Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Re: Through the Eyes of a Flareon ~ [PG] - Book Two

Quote:
Ehehe, yes, and my other stories. xD I should work on Howling...and that one I told you about ages ago with the arena fighting and a scyther. o: Yeah, I think you're right. A lot of stories (especially on ff.net) are pretty straight-forward with their ideas, and like I've pretty much always stuck to, they seem safe and not unpredictable a lot. Of course, that's a generalisation and there are many exciting ones that we could come across here and there, but yeah... Hehe, yes, well it's something I was never really good at, and I admired that you were. My favourite scenes from PoD are danger scenes. xD (Oh, wow, really? Hahha, hadn't really thought of that, but that's a cool interpretation.)

Your battles are pretty unpredictable most of the time anyway. :3 The scene where Snow and the group battled the pokemon on Articuno's mountain has always stuck with me, and it was very unpredictable and exciting. *v*
Yeah, I think most of them (at least that I've seen) on that site are. And yeah, there's probably a lot of good ones too.

I'm glad it was...I wanted that one to be unpredictable.

Quote:
Ohh, yeah, totally. It would be cool to have one theme per character at least!

Okay. xD Good, haha. Yeah, that's a good idea.

Pretty much... It's funny though; I've never chosen the species of a villain based on a pokemon's appearance. xD Like, even before I was aware of the whole "don't do that because it's narrow-minded" thing. x3
Yeah, it would.

Me neither. I really don't like it when only the "mean" looking pokemon are evil.

Quote:
Ahahaa, so he'd be verbally abusing her while physically abusing her? xD Yeah, I see what you mean. By the end of the day. I agree. xD She's a bit self-centered, and even if she's thinking of the other pokemon in saying that she doesn't want to sadden them, it's still silly she would keep it from them; it's not supposed to be up to her. But because it is, then there are obviously problems. Yeah, I see what you mean, and it's kind of like dragging on when it's a little unnecessary. Ugh, that changes things if you think I should have her confess sooner... Well, I have a time in mind, so I'll stick to that, even if it means it might not happen for a few chapters. D: But don't worry; a chapters won't mean days. It'll just mean you have to wait a bit. x3 (xDDD Ahaha, good point.) But yeah. I like hearing your thoughts. :3
Well, I will admit....if it's a few chapters later that's really going to hinder my ability to enjoy the story until then. At least it'll be soon time-wise... Well, if you have a time already set I guess that's best.

Quote:
Yeah, true. She's pretty justified. Putting it that way, one would definitely know how bad it is that she's keeping it from everyone. Yeah, definitely! (Yeah, even probably slow pokemon who wouldn't stand a chance no matter what--even if the scyther had been run into by a miniature scyther and magically broke a leg (xDD get it?).) Definitely. And then those who DON'T want to be evil seem non-existent. Dx

Ahh, okay. xD I love side adventures. xD Of course I do! Okay, haha. Sounds good. Alrighty. :3 Well I hope you're able to write it soon!
Yeah, I definitely think Dusty's the one most in the wrong here. People (or pokemon) like Wynore don't get driven to that sort of desperation for nothing. (Yeah...overpowered characters...)

I don't think I'm going to be able to, but I don't know, at least I have the ideas written down.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post

Yep, definitely. I'm glad you see it that way; I don't really blame him either. It's definitely hard what he's been through. D:

xDD Pretty much. Well he has reason to snap, I guess, plus he was calm compared to Wynore. xD Hahaha, well Dusty probably usually wouldn't take a lecture, but she's a bit confused about it all, and distressed for a few reasons. She's realised that what she's done is terribly wrong, and she's guilty and confused. Dx

xDD Ahaha, a chicken-dog?

Thank you! 8D It's okay; I don't mind. xD Besides, I have Scy to make massively long comments, haha.

~GS.
Yeah. The villain in Sanguine Snow, for example... I don't blame him for what he's doing. Torturing Skye is a no no, buuuuuut we all make sacrifices.

Skye: ...I despise you with every fiber of my being, Grassy. I just wanted you to know that.

Dusty is in the wrong, but like she said...It's hard. To tell a son his dad is gone? Horrible...

Lol, Domino is terrified of everything. You SNEEZE and he's under the table...Amazingly enough, he can bowl over anyone when he's that scared. Ask anyone. He's clumsy too...So when he presses a button, it causes a chain reaction that usually wipes out both sides XD

Lol. We're making fun of you Scy XD
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

It's always a joy to read your stories, GS. I found a few errors, but that's really good! But sheesh, when will you get another chapter up? I'm still wondeing who the pokemon ae on the cliff D: And poor Dusty! Can't imagine what that would be like, it's so sad :( but I always love how you explain things, even if our styles of writing and explanation are way different. I'm also thinking of witing a part of my fanfic in first person, I'm looking forward to it so much that I sometimes accidently write in first person xDD!

But yeah, keep up the good work! I guess it takes you longer because of the length of your chapters and how much you revise them, heheh. Anyway, onto the huge review!

Quote:
“Killed...” I whispered, feeling my head rattle from side to side. “No...no... I protected the innocents and slayed the evil.”

“You murdered humans too,” she accused, her face clouding over with hatred.

“N-no!” I held my teeth before admitting, “Y...yes...”

“All vine whip users—throw the humans off board, along with any pokémon that try to oppose us!”

I halted, witnessing a Rocket man being tossed over the side a few metres up ahead. He yelled all the way down, being silenced by a splash. The wind whipped around our small group, almost chilling me.

I barely noticed as I crept closer, taking in the deep claw gashes that ran slashed across the human’s neck. His metal gun sat alone and separated from his hand. Cerise blood stained his uniform, and a dense pool soaking his black hair and hat had formed from the wound’s leakage.

“It was kill or be killed!” I shouted, a new sense of guilt laying itself onto what already plagued my mind. My head restarted its shaking. “I...I had to! And I had to destroy the ship afterwards...”
I really love how you did this part, with the flashbacks and descriptions, switching between them. And the way you explained Dusty's emotions was great. Conflicting emotions, how sad.
Quote:
“What did you tell them?”

I felt my jaws slide together and my eyelids meet, my ears stiff and my nose quivering. I was reluctant to answer; saying the wrong thing would surely result in disaster. Zhol was the only friend I properly had in this colony, and I didn’t want to foil our friendship so early. I had already lost my best friend. Losing her as well was a frightening thought. ‘The least you can do is answer her,’ I growled inwardly, knowing full well that I owed her that. “I told them...” Ashamed and bitter, I muttered, looking up, “That Luck went missing.”

To my surprise, she didn’t comment immediately. Instead she seemed to shift through reasons why that would be my choice of words, and ended with a scowl. “That was wrong.” She let her head wander in agitation before returning it. “You only prolong their suffering. They have to know the truth.”

“I couldn’t!” I barked defensively, suddenly displaying stress. My breathing rate increased, and my front paws became separate. “I couldn’t tell them about him. He’s their family. If I found out my family was dead, I’d...” Images of my master flashed behind one eye and moved to the next just as fast.

“You wouldn’t want to be kept from the truth, either,” she retorted. I knew she was disappointed. That was one of the worst feelings I could have added to my list. She must have thought I was a cruel fool.

“But, I...” I lost my words. I wasn’t sure how I felt. I knew I was guilty, ashamed and greatly saddened! Yet I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to break it to the colony or not.

More seriously, she lowered her tone. “It isn’t your right to keep the colony in the dark.”
Whew, this is going to be a long one. I just love it when this happens in stories, even though it is very sad to see it take place. It's that whole 'secrets' thing, and you just don't know who to listen to. I'm wondering if Dusty will listen to Zhol, or herself. It's a sorry situation, if she tells the colony she will be blamed and pobably killed or kicked out for it; if she dosen't they will always be hoping he comes back, right until they day they die. I love the use of italics for thoughts, and I don't believe they're used enough the way you put them in!
Quote:
Ashamed and bitter, I muttered, looking up,
Too many commas? I don't know, but I think so xD

Quote:
and my front paws became separate.
Pretty sure it's seperated, since it's 1st person and past tense is usually used for first person. But I guess maybe not...it makes sense either way. I just like seperated more :3

Quote:
More seriously, she lowered her tone.
I think it should be 'More serious now,' it just sounds better to me.

