Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Are we just getting Older or is Pokemon getting worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killanotha1 View Post
I kind of hate whenever this question is brought up, not because it causes you to think about why you dislike the new games, but because few people actually think about why they dislike the new games.

"The new pokemon don't look like animals/ all suck / are so unoriginal!1!"

They don't look like animals? What animal do you think of when you see voltorb? Jynx? Onix? Geodude? Porygon? The list continues.

They all suck? I hate pikachu. I hate pikachu with a fiery passion that rivals the heat of the suns core. But I understand that this is my opinion, and it isn't a valid reason for disliking a whole new slew of pokemon. Heck, I played that monster racing game (the one for the DS?) and I enjoyed it! I didn't particularly like any of the monsters involved.

And the originality thing is just dumb. "Too many dogs/ cats / frogs" Wow, so in your world you have one dog called "dog"? Pretty sweet.

But enough about that, I'll answer the actual question.

We are just getting older. And franchises change, because franchises are business geared and who wants to keep the same target audience for 10 years with the obvious threat of them leaving? Sure we are still here, but if I play pokemon around any of my friends who don't also play it the first thing I hear is "Uh . . . Aren't you a bit too old for pokemon?" Which is why Nintendo isn't going to make a "Create a pokemon contest" for people who have been with it for years. They're not going to ask players of r/b/y to send in their opinions on what direction pokemon should be going in. You're going to get a bunch of adults trying to find things that might look cool / cute /awesome to a 9 / 10 / 11 year old.

The new Pokemon game is geared for an older audience you know. And, as justinarose put it quite nicely, Pokemon is created by adults. Honestly, Pokemon isn't as big with the young kids now days as it was when we were young kids, so I think they are starting to realize that they should cater to slightly older audiences. If you notice, they are making everything seem to be older. The characters in all previous Pokemon games started out at the age of ten, but the new ones are fourteen.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Quiet Camerupt Offline

I don't really think its either us getting to old or the designs getting worse. Every generation has always hard those "cool" kind of pokemon as well as rather quirky ones. Even with the first generation, I doubt anyone actually likes all 151 original designs (I've always hated pikachu). Generation V has the same ideal, just perhaps a bit more quirky...(I do admit the ice cream cone thing is kind of ridiculous...)

On a side note, Roobushin is my favourite.

My Completed Leafgreen Nuzlocke Run:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...67#post3292767

Last edited by Quiet Camerupt; 01-20-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Kenny Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

They are running out of ideas. This is the 3rd region in a row where we have a Fire/Fighting starter.

And they made way too many Dragons in this game. Dragons are supposed to be exclusive, but now there are too many of them, dammit.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:39 AM
buckbear Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
The new Pokemon game is geared for an older audience you know. And, as justinarose put it quite nicely, Pokemon is created by adults. Honestly, Pokemon isn't as big with the young kids now days as it was when we were young kids, so I think they are starting to realize that they should cater to slightly older audiences. If you notice, they are making everything seem to be older. The characters in all previous Pokemon games started out at the age of ten, but the new ones are fourteen.
The anime, in a nutshell, is getting worse. Not only is it becoming repetitive, but main characters are becoming disposable (Misty's been replaced with the female mascot of the generation and rumor has it Brock is being replaced in the 5th generation's anime)
Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 AM
smallz2011 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to smallz2011 Send a message via Yahoo to smallz2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
They are running out of ideas. This is the 3rd region in a row where we have a Fire/Fighting starter.

And they made way too many Dragons in this game. Dragons are supposed to be exclusive, but now there are too many of them, dammit.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on an official Pokemon site in an interview where the question was raised that some of the new Pokemon look very similar to the older ones (ie. Magnemite and Clink). The answer to the question was that since this is a new region, there are new Pokemon, but they wanted to show more of an evolutionary type aspect to it. Not like Pokemon evolution like Charmander->Charmeleon->Charizard, but like Darwin's evolution. The area is different so the Pokemon that live there adapted differently. That's why the new buffalo Pokemon is not an evolution of Tauros. The idea is that they started out being the same, but adapted to their environment differently.

Look back at the other generations: Starly = Pidgey, Ralts = Abra, Wurmple = Weedle/Caterpie, do they not? Throughout the series that have had Pokemon that are similar to older ones. This one actually has some pretty nicely designed Pokemon, but at the same time it has some crappy ones. Even Pokemon in Generation I were similar, Jigglypuff and Clefairy, two pink blobs, nothing really special, just... blobs.

Maybe they did some research and realized that the buyers of their games like Dragons, so they made more? They are a company afterall, so marketing is important to them. What if they put out a game where all the Pokemon were just colored blobs? No one would buy it because it would suck. Appreciate the work they put into the new Pokemon, or don't buy the game.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Lohuydahutt Offline

In defence of first generation AND 5th generation. Wait no, I can only defend 5th generation because the only thing I can say in defence of voltorb and grimer is that I personally like them. In defence of 5th generation they made this guy

the greatest cat pokemon yet in my opinion (meowth in a close second.) And the ice cream pokemon. Not my style but it is an attractor to people who like cute pokemon. My least favorite is probably the pony legendary. They did not make the greatest legendaries. The main two legendaries the legendary trio the robot bug are the only good ones. Victini is LIKEABLE but doesn't look legendary enough. Same with Meloetta. And in reply to some one saying that onix isn't based on an animal. YES IT IS it is a rock snake. A giant uber over sized rock snake.

