Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
CHAMPION Destric Offline
New Trainer

Default Hey, all. How does this team sound, metagaming-wise

Note that most of these fellers are not level 100 yet.

Gengar - Level 74
HP: 192
ATK: 127
DEF: 111
SP. ATK: 218
SP. DEF: 141
SPD: 228
As far as EVs go, I'd say his only problem is his defencive stats. However, his moveset(see below) can countermeasure that, by making the foe sleep, poisoning the foe, and sapping their HP. High speed EVs increases the chance of striking first, making it a good competitive battler, if you don't get a bad start with hypnosis
MOVESET
-Toxic
-Shadow Ball
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater

JOBS FILLED:
Annoyer
Status Changer
Special sweeper

__________________________________________________ ____

Celebi - Level 100
HP: 344
ATK: 205
DEF: 240
SP. ATK: 275
SP. DEF: 236
SPD: 244
Now, EVs and IVs combined, as well as a pure evil moveset make this the most insaine to battle in my group. I want to find that berry that reduces ATK, in BW. If anyone knows where to get some, please tell me. But, anyways, This thing's wonderous stats make it able to fill lots of jobs. It's at a point where super-effective moves act as regular moves, and regular moves act as not-very-effective moves, and finally, not very effective moves do almost nothing. On top of all of that, it can heal itself.
MOVESET
-Leaf Storm(Finding replacement TM
-Energy Ball
-Recover
-Psychic

JOBS FILLED:
Cleric
Special sweeper
Special Tank
Physical Tank
Annoyer #2

Giratina - Level 93(Swapped out with Hydreigon in standardbattles)
HP: 410
ATK: 291
DEF: 202
SP. ATK: 278
SP. DEF: 222
SPD: 234
You thought Celebi's EV training was evil? Look at this monster! Most of its moves are physical attacks, so not only is this thing a tank, it's also my designated physical sweeper. The Hydreigon that switches with it has similar stats, but a stand-alone moveset. They each fill the same jobs. Basically, the strategy here is use Dragon Claw and shadow force, and if they're on their last pokemon(especially if it's a dragon type), use Draco Meteor on it. I prefer to keep it in Origin Forme, for a stat increase, as well. It's a tank, so strategy doesn't matter much, unless you're up against a choice few pokemon.
MOVESET
-Shadow Force
-Dragon Claw
-Draco Meteor
-Fly

JOBS FILLED:
Special sweeper
Physical Sweeper
Protector
Physical Tank
Special Tank

Skarmory - Level 57
HP: 141
ATK: 109
DEF: 167
SP. ATK: 58
SP. DEF: 96
SPD: 80
I chose this guy because of the type; Steel-flying is quite impressive for competitive battling. His EVs still remain un-trained, however. His strategy is currently nil, because he still has a lot of character reshaping left to do.
MOVESET
-Flash Cannon
-Roost
-Fly
-X-Scissor

JOBS FILLED:
???

I thinl I'll leave the rest of my team a mystery. I can tell you, however, that they're some crazy stuff.

Last edited by CHAMPION Destric; 03-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: Hey, all. How does this team sound, metagaming-wise

A) We need EVs and natures, not stats and levels. I for one don't have a clue what EV spreads a person is using from the stats at a random level, it makes for pointless information given we rate on the basis of what the team will be when you use it, not it's current state.
B) If you intend to use this team in the standard OU metagame, don't bother including giratina if it isn't part of the team. Tell us what your Hydregion is.
C) Don't leave members of your team "a mystery" if you want to know it's weaknesses and how to remedy them, it renders any advice we give potentially useless if we suggest unnecessary changes or aren't aware of even more crippling problems.

We need those two problems remedied before a full rate can be given to fix this team's flaws. And no offence, but you're going to see a lot get listed. If this is simply an in-game team you're planning to convert into a competitive team later on, it won't work. You won't have bred for IVs or natures, trained for EVs, all of which takes way more time to undo before you can start over than it does to simply start from scratch.

Last edited by Viva la Gofre; 03-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
CHAMPION Destric Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
A) We need EVs and natures, not stats and levels. I for one don't have a clue what EV spreads a person is using from the stats at a random level, it makes for pointless information given we rate on the basis of what the team will be when you use it, not it's current state.
B) If you intend to use this team in the standard OU metagame, don't bother including giratina if it isn't part of the team. Tell us what your Hydregion is.
C) Don't leave members of your team "a mystery" if you want to know it's weaknesses and how to remedy them, it renders any advice we give potentially useless if we suggest unnecessary changes or aren't aware of even more crippling problems.

We need those two problems remedied before a full rate can be given to fix this team's flaws. And no offence, but you're going to see a lot get listed. If this is simply an in-game team you're planning to convert into a competitive team later on, it won't work. You won't have bred for IVs or natures, trained for EVs, all of which takes way more time to undo before you can start over than it does to simply start from scratch.
This isn't an in-game team I plan to convert to competitive. Most of these guys were caught in Pearl, bred in Pearl, and sent over to my game using the PokeTransfer.

Most of my EV training is done on SP DEF, and ATK stats; usually, if they use Sp. Atk, they're pretty good in it, and vice versa.

If you must know, they're not bred for any specific nature, because they already had good/excellent natures for what I was planning, except Gengar, but if he starts up well, it makes no difference.