And that's my first review for you! :D back to maxing out Disgaea 2, I'm only level 9042... :C then I'll start on Disgaea 3, then 4...

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...
Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0596 View Post
It's always a joy to read your stories, GS. I found a few errors, but that's really good! But sheesh, when will you get another chapter up? I'm still wondeing who the pokemon ae on the cliff D: And poor Dusty! Can't imagine what that would be like, it's so sad :( but I always love how you explain things, even if our styles of writing and explanation are way different. I'm also thinking of witing a part of my fanfic in first person, I'm looking forward to it so much that I sometimes accidently write in first person xDD!

But yeah, keep up the good work! I guess it takes you longer because of the length of your chapters and how much you revise them, heheh. Anyway, onto the huge review!
N'aww, that's so cute. ^v^ ERRORS. ERRORS. WHAT IS THIS OF WHICH YOU SPEAK. xD Ahaha, I'm sorry I haven't gotten one up in ages. Dx It's astounding how little I've been able to write because of being so busy! Dx I REALLY REALLY wanna work on it more. ;~; Yeah... Dusty's very silly, but she's in a bad predicament. D: But thank you. :D And yes, I have a very odd writing style, I've noticed. XD Hahah, that's funny! When I first started writing it, I'd never really written a first-person before, so I kept writing 'she'. xD

Why thank you! Haha, well my chapters are normal length, but yeah, it's just that I'm so busy!

Quote:
I really love how you did this part, with the flashbacks and descriptions, switching between them. And the way you explained Dusty's emotions was great. Conflicting emotions, how sad.

Whew, this is going to be a long one. I just love it when this happens in stories, even though it is very sad to see it take place. It's that whole 'secrets' thing, and you just don't know who to listen to. I'm wondering if Dusty will listen to Zhol, or herself. It's a sorry situation, if she tells the colony she will be blamed and pobably killed or kicked out for it; if she dosen't they will always be hoping he comes back, right until they day they die. I love the use of italics for thoughts, and I don't believe they're used enough the way you put them in!
xD Aw, thank you. Haha, glad you think so. :3

Oh, really? 0v0 Haha, that's exactly right. She's really afraid she'll be blamed because it was pretty much her fault that he died. Although, if you consider things, he could easily have died merely fighting it off without Dusty being there. Only, I think she's afraid they won't consider them, and, like you said, kick her out and shun her for it. Especially since Wynore reacted the way she did when she still doesn't even know that Dusty would have helped her mate's death come around. Dx Haha, well thoughts in most books and stories are in italics. ^^

Quote:
Too many commas? I don't know, but I think so xD

Pretty sure it's seperated, since it's 1st person and past tense is usually used for first person. But I guess maybe not...it makes sense either way. I just like seperated more :3

I think it should be 'More serious now,' it just sounds better to me.

And that's my first review for you! :D back to maxing out Disgaea 2, I'm only level 9042... :C then I'll start on Disgaea 3, then 4...
No, not too many. She's saying "Ashamed and bitter, I muttered," and then the speech would follow, but since she also looked up, I need the extra comma. Trust me, it's right. xD

No, haha, it's not saying "my paws separate", it's saying "my paws became separate", making 'separate' an adjective. Said like this, "sep-ret". If it were first person, I would say "my paws separate", said like "sep-a-rate". So it's not supposed to be a verb, saying they separated. It's saying they are apart, like, it's a description. xD Do you get what I mean? Basically it's saying, "my paws became apart", although if I said that, I would have it "my paws moved apart" or something. So I'm using 'separate' as a describing word, not as a verb. :] Therefore it's correct. xD

I don't like using 'now' because it sounds like a really 'present tense' thing to say. I could change it to "becoming more serious" or something. xD

Haha, why thank you! 8D Glad you liked it. ^^ Well...have fun with Disgaea. xD I started playing that once, but then it got too hard and I moved onto another game. xD

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Max0596 Offline

I think you should consider playing Disgea again, it's actually really fun if you do it right haha. And you have no errors. O.o oh, you're good. >.> and again, I just really like the way you write discriptions To all of the rejections of my trying to prove you had errors, a swift "NYEEEEEH!" and maybe a grumble or two is in order.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Fiiiiinally. This is a long one. xD

Chapter Twenty two: Interrogations

A knock rang throughout Zhol’s home, nearly startling me as I flicked my head towards the door, my tuft bouncing as a result. The sneasel beside me answered and nearly moved to someone’s “Open up,” but I replaced her with a glace and held up a paw to plop into a hole to the left side of the door. I pulled back, staring that annoying altaria in the face. I was tempted to close the door once again, but she quickly screwed her face up and pushed past, narrowly making it through the entrance to address Zhol. She seemed minimally concerned with the sneasel’s medical state, and looked to disregard it before moving on.

“Habib is asking for the flareon,” she started, turning to me for a split second. “If you want her, I’ll send her back after.”

“I always knew you’d be fit as a delivery bird,” I snarled, raising an eyebrow sharply at her. She only returned the gesture with amplified immaturity.

She seemed to forget about Zhol’s reply and turned to exit instead. As she wedged through the doorway, she mumbled, “Hurry up,” and continued down Den Row.

“It’s the Poultry Police,” I remarked sarcastically. Zhol was marginally amused. “I’ll...see you later.” I exited her house and was about to bound off when I stopped myself and stuck my head back in through the doorway. “Thanks.” I shoved the door closed and rushed off, following the obnoxious blue and white cloud with feet. Once I matched her pace, I questioned, “What does he want me for?”

She merely glared flatly at me before uttering, “You’ll find out when you get there.”

“Why can’t you just tell me now?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

The altaria was reluctant to respond, but submitted and replied, “Interrogation.”

I displayed my surprise as I ran through reasons in my head. “What did I do this time?”

“Not you, you fluffy twit,” she uttered, “the togepi.”

I squinted my eyes. “...Huh?”

With a huff and a puff, the flying and dragon pokémon whirled around to block my path, and shouted, “You! You’re going to interrogate that togepi because he refuses to talk to anyone else!” I remained with my head withdrawn and my brow pressing on my eyes. “Get it?” She pulled herself around and led me once more.

“Now that you’ve explained so clearly.”

Blowing a snort through my nose, I picked up my pace and overtook her, listening as she quickened hers in an attempt to catch up. I held my position in front of her for as long as I could before she began to dash, at which point I narrowed my eyes and worked my legs harder. We stayed neck and neck until I was racing and she was soaring; however, the wind favoured her cloud-like wings as it carried her faster, and she arrived well before I did. Panting, I finished behind her, containing a frown and the urge to call her out for somehow cheating. I resisted, however, pushing past her and through the open entrance to Habib’s lair.

My eyes uncovered nothing I didn’t expect until a towering green figure invaded my peripherals, and I shrieked with silent subtlety. A burst of guilt zapped through my blood as Shard’s form took a valid shape. His cold, sharp eyes speared my own as I hurried to avoid him by scampering to the other side of the flying fluff. Warily, my gaze switched back to an oblivious lickitung standing with his arms behind his back and a weak smile pressed quietly into his face.

“Please, take a seat,” he offered, nodding with grace to the stump accompanying my toes. Awkwardly I stepped on, nearly slipped off, and sat down. I assumed his bipedal figure was more suitably built for seats such as stumps. Once I settled in, he began. “I assume Tarla has briefed you.”

I narrowed my eyes as they fell to the altaria. “As best she could.”

Amusingly she stiffened and looked about to retaliate, but her respect for the colony leader won her over and her beak remained shut. Her fury attempted to rake through the leaves between us as I flaunted my half-tail in my devilish smirk.

“Very good,” he continued, seemingly oblivious to the silent rivalry sparking at the other end of his table. “The togepi wishes to speak only to you, and therefore it is imperative that you see him as soon as you are able. I’m afraid we must rely on you to extract the information needed: why he came here and who he is working for. It is unfortunate that I must burden you so early into your stay here with us.”

