Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Third Generation

Third Generation Discuss the third generation Pokemon games: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Hoenn Pokemon compared to previous generations

What did you guys think about the Hoenn Pokemon compared to the Kanto and Johto Pokemon? Did you like them more or less?

I personally liked them less. Beginning with the starters, I just never liked them as much as the previous generations. I always pick the Grass starter so the choice was easy for me, but even in Johto and Kanto I always loved the other starters as well and looked forward to replaying through the game with them. In Hoenn, however, I picked Treecko both times. The other two did not appeal to me at all.

Secondly, legendaries. This is where the games started getting legend-heavy to me. Kanto had 5 legends and Johto had 6. Hoenn had 11. That's as much as Kanto and Johto combined! For me, this is where legends lost their charm and I stopped getting excited about capturing them and using them on my team.

Finally, Pokemon designs. Apart from Sinnoh, I probably dislike Hoenn Pokemon as a whole the most. There weren't really any Pokemon that really stood out to me and that I loved from this region. Before the games were released, I really liked Jirachi. However, because it was actually impossible to get Jirachi in the games without events, that wasn't much use to me. xD I know lots of people really love Hoenn Pokemon, but for me, they never seemed as interesting as the Kanto and Johto Pokemon. I think the fact that we started getting Pokemon which were very similar to earlier Pokemon (eg. based on the same animal, close resemblences and/or same typing) also put me off a bit and made the whole thing feel less original. Linoone (Furret), Beautifly (Butterfree), Slaking (Snorlax), Sealeo (Seel/Dewgong), Feebas (Magikarp), Seviper (Arbok), Clamperl (Shellder), Gulpin/Swalot (Grimer/Muk) are some examples of what I mean!

I never really fell in love with Hoenn as I did the earlier regions and now Unova. Am I the only one?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Obliveon Offline

Default Re: Hoenn Pokemon compared to previous generations

I liked them equally. There were probably a few exceptions, like lileep who I liked less, but the starters were personally some of my favorites. I don't think Linoone has all that much of a similarity to Furret. Sure, they're both long and fast. That's it. Same with the others you mentioned. Sealeo is just a seal. Slaking is a sloth. No relation to Snorlax except that they're lazy. Although Feebas and Magikarp are equally useless.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

I would have to say Hoenn is probably my favorite region.

Arguably, I loved all the starters and a vast majority, Aggron climbing the ranks to be my favorite. Yes, I agree it did get too legendary happy, but at the same time we did get some neat Pokemon. Deoxys, a mutated space virus? A green dragon that controls weather? A wishing Pokemon that sleeps for one thousand years? The Lati twins...They were pretty neat.

There were some I didn't like, of course. The Regi trio being the most notable, although honestly I don't care as much about that anymore. Mawile is not a big favorite either.

It's difficult to say, exactly...I think Hoenn was really ground breaking, introducing a whole new berry system (greatly expanding on Johto's concept), double battles, abilities, natures, secret bases (bring them back!) and just lovely designs and areas along with music.

It also brought in two teams, and was the first generation to have an expanded plot in the third title (Emerald) :3

I am well aware people will disagree with me, however, please remember that this is MY opinion. I'm not forcing it on you, I'm just sharing it <3
Old 05-12-2012, 04:22 AM
haybalebarn Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to haybalebarn

I must agree with Grassy about every point, except for the point about the Regi's. My first game was LeafGreen, but I fell in love with Emerald. Everything just seemed to fit perfectly together, it is still the only generation to date in which I've chosen a starter other than the grass type, Mudkip is meh, but Torchic and Treeko have great designs in my opinion. It was ground breaking, and everything just clicked for me when I played it. Just my opinion. :D

P.S. Linoone is a beast. As in like, really super awesome stuff and stuff! I dunno, it was prolly better than my Sceptile on my first team. xD
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM
goldwynaut Offline

nah, i like hoenn pokemon, they,re at least not just anthropomorphic objects like unova pokemon + their design is grate in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy_aggron View Post
i would have to say hoenn is probably my favorite region.

Arguably, i loved all the starters and a vast majority, aggron climbing the ranks to be my favorite. Yes, i agree it did get too legendary happy, but at the same time we did get some neat pokemon. Deoxys, a mutated space virus? A green dragon that controls weather? A wishing pokemon that sleeps for one thousand years? The lati twins...they were pretty neat.

There were some i didn't like, of course. The regi trio being the most notable, although honestly i don't care as much about that anymore. Mawile is not a big favorite either.

It's difficult to say, exactly...i think hoenn was really ground breaking, introducing a whole new berry system (greatly expanding on johto's concept), double battles, abilities, natures, secret bases (bring them back!) and just lovely designs and areas along with music.

