Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default The Role Play Forge - RP Creation Teamwork

The Role Play Forge
RP Creation Teamwork

It’s true, sometimes the best ideas aren’t made by one person alone, but that one person can help get things started. The goal of this thread is to take one person’s initial ideas and get other people to help with creating more aspects and elements to the RP and help turn it into something epic. Also, it can help you get feedback from other members regarding what their views on the RP are.

Meanwhile, if you’re submitting your RP ideas here, be open to suggestions, and be willing to change aspects of your RP around, especially if you’ve hit a wall and you need other people to help turn an idea into a full-fledged role play. At the same time, if you’re coming here to help others with their role plays, be creative, inventive, and suggest things that can help the RP achieve new heights and include new dynamics.

SUBMITTING YOUR RP IDEA

To help you place a layout for others to see where you’re going with your RP idea, follow this form.

RP Title: – If you have one, put it here. If not, that’s perfectly okay.
RP Fandom Basis: – Mention if its Pokémon or non-Pokémon. If its following another fandom, mention it here so those who are familiar with it know what to expect. Completely original ideas are also a definite go, so don't feel the need to feel forced to tie this to a fandom of any kind if that's not what you had in mind.
Opening Plot and Exposition: – Give us a quick summary of what you’re expecting the beginning storyline to be like, and what the RP is about. Mention what kinds of characters you’re expecting people to create (if they’ll be humans, Pokémon, fantasy races, and so on), and what kind of world/setting they will be placed in. What’s the crisis at hand, and what will turn these characters into heroes and antagonists? What’s an example of something that might happen in this RP? The more depth you provide, the better people will understand where you’re trying to go with this idea and will come up with more ideas that fit the foundation you’ve provided.
Inspiration: – What inspired you to come up with this idea, and it is based on something from another game, story, movie, or something like that?
Where you need help: – Chances are good you came here trying to see if there was anything more you could add onto your RP, or if you think something should be changed about it. Also, if you got stuck, mention what seems to be blocking you from adding more or is stopping you from feeling confident about releasing the RP.

RESPONDING TO RP IDEAS

Since people who are submitting RP ideas need help, that’s where you come in and can offer some of your advice. Mention what RP idea you’re referring to, and try to use this as a guideline:

Would I take part in this, yes or no? – Don’t just say yes, highlight the things that the idea-creator mentioned that drew in your interest. See if you can expand on them a bit, and have them cover more ground. And if not…

What would I like to see added to this RP that would make me take part in it? – Yes, you! If you like the original idea, what could be added to make it even better? And if you’re not too keen on the idea, what are some of the things about it that deter your interest, and what could be changed to make you want to take part in it? Be honest, the more open and forward you are, the more the creator will understand where others are coming from and can adjust the idea accordingly to the opinions of other people.

Things that could help: – What are some of the things that you think would be nice to see added into this RP, even if they don’t quite fit the original theme the creator was intending (who knows, they might find a way to tie it in anyway). The more detail you provide, the better the creator will see your ideas and possibly think of ways to implement them.

RULES
  • Respect other people’s ideas. Don’t say it won’t work, it isn’t practical, it’s already been done, or that its stupid. That’s the fastest way to kill someone’s ideas and their motivation, and it’s not nice either.
  • Try to make sure your advice is helpful and constructive, providing depth and reasoning. There’s no idea that’s too weird or too out there to use, as long as its handled right. The original manuscript for Harry Potter was rejected a whopping 12 times from 12 publishing houses (who I am sure are kicking themselves right now). With that in mind, don’t trash a strange or uncanny idea, it may just be the next big thing.
  • Address the idea itself, not the person making it. With that same note, respect the person, don’t write belittling comments about them with your feedback. No one likes to see that.
  • With your feedback, try to think of suggestions that give the storyline some more dynamics. Even trying elements from other genres could help. A fantasy-based idea might benefit from a theme that could be considered horror. And so on.

With that said, lay out your ideas, and the rest of us will see what we can do with them. Even if its been a tiny idea that's been on the back of your mind but you haven't felt up to turning it into a full RP just yet, this is the perfect place to put your idea and see what others can do to make it work.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
NES2 Offline

Default Re: The Role Play Forge - RP Creation Teamwork

RP Title: Western Horizon
RP Fandom Basis: Pokemon and Western
Opening Plot and Exposition:

"The frontier. A massive and wild expanse of wild beauty and danger. Since the beginning of time it has been man's duty and his right to expand into and to tame the frontier to make it his own. The sun sets in the west for a reason, beckoning all the brave souls of the Earth to follow it and to accept the challenge. Those who brave the wilderness and conquer the frontier will be rewarded with riches unimaginable, but the faint of heart and mind will be met with nothing but strife, disease, and death. Wild beasts known as Pokemon roam these lands, both a benefit and a hazard. You must eat or be eaten, and human dominance must be established over nature. Those who are brave will learn to use them, to control them. Those who do not will be ripped to pieces. You must fear other people as well. Rogues, bandits, and thieves will rob anything from those unprepared to defend their goods, and the natives don't take kindly to intruders on what they perceive to be their property. These are the threats to expansion, and it man's duty to bring order to this orderless land.

The call varies for many. Some yearn for a simple life working the land, using the vast expanse for herding and farming. Some yearn for riches, attracted by the rumors of gold and silver found here. Some want to establish towns and cities, to slowly turn this section of the world into a civilized place. And some come for the golden sunsets, the songs of the Kricketot in the night, and the challenge of wilderness survival.

This land will change. It is the will of the masses to make this land our own, to spread rail and road over it and to eventually cover it. The masses will follow as the fates call them West, and this land will be ours. This calling will never cease, only grow as time goes on. Therefore, we must answer the call..."