I wasn’t entirely sure if I wanted to comply or not, but it appeared I had no choice. Shard shifted enough to catch my attention, and suddenly I remembered the secret I swore to reveal. If I wasn’t obedient in a time when I was needed, the scyther would surely not be as forgiving as I may hope.

“Tarla has managed to push the prisoner to confess his hideout’s whereabouts,” he explained, resting his arms on the edge of the table. “The expedition party moved out not half an hour ago, and hope to achieve the goal of confirming the lair’s exact location so that we may pass the information on to a more able-bodied clan or colony to handle. They will also assess the security and estimate as best they can a number we – and any other clan that will be willing to band together to defeat them – can prepare for.” His attention settled onto the flying and dragon type nearby, and he added, “Tarla will set out very shortly in an effort to meet up with the party.”

“I...can go as well,” I offered, rather enticed by the prospect of an adventure where possible danger awaited me. I leaned forward as an unconscious action. Tarla’s subtle snort and feather ruffling didn’t escape my notice.

“We hope that, in the event of the togepi revealing all the details we hope you can extract, you may catch up with the party and aid them in carrying out the task.” He blinked with an unnecessary lack in speed, and produced a comforting smile. “The mountains are snowy and best suited for fire types who can keep their bodies heated with running consistency—besides ice types, of course. Having said that, your flamethrower will prove to be quite a useful tool, especially if the case happens to be that you encounter unfriendly ice pokémon.”

I felt my head tilt. “Why would there be unfriendly ice pokémon?”

“Because they live there,” muttered Tarla, louder than she should have. I eyed her side as she perched a few metres from me along the side of the table to where she had waddled. “Pokémon are naturally cautious of territory invasions.”

Habib appeared to disregard her comment and readdressed me. “The pokémon surrounding these parts of our land have of late erected constant barriers to prevent contact from the Rokont Organisation, and have been reportedly very hostile. The hunting trip you, Shardclaw and Zhol went on the other day, for instance, was an example of pokémon that attacked out of fear in a desperate attempt to protect themselves in case you were a threat. By killing some of the pokémon nearby – for hunting or not – you disturbed their peace and caution.”

“...But they didn’t even ask us if we were these Rokont pokémon or not. They just...attacked,” I replied with flat confusion.

“That is why we must adhere to precautions and be more alert than ever before.” He spoke wisely, choosing each word quickly but not without grace or thought. My questions still hung, and, presumably after unearthing them from beneath the surface of my mind, his eyes wondered for a moment as he thought to elaborate. “Reports of attacks and deception have spread through Santoh, and on more than a few occasions has the Rokont Organisation been responsible for them. Many of the syndicate’s minions do not care for stranger safety, and therefore, they take what they want, igniting damage or harm during the process whilst leaving behind no trace of remorse. The pokémon in these parts have begun living in fear, and some, such as the pokémon I heard about from Shardclaw, go to extreme measures to ensure their safety or fortify their defences.”

Brimming with frustrated curiosity, I questioned, “What is the Rokont Organisation?” To me it sounded as if someone had played with Team Rocket’s name and replaced a couple of sounds with new ones.

The aging lickitung connected gazes with Shard, and it was as if they shared a few seconds of telepathic communication. I followed his eyes as they returned to mine. “The Rokont Organisation is said to be partnered with Team Rocket.” I expelled a contemptuous snort, feeling a twinge of fear and sickness in the form of disgust twist in my gut. “Yet it consists solely of pokémon.” He burrowed into the foundations of his mind and my line of sight wandered to the fluffy bird pokémon. Her beak was tightly compressed. “Unfortunately we do not know much more than this. Any information you can gather from this togepi will be highly regarded and welcomed.”

“Where is he?” I asked, out of questions and hardly thinking it necessary to speak my acceptance of the task.
Silence wavered casually before Shard’s movements caught my eye once more. “Come with me,” he uttered.
Habib nodded casually, a smile painting gratitude on the sign his face held for me to read.

We arrived following the minutes between the journey from the colony grounds to a known tree which concealed its trunk with many drooping limbs. The thick leaves and branches provided perfect cover for what it protected: a space of a few metres in each direction from the middle trunk, and in the centre, close to the ground was a small hollow holding the togepi. He was bound by a strong spinarak web which was sticky enough to glue his body against the walls of the hollow, but that didn’t restrict his facial movements any more than his thoughts.

Shard released the branches he had lifted with a straightened scythe to allow me passage, and slipped away after he instructed me to talk with this togepi to seek the required answers. I felt little use in protest, so I nodded my head gravely and watched his stony glare before it was no longer in view. The light suddenly dimmed and I tossed my head about, feeling my tuft jump and settle again as my eyes searched for the specks of sunlight I yearned for to encourage and comfort me.

“And the Sun finally fades,” the togepi hissed with sudden tones of contempt. “Night is the better time, anyway.”

The fur on my spine bristled, and as I stared ceaselessly into the hollow depths of his red eyes, I remembered the incident haunting my thoughts he was so actively involved in. Although he had inflicted no pain himself, he had enjoyed my suffering to the extent of mockery. Clenching my fangs, I felt my jaw pound as the repercussions of Wynore’s paw-mark seared through my cheek. I convinced myself to release the pressure, switching my attention back to what stipulated it.

“Who are you?” I demanded, finding difficulty in a resistance to averting my eyes. I was less than intimidating as I stood without a specific stance, and my voice shook at a level that told my opposition that fearing me would be, if anything, pathetic. It was hardly comforting.

“I would think you’d’ve thought more highly of me than that.” The togepi’s eyes only seemed to skim my untidy and loosening bandages. “What happened there?” He probed, flashing his pupils at my right leg. He looked to another bandage. “And there?”

I was momentarily taken aback, unsure how to respond. This togepi was not easily read, and he knew exactly how to play me, it seemed. An insistent fear crept on its hind legs in circles around us, suddenly bursting from behind the togepi and the tree, proceeding to prowl in unpredictable movements behind me. I had to swallow hard and brush my tail against the ground to suppress my panic.

To my dismay, he next caught site of my half-tail. He smiled with toxic intentions. “I wonder if that’s a battle outcome.”

“Shut up,” I snapped, unaware of my own sensitivity on the matter. I blinked in succession, angling my tail so its invisible missing half was obscured by my body.

He didn’t seem fazed in the slightest. His smile had faded, but his sinister composure didn’t lessen. Without another word passing from within his mouth, I decided to continue.

“How did a togepi like you...get mixed up in business like this?”

The normal type’s face returned to an indifferent glare. “You’re wrong if you think I didn’t want this life,” he responded casually, inhaling to the best of his ability in his constricted condition. “It’s such a...” He trailed of as his eyes wandered, something I hadn’t witnessed them do until then. He switched back to me in a moment, however, continuing, “...satisfying job.”

I suddenly wanted to vomit. An unmentioned sickness bled from my head to my heart, poisoning every cell it passed with the prickle of deadly toxins. A shred of distain divided and dispersed to course through the many pathways of my body. “You make me sick.”

“I don’t care,” he simply replied, shrugging as if he tossed the concept aside like a floppy slab of meat. “My master has taught me to enjoy my work. They say that if you enjoy what you do, you never work in your lifetime.”

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I snarled irritably, staring without motivation to shift my weight.

I only fuelled his gratification as he influenced a wicked ambiance. “I don’t care much for my teammates – more so that crazy ivysaur – but if you were lost to the syndicate...I think that would be a big waste of talent and use.”

My ears pricked and I was instantly alert. My eyes shot like bullets of a human gun into the averted ones of the togepi’s. “What syndicate?” I began. “Who are they?” Shivers skimmed my fur. ‘And why did he speak as if I was a part of it?’

He seemed to show signs of amusement or excitement – I wasn’t sure which – and I could tell he feasted on the curiosity that clawed at my mind. “Who I work for, of course,” he proclaimed proudly. “I’m sure you’ll have a lot to do with them sooner than you would like.” To that I frowned, losing my focused stance as dread crawled through my skin. “But don’t worry. You’ll learn to like it just as I have,” the togepi smirked, his voice gliding down a steep slant and grating my nerves. His menacing glare sparked in conjunction with his tone, slashing through my gaze as it challenged my courage.

