Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: [WAR X] Discussion

With regards to teams entering in the WAR late, I actually don’t think this is that bad of a thing, Mikey. Four weeks is quite a duration of time, it’s quite possible that someone may change their mind and may want to start a new team. Or, a newcomer to PE2K may want to start a new team, even if they don’t have a strong chance of winning.

As for minimum members, well, alright, just to avoid the possibility of a silly and stupid trend being created where it’s suddenly a novelty trend to have a dozen one-man teams. To me, three seems fair as a minimum number amount.

As for team members switching during the WAR, I honestly think this should be allowed, because if a team leader goes inactive, berates their members, and/or bad politics and fights are going on in the team itself, people should have the option to bail out of it, even if the team shows no sign of disbanding or dissolving itself. It would be pretty hard on the members if they were stuck in that kind of situation for the rest of the WAR. There was once a time I had a good reason to abandon the team I was on in a Team RP, being forced to stick with it would have simply resulted in me dropping out of the RP entirely. If you force people to stick with bad teams they don’t want to be on and they have good reasons to leave, all that’s going to happen is they’re just going to stop taking part in the WAR entirely. As long as the switch is in good reason, then it should be allowed. But if it’s just John Doe who hasn’t done anything the entire WAR switching to the winning team during the last week, I think it would be right for a WAR leader to bar him from switching.

I guess I could agree with giving judges points, I suppose that’s fair and would keep them interested and motivated. However, if the judge does not do their job for all four weeks (since I think we've pretty much decided on four), they lose any points they would have normally gotten as their "wages." So if Sam is the judge for graphic art, and he does fine for week 1, 2, and 4 but really badly messed up during week 3, I still don’t think he should get them. This is something I think we really need to be pretty strict with, because it happens often during WARs, and if they get points anyway, then that’s unfair to the judges that did to a good job like they were supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – Neo.
Well, I’m honored, but I can honestly say my mind is drawing a blank when it comes to having an idea for a WAR RP available. I still think the judge should have the privilege to create it, and I honestly haven’t fully decided if I want to apply for that position yet…

Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Can a team enter into the WAR late?

Sure. I don't see a problem with new teams popping up.

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join?

Three members.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR?

Sure, but maybe not the last week or two.

Should teams be able to merge during the War?

No. I think merging is unfair looking back on things. Let the teams fight for themselves.

Should judges be given points for judging?

Yes. It's unfair to punish judges because most of the time they cannot compete in the section their judging. Especially since they're organizing the entire thing.

What to do about judges that go inactive?

Replace them as soon as possible. Preferably by someone who knows the section.

How long should the WAR be?

The original WAR was longer than what we've been doing now. I think last year's WAR RP was really getting started too when the WAR ended. I think 6 weeks or longer is the best option.

Who makes the WAR RP storyline?

Why not all of us? Perhaps we can brainstorm various ideas. Then have the WAR Leaders or RP Judge pick the elements to include.

What should go into the judge application?

... whoever applies?
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
Can team members switch teams during the WAR?

Sure, but maybe not the last week or two.
Sounds good, I think that's fair and reasonable.

Quote:

The original WAR was longer than what we've been doing now. I think last year's WAR RP was really getting started too when the WAR ended. I think 6 weeks or longer is the best option.
*Gasp*

But you even left that RP early! Nah, kidding. Six weeks... that might be possible and considering the success of last year's WAR, I think people would likely remain interested for the entire duration, but I really wouldn't host it any longer than that.

Quote:
Who makes the WAR RP storyline?

Why not all of us? Perhaps we can brainstorm various ideas. Then have the WAR Leaders or RP Judge pick the elements to include.
We could do that for inspirational purposes, but it should really be up to the judge to ultimately decide what gets put in, if anything at all. That discussion could be used to give the judge something to think about and ideas to consider and mess around with, but if they're ultimately confident what they have in mind is good already, let them go for it.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
NES2 Offline

Sorry fellas. Been gone for a week in D.C., watching from my hotel room as our government collapses due to incessant bickering about matters that have nothing to do with the federal budget.