Summary: The idea of this RP is to act out a "frontier" type story in which the people of "insert generic made-up continent here" have a similar Westward expansion like that of the U.S. in the 1800's. The map will start out pretty much as a giant expanse of forests, deserts, mountains, and other natural formations. A few native tribes will be spread amongst this terrain, and few Eastern "starting point" cities for pioneers will also be on the map. The RPers will basically begin to head West for their own motives, whether it be to become the greatest stagecoach thief alive or to strike gold.

Eventually these settlers will butt heads with the natives already there as well as the wrath of Mother Nature and will have to overcome these challenges to survive.

Different classes will be available to start, each with his own benefits. Natives for example gain a stat bonus (yes, this RP will be stat based) when fighting on undeveloped terrain(no roads or rails), rogues will be able to steal supplies from others, settlers will start out with more supplies and will have the ability to start settlements in the frontier, gold-diggers will be able to mine gold where it's available for a monetary bonus, sheriffs will have better weapons, Ponyta Riders will have 2 block movement in any direction instead of just one, and Pokemon Tamers will have a fire-breathing dragon or other creature for use as transportation and weapons, and Wanderers will have no bonus whatsoever but will be able to change their class to another permanently whenever it is beneficial to do so. One can also dual-class his character (with the exception of wanderers), resulting in unique combinations. Each will also have a unique starting inventory, but all will have the same amount of starting money. Each must start from a designated Eastern City, with the exception of Natives who will start on any tile with a Tribal Settlement.

Inspiration: Really just the idea of Manifest Destiny in general. I have never seen an RP cover this kind of subject, and I thought it would be a pretty cool Hybrid if we mixed Western lore with the Pokemon World. The genre in general was really dead until Red Dead Redemption came out to bring it back into the spotlight, and I really think we can create an awesome story out of this homage to the era of cowboys.

Where you need help: I need help making a varied terrain map which we can use for the RP, which needs to be divided up into square grid sections to mark locations and to make sure someone can't jump across the continent in three posts. Suggestions for more or better class-types as well as terrain types and effects would be nice too. Finally, we need a really cool banner with some Pokemon and Red Dead Redemption stuff thrown in.

EDITS: Rancher added as new class. Ranchers will create large farms with thousands of Tauros in their herds, large plantations, and etc.

Last edited by NES2; 02-04-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Doodlebop Offline

@NES2

Would I take part in this, yes or no? – Maybe. I like the premise, but I have never tried 'stat RPing' or whatever you crazy kids call it these days.

What would I like to see added to this RP that would make me take part in it? – ...Beats me. ^^;

Things that could help: Umm.. IDK. I'm not very helpful.

But I could make a banner for you! Check out my Graphic Shop and see what ya think. [/URL]GRAPHIC ART GALLERY/SHOPPE

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links

Last edited by Doodlebop; 02-04-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

@ NES2 for Western Horizon

It’s kind of a tough call as to whether I’d take part in this one, but I can’t say I would. Never really played Red Dead Redemption (though I’ve seen it being played and I’ve heard its good), but the theme in terms of a Pokémon RP is definitely original and I commend you on that.

Honestly, I think I would drop the whole classes and board game-like map setup. From what I’ve learned in past RPs, trying to reinvent D&D can kill an RP, and make it both difficult for the game master to manage, and it becomes needlessly confusing and complicated. That, and it really doesn’t increase the fun factor either (WAR Season IX’s RP attempted to do this, and it didn’t work all that well). Let a board game be a board game, and let an RP be an RP. Instead, let the classes be “roles” that put the RPer in a unique situation, rather than try to use complex RPG mechanics that aren’t really necessary.

Meanwhile, I think you need some other entities besides unnamed bands of natives, anonymous settlers, and more of a direction in terms of storyline. Give these entities names, characteristics, and a lot more depth. Maybe these RPer characters have to deal with a group of vengeful natives nicknamed the “Blackscalps,” known for cutting the scalps off of dead, unwary travelers and then dye them black to dishonor and ridicule them. Meanwhile, their leader, Midnight Falcon, is rumored to be a savage cannibal. Then you could have a band of vile outlaws named the Desert Snakes, known for being raiders, pillagers, looters, and grave-robbers. They too, could have a leader by the name of Jack McGriff, who could be “the man whose face is known only by the dead” because he wears some kind of mask or bandana around his face, and only takes it off in front of those who have surrendered to him and his men… just before he kills them with a bullet between the eyes. The more depth you give, the more life the RP has, and the more storyline elements you tap into.

Meanwhile, the roles you have are okay, but they’re not really all that exciting. Digging for gold and settling in the new frontier is okay, but I wouldn’t make it the main core objective (could be a side background storyline that’s also going on though). Instead, shoot for a storyline where something like the local law enforcement is depending on others for their help (the RPers) as the current problem and crisis that gets the RPers up and going. As an example background storyline, the town of Mayfield, Jonestown, and Sandy Springs each lost their sheriff and that sheriff’s deputy, as well as plenty of good law-bringers, each found with their star badge in their mouth as a message to the local law enforcement. These three towns have had to reluctantly call upon mercenaries, guards for hire, and even known shadowy vigilantes for help. Let’s face it, would you rather be a charismatic Wild West desert avenger out for payback, or just some guy heading to the hills for gold?

Other fictional elements and urban legends can be thrown in the storyline as well, such as something like the Mysterious Desert Angel, believed to be a local law enforcer that refused to rest even after death. As the legend could go, there are those that have seen him during bandit shootouts, helping the good guys, but he seems to disappear just as the battle concludes. Different stories could exist for what he looks like, some believing they’ve seen a lone desert ranger dressed in white clothing, and some with even seemingly farfetched recollections of seeing wings on his back while accompanied by a mysterious Mienshao that people have claimed to see disappear into the wind.

The more personality you give the storyline, the more interesting it becomes. I kind of agree that a map would be helpful, since I don’t really see any of the existing Pokémon regions being too useful for this. However, I wouldn’t turn it into a grid, that’s not really necessary to make the RP good.

