Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Natolio Offline
New Trainer

Default Starting with all 3 starters?

I don't want to raise any hopes here, I'm not going to say there is a special way you can do this other than trading haha. I was just wondering if it is going to be worth my time getting a second DS and both Black/White versions of the game so I can have all 3 starter pokemon from near enough the beginning of the game? I know that eventually I will need to get a hold of all 3, but I'm just wondering if they are worth the effort?

Basically what I am saying is are starter pokemon actually any good? I remember Charizard used to be good. But then I haven't played since Gold/Silver, and I didn't have the internet back then, so he was probably rubbish haha.

Like I said I have just got back into the games after a LONG time of not playing, and I am finding it to be a MASSIVE information overload. There are all kinds of things that I have never heard of like:
EVs / IVs
Natures
Shiny Pokemon <- what are these? Just different coloured pokemon? How do you get them? Randomly?
Abilities
etc etc

Thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Starting with all 3 starters?

Yes, it would be worth having the starters.

- Long live Negima!

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 PM
TrollShammy80 Offline

Yes I do believe all three starters will have uses somewhere in the battling world, just depends how well you raise them :)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Skylands Offline

You could always borrow a sibling or friend's DS, though. That's what I usually do. If you are unable to, then yes go right ahead and get yourself another DS.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
White_Rabbit Offline

Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natolio View Post
I don't want to raise any hopes here, I'm not going to say there is a special way you can do this other than trading haha. I was just wondering if it is going to be worth my time getting a second DS and both Black/White versions of the game so I can have all 3 starter pokemon from near enough the beginning of the game? I know that eventually I will need to get a hold of all 3, but I'm just wondering if they are worth the effort?

Basically what I am saying is are starter pokemon actually any good? I remember Charizard used to be good. But then I haven't played since Gold/Silver, and I didn't have the internet back then, so he was probably rubbish haha.

Like I said I have just got back into the games after a LONG time of not playing, and I am finding it to be a MASSIVE information overload. There are all kinds of things that I have never heard of like:
EVs / IVs
Natures
Shiny Pokemon <- what are these? Just different coloured pokemon? How do you get them? Randomly?
Abilities
etc etc

Thanks in advance
Well for starters (no pun intended), EV's/ IV's just help with battling if your rlly into it.
Natures are the same, and they define the EV's and IV's
Shiny pokemon are just trophies and are really rare. like 1/8492 or something. give or take a hundred
Abilities are like blastoise has torrent, which means its water attacks are stronger when health is low.

The three starter pokemon, depending on which set, are useful, and possibly worth your time, but its really a personal choice. if you really want to use the original starters for black and white then go for it. Every pokemon has its strengths and weaknesses, obviously. pretty much just look around for your favorites and check their stats.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Natolio Offline
New Trainer

Ok thanks guys :) Seems like a bit of a daft question on retrospect! Oh well haha. I am thinking I will get into the battling seriously. So do you HAVE to use items such as Iron and Protein to get the best stats out of your pokemon? If so how do I go about it? Do I just give them like 10 of each item and level it then repeat?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 PM

I do not know much about EVs because when I play competitively, I just play by chance.

When playing the game, only use cash for 10 Pokeballs, Greatballs, or Ultraballs at a time. Don't waste on potions, you won't need half of them. Over time, your fortune should build up into unimaginable wealth, with which you can purchase the steroids xD

Oh, and one more post and you will have 10 posts! Congratz! xDDDDD

- Long live Negima!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natolio View Post
Ok thanks guys :) Seems like a bit of a daft question on retrospect! Oh well haha. I am thinking I will get into the battling seriously. So do you HAVE to use items such as Iron and Protein to get the best stats out of your pokemon? If so how do I go about it? Do I just give them like 10 of each item and level it then repeat?
Giving it 10 of the vitamins only gives it 100 EVs in any stat. IVs, or Individual Values, are preset at birth. EVs, or Effort Values, come from battles. Any Pokemon can have a max of 510 EVs, with 255 max in one stat. 252 is all you'd need because the last 3 aren't ever counted in. EV training is useful if you want an abnormaly strong Pokemon. i.e. I just finished breeding a Rash Blastoise with 31 IVs in Special Defence. I EV trained it's Special Attack. My original Blastoise had 197 special attack at level 100, my new Blastoise has 272 Special Attack at level 100. And because it had 31 IVs in Special Defence the Rash nature didn't have a really bad side effect.

If there's anything you need help with, Serebii has a helpful page right here that helps explain the game mechanics.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Iconoclast Offline
Amateur Trainer

Well, the starters are generally terrible when used competitively. There are rare exceptions, like Infernape for instance. I'd have to look at their moveset and stats more to give you a definite answer. So I say there's much better Pokemon out there than the starters.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM

The starter is better than you think it is when used well. I managed to destroy a guy's level 100 Dialga with my level 93 Empoleon (no items used, even health).

- Long live Negima!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Iconoclast Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
The starter is better than you think it is when used well. I managed to destroy a guy's level 100 Dialga with my level 93 Empoleon (no items used, even health).

- Long live Negima!
I'm talking about real competitive battling. Of course, there are exceptions (like Empoleon), but you never see Venusaurs or Typhlosions on competitive teams. Most people think the starters are good because that's usually what they level up the most. But there are much better choices out there.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
I'm talking about real competitive battling. Of course, there are exceptions (like Empoleon), but you never see Venusaurs or Typhlosions on competitive teams. Most people think the starters are good because that's usually what they level up the most. But there are much better choices out there.
True, but if one EV trains their starter, it can become a wrecking ball on the battlefield.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Meh, 'real' competitive battling is overrated to me. It's just so..set. There is seems to be only one 'right' way to raise each pokemon, certain pokemon/natures you should never use etc.
I'd much rather have the more random fun of pokemon raised the everyday in game way, where many pokemon have a chance of winning in the most unusual ways with sometimes odd movesets...

I'd say get all the starters if you want them, train them as you like, and don't feel as if you *have* to battle a certain way :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Because what I was doing was not true competitive battling.

And wrong again. You would find that Typhlosion is almost unbeatable when used right.

- Long live Negima!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Iconoclast Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
Meh, 'real' competitive battling is overrated to me. It's just so..set. There is seems to be only one 'right' way to raise each pokemon, certain pokemon/natures you should never use etc.
I'd much rather have the more random fun of pokemon raised the everyday in game way, where many pokemon have a chance of winning in the most unusual ways with sometimes odd movesets...

I'd say get all the starters if you want them, train them as you like, and don't feel as if you *have* to battle a certain way :)
No, you're looking at it the wrong way. Competitive Pokemon is no different than other competitive games. For instance, think of each character in Street Fighter as a Pokemon. They all have different styles, but you have to know your matchups against an opponent. You also have to know what moves to use in which situations. Same thing with Pokemon. What movesets, abilities, and items you use changes with each generation, since there's one hundred more of the critters to analyze and fight. And some Pokemon are just suited for certain roles. You don't see Blissey, one of the best special walls in the game, going offensive like a sweeper, do you?

"Random fun" doesn't win battles in the end. It's about strategy and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Because what I was doing was not true competitive battling.

And wrong again. You would find that Typhlosion is almost unbeatable when used right.

- Long live Negima!
There are no unbeatable Pokemon. EVERY Pokemon has their weakness. Typhlosion simply doesn't have anything extraordinary going for him to qualify as a top player on an OU team. That's the thing with Pokemon, too- they have different metagames for their tiers. If other games did that, the world would be a better place.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 03-04-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Closed Thread