with some more exotic form of weapon, but something as mundane and predictable as a nuclear missile? Archie (or whoever's in charge now) would have to be pretty thick to ignore scientific evidence that his missile's going to explode at the wrong moment or something.
Oh, there's plenty of reasons. Aqua's scientists could be stubborn groupthinkers, their research team may have overlooked an element of the construction that might have been seen more clearly by someone outside the bias of the department, the project may have been rushed, or they are in fear of the dire consequences that could come with announcing the possible failure of such an important project.

Quote:
You can always shoot the trainer. Even if he does have his Pokemon out to protect him, unless he's hiding inside them there's going to be some angle from which a sniper can pick him off without him being able to defend.

And yes, I remember that, I was a part of that RP too you know xD And while that is definitely a plausible example of Pokemon-tech integration, when it's just one trainer you have to kill you really could just shoot him...
When it comes to a single solider and collective influence is not in play, then this largely depends on the kind of relationship that the trainer had with their Pokemon prior to being killed in action. Pokemon that were loyal to the trainer would likely aggressively react to the successful attempt on the trainer's life, whereas evil Pokemon or Pokemon that were poorly treated by their trainer would be more likely to abandon the situation for self-preservation and feel indifferent toward the dead trainer.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Grsspkmnmaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Grsspkmnmaster

I think I'll go ahead with the fic. I might work out the problems on the way

Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsspkmnmaster View Post
I think I'll go ahead with the fic. I might work out the problems on the way
Go for it, but I suggest you plan out at least most of your fic before you start writing. Trust me, writing your fic while not having to worry what's going to come next or that you have a huge plot hole or something to fix later is a lot more fun and ejoyable. Much less stressful, that's for fure. :3

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Pokol DaErran Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Go for it, but I suggest you plan out at least most of your fic before you start writing. Trust me, writing your fic while not having to worry what's going to come next or that you have a huge plot hole or something to fix later is a lot more fun and ejoyable. Much less stressful, that's for fure. :3

- Kat
Personally, I prefer to write a fanfic with only a general idea of what I want the plot to be like. I find that it generally causes a lot more surprising things to happen, and a few things that will even surprise you, which is nice.

Although, I do have an... unusual style of fanfic. And not having to struggle to come up with what you want the characters to do in the next chapter is nice.

Overall, it's just down to what you prefer. Just like pretty much everything in fanfic. :T

Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokol DaErran View Post
Personally, I prefer to write a fanfic with only a general idea of what I want the plot to be like. I find that it generally causes a lot more surprising things to happen, and a few things that will even surprise you, which is nice.

Although, I do have an... unusual style of fanfic. And not having to struggle to come up with what you want the characters to do in the next chapter is nice.

Overall, it's just down to what you prefer. Just like pretty much everything in fanfic. :T
That's true, too. For example, with my URPG Stories and one-shots, all I begin is with a faint idea and go from there. For fan fics, I just tend to plan out everything first to avoid things like lack of characterization, plot holes, unexplained questions, and so on. I would hate to be 20+ chapters into a fic and then realize I'm running into a plot hole or that my characters have stayed exactly the same thorughout the whole thing. @_@

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Really? So every science teacher I've had since 3rd grade has been completely wrong? What an interesting coincidence. See, I knew homework was a waste of time.
*shrugs* You don't have to believe me, but if anything, ozone depletion would cause cooling, not warming.

Quote:
Oh, there's plenty of reasons. Aqua's scientists could be stubborn groupthinkers, their research team may have overlooked an element of the construction that might have been seen more clearly by someone outside the bias of the department, the project may have been rushed, or they are in fear of the dire consequences that could come with announcing the possible failure of such an important project.
Yeah, so basically they're stupid >.> I suppose it's plausible under certain circumstances, but making the villains stupid so the righteousness of the actions of the protagonist aren't in doubt just doesn't sit well with me.