Let me know what you think, but giving the RP some more depth something along the lines of what I mentioned above would really help it. I would also make it more action-oriented, since people like RPing heroes and antagonists and getting into fighting the good fight (or the bad one!) instead of taking the not so exciting role of mayors, politicians, or money-mongers.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 AM
dualismlover Offline
Amateur Trainer

Wow, I am actually surprised and very glad that a forum such as this came on. To me, it's a miracle in helping me create an RP. This the first RP I have ever created, so I hope it meets expectations from y'all (from Texas, sorry). I used NeoPikachu's RP creator guide for help plus some things from my history class .

RP Title: Don't quite know yet. Have something like "The Final Conspiracy" on mind.

RP Fandom Basis: Heavy emphasis on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, as well as anime references. I also used a lot of information from American History particularly the 1900s as well as lots of references to real-life cities. Also, I borrowed information off of government conspiracy theories, particularly Jessie Ventura's show on TruTv.

Opening Plot/Exposition:

The whole story takes place in a small country called Sententia (latin for decision) located between Hoenn and Johto, similar to where Alto Mare is located. Like the other MD series, this place is only inhabited by Pokemon, although Sententia won its isolation through fighting as well as radio technology shielding. Technology is relativity retro, like 1950/60-ish, but some cities are more advanced, others more primitive. The main distinguishing feature of Sententia is its cities, with a total of 18 of them in all. 17 of them are held as "representative cities" of each of the 17 Pokemon types, though this only refers to the majority of the Pokemon living there (for example a fire type can still live in the rock-type city, but he'll be pretty rare). The last city is the central government, which rules over the entire country.

The cities as shown are:

Halcitta (Dragon)- Based off San Francisco
Vi Clero (Electric)- Based off Los Angeles
Platina(Water)- Based off a combination of Miami and Honolulu
Celikon (Steel)- Based off New York
Zelape (Poison)- B.O. Seattle
Jus Livas (Dark)- B.O. Las Vegas
Amonter (Normal)- B.O. Philadelphia
Galapil (Flying)- B.O. Chicago
Fialem (Fire)- B.O. Phoenix, Arizona
Mawerk (Fighting)- B.O. Detroit
Daiesta (Ghost)- B.O. New Orleans
Lupenio (Ground)- B.O. San Antonio
Helberg (Bug)- B.O. Denver
Fertilgia (Grass)- B.O. Atlanta, Georgia
Strukote (Rock)- B.O. Indianapolis
Raidivan (Psychic)- B.O. Boston
Fryzert (Ice)- B.O. Anchorage, Alaska (sorry, no Sarah Palin here )
Kon Tis (The Government)- B.O. Washington D.C.

One blatant social problem though, is rampant racism. Although there is no direct segregation or Jim Crow laws, the Pokemon types have fallen into a sort of "hierarchy" of social stereotypes and prejudices. No one knows how it came into being, or why it was set up this way, but Pokemon still follow it to this day. With Normal being in the middle of the 17 types, the ones above are treated like upper-class citizens, normally better than the others. Below Normal though, are the types treated like "blacks" or other minorities of America during the 1900s. Lower types are denied jobs and shunned out of schools due to type, while the Upper Types bask in their privileges. However, not all Uppers are bad, and all Lowers good. Normals can go to either side, as they are the most common type in the country.

Listed here are the Types in order from Highest to Lowest:

Psychic- The rich elite/aristocrats. Regarded as the "smartest" type and many of them control much of the economy. Plus with their abilities they do lots of things like reading minds or levitating objects.
Ice- Treated like Psychic wannabes, but respected due to their rarity.
Dragon- The only type up here not because of wealth but because of morality. They are "wisest" types, and many are priests, teachers, mentors.
Electric- The celebrities, spokespersons, tv anchors, Electrics rule the media. Rich and famous, they set the trends. So far their usual "blond hair, blue eyes" look is hip.
Steel- Business people, innovative and inventive, they often are the ones who come up with new inventions or technology.
Flying- Respected for their flying ability. Many are postmen, carriers, messengers.
Water- Happy-go-lucky, fun-loving, Water-types are genuinely loved by most of the country. They make up most of the tourists.
Fire- Somewhat feared due to their powers, but respected due to their passion and creativity. Many artists are Fire-types with "burning passion", but also have short fuzes.
Normal- The average joes. They can be whatever they wish as they are neither high nor low.
Rock- The "westerners" of the country. They are backward compared to their cousin Steel types, and thus regarded as not very intelligent.
Grass- Regarded as farmers and hippies, Grass-types are regarded as even dumber than Rock types, who can only farm although they supply most of the food to the country.
Ground- Treated like the Indians of America. They have exotic customs, but are never really treated properly.
Dark- The gamblers/conmen of the country. The "bad boys" of the types, they are considered charming, suave, but at the same time out to get your money.
Ghost- Treated like weird people, like those of a Freak Show.
Bug- Similar to Ghosts, except regarded like aliens more than freaks.
Fighting- The Ghetto of the nation. Rude, uncultured, violent, with no morals, they are claimed only to exist just to fill the prisons.
Poison- Similar to the Untouchables of the Hindu Caste System, Pokemon go out of their way to avoid them, or make sure they get the worst jobs possible.

Rescue Teams are a key figure in the fabric of Sententia. Called upon like the militia, rescue teams are essentially the military of the nation, one to each major city. They serve their Guildmaster, who is given the same level of respect as a city mayor, and live in separate areas of the city not accessible to normal citizens. Calls for help and mission posters are given to the assigned building of the guild, and teams complete them as they arrive. As they complete missions, their rank rises and so does their level of respect in the country. For many Lower types, this is seen as their only hope to get some recognition in society, and for Upper types, it is a method to get famous.

