Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Anime-Style Battling League » ASB: Headquarters

ASB: Headquarters The Headquarters of the ASB League. The place where all of the registrations and documentations of monetary gain, Pokemon, etc. occur. The place where all new hopefuls begin their ASB journey.

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
haybalebarn Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to haybalebarn
Default Re: ASB Discussion and Suggestions

Hmm, we have contests, don't we. I say revive that again, I'd love to compete!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Dino Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riataro View Post
Well on certain days, you would open up a topic about the event. (sorta a weekly or bi-weekly event to be fair) A trainer can only use one pokemon and have 30 Park Balls to catch pokemon. This type of even would require a ranger making it much like the safari zone. Though I was thinking why not just bug pokemon catching contest.. why not have a variety of themes? Another example is a Fishing Pokemon Contest.

Here's the basic mechanic template to the event.

1. Trainer may only use one 1 of their own pokemon
2. Trainer is supplied with 30 Park Balls
3. Trainer objective is to catch the highest scoring amount of pokemon.
4. Trainer may use pokemon caught to battle, though if it faints it won't count toward the score.

As for scoring, a pokemon's score is based off it's species multiplied by it's level.

As for prizes, we can discuss that later after Mechanics are final.
This could be a fun idea but an event of this scale would pretty much last forever because of having to constantly ref it and ect. It would end up like doubling the safari zone everytime it is held. So I don't believe this would work out well, especially with our current activity state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybalebarn View Post
/coughcough/ We want it back as well.

lv.100@1618
Links

Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
I'm thinking of keeping the Contest section mostly to appeals of various type and difficulty, and make a simple but effective method of judging that's easy to understand and learn. I'm open to any suggestions anyone has, but lets not take away from the National Park idea. XD
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
5TailedDemonLizard Offline

My favorite part of the games was the bug-catching contest. I think this is a really good idea and I would be behind it 100%

GCeA Blue|GCeA Silver

"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

^Please click my eggs^

Click here for my other links!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Riataro Offline

The forum itself has a pretty good member base. The problem is how do you keep them playing the ASB. I agree that the National Park isn't going to work out at this very moment so I was thinking of making this more appealing single player styled things. You see I've noticed that almost every option in the ASB requires two or more players to work. Why not use "NPCs" or Refs to take the position of the other player. These will require more action updates but it becomes similar to that of a TRPG where an updater helps the player progress through a simulated story. Though with the NPCs a player can choose from sever different "stock" trainers where he/she can battle instead of another actual person.

The point of this is to provide a option for members to play without the need to rely on other players, though this will require a lot more updates from the staff.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Dino Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
The forum itself has a pretty good member base. The problem is how do you keep them playing the ASB. I agree that the National Park isn't going to work out at this very moment so I was thinking of making this more appealing single player styled things. You see I've noticed that almost every option in the ASB requires two or more players to work. Why not use "NPCs" or Refs to take the position of the other player. These will require more action updates but it becomes similar to that of a TRPG where an updater helps the player progress through a simulated story. Though with the NPCs a player can choose from sever different "stock" trainers where he/she can battle instead of another actual person.

The point of this is to provide a option for members to play without the need to rely on other players, though this will require a lot more updates from the staff.
Okay, maybe think about it this way...
If you verse one of these NPCs, one of the staff or someone has to control him or her.
Thus it still requires two people to participate.

If the purpose of this is, to have a controlled difficulty, (Which is what I'm guessing...) you can do that yourself. When posting a challenge in the VS Seeker, use limitations to bring the level of difficulty down.
Example - You can only use stage 1 pokemon for this battle.

lv.100@1618
Links

Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Riataro Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Okay, maybe think about it this way...
If you verse one of these NPCs, one of the staff or someone has to control him or her.
Thus it still requires two people to participate.

If the purpose of this is, to have a controlled difficulty, (Which is what I'm guessing...) you can do that yourself. When posting a challenge in the VS Seeker, use limitations to bring the level of difficulty down.
Example - You can only use stage 1 pokemon for this battle.
I know what you mean there, also because it's impossible to cut it down to a simple 1 person action. The staff is there always to make sure things go properly. The point of this is to provide a 2 way interaction instead of a 3+ which is what the normal battles are atm. The only downside in this is that the staff needs to be extremely active depending on it's popularity. It's basically the same thing as the battles you have right now, though it's removing 1 of the 3 parties to reduce waiting time.

2 person interaction is as low as you can go, though there are multiple ways you can portray this by setting different themes. Then all you have to do is add in different variables like rules or other people and you got yourself a whole new scenario.

You just to start at the vary basics and once you got your dedicated group you'll things to slowly grow bigger and then you'll be able to try out the ideas that require more activity
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Dino Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
I know what you mean there, also because it's impossible to cut it down to a simple 1 person action. The staff is there always to make sure things go properly. The point of this is to provide a 2 way interaction instead of a 3+ which is what the normal battles are atm. The only downside in this is that the staff needs to be extremely active depending on it's popularity. It's basically the same thing as the battles you have right now, though it's removing 1 of the 3 parties to reduce waiting time.