“You don’t know me,” I responded, less confident than I would have liked. I gave him a quick vertical assessment. “You’re not a psychic type, either. How can you possibly know the future?”

The togepi chuckled without hesitation. “Clearly age isn’t one of our players,” he provoked, teasing my naiveté.

“...What’s that supposed to mean?” I growled, momentarily forgetting the unspoken hierarchy previously enforced.

“Whether you like it now or not, you’re going to join us.” His eyes were closed and he seemed to be musing. “You don’t have a choice when it comes to accepting your place there.”

For a second I imagined he was referring to personal experience, and all at once his hold of intimidation on me slipped from his grasp, knocked against the packed soil and dulled until its glow subsided. My confidence returned as I overcame his barrier, and I shook any doubt in myself that lurked in the catacombs of my thoughts, testing another part of the pond.

“Now it’s my turn to talk,” I demanded, adopting a dominant pose as I neared him with as much offense as defence. He hardly altered his expression. “Now, tell me: where is your hideout in the mountains? We already know it’s there, so don’t try your malicious games with me to try to convince me otherwise.” I jerked my belly and flexed my muscles, warmth steadily generating in the depths of my chest. I kept a consistent breathing pattern and held my body in place.

He showed his teeth once again, and in all honesty, it was beginning to creep me out. A young togepi with as much inexperience with life as he had should not be boasting about the accomplishments that involved the lives he’s tampered with or even extinguished completely. Each time his lips parted in an imperfect curve, I was reminded of the hideous experience he had forced upon me in the company of his accomplices. Sed, presumably just as young and as hastily forced into the malevolent business as this togepi, was, only weeks ago, a pokémon I could freely call a friend. But with little time and an influence clearly strong enough to change his cognition – through whatever means they screwed him over with – he had transformed into a deadly machine capable of overcoming type disadvantages and relatively experienced battlers with the simple exploit of his bottled-up and apparently useful hate. This normal type, tainted by the coercion he would have experienced in the form of punishment or simple persuasion, was forever contaminated with greed for self-satisfaction and the suffering of others.

Before I could digress into an emotional flare-up, the togepi intervened with, “What’s your name?”

I was caught off guard by the generally casual question, and I wasn’t sure if I should openly reveal my identity. However, what was there to lose? He already knew my species and probably had a grasp of my personality. My name was only a fragment of my character. “Tell me yours first.” I had to be dominant, at least.

As if he anticipated this, the normal type willingly answered, “Tooloo.”

“Can I call you ‘Toodleoo’?” I blurted, hardly noticing such a stupid question was hanging from the tip of my tongue.

He seemed oddly stunned and stared before almost stuttering in bewilderment. “As in...the...goodbye word?”

Embarrassed, I scrunched my muzzle and quickly blinked in succession. “It’s Dusty,” I explained. “My name. But you address me as Miss Flareon. Got it?”

My temper seized its chance to show off its jerk-like qualities and I expelled a row of flames to ensure the egg pokémon would abide by my petty restriction. He attempted to twist to avoid facial contact, only managing to move a smidge and grimace at the heat of the fire. Turning back, he looked unsure of what to think.

“...Just tell me where your hideout is!” I roared, watching the pokémon’s full-body flinch and his suddenly unquestioning expression. His mouth was a small gap, and his eyes became marbles with a hue of crimson which watched an older pokémon decide on torture techniques.

The moment struck me unexpectedly, and for a while I was unsure what to do or how to think. This togepi was suddenly a baby pokémon in the hands of an enraged fire type unable to tame her whip of flames. I wasn’t sure if it was a trick, or if I had actually frightened the wretched soul. The boulders had turned with such abruption that a reaction was not one way or another, but I stuck with a fairly familiar solution: waiting for the reply.

“Earlier, I told your altaria friend that you won’t find it alive,” he responded plainly. His eyes had reverted back to menacing orbs, but no longer did he embody such an overbearing radiation of malice. He was a fire who had been reduced to a few flickering embers after my powers of watery suppression separated the flame from its fuel.

“We’ll find it,” I retorted, minimally surprised at the decline of my doubt.

“Not alive,” he repeated, staring aimlessly before he pulled his clouded eyes up to meet with mine.

(Continued in next post...)

Pokemon Crossroads!

Last edited by Graceful_Suicune; 10-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

They interlocked, and I was not able to figure out why he had changed inexplicably as fast as he had. Maybe he wasn’t used to interrogations and he didn’t play it as well as he thought, or it was possible he had even grown bored of questions and answers. On the other paw, he didn’t at all seem obnoxiously disenchanted, but more like silenced...in a non-literal way. However, decoding a sick-minded killer was not prominent on my list, and I knew that focusing on the actual questioning was a more intelligent path to venture down.

“I told you we’d find it,” I confirmed, “and that would be impossible if we were dead.”

He appeared to absorb a sliver of his previously active energy as a restless draft charged through the secluded area, blowing traces of dirt between his shell and his skin, and a drawn-out breath crawled into his miniature nostrils. “I didn’t say you were the ones not alive,” he highlighted, allowing his brow to sag in a confident implication of a smile.

“Wh—” I uttered, my tongue catching the word midway through its exit. If he didn’t mean us, then he must have been referring to the hideout’s residents. My mind spun the options on a running wheel before it occurred to me that being ‘alive’ didn’t necessarily refer to one’s beating heart and expanding lungs. “Are you telling me that it’s abandoned?”

His lack of a verbal response provided me with an answer fostering as much accuracy as any number of his words would have. And as his content smile slid into place for, it seemed, the hundredth time in the minutes I had been in his presence, his eyes shrugged out any trace of regard for emotional feeling or empathy; in regard to him, I felt myself doing the same. His menacing disposition returned, reimbursing his consciousness in its noxious persuasion. Pride draped over my body as I compared his morality against mine, relieved I had the resources that granted me passage to sanity and – even just a hint – purity. At least, I wasn’t a bloodthirsty demon-pokémon whose only life goal was to please himself and his master by dealing gratuitously generous doses of anguish.

“Interrogation complete,” I mumbled to myself as I twirled to face the direction I had entered, and bounded without a second thought through the low-hanging leaves. As soon as fading sunlight engulfed me, a rocket of shivers scaled my back in response to the evil eyes on my rear thankfully no longer able to invade my personal space. The information I kept between the strands of golden fur on my forehead, I knew, would be of substantial worth in the wise weathered paws of the colony’s leader.

“You may leave as soon as you can tomorrow,” the lickitung revealed to me, and, in minor shock and newfound annoyance, I furrowed my brow fur.

“Tomorrow?” I repeated, and he nodded. “Why not now?”

“Although the information you gathered was useful, it is not imperative that the party knows immediately, and dawdling is acceptable. There is no need to rush,” he explained with an innocent smile.

“But, Habib, I would rather go now. There’s nothing I have to do tonight, and, well, I’m fine with going by myself.”

His face shifted tones as he further attempted his tactics crafted to convince me. “It is arranged that Splash and Azure are to accompany you so that a team of suitable elements and capable travellers could defend yourselves until you catch up with the main group.”

Disappointment intruded the moment the ‘A’ word was mentioned, but, on the flip side, having some private hours with the glaceon would provide the perfect atmosphere for me to question her. I hadn’t forgotten the conversation I had exchanged with Mynk only yesterday about her suspicious whereabouts. “Alright,” I obliged, not discontent with the company, but still resistant to wait until morning to leave.

“The problem surrounding that idea is that, with Splash gone, we do not have any suitable pokémon to guard the berry shack. Another member currently not here is the other guard. He is scheduled to return from his mission tomorrow, when a convenient time for Splash to leave would be.” The colony leader kept a steady voice as he didn’t spare me the details.

“But...wouldn’t that be inconvenient because he would sleep during the day...while we’re trying to travel?” I asked, finding tiny holes in his reason large enough to pose questions.

“Splash, you will find, is very adaptable. He is also known for sleepwalking,” he chuckled, his gaze transcending into space as if he was visualising this apparently amusing image.