As for the actual plot itself, I have managed to create a plot similar to usual RPGs. The story unfolds as the Guildmasters of the cities hold an emergency meeting in the Union Commercial building, the tallest skyscraper in the most advanced city in the country: Celikon. They were intending to talk about an incident of nearly getting spotted by humans coming from Hoenn to Johto. A few moments later, a human Boeing 747 crashes into the tower, completely demolishing it to the ground and throwing the entire population of Sententia into a state of panic and chaos. The bodies of the Guildmasters are never found, and Psychic officials state that overwhelming interference of the panicked people prevented them from finding the mental trail of the Guildmasters. The Government in Kon Tis quickly makes a statement that the country is under attack by humans, citing the weakness of their current president in allowing such a thing to happen. "This is what you get with democracy!" they claim, "Weakness and cowards! Only a strong government can keep us all safe!"

The real truth though is that the federal government, made up of representatives of the 17 cities, has several members who are actually corrupt. In a conspiracy, the corrupt members actually did it themselves. The officilas took advantage of a secret society of overly outspoken Lower Types, who were trying through demonstrations to win racial equality in the city. They then brainwashed them through false conspiracy theories into thinking that the Guildmasters were actually responsible for keeping the constant racial tension going on, and the government was actually trying to help. They blamed it on the forced "representative type" of each city, citing the "unusual coincidence" that the Guildmasters were each the same type as the city claimed to represent and never elected one of a different type (although in truth, this is mostly due to the fact that each representative element accurately describes the majority of the city's population). The corrupt officials went so far as to claim that violence was the only way to earn their freedom, by eliminating the Guildmasters themselves and reestablishing racial equality with the "representative element" tradition out of the way.

"If you can get rid of Guildmasters," the corrupt officials stated, "Then we assure you, the government will do all in its power to make sure all Pokemon will become equal, just as the Constitution has stated."

Now violent radicals, the Lower Type secret society hijacked human plane from the Johto Territory through a secret mission and set it off themselves with hope that the government would free all Lower types from their shackles of prejudice. The plan worked as intended and in the wake of terrified citizens, the government "humbly asked" the public for complete government control of the country in order to "fend off" the attackers. In reality, this is only a dark attempt to take advantage of the fear and paranoia of the citizens of Sententia.

And as for the good intentioned Lower Type radicals, the corrupt officials gave tapes of the meetings the secret society had to the good officials who were off Upper type, showing the "true cause" as to why the Guildmasters vanished. Unknowing that they were being used, the good officials exposed all the tapes to the public, enraging the citizens of the "treacherous n****r" Lower types and only furthering racial tension in the country. Electric-type reporters paraded around Lower Type cities, talking about the "Human sympathizers" and "traitors to their own country". And in public hysteria, the short-fuzed Fire-types of Fialem, and the powerful Psychic-types of Radivan created a blockade to the entire city of Zelape, the Poison-type city, since most of the radicals were Poison-types. The city now is starving with no more trade and imports of food or supplies. The moral Dragon-types in Halcitta opposed this, but no one listened to them.

But the corrupt officials struck once again. Seeing the opportunity of racial violence as a window to help seize power, the corrupt members manufactured a series of wild, false tapes that portrayed that the good officials were actually in fact, traitors themselves as well. The tapes showed the good officials, along with many Upper Types holding a meeting to actually brainwash the secret Lower Type society themselves that led up to the bombing of the Union Commercial Center, under the intent of making the public hate Lower-types even further. The false tapes claimed that the Upper types did it to "help preserve the pure races." The corrupt officials then showed this to the public, creating even more confusion amongst the people. Now the citizens don't know what to do, and who was right and who was wrong. Uppers and Lowers were against each other with more hatred than all previous generations combined.

But this was where the true plan of the corrupt officials of Kon Tis kicked into high gear. They made a statement saying that the Uppers and Lowers together had initiated the massive terrorist attack on the Guildmaster in order to leave the guilds leaderless, and brainwash the rescue teams in order to create military rule of the country. In the paranoia stricken cities of Sententia, the corrupt members began slowly take more and more control of the government. They went under the guise as being noble and righteous, and began to accuse any opponents to their regime of being traitors to get rid of them. Many mayors have been thrown into jail under "crimes against Sententia", as well as innocent civilians.

At the same time, the corrupt members have hired agents to go search for a hidden artifact said to give immense power to its owner, in essence a god-gem. With that in hand, the corrupt members could easily wrest power of the country and rule the land as they wish. even if the citizens found out of the corruption and foiled their plan A. The agents themselves don't know that they are working for corrupt governmental officials, only the fact that they seem to be doing the country a favor by helping the "noble officials" to find the artifact to help eliminate the traitors.

This artifact was lost many years ago, and is known only by its name in the stories, the "Manhattan", pronounced, "Man-hadn't". This artifact in reality is the very same device used by ancestors of Sententia to help gain freedom for their own country. A central orb made of enchanted crystal, surrounded by a disc of half-silver and half-gold, the artifact is decorated with 17 ancient symbols meant to symbolize the 17 Pokemon types. The crystal in the center is a carved replica of the Pokemon world, meant to symbolize a "World for all", but nowadays interpreted as "World domination". The exact function of "Manhattan" was to free Sententia from control of its colonizer country: Orre. With the ability to give one access to the moves of the Legendaries, with power tenfold, a Pokemon was said to have used it to call on the move Judgement of Arceus. It's sheer power later completely decimated Orre in a "mushroom cloud" and left it as the wasteland it is today. Fearing misuse of such a device, its creators attempted to destroy it, but later on decided to merely break it apart and hide the pieces, should Humans try and attack Sententia again. The artifact is currently hidden in four parts. One is the crystal orb, two are the broken halves of the surrounding disc, and the last part is actually the instruction manual to the "Manhattan" project. "Manhattan"'s creators hid the parts well, but left cryptic messages and clues in many famous artifacts (a la National Treasure style) so they could be found again in case in time of need once more.

