Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596
Default Re: How does one formulate an idea for a story?

Okay. I'll give it another shot. A 'cliche's to avoid' section. Maybe if I said 'a section on what cliche's to avoid'? my first sentence made perfect sense...

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by max0596 View Post
Okay. I'll give it another shot. A 'cliche's to avoid' section. Maybe if I said 'a section on what cliche's to avoid'? my first sentence made perfect sense...
Do you mean unoriginal and common plot devices?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Quote:
If you meant that (What Bluejello (I CANT GET USED TO JOO NEW USERNAME)said), I have a few ideas;

Exactly like the original game/show etc.
A copy of what someone else has done (Like exact, maybe with few changes in characters/plot etc.)
Someone with no life sitting at their computor all day (Simple.)
Old 09-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Do you mean you want to make one of these? If you do, I'd be careful with it. I think a lot of things people consider 'cliche' are really too vague to be cliches. I think cliches are more like specific outcomes of a certain situation (like your pokemon being captured by Team Rocket example). I'm just having a really hard time seeing that as a cliche because the idea is so simple; there are so many interesting things you could do with it.

Personally I'd rather focus on writing the ideas you want to well and in an interesting way, rather than what ideas are apparently 'no-no's'. I see a lot of people saying certain things are cliche, like, say, a trainer capturing an eevee. But, why? Sure it happens a lot in stories, but I don't see it as any different to capturing any other pokemon. The effect on the story (a new character is added) is the same. And "new character is added" is a REALLY, really vague concept. (And the whole thing with eevees being rare never really mattered to me either, since there are still plenty of logical ways a trainer could obtain one (through a breeding center, a secluded place in the wild where they are common, a chance encounter (with a reason that is explained), etc., etc.).) I think having a trainer get an eevee that is absurdly powerful or is obtained in a way that doesn't make sense or is never explained is closer to a cliche than just 'eevee' and would apply to a trainer obtaining any pokemon.

I think if you break any idea down into something that simple, there just isn't enough detail to tell if it will be pulled off in a creative way. I personally think story plots are far too complex to judge based on those bare details of an event. There's far more to creativity than picking an idea and thinking, "I'm going to do this" so the less-common simple ideas don't automatically impress me either; I have to see where the author takes them and how the story plays out.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's more how an idea is used that makes it cliche (and that saying a species is cliche is just plain ridiculous) and I think that people should play around with their ideas and see for themselves if they work or not, and how, rather than just being told, "No, don't do this."

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 AM
Max0596 Offline

I guess, yeah. Yeah, when you boil it down, it's all in the details.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

I COMPLETELY agree with Scy. In fact, if she hadn't have posted there yet, I would have.

I hate the whole "cliche! Cliche!" alarm bells that people ring if they see something happen that's occurred in another person's story. I mean, like Scy said, it's what you DO with the idea, not just the idea itself. And even if it is considered a cliche idea, why does it matter you do it too? As long as you interpret it YOUR OWN WAY, then it should be completely different, and all traces of "cliche" ideas/plots are eradicated. Frankly I think calling an idea "cliche" (ESPECIALLY if you're talking about a pokemon species, like eevee or pikachu) is really, really shallow. If you can't see how the same idea can be used in more than one way, you're just plain shallow.

Having said that, and not beating Scy's point (after all, she DID manage to have three sets of brackets happening at once!), this is how I formulate my ideas:

Inspiration: If I'm reading a story or watching a TV show I love, it's likely I'll draw ideas from there. Even just simple ones, such as the inclusion of many main characters as opposed to just one, or an incorporation of a location, etc.

Or maybe I'll come up with something random after reacting to a certain stimulus. OR. In Through the Eyes of a Flareon's case, just come up with a really vague idea, start, and gradually expand on it till you come up with more. I didn't come up with my ending for at LEAST a year after I started writing it. xD Same with a lot of the characters--they just come in randomly (and in my case, I had heaps of guest stars--and a lot of them became important characters) and un-planned...ly. XD It really depends how you work. AND. MOST IMPORTANTLY.

Write about what you want to write about. Not about what anyone else wants you to write about, ESPECIALLY when it comes to writing about pokemon species. A LOT of people (for some unknown reason) hold endless prejudice for commonly incorporated pokemon such as eevee or pikachu, which, in my opinion, is utterly shallow and ridiculous. So, in saying that, write about pokemon YOU want to write about, and that's it.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Captain Jack Harkness Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post
I COMPLETELY agree with Scy. In fact, if she hadn't have posted there yet, I would have.

I hate the whole "cliche! Cliche!" alarm bells that people ring if they see something happen that's occurred in another person's story. I mean, like Scy said, it's what you DO with the idea, not just the idea itself. And even if it is considered a cliche idea, why does it matter you do it too? As long as you interpret it YOUR OWN WAY, then it should be completely different, and all traces of "cliche" ideas/plots are eradicated. Frankly I think calling an idea "cliche" (ESPECIALLY if you're talking about a pokemon species, like eevee or pikachu) is really, really shallow. If you can't see how the same idea can be used in more than one way, you're just plain shallow.

