Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 AM
ironZEKROM Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default Re: Are we just getting Older or is Pokemon getting worse?

i'm just grateful that they even made a new pokemon game.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

To be honest, I'm extremely disappointed with the entire design concept behind the new Generation of Pokemon. Main reason being, they don't even look like animals anymore. I mean, we literally still have heaps of animals in the world they haven't touched upon and yet, we get given Pokemon that really don't seem animal like.

If this Generation had at least a few Pokemon that I liked I'd be looking forward to it more, but outside of the new graphics COMPLETELY different region, and an age update to the trainers. I just really don't like the game for the simple aspect these Pokemon don't look like Pokemon to me.

Lol, Hoenn had better looking Pokemon in my opinion. xD
Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Galdr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Galdr Send a message via MSN to Galdr Send a message via Yahoo to Galdr Send a message via Skype™ to Galdr

In my opinion, I really think it's both.
Some fans from 1995/1998 who have been here since Red/Blue released are about 20-24 years old by now, and maybe feel they've outgrown Pokemon. Adding to the fact that B&W Pokemon are weird and, as it was said before, not living up to our needy expectations.

Of course, if you see the similar connection, Gen I and Gen V have their own set of 150/156 Pokemon that are exclusive to their own region and not connected, or related, to any other region or the other region's Pokemon.

Johto basically continues Kanto, having pre-evolutions to older Pokemon and new evolutions. Hoenn, has its own set, but Wynaut and Azurill connect to Johto evolutions. Sinnoh had its own set, however they had newer evolutions to previous other Pokemon as well.

So really, Isshu/Unova deserves a chance. The other regions got a chance, and they were well received after gameplay so why not this one? You know, it's wrong to judge a book by its cover, especially without reading into the entire book and looking at its contents~!

I believe we older fans should give B&W a try first. n_n That's my opinion to this~

SoulSilver: 0948 0000 5129
Name: Pichu

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." - Hero's Shade, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
rasta_rude_boy420 Offline

Send a message via AIM to rasta_rude_boy420

I agree with a lot of these posts, but I'd like to believe they intentially didn't release all "amazing" pokemon at one time. In the real world, you aren't going to love every animal you meet, and I think they are hitting upon that aspect of life. In every generation theres been pokemon I disliked, but they all eventually grow on me the more I've played and wanted more variation..

I also agree with the fact that this is a new region, hence a new "world".

Name: RuDE
FC for Diamond: 5327 8686 4592
FC for Platinum: Got Jacked :[
FC for Heart Gold: 5027 6970 5395

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMkCtlaNFn8
Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

You can look at the list of the new Pokemon and tell that they basically took older Pokemon and "improved" upon them. I do dislike many of the new Pokemon, but as I said in a previous thread, I do enjoy some of the newer ones. I would not go as far as to say it is the strongest release since Johto until the numbers have been released pertaining to the popularity of the series and game, and when we hear reviews about the new Pokemon from people on the Internetz.

It is too early to tell, and we have about 2 months until we can get the English version. I am going to say that I did have big expectations because I look at Sinnoh as a small addition to the Pokemon franchise. So, they have had plenty of time, in my opinion, to come up with some, slightly, more amazing Pokemon.

I do not want to seem I am angry or disappointed with the new Pokemon, as I am not... with some of them. All I am saying is, yes they are running out of ideas, as it is my opinion, no one has a basis for an argument. It is plain to see that, yes, some of them if not most of them are based off of older Pokemon. Is that bad? Sort of, but not entirely.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridley View Post

they're running out of ideas.
kill it with fire!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
camds Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
they don't even look like animals anymore. I mean, we literally still have heaps of animals in the world they haven't touched upon and yet, we get given Pokemon that really don't seem animal like.
This was another point raised by me and my friends, the fact that most
original pokemon started out being based on Animals in real life with cute
tweaks or intresting attacks, not all of them were of course, some of them
were based on other real life things but the theme still was apparent.
Yet the new pokemon seem to become more and more abstract, im not
complaining of course but I find that the Generation 5 pokemon that I like
the most are the ones that arnt so over complicated and ugly.

"if you close your eyes, you see darkness, but if you keep them
closed for long enough, you see light"

Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Arch Enemy Offline
Force the Reason

Send a message via AIM to Arch Enemy Send a message via MSN to Arch Enemy

Well y'know, Pokémon apparently stands for Pocket Monsters. They aren't really supposed to look like animals... They're supposed to look more like monsters than animals. And, some of the new Pokémon still kinda do look like animals, Aianto and Denchura for example, one of them looks like an ant, and the other one looks like a spider. d:

Most of us, who have been a Pokémon fan for a long time, just don't like the newer ones, probably because we've been growing up with the older ones (which looks more like animals) and expect every new Pokémon to have the same kind of style or look like animals.

So, yeah, we're just getting older. We may not like it, but the younger people (or the newer Pokémon fans) may. xD
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

To be honest. I embrace change when it is introduced in the right quantities and is presented in the right ways. However, recent additions to what I like to call, the PokeArsenal, have been the Pokemon equivalent to a LAW. Look powerful, decent in certain situations, but break after the first use.