The truly good members of the government though, have become aware of this plan with their own spy, and decide to secretly contact the now leaderless guilds for assistance with their plans. Since they know they cannot outright attack the corrupt members under fear for their own life, they decide to ask the Rescue team members to try find the artifact before the corrupt officials' agents do, or to try and expose the corrupt members to the public.

The player is given the choice to be either a corrupt official's agent or as a Rescue Team. Rescue Teams are tasked with the mission to either search for the artifact, or try and expose one of the corrupt officials to the public. Agents only have to search for the artifact, but at the same time avoid getting attacked by Rescue Teams who know the truth.

The adventure comes from the fact that the artifact is broken in to four pieces, and while each side knows what city they are located in, the exact location is unknown. Also, members of both sides will have to deal with the racial prejudice of the Sententia society. Even Upper Types will be disrespected in a Lower Type city. The species rank will also be used by the Corrupt official to try and accuse the Rescue Team if they try and expose them.

Inspiration: I mostly created this out of a desire to make a highly detailed and cultural society, with a large plot that could be influenced by more realistic social events rather than just "good guy vs. bad guy". Racism, corruption, conspiracy, double-crossing, the whole lot is in there. Also, I wanted to make an RP that would influence a players decisions on more than just being a good or bad guy. Type alone makes things far more complicated.

Where I need help: My friends have read this at school, and told me this is more of a plot of a novel, rather than an RP. They say it's too structured and like they have little room to "breathe" or be creative. I claimed not, saying that I just put a lot of detail in it, but now I am not too sure. My main problem seems to be making the RP, more playable. I planned out everything down from the cities, to the racism, to the plot, even going as far as to give the types social rankings and stereotypes. I wanted to create random announcements, said by city officials about the upcoming "Meeting", mentioned above, to act as sort of a deadline or an opportunity, with a city official meeting coming up on a certain date that would have the citizens try and give power over to government.

In all honesty, I don't know. I tried to make the plot detailed with a second story line option, plus the option of good and bad, but I think I did it in the wrong way. Suggestions and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your help and comments, I really want to make this RP good.

Edit: Thanks to NeoPikachu, I have managed to alter the plot to make it more detailed and successfully flesh out the player's controls as well as the fabled artifact of legend. Many thanks to him!

Last edited by dualismlover; 02-04-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

@ dualismlover, The Final Conspiracy

Definitely a good start, but I’d be undecided as to whether I’d take part in it myself. I think it could use some cleaning up, flesh things out a bit more, and that kind of thing.

First off, the racism aspect is unique, original, and interesting. Truthfully, I would keep that and I honestly don’t think it really needs that much adjustment since you can play a lot off of that. However, everything else after that gets a little sketchy.

To me, using Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma, and so on is taboo when it comes to RP originality. They’re cookie-cutter villains, they’re not bright, and they have a glorious history of one epic failure after another. Whether it’s the anime or the games, they’re always the losers to the good guys, their plans never work out, they never have the good guys at their mercy for long, and they’re terribly unorganized, reckless, and haphazard. You’re better off basing your crew of villains from evildoers that seem to never lose as opposed to always lose. That, and it would be better to make them an original faction.

The other aspects that need to be a bit more detailed are the motives. Why exactly would Team Rocket be interested in Sententia? What do they have to gain by overthrowing a developed community of Pokémon? To me, it almost sounds better to toss away Team Rocket completely. Let the whole plot be based on internal corruption on behalf of the Pokémon government itself. The corrupt officials could fake a disaster to remove the Guildmasters and deceive the general public. What they do with the Guildmasters could be up to you. They could stage a series of assassination uprisings and blame it on the guile dark types or the scorned poison types, even going as far as framing particular individuals that have shady histories and lack of alibis. Or, they frame the Guildmasters for being collectively involved with a heinous crime, are blackmailed by the corrupt government to admit and testify to it or their families will be endangered, and are imprisoned or publically executed as the government takes command. In either scenario, the corrupt government can use the public outcry and hysteria to distract the public from their true objective of seizing control of the artifact. However, even with the public mislead and deceived, there are informants that are risking death to let others know the truth, but not everyone believes them. Meanwhile, the racial tensions make it difficult to determine who is trustworthy and who isn’t. End result is the RPers could be a part of the government conspiracy and gaining control over the Pokémon of Sententia “for their own good,” or they could be on the side of trying to uncover the truth regarding the lies and the deception, and figuring out what really happened to the Guildmasters, whether they’re really dead, imprisoned, or maybe even brainwashed. Case in point, you don’t need Team Rocket in this, especially considering it seems you want to keep this as a Pokémon-only kind of RP without human involvement. You could even set it so that Sententia is its own world like the PMD games where the Pokémon have much more technology than the settings of PMD Blue/Red Rescue Team and PMD Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. All up to you, but I think this would be the better layout.

In terms of the artifact… you really need to answer what this thing actually is, what exactly it does, and how it came to be with an interesting and original history behind it. You could also answer why it was broken into four pieces, and a good answer to that is because the artifact is so powerful that those who created it regretting every creating such an overwhelmingly powerful device, and when they tried to destroy it, they were only able to break it into four pieces at most, and decided to scatter it across the world in hopes that no one would try to reassemble it.

One hypothetical example of something you could use is a gold medallion with runes, sigils, and inscriptions called the Infinity Disc, which has a central orb that looks exactly like a miniature glass replica of the world itself. Essentially, whoever completes the disc and has control over it can essentially become Mother Nature and Father Time. Something like that could have been created by an ancient group of mystics to dissolve natural disasters, but instead was used to cause them and used to overpower anyone who didn’t follow the ones who had command of the Disc, hence why it was broken in pieces and scattered across the world.