Last edited by Lohuydahutt; 01-28-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallz2011 View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on an official Pokemon site in an interview where the question was raised that some of the new Pokemon look very similar to the older ones (ie. Magnemite and Clink). The answer to the question was that since this is a new region, there are new Pokemon, but they wanted to show more of an evolutionary type aspect to it. Not like Pokemon evolution like Charmander->Charmeleon->Charizard, but like Darwin's evolution. The area is different so the Pokemon that live there adapted differently. That's why the new buffalo Pokemon is not an evolution of Tauros. The idea is that they started out being the same, but adapted to their environment differently.

Look back at the other generations: Starly = Pidgey, Ralts = Abra, Wurmple = Weedle/Caterpie, do they not? Throughout the series that have had Pokemon that are similar to older ones. This one actually has some pretty nicely designed Pokemon, but at the same time it has some crappy ones. Even Pokemon in Generation I were similar, Jigglypuff and Clefairy, two pink blobs, nothing really special, just... blobs.

Maybe they did some research and realized that the buyers of their games like Dragons, so they made more? They are a company afterall, so marketing is important to them. What if they put out a game where all the Pokemon were just colored blobs? No one would buy it because it would suck. Appreciate the work they put into the new Pokemon, or don't buy the game.
Yes, well, it definitely seems like they are evolving to an older fanbase as well, considering they aren't trying to impressing more younger children, but yet more teen-aged children.

Also, people love legendaries, so I guess they should just release a ton of legendaries next, neh?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-30-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Zeraylph Offline

Yeah, after looking around about more info on P B/W

I'm not gonna get it. I'm gonna stick with what ol poke games I have now.

Plus the animated sprites annoy me, I don't know why. I just prefer static ones.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Blitzkrieg Offline
Amateur Trainer

It's getting much worse, considering the design and English names of the fifth generation Pokemon. The gimmicks are also getting more and more prevalent.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohuydahutt View Post
In defence of first generation AND 5th generation. Wait no, I can only defend 5th generation because the only thing I can say in defence of voltorb and grimer is that I personally like them. In defence of 5th generation they made this guy

the greatest cat pokemon yet in my opinion (meowth in a close second.) And the ice cream pokemon. Not my style but it is an attractor to people who like cute pokemon. My least favorite is probably the pony legendary. They did not make the greatest legendaries. The main two legendaries the legendary trio the robot bug are the only good ones. Victini is LIKEABLE but doesn't look legendary enough. Same with Meloetta. And in reply to some one saying that onix isn't based on an animal. YES IT IS it is a rock snake. A giant uber over sized rock snake.
same could be said for MEW but he's banned..
and the pony Legend you speak of.. Virizion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
It's getting much worse, considering the design and English names of the fifth generation Pokemon. The gimmicks are also getting more and more prevalent.

...examples... names ok i'll give you that one

Pokérus Empire

Last edited by Mr420; 02-03-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Blitzkrieg Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Few Examples of Poor Design
As for gimmicks, the contests, triathlons, dress-up games, and singing contests are some examples. It's become more of a casual ___ Mama game than Pokemon.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Tsujin Offline

Quote:
As for gimmicks, the contests, triathlons, dress-up games, and singing contests are some examples. It's become more of a casual ___ Mama game than Pokemon.
What about the gimmicks? The gimmicks are awesome.

You're saying the gimmicks are bad as if they take away from the game. They story-line and gameplay was amazing. The gimmicks give you something to do after the game has been completed. Such as the Pokeathlon is HG/SS. I personally loved it. It gave me something to do when I didn't feel like running through the Battle Frontier. I've never liked contests much since they were implemented in the 3rd Gen. but I've never complained about them seeing as I figured somebody out there liked them. It also gives you something stupid to do when you play locally with friends besides battling. Also the majority of those Pokemon that you posted that have "poor designs" are awesome. I don't know why every is complaining about the new pokemon and then in a couple months nobody will notice them or complain anymore because they've gotten used to them.

| Friend Codes / Trade Thread / Battle Log |
| Me IRL / Pokerus Empire / YouTube |
Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Blitzkrieg Offline
Amateur Trainer

I guess tastes are subjective. I'm personally in it only for battling, and to be the best at battling. I could care less about the girly contests and such. And I also think a majority of the Pokemon designs are abhorrent.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Tsujin Offline

Quote:
I guess tastes are subjective. I'm personally in it only for battling, and to be the best at battling. I could care less about the girly contests and such. And I also think a majority of the Pokemon designs are abhorrent.
Yeah but if you're in it for only battling you're most likely wifi battling which it wouldn't matter whether the gimmicks are in it or not and the Battle Frontier is still present regardless. And personally I think that if you (not personally you but you in general) don't like the new pokemon and everything then what's the point of even getting the new game? You could just stick with the old game as some people are doing and just battle on that where the "girly" contests are less present.

| Friend Codes / Trade Thread / Battle Log |
| Me IRL / Pokerus Empire / YouTube |
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Blitzkrieg Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujin View Post
Yeah but if you're in it for only battling you're most likely wifi battling which it wouldn't matter whether the gimmicks are in it or not and the Battle Frontier is still present regardless. And personally I think that if you (not personally you but you in general) don't like the new pokemon and everything then what's the point of even getting the new game? You could just stick with the old game as some people are doing and just battle on that where the "girly" contests are less present.
I bought the new game because of the new battling system I must master and the new Pokemon who would benefit my team further. Pokemon such as Landlos, Genesect, and Doryuzuu are perfect for my Sandstorm team I created.