Quote:
When it comes to a single solider and collective influence is not in play, then this largely depends on the kind of relationship that the trainer had with their Pokemon prior to being killed in action. Pokemon that were loyal to the trainer would likely aggressively react to the successful attempt on the trainer's life, whereas evil Pokemon or Pokemon that were poorly treated by their trainer would be more likely to abandon the situation for self-preservation and feel indifferent toward the dead trainer.
Which makes sense if Pokemon were real, but when the hero dies early on in the story because the villains are actually semi-competent, it doesn't make for much of a fanfic :D

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Giratina Offline

@Lusankya and Neo Pikachu:
My Science teacher has not shut up about this subject for the last few weeks, so I felt compelled to add in what he's been saying. I will relay that the ozone layer, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with global warming OR cooling. The thing that's causing global warming is the accumulation of certain "greenhouse gases" in the atmosphere, which traps the Sun's heat in the troposphere - and, therefore, on us. The problem with ozone is that A) we're making it down here where it's poisonous and not higher in the atmosphere where it's beneficial and B) ozone deflects UV rays, which have a whole spectrum (pardon the pun) of health issues. Hence, when ozone is gone, more ultraviolet rays get through.

[coughs and exits]

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 05-20-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
My Science teacher has not shut up about this subject for the last few weeks, so I felt compelled to add in what he's been saying. I will relay that the ozone layer, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with global warming OR cooling. The thing that's causing global warming is the accumulation of certain "greenhouse gases" in the atmosphere, which traps the Sun's heat in the troposphere - and, therefore, on us.

The problem with ozone is that A) we're making it down here where it's poisonous and not higher in the atmosphere where it's beneficial and B) ozone deflects UV rays, which have a whole spectrum (pardon the pun) of health issues. Hence, when ozone is gone, more ultraviolet rays get through.

[coughs and exits]
Ozone is actually a greenhouse gas, which is why ozone depletion would cause cooling if anything :3 But it's not very effective at doing so (only about 25% the greenhouse effect of carbon dioxide), which is why ozone depletion is nowhere even near countering the effects of the increase in other greenhouse gases.

AAAAnyways, back on topic. >.>

Art Gallery
Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 AM
nobartholem Offline
Amateur Trainer

Prologue:
Quote:
This story is set in the world of Pokemon. Man has since departed from the world of Pokemon, and they are left to fend for themselves. As people do, and as animals do, the Pokemon arrange into cliques with one another. Separating them is the two realms of mortality, good and evil. The Human structures house various cliques, but most cities belong to a majority of one of these cliques. The various region's have very little interaction between them, but commerce between cities in a region is common. Usually between two cliques only, but of course their is mysterious mischief between the two alliances, and people are always shifting sides and such. The majority of a species of Pokemon do belong to one clique, as it would be hard to imagine an evil Chansey. This is the story of one group of Pokemon, living in the now barely standing remnants of the greatest symbol of power in Hoenn. The Elite Four. Ever Grande City, now not so ever grand has turned into the opposite of what man meant for it to be.
Story:

Quote:
As the last remaining light in Wallace's chamber flickered out, the few Pokemon that couldn't see in the dark let out a faint groan as the one's that could snickered under their breath. Flicking his tongue out at nobody in particular, Gengar jumped off of the octagonal platform where the once great trainers of their day battled for glory and fame. Landing in the uncleaned pit where the flying Pokemon slept. Despite all the dust, musty air, damp walls, mildew, and mold, the place down there was much more pleasant than that of what the grounded Pokemon slept on. They were huddled together on top of Wallace's Platform. The doors leading into the chamber were open, but unable to be closed seeing as no electricity was present. The Pokemon forced the doors open, or in the case of Sidney's door, ripped them off. This is how they got into the now demolished garden, where the tall grass full of delicious food presided. The Nincada were awfully large, hard to eat, and tasted horribly, but were the most common found, seeing as they were the largest and slowest thing there. They were told not to disturb the Nincada's eggs by Gengar, the shadiest and most evil of them. Occasionally they would find a delicious and easily killed Cascoon or Silcoon. For the older, tougher, and wiser of the group there was sometimes a few Pinsir roaming around. There were very few of them, but they made quite a ruckus as they roamed around, and most of the Pokemon heard them and pinpointed their location. If they could kill it, they had a nice dinner.
Any Ideas on how to further this.