In all, it’s a pretty decent RP idea, a map might help it, or you could use one of the original PMD maps, put city locations on it, and say the RP happens in the future than from the era of the games. Up to you, but I think these would be good ideas to keep in mind.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 AM
dualismlover Offline
Amateur Trainer

Oh, yeah, but one more question guys...I was wondering. How do you create online banners or maps or all those original artworks that are used in RPs? Do you use Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop pro? I don't know how to create those sorts of things even though I would very much like to. Making banners and maps looks very cool!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Doodlebop Offline

There are loads of different ways to make banners, but I personally use Gimp. It's a good Photoshop knockoff, and the best part is it's free. :) Photoshop has more nifty tools... But Gimp is free.

On making maps, try checking out that guide to RPing Neo did. I think it has a thing on making maps in there. :)

Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
My Links
Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 PM
dualismlover Offline
Amateur Trainer

Oh, okay then! Gimp...hmmm. Free=awesome. Thank's so much for your help Doodlebop, I'm gonna go download that right away!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Doodlebop Offline

You're welcome. I'd reccommend starting out with some tutorials, maybe looking at the instructions on what everything does on the official site. Also, downloading some brushes might be a good idea. Official site. You download it here, and there are some tutorials around her somewhere... This is pretty helpful too.

Okay, rambling. I will shut up now.

My Links
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

RP Title: I don't know this as of right now, but I will come up with one later.
Fandom Basics: I was thinking of Pokemon with a hint of Mytholagy, such as dragons, elves, and brownies (Little elf/fairy creatures dressed in brown, I guess). I might be able to fit in a bit of other things.
Opening plotline:
The land of Solensia, quite wide and open, was made within an anti-verse without Pokémon (*Dramatic gasp*) once Cyrus created a new world. Solensia was a land filled with unknown creatures such as dragons, elves, and fairies. No one knew the secret as to why it didn't have Pokémon, but everyone knew one thing: People whom went there almost never came back due to two powerful beings. The Vampires and Shadows. The Vampires, being fanged demons, were those to kill the humans. The Shadows, however, were normal ghosts whom did not go through humans at all times. They would capture humans and take them as slaves.

Back in the normal world, things started going haywire. Dragons started popping up in the linked regions, Kanto and Johto, fairies started to flutter in Floroma town, and Dust Elves started to flow into Hoenn, making people go in the wrong directions. People all over were being driven nuts, and some moved to Unova, not knowing that The Shadows had been sent there. There are few people left in the other four regions, but many fled to Kanto and Johto, hearing that many dragons had left to the other regions.