Also, I'm too lazeh to put Hydreigon's stats in - that's actually why I left the other two out. I will say their specie though, and what they're EV trained in.

1. Shiny(red) Gyarados - EVd in Sp. Atk.
2.Lucario - EVd in Atk. and Def.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAMPION Destric View Post
This isn't an in-game team I plan to convert to competitive. Most of these guys were caught in Pearl, bred in Pearl, and sent over to my game using the PokeTransfer.

Most of my EV training is done on SP DEF, and ATK stats; usually, if they use Sp. Atk, they're pretty good in it, and vice versa.

If you must know, they're not bred for any specific nature, because they already had good/excellent natures for what I was planning, except Gengar, but if he starts up well, it makes no difference.

Also, I'm too lazeh to put Hydreigon's stats in - that's actually why I left the other two out. I will say their specie though, and what they're EV trained in.

1. Shiny(red) Gyarados - EVd in Sp. Atk.
2.Lucario - EVd in Atk. and Def.
Yeah, you're going to need to start again unfortunately. From the minimal information you've provided it sounds like literally none of your Pokemon are EV'd correctly- Gengar and lucario no use for defence EVs, Gyarados is a truly awful special attacker, you don't even know what Skarmory's EVs are, nothing on this team is trained to optimise what they're good at. Combine this with the possibility of natures that are either useless or actively hinder the Pokemon, and you have a party which are, unfortunately, doomed to fail in a competitive framework. There's a lot of problems with the movesets too, but there's really no point trying to fix them when the Pokemon are stunted in the most fundamental area, their stats.

Spend some time reading through the articles on Smogon, they provide a good introduction to anybody looking to get involved in competitive battling. From there spend some time looking through their strategy dex, even last generations one, to get some ideas on how the pokemon you want to use are best employed. From there it's a case of building a good foundation for your Pokemon to work on, in the form of EVs IVs and nature. I've written a guide on how to EV train that's stickied in the Competitive forum here, and am in the process of writing one for how to breed too. When you've armed yourself with enough knowledge, post a team you propose to build here again and people will be able to help you with it before you invest time into making it.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...d.php?t=111992
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
CHAMPION Destric Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
Yeah, you're going to need to start again unfortunately. From the minimal information you've provided it sounds like literally none of your Pokemon are EV'd correctly- Gengar and lucario no use for defence EVs, Gyarados is a truly awful special attacker, you don't even know what Skarmory's EVs are, nothing on this team is trained to optimise what they're good at. Combine this with the possibility of natures that are either useless or actively hinder the Pokemon, and you have a party which are, unfortunately, doomed to fail in a competitive framework. There's a lot of problems with the movesets too, but there's really no point trying to fix them when the Pokemon are stunted in the most fundamental area, their stats.

Spend some time reading through the articles on Smogon, they provide a good introduction to anybody looking to get involved in competitive battling. From there spend some time looking through their strategy dex, even last generations one, to get some ideas on how the pokemon you want to use are best employed. From there it's a case of building a good foundation for your Pokemon to work on, in the form of EVs IVs and nature. I've written a guide on how to EV train that's stickied in the Competitive forum here, and am in the process of writing one for how to breed too. When you've armed yourself with enough knowledge, post a team you propose to build here again and people will be able to help you with it before you invest time into making it.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...d.php?t=111992
Thank you very much for the guides; This is probably what I needed most, due to my minimal knowledge of metagaming in Pokemon.

After reading the guides, it seems my only pokemon needing replaced are Gengar and Skarmory. Those two will probably be replaced by another of the same specie with different natures. Time to break out the ol' Pearl version.

What's very unusual though is my luck with Celebi's stats and EVs. They all seem unusually high, partailly due to the whole legendaryness thing, however, even for an event legendary, they're wonderful stats. This topic, from this day forward can be ignored until I get my team actually going epically! Har har!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Badal Offline

Send a message via AIM to Badal

Quote:
Thank you very much for the guides; This is probably what I needed most, due to my minimal knowledge of metagaming in Pokemon.

After reading the guides, it seems my only pokemon needing replaced are Gengar and Skarmory. Those two will probably be replaced by another of the same specie with different natures. Time to break out the ol' Pearl version.

What's very unusual though is my luck with Celebi's stats and EVs. They all seem unusually high, partailly due to the whole legendaryness thing, however, even for an event legendary, they're wonderful stats. This topic, from this day forward can be ignored until I get my team actually going epically! Har har!
Good luck in your team. I'm going to get this thread locked. If you ever want to discuss your new and improved team when you make it, feel free to PM me, and I'll open this thread again. Or you can post a new thread.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:

Actually you're wrong, they all need replacing. Your celebi's stats look high, but you only have to compare them to its potential maximums to see how low they are. At level 100 the minimum any of its stats (Aside from HP) can be is 236 with a neutral nature, none of your stats are even 40 points higher than that. Likewise you SpAtt, the stat you're going to be relying on to do any damage, is a full 20 points lower than its maximum. It's a similar case across your entire team.

Believe me, if all you're gauging this off is their performance in the game, you can't possibly know how good they'll be when facing other human opponents. You need to start again.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Badal Offline

Send a message via AIM to Badal

I'd recommend reading and re-reading this article again and again. And also this

Last edited by Badal; 03-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Closed Thread