“How about...I leave, and they catch up? That would be okay, wouldn’t it?”

His consistent head-shaking dulled my enthusiasm. “I would like you to leave tomorrow.”

My impatience and his refusal to listen to reason got my fire going. “But what if this other guard doesn’t even come home after we leave? What then? Do we have to wait until he returns?” I felt my fur rising as it tingled on the surface of my skin. However, the lickitung seemed confident – or unfazed, at least – that his followers wouldn’t let him down. I released a rocky sigh. “...What time can we leave tomorrow?”

The pink pokémon’s smile relaxed into his face, and as he arranged some pebbles on the table before him, I could tell he knew he was nearly finished with me. “Be not concerned with tomorrow, young one. Tomorrow will come by itself.”

In a huff and a head full of irritation, I tore myself from the large log table and stormed out of his house. Hunched over as I stood for a moment, unsure of where to go, I muttered, “Stupid philosophical crap annoys me to no end.”

As I picked a direction – Zhol’s house – and began wandering behind the row of houses, my mind turned over the options that tempted me; I could stay like Habib was restricting me to, or I could act on my own desires and escape to pursue the party when I wanted. I wasn’t sure if it was a flick of rebellion that piqued my urge to defy orders, or the hunger for adventure I found more than appealing, but it was hardly a tough decision to know I wouldn’t be listening to the adviser trying to steer me onto a path I wasn’t interested in walking. He was certainly an admirable leader and a pokémon worth knowing, but his explanations for keeping me grounded when I wanted to fly were unsupported and unreasonable.

“Quite familiar with interrogations now?” a cutting voice jabbed, and my belly tightened as I swung my entirety to the left. A green figure possessing a stature of subtle nobility but caution stood no more than two metres away. He was upright and held his scythes in an adaptable position.

My heart pounded as the rigid glare descended from a pedestal of justice, leaking guilt into the slits of my composition. Muscles and tendons stiffened, my jaws compressing without my consent and my tail and mane swelling to prickles. “Sh-Shard,” I whispered through gritted fangs.

“I must speak with you,” he insisted from the escalating density of the forest so close to the colony’s borders.

My body refused to move as his solid gaze failed to lessen, and as seconds passed without another word, it became clear that the scyther’s patience had no intention of increasing. Moving would guarantee my ticket to another lecture, attack or threat and attempting an escape would only delay the outcome—and besides, I was up against a scyther. Similar to Zhol and her abilities, a scyther’s blinding speed would be impossible to outrun unless my legs suddenly gained turbo boosters and propelled me across ground without rest.

Noting my lack in any movement, Shard hesitated in capturing the ground in front of his foot, but reluctantly forced himself to, and closed the space between us with not more than a foot to spare. “You must tell me,” he snapped. “Tell me what happened to Luck, or I’ll...” The muscles along part of his jawline on both sides of his face tensed and popped out, and his eyelids dropped over his eyeballs for longer than a usual blink. He didn’t raise his arms or grasp me in any way, but his looming frame and anger-riddled expression was influential enough to suggest that, although I suspected he was merely bluffing, I should not test his word. With displeasure and a hint of shame, he uttered, “Or I’ll cut your throat.”

I swallowed with a jolt of surprise, feeling a lump struggling to pass through my oesophagus as my neck was slightly inclined, and kept my eyes on the same field as his. “You wou—”

“Tell me,” he growled, his voice low and conspicuous as he watched the road through Den Row for witnesses. Without a minor loss of concentration, the bug and flying type bent further down to meet my ear with his snout, his wings erect. “You will only lose your guilt if you reveal the truth.” When my eyes zipped to his again, I could feel them quivering inside my skull. His were serious and unchanging. “I am only interested in what happened to my friend.” His nostrils twitched with coursing derision, his breathing reaching my face in strengthening columns. “You don’t understand, do you?” he hissed. “Luck – Lakane – is essential to this colony. Along with me, he is Habib’s bodyguard. We exist to protect our colony leader in cases of attack or threats, or when he must venture to other colonies for meetings. His feared species provides him with perfect first impressions.” His anger remained as he continued. “As well as the useful factors, he was – he is – my closest friend, as am I to him. Wynore struggles day and night with her inability to cope without the presence of her mate purely because she cannot cease her worrying, young flareon. Their cub,” he pressed, becoming more enveloped in his story as he trudged on. “Her name is Bibi. At the moment, she may or may not have a father. You know the answer to this, and yet you keep it from us all? You can cure our curiosity and prevent my suffering—our suffering, but you... You keep the secret locked up and bind it to your heart alone in a selfish attempt to dull the truth!”

In a fit of fury, the scyther lost control and, with the flesh edge of his scythe, pushed against my neck and thrust me over into a mess of orange and yellow fur. Fear gripped me as my paws scrambled before he registered my futile effort to flee, and he lunged forward, presenting his scarily sharp blades as his version of blackmail. My position was difficult to hold without ceaselessly shaking as sweat developed faster than I thought possible, my line of sight set firmly on the scyther’s weapons. Terror swirled in my belly, dividing to distribute its pain to my chest and my head, fuelling the wild pounding that tested my ability to cope with the menacing threat eating away at my composure. The scyther’s fury tangled itself around my throat, and the difficulty to breathe built until I was stabbed with flashbacks of the incident with the armarldo and the morning’s memory of Sed’s tangible vines.

I was almost convinced Shard’s aggression mollified as he came to his senses, but it was barely noticeable before it vanished completely once we heard uneven footsteps and an emission of a low growl. The scyther’s attention on me was severed as he flung his spiky head over his shoulder quicker than the blink of an eye and swiftly looked Zhol up and down. She stared back.

I whispered the sneasel’s name as my pleading expression flowed in disheartened waves towards her soft spot. Evocation of her empathy would save my skin and display the effects of Shard’s impulsive and surprising behaviour. For the continuing brief seconds of Shard’s form looming like a raincloud over my body, I didn’t stop my internal panic.

The green dual type clambered off me, consciously angling his scythes so they wouldn’t stray. I blew a drawn-out shaky breath as my heart settled and my paws regained their mobility, hoisting my body into a sturdy position. I staggered back, eyes focused on Shard as he leaned on his scythes and curved his back. He looked regretful as he hung his head in shame, clenching and unclenching his jaws in turn. As I looked to Zhol, I could tell she wanted strongly to know what had happened, and I figured I should probably fill her in.

“Have you told him yet?” asked the sneasel before I could expel words of my own.

I blinked repeatedly, gazing without a change in my face as she switched her leg up to avoid contact with the ground. “No, I...” I lost my words and became unable to find them again.

She let me be and moved to Shard. She didn’t have to speak to convey her disapproval. In response, he looked up. “I overreacted,” he admitted in the noblest fashion a pokémon could after having flipped out. I watched as he locked eyes with the sneasel, the perpetual expression of a grave matter racing through the space between them. I could hear the heavy breathing of the precautious scyther dampening the air surrounding his snout, and compared it with my short and sharp respiring. His plea was stronger than mine despite the pitiful position I, not moments ago, had held, and what frightened me more than Shard himself would be Zhol’s decision to take his side.

After assessing the situation, she turned to me. “You must tell him,” she insisted plainly.

My shoulders lost support and my legs seemed to cave in as I emotionally deflated, facing once again the hardship of secrets. “But, I...” Another stern look silenced me, and I swallowed. Hard.

“Shard is one pokémon,” she began, “and you need to start somewhere.” She guided my line of sight to the scyther’s averted eyes, and I felt my heart pick up its rapid rate. My head began to fill with liquid guilt and as his attention met mine, I flinched involuntarily and nearly took a step back.

“You...you knew?” Shard uttered nearly inaudibly to Zhol, his face stained with an edge of pain and bewilderment. He released feelings of betrayal as he started at her with an open mouth and saddened eyes.

“Yes. I am sorry,” she whispered, angling her eyes at the ground. “But it was not my business to intervene.”