People from the land of Solensia are now fleeing to Johto and Kanto, causing an anti-flow in time. Time has stopped, and people are stuck on one simple day, Friday the 13, right in the middle of December. Snowstorms were hitting like air blows every day.
~~~
You must now try and find out what is causing this, and stop it.
(Yeah, I need to make this longer...)
Insparation: Well, I was drawing dragons a few minutes ago and watching SpongeBob SquarePants at the same time, and once I got to what, the 40th page I thought, Imma make a new RP, with both Pokemon and Dragon etc. in it. This is going to be. A fricking. Epic. Win. So yeah, it basically came out of my tracing/drawing out of a dragon, and my own ideas.
What I need help with: I really think I need help with the plotline, and I would need a banner to make it 'stick out' a bit. I'm not really fond with everyone, I have asked for banners before and never gotten them at times. Also I need ideas for titles, and fandom ideas that would be possible to add, not like Bakughan or Yu-Gi-Oh, it would basically be time-waisting trying to fit those in, plus I don't even watch them, nor like them.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Guys, do NOT be afraid to ask more questions and request follow-up advice, that’s what this thread’s here for!

@ Tokyokit, Pokémon + Fantasy-based thing

The idea of mixing Pokémon with fantasy elements is a pretty good one, I’ve actually done it before but it can work nicely.

The plot… well, it seems a little chaotic, and the opening storyline seems a little unfinished. I think some of the questions you need to ask are who is fighting who, who is allying with who, and what are the motives of everyone involved. Not to mention, I would make it clear exactly what kinds of fantasy races and creatures are involved, not just assume every fantasy creature and race exist in this RP. Pick the ones that you think would be good, find a way to fit them into the scheme of the RP, and make sure they all have roles, motives, goals, and depth.

You’ve somewhat done this with the Vampires and the Shadows, but they need that depth factor that gives them clearly defined motives. What do the vampires have to gain by killing the humans, and what do the Shadows gain by making them their slaves? Are they trying to establish a permanent presence in the world of Pokémon? You might also want to answer who their leaders are, if they have some kind of ranking system, and give a brief highlight of what their plans seem to be, whether they consist of possibly setting up dark castles around the world and make a permanent stronghold, attempt to bring on some kind of eternal night to grant them additional power, or some other deeper motive than just wrecking the human race.

As for the dragons, the dust elves, and the fairies, they need more depth and more purpose to be in the RP’s storyline. That is, unless you’re just using them as a small handful examples of what could possibly be a large number of different fantasy creatures and races that have crossed over into the world of Pokémon. Even so, I would still highlight the most important ones, and which ones are having the most direct and most significant impact on the situation at hand. If it’s the dragons, give them more depth by going into their motives, their goals, what kinds of dragons are involved, and what their traits, powers, organization, personalities, histories, and cultures are like. You might also want to answer how they view the other significant races/creatures involved. For example, are the dragons allied with the Shadows and Vampires, are they neutral, or are they against them? Or is it a mix, where certain types of dragons are allied with them while others are against them (Its more interesting when opposing types of dragons fight each other, to be honest)?

Lastly, the time freeze and how these fantasy creatures and races crossed over. I understand you want to make the answer to that unknown so that the RPers have to investigate that and find out for themselves, but it would help if you gave them at least a few suspicions regarding how it happened, just so they have somewhere to begin and some kind of lead to follow, even if its meant to be wrong. For example, you could have a suspicion exist that it was some kind of magical portal that carried them to the world of Pokémon when really it might have been an artifact, or a spell of teleportation that was used once the first of these races had discovered this ripe new world to take over. As for the time freeze, that too could have different assumptions made for how it happened, such as an hourglass-like artifact being used to freeze time, or a particular named sorcerer being the reason for it, having his own motives for freezing time (possibly to stop the aging process, to keep things locked in eternal winter for leverage over living creatures, or something to that extent).

And finally, you need to get into how the RPers are going to be involved, what kinds of characters they’re going to create (will they be humans, or could they be these fantasy races also? And if so, which ones?), and what kind of impact they’ll be making on this RP. I would also try to find some kind of way to ensure Pokémon are also involved and aren’t just completely shut out. Maybe these races have taken an interest in them, are after their power, or may even be trying to recruit them for some other higher intention.

I say work on it some more, and maybe come back to me.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

I love this thread <3

RP Title: The Zone...it's a work in progress.
RP Fandom Basis: Pokemon with a splash of survival, drama, suspense...not quite apocalyptic
Opening Plot and Exposition:
What I got so far is that the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia have been damaged. The legendaries go into a state of hibernation in order to repair their souls. In the meantime, the real world has become disorientated, and the dimension is slowly becoming warped. Time is accelerated in some points, in others it is slowed, some places, it's stopped. Humans and Pokemon. To make sure that the world would return to it's normal state without damage, humans and Pokemon were put into a state of slumber by Darkrai and Cresselia, leaving these Pokemon and humans in Dead Zones of Time [times zones where time has stopped]. However, some humans believe that Arceus left them to die, along with a few other Pokemon in a heretic style outrage. Most hid away from the mass movements of humans and Pokemon until the majority of the world was at rest. They learned to read the boundaries of the distortions of the force they called 'Dimensian'. The humans that weren't taken by the Legendary's into a slumber were either taken in by the heretic group and preached about the world being left to destroy itself. Some hid from the massive group and were never found by the legendary Pokemon. Some hid for the purpose of giving those who couldn't defend themselves a reason to keep trying.

Some things that have happened is that evolution in Pokemon has entirely stopped. The large zones of time distortion are more noticeable if they are next to one that is more extreme to the time change than the other: eg: A stopped time zone is easily noticed from a normal moving one. Because of the space distortion, people and Pokemon's body's will not age in different time zones, but their life time will accelerate or slow.

The Safari Zone's would be used as unchanged areas that the humans who are still awake in remain in, community wise.
Inspiration: Boredom...and I wanted something scary...mostly boredom.
Where you need help:
Really just making this all work out. This is honestly two completely separate ideas put together. It's rough and needs some smoothing out in my opinion, so that's why I am here. Like how the souls would of been damaged. I'm thinking that could play into an unseen force that could give humans that are awake some special ability but yeah. It still needs some work.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 PM
NES2 Offline

Ok, so I need some more lore/detail in the mix, and I will drop the RPG elements. Still though, I need a way of keeping people from travelling ALL THE WAY across the map in three posts. I was thinking mandatory stop landmarks/rest points would be good for travelers since A. It limits how far you can go within a day, and B. RPers could meet up at these spots and interact instead of having an entire RP be a "walking through the desert alone" thing.

Also, since the classes will now be roles, I need advice on which ones can stay and which ones can go. Gold-digger is the only one I'll protect since their important to the storyline, but everyone else is up for review, add, drop, combination, etc. If someone would give me advice on that, I would be happy.

Also, I do need a map. I hope a certain person named after a yellow mouse Pokemon combined with the Matrix dude would like to help me with that.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

@ ID Saraibre Ryu, The Zone

It definitely sounds like you’ve got something interesting started here. I’ll see if I can help.

First, with the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia having been damaged, it might be helpful to explain exactly how it happened, which is an interesting element of the RP that could definitely be used later to create some kind of antagonist force or entity. You might also want to ask if more souls might be damaged from this force in the future, how it’s being done, where it’s happening, and who is doing it. Again, its okay if you don’t want to spoil all of these details and leave it up to the discretion of the RPers themselves, but it would be helpful to give them some investigative leads. Not to mention, their characters shouldn’t be too aware of this OOC knowledge, but it could be something that the RPers are aware of as they allow their characters to uncover the potential mystery piece by piece.