What do I mean to say? None of the new Pokemon really look stable. They just do not look like... Pokemon anymore. Believe me when I say, Sinnoh Pokemon were quite awesome, and those were introduced quite recently (3-4 years ago). These new ones, they are new, yes but I think it is unfair to say I dislike them just because they are. Face it, these new ones do look strange, but that is not the major reason I dislike them. It is just the fact that most of them seem like I have seen them before. They took old ones and, as I said before, "improved" upon them.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-14-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
camds Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
What do I mean to say? None of the new Pokemon really look stable. They just do not look like... Pokemon anymore. Believe me when I say, Sinnoh Pokemon were quite awesome,

This to the max.

"if you close your eyes, you see darkness, but if you keep them
closed for long enough, you see light"

Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I just think a lot more people are growing out of Pokémon, cannot embrace the new nor intend to see what they originally loved and grew up with expand or change. I have been a loyal, dedicated fan for more than twelve years, and not once has my loyalty wavered. I had to grin and bear it through Hoenn, but I saw the light again once we got to Sinnoh. Now, at Unova, I think we are going back to Pokémon's roots. Believe it or not, Pokémon took a noble and worthy risk of creating a generation filled with brand-new Pokémon, not just a handful of new ones and then a bunch of pre-evolutions and evolutions. And I am afraid I do not understand what people say when they say that the new Pokémon "don't look like Pokémon." They are. Each generaton has a specific style. Kanto was just simplicity. Johto took said simplicity and made it better. Hoenn took a risk and failed with its "advanced" style. Sinnoh improved off of that a little. Unova combined the simplicity and the advanced to form something new. And I love it. ;D

~Professor Geoffrey

Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Eun Min Offline

To me, Pokemon is getting worse, and only a small factor counts on the fact that we're getting older (for me that that is). Epecially starting from the B&W series. Most of them don't even look like pokemon. I think they're running out of ideas.
Sinnoh, Hoenn, Johto, Kanto they're all exceptional-normal-looking pokemon at least.
Most of the Pokemon I've seen from B&W so far, aren't fitting in my standards of "normal-looking" pokemon.
On the other hand, I'm thinking that younger kids may enjoy these new Pokemon as they aren't comparing Unova to the older pokemon (especially for the anime) - yet! =P

Factoring what Professor Geoffrey said, I guess they are trying to create "new-original-looking" pokemon. And I guess I've got to give them credit for that! ^^
Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
they don't even look like animals anymore.
Grimer, Magnemite, Voltorb, Porygon, Geodude, Beldum, and many more want a word with you.

I think the problem is that we have no set criteria for what makes a Pokemon, a Pokemon. I still see most of the newer Pokemon as incredibly original. Really, when you compare something like Vanipeti (the ice cream) to Voltorb, you can't say that the latter is more original. Equal, maybe, but not more original.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 AM
killanotha1 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to killanotha1 Send a message via MSN to killanotha1 Send a message via Yahoo to killanotha1

I kind of hate whenever this question is brought up, not because it causes you to think about why you dislike the new games, but because few people actually think about why they dislike the new games.

"The new pokemon don't look like animals/ all suck / are so unoriginal!1!"

They don't look like animals? What animal do you think of when you see voltorb? Jynx? Onix? Geodude? Porygon? The list continues.

They all suck? I hate pikachu. I hate pikachu with a fiery passion that rivals the heat of the suns core. But I understand that this is my opinion, and it isn't a valid reason for disliking a whole new slew of pokemon. Heck, I played that monster racing game (the one for the DS?) and I enjoyed it! I didn't particularly like any of the monsters involved.

And the originality thing is just dumb. "Too many dogs/ cats / frogs" Wow, so in your world you have one dog called "dog"? Pretty sweet.

But enough about that, I'll answer the actual question.

We are just getting older. And franchises change, because franchises are business geared and who wants to keep the same target audience for 10 years with the obvious threat of them leaving? Sure we are still here, but if I play pokemon around any of my friends who don't also play it the first thing I hear is "Uh . . . Aren't you a bit too old for pokemon?" Which is why Nintendo isn't going to make a "Create a pokemon contest" for people who have been with it for years. They're not going to ask players of r/b/y to send in their opinions on what direction pokemon should be going in. You're going to get a bunch of adults trying to find things that might look cool / cute /awesome to a 9 / 10 / 11 year old.

||||Rapidash: 276||Done: 456||URPG||
That Avatar is MINE.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
justinarose Offline
New Trainer

Frankly, there's no point getting depressed about our ages, obviously the games aren't JUST aimed at 10 year olds. SHow me a 10 year old who understands EV training, IV's, the complexities of breeding... etc... When I started out I just caught stuff and leveled it up. No way I could beat other people, just pass the E4. I think there is definatley a primary audience, but the designers are adults too, and they know that a lot of older people appreciate it, thats why they've built so many little details into it.

Gen V looks pretty sweet, and like all generations, I think that there are definately some weak-looking weird pokemon, even some of the legendaries... but there's tonnes of cool-looking ones too. We can't overlook all the awesome ones for the sake of a few crappy ones.