Anyways, it's nearing WAR season already, and I'm loving it. I don't have much to say about any of the other categories, but for the RP we should have a parody-type theme, because most of the RPs have been so serious. Other than that, IDK what happens. That's all I have to say.

Also, Slowpokes are this year's theme. Nuff said.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NES2 View Post
Sorry fellas. Been gone for a week in D.C., watching from my hotel room as our government collapses due to incessant bickering about matters that have nothing to do with the federal budget.

Anyways, it's nearing WAR season already, and I'm loving it. I don't have much to say about any of the other categories, but for the RP we should have a parody-type theme, because most of the RPs have been so serious. Other than that, IDK what happens. That's all I have to say.
Eh, I don't think a parody theme is really that great of an idea. No one takes it seriously or tries to make the plot go in a logical direction. Parody WARs have been hosted before, and the RP that went along with them was never really that popular, nor did they go anywhere.

Quote:
Also, Slowpokes are this year's theme. Nuff said.
Let's... not.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 04-09-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM
NES2 Offline

I for one welcome our new Slowpoke overlords.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
I for one welcome our new Slowpoke overlords.
I, for one, use my Electro Ball attack on them like a good PE2K bouncer should.

Oh, and look at that, its super-effective!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Can a team enter into the WAR late? – Yes, just give them zero points.

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join?
– At least 2, at most 4. 3 works nice I think.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR? – With a good reason.

Should teams be able to merge during the War? – Yes, keep the points of the highest team.

Should judges be given points for judging?
– Yes, its sometimes harder than entering, would encourage people. However, a team should be limited to how many judges it has.

What to do about judges that go inactive? – Their team loses the equivalent of whatever they'd earn from receiving points from judging unless judge notifies a) their team b) their section and c) WAR leaders beforehand. Backup judge replaces them. Possibility of them either returning as judge or backup judge?

– 5 weeks, the last week needs to be emphasized.

Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – Hold a short story contest, winner (either judged or polled) writes the storyline.

What should go into the judge application? - Anything relevant to a decent background in the subject they judge?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 AM
RaptorJesus Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to RaptorJesus

Can a team enter into the WAR late? – Sure, start a 0 pts.

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join? – I'd say a minimum of 5, just seems to fit.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR? – Perhaps they have to sit out for a week if they wish to change.

Should teams be able to merge during the War? – Why not. The team with the highest points becomes the combined teams score.

Should judges be given points for judging? – Seems reasonable to me. Judging is work too.

What to do about judges that go inactive? – That judges team loses points unless a backup had been preselected and been notified before hand.

How long should the WAR be? – 5-6 weeks.

Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – Make a suggestions thread. WAR leader picks a small number of options and competitors vote on it.

What should go into the judge application? - Experience, a reason that they are more qualified than others, and maybe references?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
Sounds good, I think that's fair and reasonable.

*Gasp*

But you even left that RP early! Nah, kidding. Six weeks... that might be possible and considering the success of last year's WAR, I think people would likely remain interested for the entire duration, but I really wouldn't host it any longer than that.

We could do that for inspirational purposes, but it should really be up to the judge to ultimately decide what gets put in, if anything at all. That discussion could be used to give the judge something to think about and ideas to consider and mess around with, but if they're ultimately confident what they have in mind is good already, let them go for it.
I've got some ideas kicking around anyways. And I'm for 4 weeks, we can always extend it to 6 if it's popular, but it's kind of embarrassing to cut it short if it's not. As for the storyline, I think whoever judges the section should have the final say.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Can a team enter into the WAR late? – I think it'd just get annoying for people having to keep track of any new teams that pop up, but meh. Maybe for the first week?

Does a team need to have a minimum number of members to join? – 3 sounds good.

Can team members switch teams during the WAR? – Same as the first answer, so again, maybe only for the first week?

Should teams be able to merge during the War? – "Okay, guys, we're in 2nd place. Let's all bug the leader of the 1st place team to merge with us." No.

Should judges be given points for judging? – Yeah, although it should be done on a piecework basis (look at me with all my business terms x]). As in, they judge a round, they get "wages" for that round. They muck up a round, or get it late, or w/e, they get nada for that round. So, to use Neo's example, Sam does fine on 1, 2 and 4 and messes up 3. He gets paid for 1, 2 and 4, he gets nothing for 3.