2 person interaction is as low as you can go, though there are multiple ways you can portray this by setting different themes. Then all you have to do is add in different variables like rules or other people and you got yourself a whole new scenario.

You just to start at the vary basics and once you got your dedicated group you'll things to slowly grow bigger and then you'll be able to try out the ideas that require more activity
Three is the lowest you can go.
One of the participants in the battle can't ref it as well.
-Example
If you and I were battling with just us two as you suggested.
I use Ice Beam. You say dodge.
I'm pretty sure you don't want your opponent making the decision on whether your pokemon can dodge or not. It would be to bias a system.

lv.100@1618
Links

Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM
eishiba Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
I'm thinking of keeping the Contest section mostly to appeals of various type and difficulty, and make a simple but effective method of judging that's easy to understand and learn. I'm open to any suggestions anyone has, but lets not take away from the National Park idea. XD
Couldn't one make levels for something like this? I know it sounds more like a "luck" game but you could roll 1-100 to determine the level of the Pokemon you find. It wouldn't have to affect how it battles or its HP or energy amount.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Riataro Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Three is the lowest you can go.
One of the participants in the battle can't ref it as well.
-Example
If you and I were battling with just us two as you suggested.
I use Ice Beam. You say dodge.
I'm pretty sure you don't want your opponent making the decision on whether your pokemon can dodge or not. It would be to bias a system.
A basic TRPG works in where an updater simply uses RNGs to determine most of the actions take Orange Island Forums as a reference. When a player progresses in the story its much like PE2K's Safari Zone Ranger, but with more detail. The Moderator or Updater (aka staff) isn't out to win, but to challenge the players thinking ability / strategy. The staff in a sense have to be as unbiased as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eishiba View Post
Couldn't one make levels for something like this? I know it sounds more like a "luck" game but you could roll 1-100 to determine the level of the Pokemon you find. It wouldn't have to affect how it battles or its HP or energy amount.
Yes you can actually, though it seems as the whole URPG is based upon a RNG/Luck
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:

Then stuck around, you're in for a pleasant surprise real soon. ;)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eishiba View Post
Levels don't really work out much in my mind. Since this is entire section of the forum is ANime Style based, levels don't make sense in my head at all.

The equasion I suggested before: [Remaining HP + Remaining Energy]/Capture rate

This would allow a more level playing field regarding points and winners. Yes, someone could potentially win with a Caterpie or Metapod, but rarer finds with lower capture rates, give you more points by having a lower divisible denominator. I'm leaving a level factor completely out of it because...well this is Anime Style battling. XD

It's hard enough to find rare Pokemon on the Safari System we have now. Finding rare Pokemon in a National Park run doesn't seem much different to me.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 PM
eishiba Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
Levels don't really work out much in my mind. Since this is entire section of the forum is ANime Style based, levels don't make sense in my head at all.

The equasion I suggested before: [Remaining HP + Remaining Energy]/Capture rate

This would allow a more level playing field regarding points and winners. Yes, someone could potentially win with a Caterpie or Metapod, but rarer finds with lower capture rates, give you more points by having a lower divisible denominator. I'm leaving a level factor completely out of it because...well this is Anime Style battling. XD

It's hard enough to find rare Pokemon on the Safari System we have now. Finding rare Pokemon in a National Park run doesn't seem much different to me.
Just thinking out loud but if there were levels to the pokemon caught, it would make it interesting to decide which Pokemon is stronger. Person A's level 50 Caterpie or Person B's level 38 Butterfree. The winner could be the one to keep what he catches and the level woudn't mean anything once it belonged to someone just like any other Pokemon on here.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Dino Offline
ASB Official

I believe that implementing a National Park will have to be on a smaller scale. It is going to be too difficult to implement a pretty much modified Safari Zone. I know it would be a cool idea but it should be scaled down so that it would be easier to manage.

As for the NPCs or TRPG idea.
Using a random generator takes both the skill and strategy away from a battle. RPG would make the battle like that of you verses a wild pokemon in a game. I understand how your trying to found the idea, but I don't think we can implicate it in the way you want. Maybe set up a tutoring system, where older members can help younger member with strategy by assisting them in a battle.

lv.100@1618
Links

Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Riataro Offline

TBH the National Park itself can replace the Safari Zone, basically having the same elements though having different areas. Although it still won't be popular enough due to the lack of activity in the whole section.

As for the contest, finishing the current ones would be the best idea.

For some reason player should have an incentive for playing more, its just natural with most games multiplayer online games I see.

As for the NPC idea, your correct it's basically like battling a wild pokemon. Though I understand if it's not going to work. I just think that there needs to be a simpler way a player can enjoy battling while reducing waiting time.
Closed Thread