Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Any other PS3 user having this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen View Post
But you'll blame Sony and Playstation Online, or at least use that as fodder to discredit the PS3 some more and try to "prove" the 360 is "better"?

*sighs* Comments like that are the thing keeping me from ever getting an Xbox 360, honestly. People trying to say anything they can to make the PS3 seem worse, and get more people on the 360, are just single-minded in their views, really. The 360 is great, sure, not a bad system. I MUCH prefer the PS3 for the games on it and the familiarity, really.

On topic, these hackers attacking PSO are idiots, in my opinion. How in the world is making everyone suffer for stupid reasons supposed to help? "Oh, we want everyone to have the freedom of hacking the PS3 they own and modding it all they want, cause they bought it, and it's theirs, so they should be free to do that."

Yeah, sure, here's a hint. If you want to mod the PS3 to play 360 games, or whatever the hell you want, go ahead, but here's a hint: DON'T GO ONLINE WITH IT. Seriously, they'd never know you modded it. And if you're modding it just for yourself, then sure, go ahead, just again, don't go online.

If, however, you mod your PS3 to have an advantage online, or do things that should not be done online, then you deserve whatever punishment comes your way, cause that certainly is illegal, my friend. Hacking to give yourself an advantage is stupid and poor sportsmanship. And also, hacking to screw over other people while having a "sense of justice" about it is misguided and narrow-minded.
It is totally blind readers that are so boring because they are stuck with crappy games like Black Ops and Killzone 3 that prevent me from actually using my PS3 for anything. My gawd man, did you not see the "(sarcasm intended)" part of the statement, or do you simply want to turn my comment around insult the amazing online capabilities of Xbox and Xbox Live?

Here is also their point of view, which I can agree on. First of all, Sony really had no right to take legal action. To be honest, they could have simply shut his PSO account down and locked his PS3 up like Microsoft does to you if you mod an Xbox.

BUT! An even more sensible way would be this: Yes, it is unfair that you take legal action towards a person that modifies a console that they bought. It is THEIRS because they BOUGHT IT. And I doubt you could physically modify the Playstation to have an advantage on online games. You would have to download a hack program, or develop your own hacking program for the Playstation to actually have an advantage of whatever online game the person was on. Physically modifying it would probably just allow it to play other types of discs, blah blah blah.

It IS also against free speech to punish the people who simply read the guy's blog. It is not their fault that the guy modified his Playstation, so again, stupidity to the extreme on Sony's part. Honestly, let's look at this sensibly.

A) Microsoft does not sue you, they just prevent you from doing again (unless you are so hellbent on revenge that you waste another 500 dollars on an Xbox and junk to hack into the system).

B) Hell, Nintendo does not even care about people replicating their games or making RoMs for computers. I think the last time they took legal action because of something like that was back in 2004 or something.

Sony did overreact about it, and you HAVE to admit that. I mean, hell... Youtube just gives you a warning if you post an entire television episode and does not sue you! Why couldn't have Sony simply warned him once, and then taken his shiz away.

Now, before you go on yet another biased rant about how all Xbox 360 players are stupid "newbs" and "mofos", I suggest you look at the argument from all sides before you form your own opinion.

Peace.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
My gawd man, did you not see the "(sarcasm intended)" part of the statement, or do you simply want to turn my comment around insult the amazing online capabilities of Xbox and Xbox Live?
Now when did I ever insult Xbox or Xbox Live? Personally, I thought your "sarcasm" was on the last part of your sentence about the "Chinese hackers" or whatever. Again, I will say, the Xbox is a good system, and has good games and a good online (as long as you pay). I just prefer the PS3 much more, in MY opinion. Not trying to influence anyone to choose sides, I am merely stating those that insult one another to try and get them to choose one system over another for stupid reasons are narrow-minded.

Quote:
Here is also their point of view, which I can agree on. First of all, Sony really had no right to take legal action. To be honest, they could have simply shut his PSO account down and locked his PS3 up like Microsoft does to you if you mod an Xbox.
Obviously Sony DID have a right to take action, or they wouldn't have. I personally AGREE with Sony. Obviously, this guy did some mods that were definitely illegal, and heck, that earns you being sued. Sure, they could have just shut down his PSO account and blocked his PS3 from accessing the net, but there are ways for hackers to get around both (which they have in the past, I am sure, and not just with the PS3). My opinion? This guy did something really bad, or ignored warnings and got his ass handed to him.

