Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default NAfrica in deep turmoil.

Well, it is not really "new" news anymore. As of a little under a week ago, widespread riots in Tunisia, Egypt, and other countries in North Africa have been going through riots or small revolutions. The main theory, which is most likely the correct one, is that the revolutionary thoughts will spread throughout Africa and into the Middle East and even into Asia. Is it possible that all these countries will get the inspiration they need to start a widespread uproar? Could world peace or complete anarchy ensue if it gets to this point?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Africa in deep turmoil.

Yeah... not happening. This is likely to be, for the most part, the maximum extent of the rioting. Egypt and Tunisia have the benefits of having non-overly-oppressive governments and a relatively middle-class, educated populace. Other countries in the region are either far poorer (meaning their people don't have access to the information distribution for mass protesting), or the governments have far more control of their people and their media. If protesting does happen in new countries, I don't think much will come of it.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 02-02-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Well, it has officially spread to Jordan and Yemen, and a series of self-immolations in Arab countries, for example in Algeria and even Mauritania.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Well, it has officially spread to Jordan and Yemen, and a series of self-immolations in Arab countries, for example in Algeria and even Mauritania.
Jordan and Yemen were a while ago when the stuff in Tunisia started, so that doesn't really count. I dunno about Algeria and Mauritania though.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM

I saw some pictures of Algeria now. It seems that inspiration is spreading. I can only hope that their revolutions do not end up in yet another failing Theocracy like Iran. It seems surrounding countries are preparing for such an event, many political leaders are "firing" their advisors.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

First off, I'd like to point out that the thread title is rather misleading. This is, so far, taking place in North Africa, which aside from being on the same continent has very little in common with Sub-Saharan Africa.

Secondly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations
The main theory, which is most likely the correct one, is that the revolutionary thoughts will spread throughout Africa and into the Middle East and even into Asia.
I'd like to ask for your evidence that this is "most likely the correct" theory. No theory can possibly be correct thusfar, as it's only correct when the conditions are met. Until then, it can only be the most likely. Aside from that, I wonder why it could be said that this would possibly spread into Asia. Discounting North Korea and China, neither of which are likely to see any kind of Egypt-style rebellion any time soon (the Chinese people, from what I understand, are extremely content with the current government, and rightfully so despite the limitations of freedom considering the advancements they've made. Plus I doubt they've forgotten the lessons of Tiananmen Square. Meanwhile in North Korea you know you'll probably be shot if you look at a poster of Kim Jong the wrong way, so the odds of revolution are fairly low on that front /long paranthetical) I don't see any signs of the kind of oppressive, undemocratic regime that the people of North Africa are engaged in.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Re: NAfrica in deep turmoil.

Excuse me while I laugh extremely hard.

All one needs is simple inspiration, to see it can be done, and it could spark.

Also, the Chinese are definitely not content with their government. They have been constantly going on strike because the government denies them better wages.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:

Also, the Chinese are definitely not content with their government. They have been constantly going on strike because the government denies them better wages.
Yes, but there's an extremely large gap between striking, a form of protest involving the cessation of work in demand of specific concessions, and what's happening in Egypt, where people are demanding the resignation of the entire freaking government.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 AM

No matter how different, the hatred for the government is still there. And since the government won't raise the wages, it looks like the discontent is going to continue.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
No matter how different, the hatred for the government is still there. And since the government won't raise the wages, it looks like the discontent is going to continue.
Except the point of my statement wasn't that they didn't necessarily hate their government (they're upset about wages, to be certain, but no one in the world can claim to have a government they completely love in every way shape and form), it was that they don't hate their government enough to wage that kind of rebellion, particularly with the memory of what can happen to protestors (Tianamen Square).
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

They don't want to riot because there are just enough people who are too scared to do so. As I said, all one needs is inspiration.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:

Er, take it from someone who's actually been to China, the majority of Chinese are fine with the government. Within the space of two generations most have gone from being hungry all day and freezing half to death in the winter to having computers and automobiles. Life is great compared to the past for most Chinese. The protesters are a small minority that gets played up by Western media, the vast majority of Chinese are fiercely nationalistic. They may not necessarily be pro-government, but they are pro-China, and most wouldn't dare to stage a rebellion when things are going so well.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 02-08-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Things are going so well? Chinese cannot afford stuff that we employ them to make in China. "Whew... God... Let's just buy this car I just created for Ford... aw, I can't!"

Anyway, back on subject. Riots in Egypt have ended but have spread to Iran, Syria, Yemen, and Algeria.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Things are going so well? Chinese cannot afford stuff that we employ them to make in China. "Whew... God... Let's just buy this car I just created for Ford... aw, I can't!"
30 years ago my grandparents could barely afford to buy meat. Cars were the least of their concern. Life has improved exponentially for most people in China, and hardly anyone old enough to remember Ye Olde Days has any complaints.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 02-17-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
30 years ago my grandparents could barely afford to buy meat. Cars were the least of their concern. Life has improved exponentially for most people in China, and hardly anyone old enough to remember Ye Olde Days has any complaints.
Thirty years ago, hardly anyone in the Eastern world could afford cars.