Silence rode the wind and sifted through the soil as our only movement became the rise and fall of our bellies and the snap and retract of our eyelids. The hostility apparent in his eyes that previously frightened me to my core had subsided, and my only concern appeared to me as my revelation of the truth: that Luck had died. However, as the concept flooded my mind, I realised something. ‘If I tell them he died, then they should be satisfied with my answer...’ My ears straightened out and I felt my muzzle twitch. ‘They don’t need to know I was involved.’ I scanned the scyther’s body in a singular moment and inflated my chest, tightening my paws.

“Please,” Shard added with a sigh of hopefulness, having removed his weight from his scythes to stand steadily on two feet. Zhol continued with her unreadable bare face.

“On the ship,” I started, exhaling at a sensible pace, “Luck was fighting that...garchomp I mentioned yesterday morning.” The bug and flying type’s eyes rounded as he seemed to be drawn in to my story. “He was a wonderful fighter.” I could tell he was surprised by my use of ‘was’, but I could only imagine he knew what I was about to say. “Unfortunately, he...he was...” My lips froze, and in a slight act of desperation, the scyther moved a step closer.

“What?” he demanded, his concern outmatching his anger.

“He... He fell off!” I hissed, squeezing my eyelids together. It felt as if a plug had been pulled from my heart, and the wretched fluid drained from the hollows of my head. I revealed my pupils only to the dirt beneath my paws as I uttered, “The beast dealt a fatal blow when Luck wasn’t paying attention, and he...he fell off.” My words trailed off as I added, “He perished with the waves...”

The wind tickled my fur as it carried with it any prior resentment, and suddenly I felt clean. Wishing to share my feeling, I raised my head, absorbing the abrupt shift in Shard’s composure. He was staring ahead at the back of a colony home, and not one part of his body was moving. Both the sneasel and I watched as he exposed his eyes to the wind for so long that they developed a glaze of salt water. It welled on his bottom eyelid and slipped down his smooth green face, and with the twitch of his snout, he blinked it out and strained his head down.

“I’m sorry,” he breathed, eyes bound and body tense. A second or two passed, and I wasn’t sure what to say. I was about to look to Zhol for clarification when, in a flurry of woe and a subtle whisper of further apologising, he dashed past me, gliding across the campfire grounds and away into the trees.

I threw a glance of worry to my sneasel friend, and she only returned it with modest compassion and reassurance. We knew I had done the right thing, even if it felt horrible to witness Shard’s heartbreaking reaction.

“I’m glad I finally told him,” I admitted bitterly, still half-concerned about the horrid news.

Zhol nodded curtly and presented the faintest of smiles. I knew she was satisfied with my actions. “Next you must reveal Luck’s fate to Wynore.”

Immediately I experienced a full-body shiver, and felt my eyes grow as quickly as a sunflora’s head in extensive sunlight. “Wh...what?” I gasped, realising she was utterly correct. I nearly panicked as the dark and ice type took a wonky step towards me.

“First, I must show you,” she insisted, hobbling past me.

With another groan of displeasure and the turn of my body, I scampered to support her injured foot and thought briefly about her words. I did have to tell Wynore, and I knew that it was better late than never. I couldn’t keep it from her forever, and even though I managed to reveal it to Shard, Zhol was right. He was only one pokémon, and although I had to start with him, I couldn’t, by any means, finish with him. Eventually the whole colony had to know, but one pokémon at a time would suffice...wouldn’t it?

“Where are we going?” I asked once I shook the thought from my head. Although it wasn’t going to show me mercy anytime soon, I could at least focus on now instead of on what will be.

“You’ll see.”

She led me to where she’d initially planned the day before: a small glade with grass that didn’t even reach my shoulders while lying down. The space was surrounded by thick and smooth guards of shapeless rock that were each placed only centimetres apart. A ground-meeting triangle of a gap between two tall grey boulders grinned excitedly at our arrival and led us in. The small space would only have fit me, Zhol and a couple of other pokémon. The sneasel had shared with me the fact that nobody had deliberately built the enclosure—from what she knew, anyway. And surprisingly, it hadn’t been claimed either. It was located in an expanse of land that sprouted boulders in many places, and the general area progressively became heavier with rock the further north-west one travelled, helping the secret space to remain unveiled. Tall trees also did their jobs of hanging protectively over it, shielding it from intruders who could unearth its whereabouts.

“What is this place?” I wondered aloud, scanning the enclosure with an open maw. ‘It’s pretty impressive...’

“It’s where I go to think and be alone,” she responded casually, lowering herself to a cross-legged seating position a flareon wouldn’t at all be capable of emulating.

“Interesting place,” I responded coolly, taking my place opposite her. There was hardly a pace between us. “But...why did you want to take me here?”

(Continued in the next post...)

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

She pondered for a moment before confessing, “It’s special to me. I wanted to show you this place.” With a hesitant breath, her gaze on me, she added, “I trust you.” To that I grew a responsive smile, and she averted her eyes, seemingly embarrassed to reveal a feeling rare for her to encounter.

“Trust is good,” I replied happily. “I trust you too. In fact...you’re a really good friend.”

Presumably before we dwelled too much on the details of friendship she wasn’t accustomed to experiencing, she slipped in, “I also imagined you would want to distance yourself from the Usster Colony until you felt as though you could reveal the...undesirable truth.”

I wave of intensity washed through me, but diminished quickly, as I knew I had taken another step towards fulfilling the promise to do so. I only knew I wouldn’t get a chance to tell them before I left for the mountains to catch up with the party. “By the way, Zhol. I, uh...” My brows came together and she watched emotionlessly, waiting for a continuation. “Well, I’m gonna be leaving to catch up with the party venturing into the mountains, as per Habib’s request.”

Her head bowed without haste, and she lifted her eyelids slowly, seeming to be involved in thought. In response she met my gaze and her cheek flickered with the trace of an understanding smile. The action made me smile, and accordingly, my spirits lifted. After brushing through her reaction, I only hoped her acceptance was genuine.

After settling to the point of relaxation, we chatted – well, I blabbered – for a good fifteen or so minutes. After securing myself in the right position, I spent time retelling her about my life with Izante and our humans. I filled her in on some of the many adventures we had together...the assorted events we pulled each other through. Such as the time I tackled her master out the way of an oncoming car in a town we skipped through, or when Izante slipped on a fish at a market and fell flat on her belly...and about all those times I thought I could truly count on her. Back when I couldn’t imagine my life without such a supportive best friend. “...Then again, she was never really that supportive,” I muttered, rolling my eyes as my mouth formed a half-hearted sarcastic smile. “But, you know... She was still a close friend to me. It meant a lot that I could spend so long with her.” I blew through my nose in an effortless chuckle, my gaze slipping and thumping into the earth in the rummaging of my memories. Silence finally wedged between us, and I was quite happy to sit in my spot and feel the thoughts blow around inside my mind.

“If you were to ask me,” Zhol began hesitantly, as if she felt like she didn’t have the right to input, “I would advise that you...not keep thinking about this. It seems it only pains you.” Although slightly forlorn, she was also practical.

I lowered my eyebrows, contemplating her suggestion. I enjoyed reminiscing, and it did give me a pleasant set of memories to remember the leafeon by...but maybe she was right. I didn’t want to abandon the thoughts I held so fondly to my heart, but bringing up the topic with unresting repetition surely couldn’t benefit me. After all, listening to Zhol was—

“Zhol!” yelled a voice into the chilled evening air.

I saw the dark and ice type’s ears draw close to one another, the longer one flickering beforehand. I frowned.

“Aemara wants you back at the clinic!” exclaimed the same pokémon, and although I wasn’t sure who it was, it was obvious that it was someone from the colony.

“Expect me soon,” the sneasel called with cupped paws, straightening her legs awkwardly as she rose to her feet. She rotated her head back to me. “I’ve...got to go.”

“Are you right to go by yourself?” I asked, rising to my paws. At first she appeared puzzled, but after I glanced quickly to her mangled foot, she seemed to rediscover a friend in comprehension.

“Yes. I’ll be fine,” she affirmed with a light smile, nodding once before crawling back through the entrance.

