Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Arrow [WAR X] Discussion

So it's currently April and that means it's more or less two months before the beginning of War Season 10.

Which seems like a rather large number, especially for me, since I was a War Leader for Season 1. Now I just feel old.

We should start discussing what we want to do for Season 10, any ideas people might have, what sections to include, rules, etc.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.

Last edited by HKim; 04-07-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi
Default Re: [WAR Season 10] Discussion

You don't want to call it WAR X? I've been waiting for WAR X for a while. XD

I'll be watching this year only, but I probably won't be able to participate, unless we start late May/early June.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: [WAR X] Discussion

Like I told Harry a few months earlier, I think it would be a cool idea if we go back to basics. Let anyone who wants to make a team make a team, and allow people to choose what team they want to be on with no limitations. No ceiling, no draft, none of that stuff, just join the team you want, do the best you can, and enjoy it. Teams may be uneven, but truthfully, it should be more about being on the team you want to be on, and which team appeals to you the most.

Aside from that, I can understand why some people may want to do something a little more special for War X though. I’m just not sure what, though. I tried to work with Paperfairy to create a Battleship-like game out of it, but I feel that got a little too complex for its own good.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
Like I told Harry a few months earlier, I think it would be a cool idea if we go back to basics. Let anyone who wants to make a team make a team, and allow people to choose what team they want to be on with no limitations. No ceiling, no draft, none of that stuff, just join the team you want, do the best you can, and enjoy it. Teams may be uneven, but truthfully, it should be more about being on the team you want to be on, and which team appeals to you the most.

Aside from that, I can understand why some people may want to do something a little more special for War X though. I’m just not sure what, though. I tried to work with Paperfairy to create a Battleship-like game out of it, but I feel that got a little too complex for its own good.
I can't see how that would work (Battleship, I mean)... care to explain?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I can't see how that would work (Battleship, I mean)... care to explain?
I kind of threw this idea out already, but the way I was going to do it was that each team would have a base laid out on a grid. Instead of ships, you'd have buildings. The way you attack other bases is by winning sections, and each section gives the team a different kind of weapon instead of points. Weapons would hit multiple spaces on a base in something like an "X" or "+" formation for example. As for when they're used, first come first serve as the sequence.

Whoever had the least amount of damage done to their base at the end of the War would be the winner.

The base example I showed Paperfairy was this:

Still, like I said before, I think it might get too complicated, and it's never been play-tested before either.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 AM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
This may actually bring more people, as to my thoughts, and help pt Spriting into this. I mean, not many spriters these days seem like they would be in these WAR game things whatyamacallits unless this happened. I, for one, really wanted this to be possible when I was around for (I believe) WAR 7, 8, and 9. Or was the first one 8 and the other one nine >.<

Anyway, this is a quite good idea.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyokit View Post
This may actually bring more people, as to my thoughts, and help pt Spriting into this. I mean, not many spriters these days seem like they would be in these WAR game things whatyamacallits unless this happened. I, for one, really wanted this to be possible when I was around for (I believe) WAR 7, 8, and 9. Or was the first one 8 and the other one nine >.<

Anyway, this is a quite good idea.
I'm not a big fan of the ceiling method, at least not anymore after I've seen what usually results from it. All I've seen it do is force people to join the teams they don't really want to join, or just decide not to take part at all. If I really wanted to join Team A, thought Team B was okay even though it wasn't my favorite, and really didn't want to join Team C, well, chances are good I would probably consider sitting/waiting it out if Team C was behind in members and was the only team open because Team A and B were full and hit the ceiling limit. To me, I feel that if Team C wants members, they've got to earn them by making their team appealing. If people don't want to join it, the bottom line is people don't want to join it and so the leader needs to wake up and think of something to make their team more presentable and appealing to fix the situation, not expect a welfare intake of members that really want to be in the WAR, but have to put up with being on a team they don't really care for. That's not fun at all, and all that happens is people end up leaving Team C or refuse to participate and the whole system ends up ruined anyway.

Drafting works in some ways, not so much in others. I think the novelty of the draft is the fun mystery in finding out what team is going to get who, but when its all done, it sometimes has mixed effects and that mystery novelty is seemingly short-lived. And again, you'll have people ending up on teams they just don't really care for with people they may not associate with as well as other members.

