Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Jaylea's Corner

I respect that, and while when I started I was told quite cruelly not to write because I wrote too short of chapters, now that I have been writing for 2 years now, I see why I was told to do so.

I like what you are doing so far, I just recommend longer chapters, not maxing out the limit. You do not have to work on an entire day, try to spread it out to ease up on yourself. =)
Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Jaylea Offline

Send a message via MSN to Jaylea

I've had quite a few flames about how I write so bad that they actually told me to stop, rofl. I just let the trolls have their say and ignore them. If all they have to say is mean things don't let it bother you because they shouldn't be reading your fic in the first place. They're haters who do that to make themselves feel better and if you give in to their hateful whims then you let them win. Now if they nit-pic by looking for ever small little mistake then I listen to that just because they'll spot something that I didn't.

On the days I spend the whole time writing is because I have the drive to do so. Sometimes I won't stop until I'm happy rather then I had a due date. I have no guarantee when I'll post or how long between the dates. All of my writing depends on what mood I'm in, if I had a drive to write and if I have an idea.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Exactly my point. When you start to get regular viewers however, your opinion on that will change.

As for trolls. Lol, the person who told me harshly not to post small chapters is not a troll, and is one of the more active members on here. Just because somebody puts constructive criticism bluntly does not mean they are hating.

CC: I like the story and premise a lot. The only thing that could make it better is longer chapters.

Blunt CC: I recommend making longer chapters if you want to keep regular viewers.

Trollin': It sucks and it is fake and gay.

There is a drastic difference between the two. Since the last troller we had on this forum is since banned, you do not have to worry about trolling here. Have a good time, and I will read regularly!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Jaylea Offline

I never said that blunt criticism was trolling or hating, I prefer it to the fluff comments where all they say is I love it. I know the difference between the two and I simple don't listen to the reviews that have nothing I can learn from. Like people telling me to write longer, I tend to ignore that simply because I know I won't. I've had regular readers as this isn't the only place I post but for this story no I don't. If and when I get more and they ask me to write more I'll have the same reply. I'm pretty stubborn in that sense even if someone says if I don't write longer they'll stop reading it doesn't bother me. As a writer I'm here to improve how I write and yes some may say that making it longer is improving but thats also more room to make mistakes in.

However I'm glad that you like the fic so far and I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do with it. I don't plan on it being a normal trainer fic even if the idea is golden to me. I'm sure there are millions like it and I want to try and meld the two together so that I can get the best of both worlds. Sadly I won't be writing any this week, I have a full weekend of baby-sitting and I can't wait! But I will try to get on long enough to jot down some plot ideas and possible new characters, I have to fill out my current characters mostly Raiken and my Rockets. Manaki I'm going to have a blast with. If anyone has any suggestions how to better then I'll gladly take them, names as well. Both Manaki and Edena only have first names as I'm horrid with that process of character building. I'll be updating the first post with this as well...if my headache will go away.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylea View Post
I never said that blunt criticism was trolling or hating, I prefer it to the fluff comments where all they say is I love it. I know the difference between the two and I simple don't listen to the reviews that have nothing I can learn from. Like people telling me to write longer, I tend to ignore that simply because I know I won't. I've had regular readers as this isn't the only place I post but for this story no I don't. If and when I get more and they ask me to write more I'll have the same reply. I'm pretty stubborn in that sense even if someone says if I don't write longer they'll stop reading it doesn't bother me. As a writer I'm here to improve how I write and yes some may say that making it longer is improving but thats also more room to make mistakes in.

However I'm glad that you like the fic so far and I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do with it. I don't plan on it being a normal trainer fic even if the idea is golden to me. I'm sure there are millions like it and I want to try and meld the two together so that I can get the best of both worlds. Sadly I won't be writing any this week, I have a full weekend of baby-sitting and I can't wait! But I will try to get on long enough to jot down some plot ideas and possible new characters, I have to fill out my current characters mostly Raiken and my Rockets. Manaki I'm going to have a blast with. If anyone has any suggestions how to better then I'll gladly take them, names as well. Both Manaki and Edena only have first names as I'm horrid with that process of character building. I'll be updating the first post with this as well...if my headache will go away.
No, but what you said previously sounded like you did not like blunt criticism at all. However, it matters not how long you have been writing, one always has room to make improvements. I am an obvious statement for that. However, if someone makes those continuous comments, then it may be something you want to work on. As I said before, it is not more area to make mistakes in. If you work on it for more than a day (perhaps type it up, wait a day or a little less, type up more of it, repeat. Once finished, THEN you can post it). One cannot be stubborn and expect to really improve well.

However, I like what you are doing. I really can't say I have really ever asked for a recommendation for my fan fictions because I plan it all out ahead of time. It is easy for me though, for all I do is take cannon characters and add new characters and new situations for them and the new guys to struggle with. I hope you do well! Good luck!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Jaylea Offline

To finally close this debate over long chapters vs. shorter chapters I'm only going to repeat what I said before. I don't write long chapters period. Its just my habit nor will I change that, I don't think that longer/shorter decides the quality of the words so I don't let it bother me. Alas I cannot do as you say, when I have an urge to write I write and if I don't finish it when I have that idea I won't finish it at all. I don't like stopping when I'm on a role and I've never been one to do so. Yes I am stubborn in the fact that I won't write longer however I always take the advice that will help me improve. To me longer does not mean better. You can have a 50k chapter and it still suck.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Yes, but if you are such a quality writer, and you have the urge to write, a longer chapter should not be hard for you, neh? Keep in mind I am not criticizing you, or bullying you. I am merely making a point and a suggestion.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-09-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Jaylea Offline

Ok I don't know how to say this any more politely and firmly as I have countless times already. This debate is pointless and getting quite annoying. Your write long chapters I do not period. If that is all you have to point out then please don't bother as you are simply wasting your breath. Your 'point and suggestion' is falling on deaf ears and this will not change. PERIOD. Your posts may not be bulling nor criticizing they are simply SPAM at this point.I've said all I am going to say on this subject and from now on will simply ignore your posts if they include anything that relates to longer chapters.