Once her last feather-like tail vanished through the rocks, I hung my head, disappointed she had to leave so suddenly. At the same time, since there was not another pokémon around, I was able to have more me time. It was a plan to sleep for a time before sunup, allowing me a few hours of rest before my journey to catch up with the party would commence. So, after stretching with a long string of oxygen to fill my chest, I lay back down and felt my tail encase my legs in its furry depths...as best it could as a petty half. “Goodbye, nighttime. Hello, naptime.”

My eyelids lifted with weary fuzziness as grumbling, muffled scrapes slid through my ears. Immediately I made a note of the endless darkness soaking the land, remembering my place in the small enclosure walled off by tall, trusty stones. However, upon the twitch of my ear as the grinding continued, my nostrils identified an unfamiliar scent strong enough to knock the leaves off a tree. A slim tail flicked only a pace in front of me.

“AAHHH!” I squealed, leaping abruptly in response to a dark figure filling my view. In the process of my sudden fright, I thumped against a giant rock behind me, bashing my head and dropping like a...well, a stone until I met the rough ground. I didn’t forget the new pokémon, however, and scrambled upright whilst new injuries thudded.

“Awake, are we?” the pokémon teased, his muzzle becoming visible as he rotated his head, which was facing the entrance. He had ceased his clumsy chewing to address me, and before I could adjust my eyes to my newfound dim surroundings, I stared with an open mouth, panting heavily. A section of my spine whinged with pain.

“Y...you,” I growled, my voice hushed and my eyes narrowed. I recognised this male fire type.

“Yep, me. And you too, Flair,” he stated casually, waiting a moment before turning back to his bone.

My eyes fired up and I strengthened my pose, curling my lips into a snarl. “By Arceus,” I shouted incredulously, “it was YOU! Wasn’t it?!”

With a light furrow of the brow, the houndoom rose to his paws, turning around to face me. It was only then when I realised he was reasonably larger than I was, and I was secretly tempted to cower in his shadow. “Yep,” he responded coolly, eyelids resting lazily on his eyeballs as he flashed his teeth. “I told those bibarel that you’d be willing to help them.”

“You what?” I questioned with indignation coating each syllable. In a fit of rage, my muzzle twitched, loosing a line of flames onto the houndoom’s pelt. I hoped it would singe his fur until he smoked like a hairless rattata on a spit, but half his element was fire, unfortunately acting as a barrier against attacks such as flamethrower.

As the stream of heated energy dissolved into mere cinders, the houndoom stood, almost unfazed. He revealed his eyes once more and stared with question and calmness. However, I didn’t think I got my point across.

After a measured brewing of acid forming somewhere in my torso, I vomited a sickly toxic paste which so graciously blanketed the unsuspecting houndoom, following which was a shadow ball composed not of the materials required to injure a dark type. When my ordeal neared its end, I eyed him off and snorted, “Stuff you.”

“...You finished?” he murmured through the coating of purple liquid, coughing as he shook off and rubbed against the wall. It seemed none of my attacks had left a mark or even an emotional effect, provoking my agitation and warranting a sneer. He reeked of patronisation.

“Yeah...” I growled with reluctance, fluffing myself up and averting my vengeful glare. Remembering my reason for anger, I turned back to him. “Do you know how annoying it was to have to stay there and be forced to help?”

He chuckled, hardly aware of the measly after-effects of the poison. “What was so bad about it? You learned something, didn’t you, Flair?”

My cheek flickered with frustration. “Yeah. That I hate houndoom.” Holding his gaze firmly to jab his game in its gut, I hissed, “And don’t call me that!”

“You know that was me who saved you when you nearly fell into the river there, right?” A smile licked his face.

“You...” My face melted from a detailed frown to a lacking look of curiosity, and I burrowed into the memories of the other day to uncover truth to his words. The recollection of the forgettable event rolled into my mind, and I momentarily wondered why I didn’t scent him at the time. However, the rushing river off the cliff I nearly tumbled over would have masked any additional smell that would not normally have avoided detection. As angry as I was at him, he did save me from an unfortunate tumble, so to speak. That river could have carried me anywhere.

“That river could have carried you anywhere,” he reinstated, mirroring my thoughts with scary likeliness. “Provided I didn’t come to your gallant rescue, that is.”

“Don’t think that makes us even,” I snapped, enraged once more. A smirk formed across his jaws. “And if you were so gallant, why didn’t you show yourself till now? You sound more cowardly than fearless.”

“Every houndoom has to look out for himself, right?” He shrugged, helping his tail to dance. “Told you your perfect nickname is Flair,” he chuckled, disappearing with a playful scamper through the exit.

I forced an elongated string of air from my nose and pouted my lips, following. Once I greeted the night air, I observed the many dozing trees and plants and stretched my limbs, finally allowed the everlasting space. I craned my neck at the Moon and her sleeping children who dotted the inky sky, remembering the task I had wanted to awake around this time to commence. “Oi,” I began, gaining the houndoom’s attention as he nibbled at presumable flees or something alike on a section of his back. “What are you even doing here?” Realising he had appeared on more than a few occasions in the same spot as me in recent time, I hardened my glare. “Are you stalking me?” An alarming thought paired itself with the question: what if he was a Rocket or Rokont – whichever – spy told to follow me and gather information on the culprit of the recently sunken ship? The possibility dawned on me, and for a moment he was no longer friend, but foe.

“Aren’t I allowed to tail a fellow fire type in a bore-induced endeavour?” he asked, swishing his tail in such a way that made my claws twitch. He was clearly enjoying himself.

I narrowed my eyes, however, and kept my glare on the bones hugging his back. His untamed gaze lay upon my face, waiting for me to make a move. Understanding his game, I shifted my head to the treetops, pretending to act somewhat entranced. He turned back to his pelt and nibbled. Catching his act from the corner of my attention, I seized the chance to escape. Swiftly I moved through the undergrowth, crunching leaves in the process, and dodged the thick obscuring tree trunks and their more subtle roots. Within no more than thirty seconds, my breath was quickening as I exercised my limbs, and my heart pounded to drive me forward. Due to swift movements and a steady pace, I reached the colony grounds in approximately five minutes.

I initiated my abrupt stop before passing onto their soil, and I scanned the area. Habib’s den was to my left a fair way up, and the arrangement of logs and a bonfire lay out in the field close to the lake that governed the southwest corner. I was not far from it, observing form the lower west, contemplating my array of selectable actions. I kept low and concealed myself behind a bush while noting the few pokémon still roaming, often in pairs, who had not retreated from the dark to their homes. I saw Krinn and Yukra, with a sleeping Mosst attached to the larger heracross’ shell, exchanging hushed chatter near the logs, and a female floatzel who I had yet to meet hovering on the surface of the lake. I knew I had to be careful and quiet if I was to make it across their grounds without being spotted, but I had the darkness to hide me and knowledge of stealth. Well...I liked to think so, anyway. I had always managed to creep up on Izante and give her frights without her noticing, and usually she was rather alert. Crossing the territory was probably easier than it sounded, especially considering I could fabricate a reason for my night wandering if I was caught. Some flareon (presumably the non-trainer types) were nocturnal, and for all they knew, I too followed that habit.

After distant rustling and suppressed paw pattering, I lowered my brow into an impatient frown. “So, what are we looking at?” the houndoom inquired, sliding his intruding head over my mane whilst radiating excitement.

With a violent shrug, I rolled my shoulder and stepped to the left, screwing my nose into a display of my irritation. “Leave me alone,” I muttered, spelling out each word in the hopes that they would somehow squelch through his head and into his brain—or pickle. Whatever the substitute for the organ was.

“C’mon, Flair,” he whined in his husky, restless tone. “Take me for a run.”

“Screw. You,” I retorted, monitoring my volume to avoid detection. In an effort to be rid of the haughty dark type, I exposed myself and scuttled up the border, my awareness set on Yukra and Krinn, and finally stepped onto the soft grass in varied spots between Habib’s house and Den Row’s outer hut. Sure enough, the houndoom pursued me. As reluctant as I was to acknowledge it, he was perhaps even more surreptitious than me, but there was no way those words would exit my mouth on a direct path to his – Arceus knows where they are – ears.