Having said that, and not beating Scy's point (after all, she DID manage to have three sets of brackets happening at once!), this is how I formulate my ideas:

Inspiration: If I'm reading a story or watching a TV show I love, it's likely I'll draw ideas from there. Even just simple ones, such as the inclusion of many main characters as opposed to just one, or an incorporation of a location, etc.

Or maybe I'll come up with something random after reacting to a certain stimulus. OR. In Through the Eyes of a Flareon's case, just come up with a really vague idea, start, and gradually expand on it till you come up with more. I didn't come up with my ending for at LEAST a year after I started writing it. xD Same with a lot of the characters--they just come in randomly (and in my case, I had heaps of guest stars--and a lot of them became important characters) and un-planned...ly. XD It really depends how you work. AND. MOST IMPORTANTLY.

Write about what you want to write about. Not about what anyone else wants you to write about, ESPECIALLY when it comes to writing about pokemon species. A LOT of people (for some unknown reason) hold endless prejudice for commonly incorporated pokemon such as eevee or pikachu, which, in my opinion, is utterly shallow and ridiculous. So, in saying that, write about pokemon YOU want to write about, and that's it.

~GS.
This, This and this a thousand times! Fantastic advice here.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Max0596 Offline

Yes, I guess I was too quick to jump on that idea. I too write only what I want to write, in school I had to write about my boring life. They wouldn't take early stages of Ambersand as assignments xD. Yeah, I kinda jumped to a conclusion there.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Don't listen to two of our best writers! They're just being unoriginal! IT'S A TRA-

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Yes, I guess I was too quick to jump on that idea. I too write only what I want to write, in school I had to write about my boring life. They wouldn't take early stages of Ambersand as assignments xD. Yeah, I kinda jumped to a conclusion there.
That is not to say that something cannot be a cliche idea. If your story is simply the same old knight busts into the castle and saves the princes, everybody will hate it. However, if you add some twists in it, some interesting characters, and maybe even a deeper plot, you will make an epic story.

All stories are compilations of different ideas. Some of those ideas do not have to belong to you.

Star Wars, for example. A New Hope, the original and first Star Wars movie, used the idea of the knight (Luke) busting into the castle (Death Star) to save the princess (Leia). Since the idea of it taking place in space with laser weapons, and an entire galactic war going on, it was a brand new type of story.

It really just comes down to the order you tell the story, and the amount of bells and whistles you put on it.

Read up on a very intelligent man named Carl Jung. This psychologist studied the several different archetypes and stereotypes of writing. He came the conclusion that no type of story is completely original, which is true. He says that, essentially, it all depends on the order of how it is told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Don't listen to two of our best writers! They're just being unoriginal! IT'S A TRA-
Leave Admiral Ackbar out of this! xD

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Max0596 Offline

I don't know who to listen to now. I mean, I don't want to make anyone hate me. T-T Stop confusing me.
Yeah, it's all in the details.

Last edited by Max0596; 09-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Nobody will hate you.

What is confusing? I agree with what Scy said. But the way she worded it made it seem like there can be nothing that is cliche.

Cliche simply means overused. There are several of aspects that are overused, but several more that are not. Simply put, do not worry about being cliche. People who try to stick to a rigid process when thinking up of stories write cliche things. Now shush, and start writing. Be free! xD

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Psst. I managed to sneak away from Scy and Grace's ambush. I don't know how long I have until they notice.

Carl Jung was kook, fyi. I don't put that much stock in someone who once reported a dream in which God took a humongous dump on a church (literally) and then saw enormous spiritual significance in it.

Oh crap they foun-

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Psst. I managed to sneak away from Scy and Grace's ambush. I don't know how long I have until they notice.

Carl Jung was kook, fyi. I don't put that much stock in someone who once reported a dream in which God took a humongous dump on a church (literally) and then saw enormous spiritual significance in it.

Oh crap they foun-
Freud wasn't exactly sane either, but he is looked upon as a smart guy.

You can be a lunatic and make sense about something. The fact that he was a little crazy means nothing about what he said. Isaac Newton was pretty crazy. Are you going to discredit Newton's law because of that?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Freud wasn't exactly sane either, but he is looked upon as a smart guy.

You can be a lunatic and make sense about something. The fact that he was a little crazy means nothing about what he said. Isaac Newton was pretty crazy. Are you going to discredit Newton's law because of that?
Physics is empirical. Psychology is not :P And Freud's mostly viewed as wrong about everything except a few of his most basic ideas (the unconscious and defense mechanisms).

Art Gallery