Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: Thread Reviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Face Here View Post
Bold is my comments.

1. Use Sentences (Capitalizations & Periods).
You can use sentences and still be inappropriate.
That isn't the point of this rule. This is a sentence.
this technically
is not a sentence

2. No Inappropriate Behavior/Junk Posts (spam).
Okay, this works.
Sure it isn't too vague for you? :P
3. Respect other members and their opinions.
What's the difference of disrespecting and disagreeing?
Do you mean 'between'? If so, I don't understand what you're asking, or your point. xD You can disagree with an opinion whilst respecting it... disagreeing is having a different opinion, disrespecting is shoving somebody in the street and spitting on their shoes.
Note: Inappropriate behavior and junk posts may lead to ban. I have little patience for this kind of behavior.
Apparently, since you're usually inactive, you wouldn't see it much either way.
^ silly
4. No double posting (making multiple posts in a row). Just edit the first post with the new information. Exceptions are fan fics and art galleries.
How about triple posting?
Nitpicky, as Louise said. I think people will gather, if double posting is against the rules, that triple posting, quadruple posting and everything MORE than that is also against the rules, no?
5. No illegal material allowed (Roms, Emulators, copyrighted materials, etc.)
etc.? ETC.??? That doesn't work for some noobs.
I think they'd get the gist. Do you believe them all to be that incompetent? -_-
6. This is a Pokemon forum for all ages, make your posts reflect that.
okey dis reflects dat.
No, being respectable reflects that. That's insulting to the younger members, in my eyes. A lot of them are incredibly talented and can string several coherent sentences together, weirdly enough! As long as you don't tell a nine-year-old to '**** off you little ****', I think you're good.
7. No reviving old threads. Ask a Moderator first before posting in an old thread.
-
*points to thread*
Underlined is mine.

Anyway, imo if someone wants to revive a topic, they can very easily make a new thread for it without hassle from people being all like 'WAI U REVIVIN FREAKOUTFREAKOUT', and a new one would probably get more attention. Stuff like galleries for works, though, have always been allowed to be revived, haven't they? O:

Yeah. xD

Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

I love when you're on a forum full of nit-pickers and you start a new topic.

14 people bust on you because there's ALREADY a thread that's exactly 29 days old that you should use instead of starting a new one.

So you request your old thread closed, and post in the old thread.

The next day, when it's 30 days old, the same people wail and gnash their teeth because now it's a NECRO.

So you go back to the thread you started before -- which you had requested a lock on, but isn't yet, and reopen it and continue asking....

And that same ol' bunch of mini-mods pop in to scream that you should only have a topic in ONE THREAD.

The point is, mini-mods gonna pick at you no matter what you do.

And that's worse than the original "offence" whatever that may have been.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Send a message via AIM to Trent Reznor Send a message via MSN to Trent Reznor Send a message via Skype™ to Trent Reznor

Dear people,

I get the point of everything you're all saying. There was just a day when somebody was reviving about a dozen old threads and it got me upset enough to post this. That member was Mudkippy. When I posted this, it wasn't in disagreement to every revival of threads, it was to the types of revivals that Mudkippy committed: unnecessary and excessive. If you know what I meant, then you'd all understand why I created the thread. One last reiteration: those revivals were definitely pointless, some aren't. But either way, I was very irritated on that day on which I posted this, might I add being quite a while ago.

Thank you,
Yo Face Here

Last edited by Trent Reznor; 01-06-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
It's really not that big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The general rule of thumb is if it's more than a month old and is revived it generally gets locked. It also comes down to which mod handles the given thread. Some may just lock it while others may leave it open because it contributes to the topic. If anything it seems that it just annoys you personally and rather nitpick things because they aren't up to your own personal standards or other forums standards.

If anything keeping things simple and to the point have always worked best for our community. So everything just comes down to basic common sense as it were.
But you notice that it is just not Ashkelon's or just one person's opinion, it is just about everyone's opinion. I do not think the moderators read the comments before they lock them. I mean, if the new comment on an older thread has to do with the topic and can spur up conversation again, why bother locking it? Why make the person just REPOST the thread and start the entire cycle all over again. I understand that the reason for the rule is just in some aspect, but as all rules, are unjust in another; and not just to one person either.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

We should probably encourage the use of the Search Function more often. Either way, I personally look at the comments posted on a revived thread and if I feel it contributes, I'll leave it open.

Some other Mods do close threads with out really giving it a look over. Like I said though, it just comes down to every moderators own thoughts and opinions.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
I love when you're on a forum full of nit-pickers and you start a new topic.

14 people bust on you because there's ALREADY a thread that's exactly 29 days old that you should use instead of starting a new one.

So you request your old thread closed, and post in the old thread.

The next day, when it's 30 days old, the same people wail and gnash their teeth because now it's a NECRO.

So you go back to the thread you started before -- which you had requested a lock on, but isn't yet, and reopen it and continue asking....

And that same ol' bunch of mini-mods pop in to scream that you should only have a topic in ONE THREAD.

The point is, mini-mods gonna pick at you no matter what you do.

And that's worse than the original "offence" whatever that may have been.
This post is made of win. Read it.

Spoiler:
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

That is not all I am saying. Why lock threads that are over a month old. If someone gets interested in it again, why lock it? What if the new person that is interested brings a new opinion or topic to the table that pertains to and is relevant the original idea of the thread? I think they should go unlocked because if the newer posts are not getting any activity, and the older ones are, it just shows that there is still unfinished business in the older topics. Essentially, it is a dog-eat-dog world. If a more recent post is not getting any attention, chances are it never will. If an older, but more interesting thread is posted in, chances are it is worth talking about. Get what I am saying?

I am not trying to be troublesome, or for that matter offensive. But that is my view on the subject.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

I say revive them, pe2k could use the activity.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

There is always the subject of fanwork. If it is something like a fanfic or fanart that your adding to a topic with a new chapter or picture I would think that is a worthwhile reason to bump a very old topic. I would think filling the forums with a 2nd topic in this case is a bit wasteful if we'd rather use the very old one :\.
Of course I could be very wrong in the bumping of my own work, in which case I'm very sorry, but...If we would rather use an old topic than a new shiny one when it is full of our own work (that can only be added to by us) I don't see the trouble as much...

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art