Quote:
BUT! An even more sensible way would be this: Yes, it is unfair that you take legal action towards a person that modifies a console that they bought. It is THEIRS because they BOUGHT IT. And I doubt you could physically modify the Playstation to have an advantage on online games. You would have to download a hack program, or develop your own hacking program for the Playstation to actually have an advantage of whatever online game the person was on. Physically modifying it would probably just allow it to play other types of discs, blah blah blah
They bought the console, but they did not MAKE the console. They did not MAKE the technology that went into it, which is copyrighted to Sony. If you physically mod the PS3 JUST to play other kinds of discs, well, fine, all power to you. Just DON"T FREAKING GO ONLINE. You sign a User Agreement when you go online stating you will not do a whole crapton of things, one of which happens to be no modding the PS3 for personal gain or getting advantages, or crap like that. And I have seen people use hacks (e.g. aimbot) on the PS3, though admittedly FAR less often than I've seen one used on computer online shooters, or (slightly) the Xbox Live shooters.

So yes, if they buy it, the PS3 is theirs, but that doesn't mean that they are allowed to do anything and everything with it, no matter who gets shafted in the end (if such a scenario happens).

Quote:
It IS also against free speech to punish the people who simply read the guy's blog. It is not their fault that the guy modified his Playstation, so again, stupidity to the extreme on Sony's part.
If Sony really did punish people just for reading his blog, and nothing more, then fine, I will agree that is a bit of an overreaction. But look at it this way. maybe Sony doesn't want more people hacking and modding their systems. What if they guy was giving instructions out on how to do these things? Hence why this overreaction is at least an understandable one, though still an overreaction.

Quote:
Honestly, let's look at this sensibly.

A) Microsoft does not sue you, they just prevent you from doing again (unless you are so hellbent on revenge that you waste another 500 dollars on an Xbox and junk to hack into the system).

B) Hell, Nintendo does not even care about people replicating their games or making RoMs for computers. I think the last time they took legal action because of something like that was back in 2004 or something.
They have their own prerogatives on the situations offered. Besides, Microsoft already gets a crapton of money YEARLY from people, so suing people would just make them look money-hungry, probably.

As for Nintendo, they already get a bunch of flak from people complaining they don't do EVERYTHING their fans want (case in point, Smugleaf...Yes, I have met people who refuse to buy Nintendo anything JUST because Nintendo didn't name Snivy Smugleaf instead.), and they really don't have anyone wanting to do harm to them anyway.

Sony, on the other hand, has lots of people wanting to do harm to them for stupid reasons (and yes, I have talked to Xbox fanatics, who later got arrested, for hacking PSO just because they said Xbox Live was better, but take note, I do not judge all Xbox fans to be like this whatsoever), and have been hacked in attempts to harm them many times. So they retaliate, yes.

Quote:
Sony did overreact about it, and you HAVE to admit that. I mean, hell... Youtube just gives you a warning if you post an entire television episode and does not sue you! Why couldn't have Sony simply warned him once, and then taken his shiz away.
As you can probably tell, I do NOT agree, nor do I HAVE to admit, that Sony overreacted to the level you did. I personally AGREE with Sony for this, because hackers need to get it through their heads that they cannot just do whatever the hell they want to systems or on the internet just cause they get a jolly from hacking into something, or harming someone's data or hardware for sh*ts and giggles. But I'm a guy that also thinks that making an example of these kinds of people to discourage them is a good thing to do, because they really ARE doing something illegal. Criminals that harm others for personal gain, whether monetary or personal, are just that, criminals. They shouldn't get special privileges just cause of rights they have violated.

Quote:
Now, before you go on yet another biased rant about how all Xbox 360 players are stupid "newbs" and "mofos", I suggest you look at the argument from all sides before you form your own opinion.
The thing is, I did look at the argument from all sides. And I never, EVER, made a biased rant about "how all Xbox 360 players are newbs and mofos." I never even said anything NEARLY like that. I merely don't like the fanatics who try and prove every tiny little detail that happens with the PS3 makes the 360 better, when in fact it does not.

Why don't you try calming down a bit when someone doesn't agree that the 360 is better, please? I'm not hating here, I'm not ranting, and I'm not trying to convince ANYONE that any system is better for everyone than another. People have different tastes, different opinions, and different likes and dislikes. So please don't take this opportunity to plug for the 360, but also don't think I am trying to do the same for the PS3 whatsoever. People should be entitled to their own opinions about which system they prefer without either side yelling stupid crap at them.