It also brought in two teams, and was the first generation to have an expanded plot in the third title (emerald) :3

i am well aware people will disagree with me, however, please remember that this is my opinion. I'm not forcing it on you, i'm just sharing it <3
I love yewww!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Swampert Guy Offline

The greatest changes on Pokemon world started on Hoenn Generation:

-Pokemon Contests came out and still out by now;

-Secret Bases;

-lot of Lendaries have been created in each generation since Hoenn;

-the main legendary of the game is part of the history, this didn't happen with Kanto and Johto.

About the Pokemons from Hoenn I have nothing to critic except the fact they created many legendaries in spite of none of the legendaires seem wreid for me (like some of Sinnoh and Unova).

Also, the fact that we started getting Pokemon which were very similar to earlier Pokemon doesn't put me off like you, Sarah. It's expected to have created Pokemons for all real animals. Soon we'll have many cats, snakes, birds, butterflies, bulls, like in the real world we live in.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I agree that RSE had great improvements over the earlier games, especially in the way of graphics and mechanics (abilities and such). This thread is specifically about the Pokemon ;)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Ali the Dark One Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via MSN to Ali the Dark One

The designs of the pokemon from RSE were very much different from those in GSC and RBY. I think that in RSE the designers tried to make pokemon, as a whole, what they perceived to be a "cooler" bunch to their younger boys demographic. It's really blatant that many of the designs were based on previoius designs, but with an overall change in the way they were built; almost as if they were making an attempt to reboot the first gen with a new game, and that might be the reason why I've not really gotten into fifth gen, which is trying to do the same thing with a different demographic.

During third gen, I really only wanted to play with Treecko as a starter, because, unlike in second and first gen (where I had to really think over which one I wanted the most), it was the only one I really enjoyed in the group. Other than that, there was an okay amount of pokemon that I really liked in the game, like Shedninja, Flygon, Absol (which, in retrospect, wasn't all that special), Crawdaunt, and Aggron. Of course, Sceptile was my favorite.

To be honest, I think that my fonder memories of third gen arise from my belonging to the demographic they targeted (almost teen boys) and my learning of the game's programming and hidden values (plus the metagame).

-- Ali Al-Karam
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampert Guy View Post
Soon we'll have many cats, snakes, birds, butterflies, bulls, like in the real world we live in.

We already have Liepards, Glameows, Ekans, Pidgeys, Spearows, Murkrows, Butterfree, Tauros and Boffualant.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Swampert Guy Offline

Smile Re: Hoenn Pokemon compared to previous generations

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pokemon Ninja View Post
We already have Liepards, Glameows, Ekans, Pidgeys, Spearows, Murkrows, Butterfree, Tauros and Boffualant.
Affs... I know we have! You didn't get what I said? I meant that we'll have very similar Pokemons, more butterflies are coming besides Butterfree and Beautifly, like more cats besides Glameow, Meowth, Liepard, more snakes like Ekans, Arbok, Seviper. They cannot avoiding creating Pokemons from animals they've already created Pokemons.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I think Hoenn is my least favorite. :s

Yeah, some people are like, "WHAT NOW?!" but yeah, it didn't appeal to me either. The starters were okay, but just most of the Pokemon in general weren't the best. I have always loved cute/cool Pokemon, and Hoenn didn't have but very few, and they were mediocre in my opinion anyways. :P

Sure, I don't like some Kanto Pokemon, and I don't like some Sinnoh Pokemon, and I don't like some Unova Pokemon, but Hoenn has the worst of them all. I might like it more when and if the remakes ever come out, but I somehow doubt it with all of the Pokemon. :P

Johto appealed most to me because it had some of my favorite Pokemon! Like Typhlosion! I think Typhlosion is the best thing ever, but Blaziken is a big chicken (literally.)

I also agree with the legendaries being to much. I like Jirachi, and Latios, but seriously, way too many! It just wasn't thrilling catching them as it was in G/S/C and HG/SS. :P

It may be just me, but I don't like Hoenn Pokemon.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

The Hoenn region represented a big change up to me. It introduced a ton powerful Pokemon that would present more of challenge during the in game battles. While I can agree that like the newest gen of pokemon, Hoenn seemed to copy the two gens before it. It also had a lot more pressure on it. Hoenn was the change over from old cartridge to the new one. It was our introduction to how Pokemon would from that point on. It had to set a bar. It had to give you access to a lot of new Pokemon, plus give you access to some of our old favorites.

Hoenn had a ton of legends but if you break that down you are just adding what people were already use to. You have three legends set in stone...ahhh get it? The rocks stayed in one place, like the birds did. The eon twins roamed and were separated in different games kinda like the dogs. You had your title legends and then you had Rayquaza ! a monster of a pokemon that you fought at the top of tower !
Deoxys and Jirachi were like Mew/Celebi. Only Jirachi came free with stadium bonus disc so if you bought the game you could get your hands on unlimited Jirachis.

In short, I like the way the story change, Hoenn made competitive battling what is is, and you cant forget classics like Breloom, Kecleon, Flygon and Torchic the first fire/fighting starter...which pretty much set the standard for fire starters.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List