What to do about judges that go inactive? – I like the back-up judge idea. I think, though, if it was just a one-time thing that they missed, and they come back the day after, they should be allowed it back (with no pay for the round they missed, of course), but if it happens again, they're kicked out of their position for good (although any points for rounds they did judge well stay with them, in the sake of fairness).

How long should the WAR be? – Initially, I thought 4 weeks, but after seeing a couple more of the posts, 5-6 does sound good.

Who makes the WAR RP storyline? – Don't really care about WAR RP, never do it, but the suggestion and implementation thing sounds good.

What should go into the judge application? - NOT "What the categories will be if I'm judge", as that could give people the chance to plan ahead, which ruins the whole "Do it in a week" thing. But, 'Experience in Field' should definitely.
And then, this is just a thought, maybe have polls to decide the judges in the case of multiple entries?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Okay, after reading everyone’s responses, I tried my best to find a good place to compromise and have middle ground. This is all unofficial at the moment, just a rough draft of what could be the official rules in time.

Length of WAR 5 Weeks

Regarding WAR Teams:

A team can enter into the WAR late, but only if it’s during or before the second week. If this is done, the team starts off at zero points, regardless of what other teams have obtained. After the second week, no new teams will be allowed (not to mention their chances of winning are extremely unlikely anyway).

First and second week: New teams can still enter the WAR, but start at zero points.
Third week and beyond: No new WAR teams may be created, but members who have not joined a team yet are still free to join any of the existing teams.

When new teams are created, they must have a minimum of three members before they can be approved as an official WAR team. Anyone is free to join any team they choose at any time, there are no limits on members imposed.

During the WAR, teams may not merge. Instead, a team would have to be officially disbanded by either the leader or through WAR Leader intervention action, and their members can choose which team they would like to go to on their own. Meanwhile, while the team is active, team members may only freely switch teams during the first and second weeks of the WAR. Upon the beginning of the third week, teams become locked, and team members must stay in their current teams. However, during the third and fourth week, if a team member wants to switch teams, they must PM a WAR Leader appealing why they want to switch teams (and should have strong, legitimate reason for doing so). If the WAR Leader approves and finds good, legitimate reason for the switch, the switch can take place. However, during the final, fifth week, no switching can take place regardless of the circumstances. So it stands like this:

First week – Team switches are possible without WAR Leader approval.
Second week - Team switches are possible without WAR Leader approval.
Third week – WAR Leader must approve of a team switch before it can take place.
Fourth week - WAR Leader must approve of a team switch before it can take place.
Fifth week – Teams locked, no team switches may occur at all.

Regarding Judging

Before the WAR begins, anyone is free and encouraged to sign up to be a WAR Judge for one of the sections, such as fan fiction, graphic art, and so on. However, that WAR Judge would need to describe why they are qualified for the position and what skills they have that relate to it, what WARs they have judged in the past (if any), and how they would handle the section (just need to mention how they would organize it and what they would expect the participants to do, they don’t need to put down each of their weekly themes (which should be kept secret)).

As payment and reward for judging (and because the judge can’t take part in their own section for their own team), WAR Judges earn 1 point each week they successfully and adequately judge their section for a total of 5 points if they successfully and adequately judge all five weeks of the WAR (these points would also be added to the weekly totals). If a judge does not perform their duty on time or at all, they lose their point reward. These point rewards can be claimed by Backup Judges, who have the privilege to decide who in that section made the best entries (or demonstrated the best performance), and can issue the theme for the next week (if it is necessary, such as in the case of graphic art), provided it follows a similar pattern as the original WAR Judge’s format.