Oh, and also, please don't insult the Killzone 3, dude, I loved it. Of all shooters I have played, it is second only to MAG (another PS3 exclusive), but again, this is MY OPINION. No one else's, and I will not ever try to say they make the 360 worse for anyone else, I swear.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen View Post
Now when did I ever insult Xbox or Xbox Live? Personally, I thought your "sarcasm" was on the last part of your sentence about the "Chinese hackers" or whatever. Again, I will say, the Xbox is a good system, and has good games and a good online (as long as you pay). I just prefer the PS3 much more, in MY opinion. Not trying to influence anyone to choose sides, I am merely stating those that insult one another to try and get them to choose one system over another for stupid reasons are narrow-minded.

Obviously Sony DID have a right to take action, or they wouldn't have. I personally AGREE with Sony. Obviously, this guy did some mods that were definitely illegal, and heck, that earns you being sued. Sure, they could have just shut down his PSO account and blocked his PS3 from accessing the net, but there are ways for hackers to get around both (which they have in the past, I am sure, and not just with the PS3). My opinion? This guy did something really bad, or ignored warnings and got his ass handed to him.

They bought the console, but they did not MAKE the console. They did not MAKE the technology that went into it, which is copyrighted to Sony. If you physically mod the PS3 JUST to play other kinds of discs, well, fine, all power to you. Just DON"T FREAKING GO ONLINE. You sign a User Agreement when you go online stating you will not do a whole crapton of things, one of which happens to be no modding the PS3 for personal gain or getting advantages, or crap like that. And I have seen people use hacks (e.g. aimbot) on the PS3, though admittedly FAR less often than I've seen one used on computer online shooters, or (slightly) the Xbox Live shooters.

So yes, if they buy it, the PS3 is theirs, but that doesn't mean that they are allowed to do anything and everything with it, no matter who gets shafted in the end (if such a scenario happens).

If Sony really did punish people just for reading his blog, and nothing more, then fine, I will agree that is a bit of an overreaction. But look at it this way. maybe Sony doesn't want more people hacking and modding their systems. What if they guy was giving instructions out on how to do these things? Hence why this overreaction is at least an understandable one, though still an overreaction.

They have their own prerogatives on the situations offered. Besides, Microsoft already gets a crapton of money YEARLY from people, so suing people would just make them look money-hungry, probably.

As for Nintendo, they already get a bunch of flak from people complaining they don't do EVERYTHING their fans want (case in point, Smugleaf...Yes, I have met people who refuse to buy Nintendo anything JUST because Nintendo didn't name Snivy Smugleaf instead.), and they really don't have anyone wanting to do harm to them anyway.

Sony, on the other hand, has lots of people wanting to do harm to them for stupid reasons (and yes, I have talked to Xbox fanatics, who later got arrested, for hacking PSO just because they said Xbox Live was better, but take note, I do not judge all Xbox fans to be like this whatsoever), and have been hacked in attempts to harm them many times. So they retaliate, yes.

As you can probably tell, I do NOT agree, nor do I HAVE to admit, that Sony overreacted to the level you did. I personally AGREE with Sony for this, because hackers need to get it through their heads that they cannot just do whatever the hell they want to systems or on the internet just cause they get a jolly from hacking into something, or harming someone's data or hardware for sh*ts and giggles. But I'm a guy that also thinks that making an example of these kinds of people to discourage them is a good thing to do, because they really ARE doing something illegal. Criminals that harm others for personal gain, whether monetary or personal, are just that, criminals. They shouldn't get special privileges just cause of rights they have violated.

The thing is, I did look at the argument from all sides. And I never, EVER, made a biased rant about "how all Xbox 360 players are newbs and mofos." I never even said anything NEARLY like that. I merely don't like the fanatics who try and prove every tiny little detail that happens with the PS3 makes the 360 better, when in fact it does not.

Why don't you try calming down a bit when someone doesn't agree that the 360 is better, please? I'm not hating here, I'm not ranting, and I'm not trying to convince ANYONE that any system is better for everyone than another. People have different tastes, different opinions, and different likes and dislikes. So please don't take this opportunity to plug for the 360, but also don't think I am trying to do the same for the PS3 whatsoever. People should be entitled to their own opinions about which system they prefer without either side yelling stupid crap at them.