The whole base of the idea is that man is gone, and that pokemon has separated. It is the story of a group of pokemon trying to survive. I have a basic idea of what to put in. I need more of the following.
  • Characters (Pokemon that represent evil sorry no protagonist)
  • The daily life of an evil pokemon
  • Natural behaviors such as instincts, hunting habits, and emotions for all characters

Thank you for your help

My Party:

Last edited by nobartholem; 06-16-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Geez, this thread is awfully dead.

I just wanted to notify some people who are interested in my StormRiders fic that I have some new tales to share. For some time I've wanted to create a few spin-offs, if you will, about other stories that have happened in the land of Talzere. As such, these stories are going to be aptly titled the Tales of Talzere. At the moment I'm not sure how many of these stories I will write, but it will give me a bit of inspiration when I get stuck on StormRiders.

If you've noticed my new banner and avi, I have one such story which I'm currently planning called Resonance. This will be the first tale in the series and focuses on the story of a couple of thieves from a small town in Talzere called Daskarn. This town, laced with poverty, is one day invaded by some strange folk from a city called Kreech in the Land of the Sky. So these two thieves decided to investigate. And trouble ensues! xD

Anyway, the story won't be up until 1; I've written the prologue, and 2; I've written a fair amount of detail about it. As with StormRiders, the first post will include a story summary, chapter guide, character profiles, town summaries, maps and maybe even a website. Knowing all this I'm sure a few people will be excited once I'm able to post it.

n__n

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
Geez, this thread is awfully dead.

I just wanted to notify some people who are interested in my StormRiders fic that I have some new tales to share. For some time I've wanted to create a few spin-offs, if you will, about other stories that have happened in the land of Talzere. As such, these stories are going to be aptly titled the Tales of Talzere. At the moment I'm not sure how many of these stories I will write, but it will give me a bit of inspiration when I get stuck on StormRiders.

If you've noticed my new banner and avi, I have one such story which I'm currently planning called Resonance. This will be the first tale in the series and focuses on the story of a couple of thieves from a small town in Talzere called Daskarn. This town, laced with poverty, is one day invaded by some strange folk from a city called Kreech in the Land of the Sky. So these two thieves decided to investigate. And trouble ensues! xD

Anyway, the story won't be up until 1; I've written the prologue, and 2; I've written a fair amount of detail about it. As with StormRiders, the first post will include a story summary, chapter guide, character profiles, town summaries, maps and maybe even a website. Knowing all this I'm sure a few people will be excited once I'm able to post it.

n__n
That's actually a pretty cool and unique idea to have a spinoff fic that uses the same world, but features different characters and settings. Not to mention the possibility of both stories using the same locations but for different purposes and roles within the story.

Good luck with it, I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Giratina Offline

...Neo, isn't that pretty much the definition of a spinoff? XD Regardless, I too want to see what you're going to make out of this, Gem.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Coddleflop Offline

Planning on writing a fanfic about three deadly-powerful sisters that are searching for a hidden artifact that would bring them all that they want. Yeah, it's a bit sketchy right now, but tell me what you think about the idea ^^
Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddleflop View Post
Planning on writing a fanfic about three deadly-powerful sisters that are searching for a hidden artifact that would bring them all that they want. Yeah, it's a bit sketchy right now, but tell me what you think about the idea ^^
Its good as one plot mechanic, but I think you need a lot more. Who might be opposing them, are these sisters even human, and who else might be seeking this artifact are all questions that you can possibly answer to give your plot some more dynamics. Further depth could be added by letting that artifact grant that power, but come with a cost, such as slowly changing them into something monstrous, causing the world they are in to become more and more blighted, or causing some other weird and strange effect that someone would want to stop before it gets too much out of control. Any crazy thing you can think of is fair game.