“Tell me your plan,” he insisted, each of his words provoking my agitation.

“Shut up, will you?” Looking back to the bug type and the electric type, I assessed the situation. If I moved further up and crossed Den Row, I could stick close to Aemara’s clinic and slip by unnoticed. If this burdensome stalker would unlatch himself, that was. “Why are you even here?” I growled, throwing my glower at his face while keeping my crouched position. I could feel my tail brushing the ground.

“I was bored, and we never got a chance to meet properly,” he shrugged, apparently immune to my scorn.

I moved past Habib’s house and was crossing a gap between homes when I stopped to address him. “Well you’ve named me ‘Flair’, and I know you as ‘Idiot’. I think we’re set.” I eyed the two male colony members as their conversation continued, Yukra’s arms flailing about as he explained an inaudible situation. I was suddenly reminded of my master. I whirled back ‘round to the dual type. “So scram.”

He merely chuckled, however, lifting a paw in response as his brow raised. The familiar smug smile stretched the length of his muzzle, and he emitted a mocking, “Ooh.” It was obvious he didn’t possess any degree of maturity.

“Take me seriously!” I demanded, perhaps a fraction too loudly as Krinn slapped a finger to his mouth.

His suspicious gaze scanned the campus as we ducked in an effort to remain hidden, but it wasn’t exactly the easiest thing to do when moving would mean more sound, and holding our positions with little cover meant risk of our sighting. However, the houndoom practiced no hesitation to creep almost soundlessly to my right side, becoming stationary as he obscured any pokémon’s view of me from Krinn’s angle with his black body. As handy as I found it, I grunted with displeasure upon the realisation that I had nearly given myself away due to a careless outburst.

As the electric pokémon reconsidered his previous evaluation, my ears relaxed and I released a bottled sigh. He and his friend must have decided to split as they separated and went their separate ways to their homes, during which time I copped an expectant, self-assured expression from the pokémon still elongated alongside me.

“What?” I grumbled, dropping the word like a solid rock.

“You’re welcome,” he replied, his eyes following the heracross and his niece until they disappeared from view.

My eyes rolled in their sockets and I recommenced my watchful paces, eventually reaching Aemara’s house and the adjoined clinic. Not a pokémon in sight, we crept behind the waterhole and past Mynk’s house adjacent to the cluster of trees which separated Den Row from the daycare. The dark and fire type’s steps didn’t lessen as I whispered continual threats and minor insults to him, and merely let them slide from his pelt as if he had a downing like a ducklett.

Approaching the northeast exit of the colony grounds, the path I walked when Zhol and Shard took me hunting, something large captured my attention. Whipping my head to the right, in the direction of the daycare, my eyes seemed to distinguish a house from a pokémon, which soon morphed into an ursaring. The pains in my stomach returned, and I felt my cheek tingle with the great sensation of the impact from an ursaring’s paw. The shame repainted itself across my chest and dotted sections of my face, flaunting its quantity with blatant immodesty.

Wynore was excavating outside her home by scooping armfuls of soil and stacking it onto the mound she had created, repeating the process as the hole expanded in size. Her reasons for doing something like that were either not apparent or flew straight between my ears, because I wasn’t able to fathom, in the short time I watched her from the back, why she would spend time transferring dirt. My initial guess sprung to my mind as a grave, which pushed chills down my spine as I questioned whose grave it would be.

“Flair,” the houndoom whispered with a gravelly edge. I expected him to continue, but when he didn’t, I reallocated my gaze and ensured I was crouching. Just outside the border, the houndour evolution stood side-on, but his focus was not on me. Instead, his attention was in the arms of a small honey-brown pokémon, her forehead’s crescent moon pattern emanating a dim glow of light.

“Bibi,” I mumbled, the word falling from my mouth as I recalled the several mentions of her name. Shooting one last gaze to Wynore, I moved off the open field and across the border, my limbs tingling with the allurement of rebellion. I sealed the gap between the three of us, excited and attempting to produce a smile, but unsure of myself and guilty that I was leaving the teddiursa and her mother without a proper answer. I could assume that Shard may tell them, but I couldn’t know for certain.

“Where’s my daddy?” the small pokémon inquired, her words high pitched like a typical youngling, but heavy with concern and uncertainty.

My eyes enlarged and my lips withdrew into the care of my teeth, and I felt my front legs twitch. I flashed my attentive glance at the more settled houndoom, noticing my frantic mannerisms, and let it rest on the teddiursa once more. “Your father...” Holding my tongue but finding no reason to induce fantasies in the child’s mind, I decided she earned the truth. “Your father’s not coming back. I’m...I’m sorry.”

Taking no further chances, I tore myself from the normal type, raced past the houndoom and fled through the forest with my half-tail rippling in my wake.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Max0596 Offline

D: oh noes. That's all I can really say right now, that poor little teddiursa...and poor Dusty's tail, I keep hoping it's magically regrown or something every chapter, but it isn't :/ NOT THE TAIL! D:

...But anyway, awesome chapter, sad ending...this story has mood swings. It should go get some medication for that, because it's all happy, then sad. Then scary, then funny. Seriously, it needs to make up it's mind on what it is :<

...Did I just ramble? Nevermind, now now to end this...

:3

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Teddiursa? Teddi! Teddiursa, ursa, ursa! Teddi! Teddiursa!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Max0596 Offline

I'm sorry for clogging this up, but...

@Voices: Are you mad? I mean crazy mad not angry mad.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

I am both! xD
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Nice chapter! I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Very sad. You deserve a medal for tugging on the heart. You're almost as evil as I am!

...Almost. I would have had Wynore confront Dusty as well ;D

Now, I shall leave. I have Spanish to do as well as evil plotting for Sonic and friends...

OH COME ON!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Quote:
D: oh noes. That's all I can really say right now, that poor little teddiursa...and poor Dusty's tail, I keep hoping it's magically regrown or something every chapter, but it isn't :/ NOT THE TAIL! D:

...But anyway, awesome chapter, sad ending...this story has mood swings. It should go get some medication for that, because it's all happy, then sad. Then scary, then funny. Seriously, it needs to make up it's mind on what it is :<

...Did I just ramble? Nevermind, now now to end this...

:3
Aw, hehe, yes, that's quite an appropriate response! XD Really? That's kinda funny. She's hoping it'll magically sprout as well, but life doesn't work that way. xD Come to think of it, I don't know if it'll actually end up growing back. (UGH I'M USING THE NYAN VERSION and it's becoming really hard to see/concentrate. XD AW GOSH, SO MANY NYAN CATS! ... ... ... Okay, I closed the tab. XD That was intense. You click on them, and then I think they double and come back! And then enlarge, so you can't see anything. xD How amusing. THANKS, MOONKIT. Anyway...

Thank you! 8D Ahahaha, yes, I totally agree. Well that's what keeps the readers entertained, right? :D There will be many more temperamental moments to come. >:3 Although it makes me happy to hear you say that! xD

I LOVE RAMBLES WOOO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Teddiursa? Teddi! Teddiursa, ursa, ursa! Teddi! Teddiursa!
Flare...flareon. Flareon, flare, flare! FLAAAAAAARE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
Nice chapter! I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Very sad. You deserve a medal for tugging on the heart. You're almost as evil as I am!

...Almost. I would have had Wynore confront Dusty as well ;D

Now, I shall leave. I have Spanish to do as well as evil plotting for Sonic and friends...

OH COME ON!
Thank you! :D Ahahah, good?

Aw, well thanks. c: Which part made you sad? Shard's rant and flipping out? o: Hehehe, I think that's quite an achievement then! :D

XD I could have, but I wanted Dusty to escape before anyone else saw her. Plus, she was confronted by them both just last chapter. XD AND. I was running out of room. c: Wynore would do worse to Dusty than just threaten her, unlike Shard. D:

Ahahah, oh you! Well, I hope you have fun. c:

Thanks so much for reading, guys! 8D AND MIKE. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ACTUALLY READ OR NOT LOL.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Sheepat Offline

Crap haven't been on in like a year and forget nearly everything. Gotta get back into this I guess