Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default War Declared

Officially a third war has been declared in the North African/Middle Eastern region. United Arab League and Nato have launched attacks on Libya, subduing Ghadafi's insane actions towards the protesters in Triploi and all over the country.

Strangely enough, America is taking a backseat in all of this. I think Obama was smart to do this. Now that he actually let the UN agree over something instead of just sayin', "THERE MIGHT BEYAH SOME BOMBZAH OVER THEREYAH!" he took a more docile approach on the matter.

So, Libya will be freed of Ghadafi, all things considered. Meanwhile, riots are still going on throughout North Africa.

Finally a war that America won't run!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Peace Buyer Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Peace Buyer
Default Re: War Declared

It was bound to happen sooner or later. But America sitting it out is a shocker though, but a wise move at the same time. Who knows, Obama sitting on sidelines probably prevented a 4th world war.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

It's still rather doubtful that Gadhafi will be ousted. The international coalition isn't putting any boots on the ground and so far has stated they will not act as a rebel air force and will only seek to "protect civilians". So they won't be helping rebels march on to Tripoli, and the rebels sure as hell aren't going to do that themselves in the state that they're in. The most that can be said is that the rebels won't lose now. From what I've read, what most likely will happen will be a prolonged civil war via insurgency on both sides, and possibly the end result of Libya being split in two.

Quote:
Who knows, Obama sitting on sidelines probably prevented a 4th world war.
First off, there's no one to fight a world war with. And second, when was the 3rd?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Puh-tree-cee-oh Offline

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't America launch some pre-warning missles or anything like that along with France, Canada, and England?

IGN: Patrick FC: 1849 4621 3425
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

The US can't afford to be at the helm of another war, so they're sticking to launching cruise missles with the English. Canada, France, Qatar, and another neighboring country whose name escapes me right now are providing fighter jets.

However it's not a war as far as the international stage goes, the UN forces are only there to enforce a no-fly zone and to protect civilians. The missles are destroying anti-aircraft, airfields, and a handful of other targets used by Gaddafi.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Snake View Post
The US can't afford to be at the helm of another war, so they're sticking to launching cruise missles with the English. Canada, France, Qatar, and another neighboring country whose name escapes me right now are providing fighter jets.

However it's not a war as far as the international stage goes, the UN forces are only there to enforce a no-fly zone and to protect civilians. The missles are destroying anti-aircraft, airfields, and a handful of other targets used by Gaddafi.
Americans are launching planes. In fact, we are launchng a lot of planes, which is why the US is commanding the operation. That aircraft carrier sitting in the sea next to Libya isn't just for show.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Americans are launching planes. In fact, we are launchng a lot of planes, which is why the US is commanding the operation. That aircraft carrier sitting in the sea next to Libya isn't just for show.
Seems unnessecary with the amount of support from other nations. Oh well.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
First off, there's no one to fight a world war with. And second, when was the 3rd?
I would not be so sure about that statement. Thinking about it for a second, there are plenty of powerful countries that would start a war given the right conditions.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Snake View Post
Seems unnessecary with the amount of support from other nations. Oh well.
Er, in case you don't know this, the US is the UN. The force behind the words, anyways. No one would take the UN seriously at all if the US wasn't part of it, that's why the League of Nations failed. Any UN resolution that doesn't have US backing is empty, any UN resolution to stop the US from doing anything is pointless. Other countries may contribute, but when push comes to shove, the US does all the dirty work and gets all the blame as a result. No one else has the capability or the willpower.

Quote:
I would not be so sure about that statement. Thinking about it for a second, there are plenty of powerful countries that would start a war given the right conditions.
Name one country that would fight a war with the US and actually give it a run for it's money.