The dimension becoming warped as a result of their hibernation is a pretty good crisis element, and the idea of Darkrai and Cresselia putting everyone in a state of slumber while this remedial process is underway is a pretty interesting idea. It seems realistic and would probably be something the legends of Pokémon would try to do. The fact that they didn’t get everyone and it causes a heretical uprising is a cool plot element. I would try to give the heretic faction some kind of name, since they’re definitely important to the storyline. But there’s some other questions to answer.

With this crisis at hand, what is going to be the heretic faction’s main goals, now that they believe Acreus and the others have pretty much left them for dead in a chaotic and warped reality? How are they currently organized, and what are they doing to survive? It could be that they’re trying to find a way to fix the problem without Arceus’s help, or they’re trying to fight the antagonist faction that caused this in the first place. You could even have it where if they manage to defeat the antagonist faction that caused the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia to be damaged in the first place, the “dark wounds” that were inflicted would become healed, and the four of them could perhaps return to establish order once again.

Your hypothetical situation could be something like this. Don’t mind the names, I just like giving things names. You definitely don’t need to stick with them if you don’t want to.

It could be that the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia were damaged by a faction called Black Vertigo. As an example, Black Vertigo could actually be a faction from the future, consisting of technologically enhanced humans, Pokémon, droids, and cyborgs with powerful armor, weapons, and technology. As a motive, we could also say that they came back to the current time period to alter the course of time for dark political reasons, to ensure their empire would never have to even fight their sworn enemy from the future (we’ll call them the Scarlet Lance, but they’re not that important for this storyline’s purpose, its just to establish motive and goals). In their attempt to do this, Black Vertigo used a dark technology called a Soul Spike, used to damage (but not destroy) the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia, knowing they’d have to go into hibernation as a result, giving them freedom to use their own technology to essentially hijack the course of time and alter it how they saw fit. Only once they were done would they allow these four legends to return, once they had ensured the Scarlet Lance would never come to exist due to erasing the enemy faction’s “origin points” of the past.

But, since everything is in chaos, we could say their plan didn’t work, and time and space is becoming scrambled because of it. However, even though Black Vertigo’s mission had met failure, they’re still trying to remedy the situation, but they need more time. At the same time, you have the Heretic Faction, who we’ll call the “Gray Brotherhood,” initially believing Arceus was responsible for the dimension scrambling. Along the way, you have the potential for a war to rage between Black Vertigo and the Gray Brotherhood as both of them stand to obstruct the goals of the other.

Since Black Vertigo has technology, cybernetics, and futuristic weaponry and armor that the Gray Brotherhood wouldn’t have, it might be a good idea to give the Gray Brotherhood some kind of special power they managed to obtain from some source, just to keep both sides having some kind of balance. Otherwise, the Gray Brotherhood would probably be toast against a faction of the future, especially since the Gray Brotherhood would have limited resources, while the Black Vertigo could probably call in reinforcements from the future. This is where you get to play around with some imagination, and let the Gray Brotherhood have some unique abilities.

As for these powers, you could say they might have gained them due to the nature of the distortions, and that special and beneficial changes happened to them because of it.

So in the end, you have this situation:

Black Vertigo
  • Attempt to complete the mission by destroying the Scarlet Lance’s “origin points.” That could include finding their future leader as a child, and assassinating him. Taking out the future commanders (we’ll go with two) could also be an objective to make sure no one continues the leader’s work in the future. It may also be possible that this leader and his/her commanders may be among those in slumber.
  • Keep the Gray Brotherhood away from their activities, and destroy them entirely if it becomes necessary.

Gray Brotherhood
  • In the beginning, they won’t know about Black Vertigo, but it should become apparent soon enough. Once they do, they need to figure out how they wounded the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia, and how a remedy could be applied.
  • Find a way to get rid of Black Vertigo and make sure its impossible for them to ever come back while trying to avoid the time and space distortions.

In closing, this is just ONE example of how you can take that plot’s basis and turn it into a working RP. With this, you could have RPers make characters for either the Gray Brotherhood and fight Black Vertigo as an entity of powerful NPCs, or even both, where you’ll have Black Vertigo RPers against Gray Brotherhood RPers, fighting in a realm where there are dangerous zones of time and space distortion that now make up the ravaged battlefield.

Or, you could even scrap this whole idea and go with a spiritual disaster instead, where the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia were wounded because a massive, spiritually cataclysmic event is on the verge of unfolding, and the souls of Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia are simply just the beginning of what may turn into a massive, soul-crushing disaster, turning it into a race against time to find out how it is all happening, and what the Heretic faction has to do to stop it before everyone’s spirit is crushed from the disaster. However, first they need to realize what exactly is happening, and that unlike what they thought before, Arceus hasn’t forsaken them, its something possibly even far worse than that!

Its definitely a good idea you can play around with.

----------------------------------

@ NES2

As far as the map goes, you could have it set where travel does take a while, there are no motor vehicles or airplanes, so in order to get from one side of the map to another, they have to travel from one location to the other. So if John Doe wanted to travel on Rapidash horseback from point A to point E, he’d have to go from point A to point B, and then point B to point C, and so on.

Roles, you can keep the gold-diggers, but I think a good idea would be to have a situation that escalates enough to the point where even they can get involved in the unfolding conflict. Maybe they’re being robbed by the Blackscalps and the Desert Snakes.

Other roles could include:
  • Lawmen (Protagonists)
  • Mercenaries (Either side)
  • Bandits (Desert Snakes)
  • Merchants (Should have something to gain or lose because of the conflict, just so they stay involved)
  • Bounty Hunters (Protagonists. Jack McGriff would have one hell of a price on his head).

You need roles that are going to get involved with the action and the storyline, and not have roles where the RPer could never interact with another RPer and they’d actually get through just fine. RPing a settler or a rancher may be okay for the first three posts, but it’s going to get boring if nothing changes or forces them to take decisive action away from the everyday norm of their roles and their ordinary lives. Again, it goes back to the whole “peace is boring” dilemma where if people aren’t facing dangers or thrills with their character, there’s really no reason for them to continue RPing. You don’t want an RP scenario where John is a rancher over in Town A, Sally is a Pokémon breeder in Town B, Dave is a gold-digger coming from Town C digging in the hills of Mountains A, and Nathan is a lawman in Town D, but none of these people ever interact with each other because they don’t have a reason to do so. RPs die quickly if this happens, so make sure if you’re going to have roles, make them have a purpose to the storyline you want to have, and that people will have reasons to work together and face dangers together to aim for a common goal.

From what it seems like, these roles should really just be “skills,” where Sally wants to help the local law enforcement take on the Desert Snakes, and she’s got some nice Pokémon to help with the plan because she’s a Pokémon breeder. Or Dave is a gold-digger, so he’s richer and has more equipment than the average Joe, so he’s got some more resources, tools, and weaponry to help in the fight against the Desert Snake/Blackscalps. Because Dave and Sally now share a common goal, the RPers controlling them can and will likely work together, and they’ll have a good time doing it, turning ordinary people into heroes.

As for the map, yeah, I can do that. You just need to tell me about how big you want the RP’s focus to be on (something like as big as a US state, as big as a county, or something like Red Dead Redemption’s size).