So that's why I say back to basics. If you want a strong team, earn your members, and make your team appealing to as many people as possible by finding that niche to focus on and really hitting home with it. And if you want to be a member, then you should have the right and freedom to choose the team you want to be on because you like the idea of it and you feel it will be the most fun for you. And yes, teams will be uneven, but that will be because the team that knows how to market and present itself the best, knows how to get members to use teamwork and be active, and is a team that people find appealing and fun to be a part of honestly deserves to win. And if that "Team C" can't get members because only a few people besides the leader like the idea, there's probably a good reason for it, and maybe that leader should reconsider what they've made.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

If Harry RPs, I'm down with joining any RP he's in.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Plus, the older forum members will probably try to "naturally" balance the teams out by joining teams that are different than their rivals or creating their own teams to compete in the WAR. I think one of the best memories I've had of the WAR was the fact that there were such a wide variety of factions that it made the entire setting full of intrigue.

In regards to Battleship, each point a team wins could be used to "fuel" an attack available to them or allow for "repairs". This then doesn't diminish the importance of sections and gives teams more leeway in deciding how to best use their winnings.

If we go with the idea, we should figure out how long an average game of Battleship lasts.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Personally I was thinking it be interesting to just go back to basics. It be an a 'homage' to the times of similar especially now with the forums being a bit smaller then it was a few hours back.

The battleship idea sounds like it could make things a bit fun but also I can see how it can be confusing.

Wait....I been on PE2K for 5 years?!?!?! Damn....Does that make me a vet or something? I want my social security! Where are my VA benefits? haha

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 PM
The Jr Trainer Offline

Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer

Going back down to the basics sounds like a good idea to me, though I don't believe I have ever been in a WAR without a draft or ceiling.

I feel like having draft/ceiling makes people not to want to participate, as they may not get to be on a team with their friends or the team they like the most - which Neo said.

I'm game, whatever the rules, I haven't done WAR since '09.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Well, I still want to scrap the Battleship idea, I was just posting that stuff because Lusankya was curious. It wouldn’t work if we’re going to go back to the basic mechanics again, which a lot of people seem to favor right now judging by the responses. Guess we could start by asking and answering questions. If we’re using the setup where anyone can make a team and any team can have as many members as it wants…

Can a team enter into the WAR late? – I say yes, but they still start off at zero points regardless of how far the WAR has progressed. Whether they think they can catch up or just want to have fun and don't really take their final score too seriously, hey, I don’t see a problem with that, just as long as they officially sign up like all the other teams did.

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join? – I say no, if people want to lone ranger the WAR for laughs or for a crazy challenge, I don’t really see a problem with it, but they still should have to have their own thread and officially sign up like a normal team. Who knows, someone might join the team later.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR? – I say yes… BUT the leader of the team they’re trying to join should really ask themselves if this person really found their previous team dissatisfying for legitimate reasons, or is simply just trying to join to be a freeloader and hop on the winning team’s bandwagon. Still, if team members are really dissatisfied with the way the team is being run, they should have the privilege to join a team that really wants to win and shows it’s still interested. As always, team leaders should always have the right to deny a member, especially ones that seem like freeloaders, constantly switch teams, and aren’t reliable people.

Should teams be able to merge during the War? – This I would have to say no, though if a team really doesn’t want to continue for whatever reasons, the team could be dissolved and disbanded, and the members would be free to join whatever team they like. Whatever points the team had are lost and don’t get carried over to another team regardless of what percentage of former members join which team. Also, it should be the leader that officially announces the team is gone. However, even if the leader goes inactive, people still have the ability to switch teams on their own accord.

Should judges be given points for judging? – I’m not totally decided about this, but I really think we need to decide and make it crystal clear whether they get them or not before the WAR starts. This was really quite a curveball when it was suddenly and unexpectedly decided it was so during the scoring of last year’s WAR, and it made the difference between who won and who lost.

What to do about judges that go inactive? – I’m not sure, but I know it happens at least once every year, and I personally know it’s a WAR Leader’s worst nightmare when people suddenly stop judging their section and don’t post a new theme for the next week without any forewarning (it’s like injecting poison into the WAR when inactivity chain reactions and grumbling start to happen). I definitely think some kind of safeguard needs to be put into place. Having “backup” judges that are free to judge any section if a judge hasn’t posted results and a new theme for the week seems like a good route to go (If its past Sunday and the section hasn’t been judged yet, it’s free for a backup judge’s picking, and no one can question that backup judge’s decisions if they seem legitimate). I think it would also be okay if a normal section judge could also be a “backup” judge at the same time (say I want to judge graphic art but also be a backup judge in case another section isn’t judged on time, I could do that option). As for normal judges, if you want to have the privilege to judge your own section and pick the themes without having a back up judge suddenly intervene, submit your results and a new theme on time. That’s easy and fair, right? :P

How long should the WAR be? – I think four weeks seems to be the perfect, magic number between keeping the WAR going on for a nice considerable duration, but doesn’t make it grow stale.

Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – The judge of the section. If they’re running it and judging it, they should have that opportunity and privilege. Every time I’ve seen people try to make the War RP storyline a joint effort in terms of its creation, it doesn’t work out that great. However, I think it might be a good idea for the person applying for the position of RP Judge to have to post a small, two paragraph summary of the plot they intend on using for the RP. That way, WAR leaders have a good idea of what exactly is going to be going on over there. If they really don’t like that person’s ideas for a plotline, they can decide on a different judge.

What should go into the judge application? – I always liked and thought it was a good idea for the person applying for a judge position to post some kind of plan as to how they’re going to handle the section, and what kinds of themes they’re going to use for each of the weeks the War would last. That way, WAR leaders know this person knows what they’re doing and as a grasp of how they plan on doing it, as opposed to John Doe who just wants to sign up for the novelty of it, and doesn’t really have a clue or care as to what they’re expected to do.

...boy I write a lot. XD

Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Hmm....Looks like me and Neo think a bit differently. Still I throw in my two cents.

Can a team enter into the WAR late? – No. Personally I think it be kind of annoying to have teams just popping up in the middle of the war and creating amok. Then this opens the other can of worms of people going "OH! I want to join this team! Let me quit the current team I am on and just join this one because it be funny! Heeheehee". Personally I like some sort of balance and new teams jumping into the fray right when we are hitting the final stretch seems to be a bit annoying.

Also they have almost two or so months before the start of the WAR. If they haven't started a WAR Team by the start of the WAR then that is their bad.

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join? – Yes but not too high. Maybe like three minimum. Five tops. If anything I just say three since it be easier to have start ups. I am kind of talking from personal experience where I been left by myself to man a team (mostly during the RP) and it is not too fun after awhile. Of course it be that person's stupid for not abandoning the team and joining a new one before the start of the WAR but there is always that hope that is fueling people.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR? – No but I say this only so we can avoid people trying to jump ship because their team is losing. Anybody can say that they are unhappy with the team they are on if they are in second place just so they can join a team that seems to be doing a comeback or the winning team.

Should teams be able to merge during the War? – No. Simple as that.

Teams are welcomed to disband during the middle of the WAR. Why not. They can disband on the word of the Team Leader and the people of that team can be free agents and join any team they want.

Should judges be given points for judging? – Yeah. They deserve something for judging the category that they run. It isn't much but pay is pay. Still they should only be given points if they fulfill their role as a judge for that week. If a judge doesn't provide or post the results up then they get no point.

What to do about judges that go inactive? – If a judge goes missing during midWAR or something then maybe a new one should be found to judge that category as soon as possible. If anything a temp judge can fulfill that category's judging.

How long should the WAR be? – Four to five weeks. That seems fine.

Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – Not me!

The RP Judge. If anything for the application they need to provide some sort of idea of what they have for the RP plot.

What should go into the judge application? – Possible ideas for categories, how they plan to run the section. Mostly what Neo said.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Last edited by Charizard Michelle; 04-08-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Needed to add something.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Can a team enter into the WAR late? – I see no reason why not. Happened all the time in WAR I.

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join? – Five works. Then we don't have a bunch of one-man teams.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR? – We've gone both ways before, though I only remember two major team-switches, and they really only impacted the RP, so why not?

Should teams be able to merge during the War? – Teams can merge, but points shouldn't. Whichever team has the highest number of points is the amount of points the team will have post-merge.

Should judges be given points for judging? – Yes. It keeps people judging, and they're more interested in it. Make the back-up judge from another team in order to encourage judging even more. XD

What to do about judges that go inactive? – Backup Judge becomes permanent judge. New backup judge assigned.

How long should the WAR be? – 4 weeks

Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – Neo.

What should go into the judge application? - What their experience is in their field. We don't want just a Joe Schmoe judging; we want someone who knows their stuff.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

I've heard Joe Schmoe is a genius.

Judge's points: Make it .5. Yes, it's likely that the judge is an experienced member of the section, but that doesn't mean they would surely gain a point if they did enter. This bugged the living hell out of me last year, seeing how things can skew because judging. Especially because some only put in minimal effort or are late.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."