Judging and Submission Periods: (Unofficial, basing this off of previous WARs)

Participants have a total of five days to complete their entries and submit them from Monday to Friday. Saturday serves as “last minute” submission period that participants can use submit their entries as long as the section hasn’t been judged yet. However, if the section is judged, submissions close for that week. Participants are also free to begin working on their entries or performance as soon as the WAR Judge announces the new theme for the week, but these would be the official participant entry submission periods:

Participant Submission Period –

MONDAY 12:00:00 AM EST – FRIDAY 11:59:99 PM EST: Participants are free to submit entries or contribute to that section’s activities at any time during this period.
SATURDAY 12:00AM EST – SATURDAY 11:59:99 PM EST: Participants are free to submit entries or contribute to that section’s activities if the section hasn’t been judged yet (last minute submissions). However, if the section has already been judged, all entries and performance stats for that week are closed and locked.

Judging Period –

Judges need to decide which entries are the winners and need to make a new theme (when necessary) sometime between Saturday and Sunday. If Sunday passes and the section has not been judged, nor has a new theme for the week been created, the WAR Judge loses their reward point for the week, and the section judging, theme creation, and reward point is up for grabs for any Backup Judge to claim, first come first serve.

SATURDAY 12:00 AM EST – SUNDAY 11:59 PM EST: WAR Judges must complete their judging of the entries and provide a new theme (if the section calls for it) for the upcoming week within this time period. If they do not complete it before Monday 12:00 AM EST, they lose their judging reward point, even if they return to judge and provide a theme for the next week before a Backup Judge claims it. Also, in the event a Backup Judge has graded a section and provided a new theme for the week, a normal section judge cannot overrule the theme provided by a Backup Judge that judged their section because the judge didn’t grade their entries on time.

Regarding the WAR RP Storyline:

There will be a thread for WAR RP storyline suggestions, where any member is free to submit their ideas, themes, or contribute their feedback before the WAR RP Judge decides to finalize and create the storyline for the RP. The WAR RP Judge is free to use as much or as little of these ideas as they like, as the thread is there to help him or her forge ideas, exposition plot developments, and gauge what potential RPers would like to see and experience in the upcoming WAR RP. The WAR RP Judge is also free to contribute and respond to how much of this feedback as they choose, if they want to respond at all. This thread is intended to be used as a tool for the WAR RP Judge, not as a straightjacket. As a result, no member has the right to complain that none of their ideas were used.

The WAR RP Judge can also post a draft version of the RP in the thread to get feedback and member input on it, but in the end, they still have the final say.

Regarding Possible WAR Sections:

Role Play: (4 points awarded each week, 2 points for top performer, 1 point for 2nd and 3rd place)
Fan Fiction: (3 points awarded each week, 2 for 1st place, 1 for 2nd)
Creative Writing: (3 points awarded each week, 2 for 1st, 1 for 2nd)
Graphic Art: (3 points awarded each week, 2 for 1st, 1 for 2nd)
Drawn Art: (3 points awarded each week, 2 for 1st, 1 for 2nd)
Sprite (pixel-based) Art: (3 points awarded each week, 2 for 1st, 1 for 2nd)
Debate: (4 points, 1 point for best individual Pro side, 1 point for best individual Con side, 2 for best overall team performance)
URPG (Ultra Role-Playing Game): (4 points, 2 for best individual performance, 2 for best overall team performance).

Possible Events:

Humor
Music
-Other stuff I haven't thought of :P

So… yay or nay?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 AM
NES2 Offline

I vote yay! This looks great. The RP idea submission is pretty awesome too...

So yeah, this is great.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

I say yay. It looks good and is taking all the comments into consideration. ^^

I also have a suggestion for an event. Since there's that new voice acting thread this year, why not add that? Maybe people could create a short monologue for a character.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pop View Post
I say yay. It looks good and is taking all the comments into consideration. ^^

I also have a suggestion for an event. Since there's that new voice acting thread this year, why not add that? Maybe people could create a short monologue for a character.
That's brilliant, I like that. I guess something could also be done with Interactive Adventure fics, and who writes the best one given what they're handed by other members could make for a decent event also.

The only thing I'm uncertain about with the above plan is the reward for judging. I'm not sure if 1 point or .5 points would be better. If it's 1 point every week, its like they're scoring second place every week, which is quite a bit and not typically a feat someone could easily pull off normally. And truthfully, 2.5 points for judging five weeks is not a bad reward in itself. I don't know, what do you guys think?

But besides that, I think this plan will do great.