Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Skylands Offline

Default Internet Grammar

Is correct grammar on the Internet important to you? Or could you care less about it and continue on with your textspeak?

For me, I think a person's grammar reflects on how intelligent they are. I very much dislike bad Internet grammar, though I tend to let people slip by with it, because I am more tolerant than others. However, I'm all for abbreviations and whatnot on the cell phone texting, since it saves time and it costs cheaper in certain cases if the message has less characters. And if English is your second language, then misspellings and grammar mistakes are acceptable, because each language has different grammar rules.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default Re: Internet Grammar

No one said it better than Elbub:

Old 04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Lusitania Offline

There's no need to be pedantic on the internet.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Randor Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Randor Send a message via Yahoo to Randor Send a message via Skype™ to Randor

For me it depends on what you are discussing, for example, If I were to post and discuss the topic "Humor & Jokes" I would most likely use some text abbreviations depending on the majority that do, But in serious topics and topics that need to be addressed appropriately grammar is important.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Rekhyt Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
There's no need to be pedantic on the internet.
This is a pretty great point and y'all should heed it. There's a lot worse crimes someone can commit than forgetting to use capitals. So long as I can understand what's being typed, I don't have a problem.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Context, it's all context. If you're being serious, use serious grammar, other than that feel free to look less intelligent.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I honestly don't know when, how, and why typing and writing phrases out on the Internet with poor grammar and horrible spelling even got started. Speed is usually a lame argument for it, you can easily type fully clear and coherent sentences with just a fractional amount of additional effort, and it makes so much difference. To me, whenever someone types with horrible spelling and grammar, they're immediately looked down upon, never taken seriously, and most of the time, no one even bothers listening to them either.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
And if English is your second language, then misspellings and grammar mistakes are acceptable, because each language has different grammar rules.
They're acceptable but nonetheless you should try your best to use the best grammar and spelling you can because otherwise how can a person's grammar get better unless they're told what they're doing wrong?

With that said I always type with the best grammar and spelling I can, and with Spanish that means going onto Microsoft Word and typing it out to get those pesky accents and tildes in. I do it on forums, on Facebook, and Youtube (I don't text) no matter what the topic is. I want people to take me seriously and know that I'm an adult and not just some teenager surfing the internet. Also, when you always type with proper grammar and spelling it "doesn't take too long." It comes naturally.

Whenever I see a post with txt speak and no proper grammar I just gloss over it and ignore the person. I can't help it. Why should I bother with a person that is making themselves seem dumber becausue they're too lazy to type properly?

(And on Youtube I always have trouble reading Spanish txt speak because I've never seen it used. Took me a long while to realize "k" meant "que". That makes no sense! xD)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 04-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

I agree with Neo, though I don't look DOWN on somebody, I just don't take what they're saying as seriously as I would've :S I even text/IM with perfect spelling and grammar, for Pete's sake! xD

Normally when I talk like a 12-year-old, I'm doing to to prove a point, make a joke, or just for effect; I always use improper punctuation and spellingz on purpose (unless I don't actually know how to spell the word!) ^__^

In all honesty, it's just easier. I type roughly 50 WPM (kinda slow, imo) and if i tlk like dis den wen i hve 2 rite sumthin 4 skool id have 2 go bak n fix all da erorz wich wood meen dat in da end im actualy goin slower x3
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Fushigidane Offline

Send a message via AIM to Fushigidane Send a message via Skype™ to Fushigidane

It really depends for me. On forums I try to write neatly, but on Meebo I just type without caps.

Karrablast & Shelmet
Hatched at 2139
Evolves into Escavalier & Accelgor at 2279
Level 100 at 2524

Viridian Forest Forums - A Pokemon forum
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu

Well here I type with correct grammar and punctuation, unless I'm joking around. :P

But otherwise, if I'm in an IM with someone, I generally don't capitalize (I will capitalize "I" every so often though xD) anything I put down, but yeah.

In a text I still use the whole "capitalization and grammar" thing unless I'm pissed or just don't feel well.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

Taking shortcuts is only worth it if you're on an instant messenger, typing in chat on a game, or joking around.

Even still, the only "shortcuts" I ever take during IM or a game are not capitalizing, and using shortened names for longer names, even though everyone uses the shorter names all the time anyway. (Ubercharge -> uber; Your Eternal Reward -> YER; Earthquake -> eq; wth/wtf/lolwut)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Master Zorua Offline

If you're texting on a cell phone, in a chat room or using an Instant messenger, it can be excused. However, it seems less and less people care much about proper grammar and spelling. I fear it's getting to the point where you might even find text talk and internet lingo used to fill out resumes and job applications. What's scarier is if someone actually hired a person who filled out their job application like that.

Generally, the only text lingo I use is brb, bbl, rp, su, ooc, ic, ds and maybe lol. There is little wrong with it in the correct usage. However, there have been a few roleplay ideas in the sign-up area that I would have probably joined were I not turned off by the horrible grammar used to describe it. Basically, if I have an easier time deciphering ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics than I do your rp idea, I'm going to pass it by.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Doodlebop Offline

I try to use correct grammar, spelling, and the like, and usually my mistakes are accidents. Of course, there's the occasional time when I do it to be funny... But yeah, usually I try to use correct grammar and spelling.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Meshi Offline

i dnt fink u ppl r bein fer i tlk lyk dis coz i ddnt go 2 skl ur all men.

Yeah, no. I used to speak like that on the Internet when I was around ... thirteen. This was until I met Tombi and started speaking to her, then I felt like a prick because I didn't sound very intelligent, and for people on the Internet it's difficult to tell whether someone is intelligent or not, so speaking properly helps ... I think. That doesn't sound like it makes sense, but oh well, I'm tired.

peec ppl!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!1