Oh, and also, please don't insult the Killzone 3, dude, I loved it. Of all shooters I have played, it is second only to MAG (another PS3 exclusive), but again, this is MY OPINION. No one else's, and I will not ever try to say they make the 360 worse for anyone else, I swear.
Well, I was simply assuming that you were a PS3 fanatic. And since you had criticized a comment that I had up there which joked around about the PS3, but if a person had no sense of humor, would take it as an offense towards Sony.

If you bought the system, you bought the SYSTEM. That means everything online. I see nothing wrong with modifying YOUR SYSTEM and going online, AS LONG as it is not something that gives you an advantage over players.

YOU HAVE to admit they over stepped their bounds. They did not HAVE to take legal action, and could have AVOIDED all this sudden flack by simply TAKING AWAY the guy's PS3 and NOT SUING HIM for something so simple as modifying a Playstation 3... SO YES, if they could have avoided this, THEY DID overreact.

Case in point, I agree to a certain degree with what the hackers are fighting for, but not the way they are doing it... I want my Netflix downloads dang it.

I always thought the PS3 was rigged to explode if you even opened it up... at least it explains why the first gen was so big... xD (SARCASM INTENDED).
Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

Quote:
Well, I was simply assuming that you were a PS3 fanatic. And since you had criticized a comment that I had up there which joked around about the PS3, but if a person had no sense of humor, would take it as an offense towards Sony.

Don't assume

If you bought the system, you bought the SYSTEM. That means everything online. I see nothing wrong with modifying YOUR SYSTEM and going online, AS LONG as it is not something that gives you an advantage over players.

You haven't put any time into programming a console and gathering all of the necessary equipment to mass produce them for public sale. Of course you won't care if somebody jailbreaks it or not. But the Terms and Agreement of use clearly say that tampering with the system will result in punishment.

YOU HAVE to admit they over stepped their bounds. They did not HAVE to take legal action, and could have AVOIDED all this sudden flack by simply TAKING AWAY the guy's PS3 and NOT SUING HIM for something so simple as modifying a Playstation 3... SO YES, if they could have avoided this, THEY DID overreact.

He violated a contract that he agreed to, and an online contract is just as valid as any other contract. Sony took legal action because if they just took away the PS3, what's to stop him from just buying another and selling his hacks for profit? They took him to court to hopefully drive the idea home that he shouldn't mess with their system.

Case in point, I agree to a certain degree with what the hackers are fighting for, but not the way they are doing it... I want my Netflix downloads dang it.

Just buy the damn Netflix account. It's not that expensive when you consider what you get in return.

I always thought the PS3 was rigged to explode if you even opened it up... at least it explains why the first gen was so big... xD (SARCASM INTENDED).

Your sarcasm is terrible if you have to point out that you're using sarcasm
Getting back to the point; the PSN will be down for a day or so (not sure exactly when it'll be back up). What concerns me is that people's billing information might be at risk, so if anybody has their credit information saved on their console; there might be a problem there.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554
Old 04-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Kind of hard to imply sarcasm on a the internet, since you cannot hear a tone in a voice son.

Well, did suing him get what they wanted? Did it solve anything... hehe... NO NOT REALLY.

We assume all the time. You watch the weather channel and hear that they are saying there will be rain tomorrow, you are assuming there will be rain tomorrow. You hear that the Playstation Network will be up tomorrow, THAT IS AN ASSUMPTION.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter

Actually, from what I saw most recently, PSN should be back up within a week, improved and everything(at least that's Sony's expectations). Hopefully it's soon, because I'm really getting tired of everyone getting so angry about it... And I really don't need most of the guys I know acting like PMSing women over the loss of their online gaming, as it is, I'm glad my stepdad doesn't use online play, so I have relative peace at home.

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Wow. I guess I have to change my password. Good thing I didn't sink ANYTHING into my account other than username and password. I didn't even buy anything.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 AM
garjmp Offline
Banned
Master Trainer

I feel bad for PS3 owners.
Spoiler:

And 'Anonymous' is just some people who frequent 4chan's /b/ board, in case you were wondering.

Last edited by garjmp; 04-28-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM

This isn't a joke anymore guys. Anonymous was originally behind the attacks, the operation was known as "Operation Payback." However, after they stopped hacking the PSN, the network was still vulnerable and was hacked again by identity thieves. Anonymous IS NOT responsible, directly, for harm done to billing information.

Sony PSN is still down, and while I do have a biased opinion towards Playstation, Sony could very well become bankrupt because of this.

I support what Anonymous was fighting for, not what they did, and I most definitely do not support these new hackers taking down the PSN.