Art Gallery
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Name one country that would fight a war with the US and actually give it a run for it's money.
It seems to me that the Arab states are giving them a run for their money, or they would have had them all democratic, neh?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
It seems to me that the Arab states are giving them a run for their money, or they would have had them all democratic, neh?
I would still doubt it. If they want to hit US on US's hometurf, it would still be nearly impossible. The US only needs to turtle up and no country in existence can beat it except under the situation of nuclear bombing.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I would still doubt it. If they want to hit US on US's hometurf, it would still be nearly impossible. The US only needs to turtle up and no country in existence can beat it except under the situation of nuclear bombing.
Yes, I will admit the radicals have a home-turf advantage, but that is besides the point. If small groups of insurgents can give a hard time for them, and throwing masses of troops at them (Vietnam), than I am pretty sure someone could attack and win over the U.S. It is just the only country actually willing to do something like that, would also be losing an asset and economical balance in the world... wonder which that is...
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Yes, I will admit the radicals have a home-turf advantage, but that is besides the point. If small groups of insurgents can give a hard time for them, and throwing masses of troops at them (Vietnam), than I am pretty sure someone could attack and win over the U.S. It is just the only country actually willing to do something like that, would also be losing an asset and economical balance in the world... wonder which that is...
Statements like this and others that you have made within this thread have convinced me that you know absolutely nothing about world politics or warfare.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
Statements like this and others that you have made within this thread have convinced me that you know absolutely nothing about world politics or warfare.
Hay, keep it friendly please.

China would attack America if it weren't for their heavy economic ties. All America would have to do is yank their factories out of their country, and there goes its money, currently.

If America was truly as powerful martially as people say they are, why are small groups of insurgents giving them so much trouble? I understand that it is mainly because of politics, but the military can take care of it if they are so all-mighty.

Also, the idea that Libya would tear into two nations, I doubt it. Ghadafi will be ousted or will win, either one. And considering it is Ghadafi and his army against modern naval attacks and air strikes, I do not think a win will happen. Libya will be free, or the Libyan people will die trying. (I know a Libyan exchange student).
Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Quote:
Hay, keep it friendly please.

China would attack America if it weren't for their heavy economic ties. All America would have to do is yank their factories out of their country, and there goes its money, currently.

If America was truly as powerful martially as people say they are, why are small groups of insurgents giving them so much trouble? I understand that it is mainly because of politics, but the military can take care of it if they are so all-mighty.

Also, the idea that Libya would tear into two nations, I doubt it. Ghadafi will be ousted or will win, either one. And considering it is Ghadafi and his army against modern naval attacks and air strikes, I do not think a win will happen. Libya will be free, or the Libyan people will die trying. (I know a Libyan exchange student).
Yeeeeah, Painkiller's right, you have no clue about international politics, warfare, or the state of international relations. China would not attack us not because of economic ties, but because they would lose. We would instantly call our debt to them null, use all the money we would save on deficit payment (which would be a lot) bolstering our army, pull out troops from the Middle East because defending our country is more important (sorry Afghanistan), and forcibly shove them out using one of the best military forces in the world. Then the war would be called off due to the fact that both sides know they can't get into each others borders easily and MAD would prevent the use of nuclear weapons, China would be booted off the UN Security Council for trying to start World War III, they would lose most of the economic growth they've had due to, yes, American investors pulling out as well as losing all of the money we owed them, their people would be pissed for pulling them into such a war, and overall they would gain nothing as opposed to America, who would gain a hell of a lot just by the massive reduction to our deficit.

Meanwhile, the reason we're having problems dealing with the insurgents is because unlike a legitimate war between two countries, we're fighting in a haystack, and they're the needle. It's exactly the same as in Vietnam, although in this case it's more the use of human shields and Assassin's Creed style blending in with the ordinary people rather than jungle guerrilla warfare. Same principle though, we're dealing with a fairly small, difficult to find group with an advantage over us in the environment (in Nam it was having lived in the country and therefore knowing the jungles much better, in this case it's not giving a damn about civilian casualties). Our military is excellent, but we're not in a legitimate war.