Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 AM
cvnmctt58 Offline

Default Which country do you think is the most civilized

Which country do you think is the most civilized?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Which country do you think is the most civilized

A ridiculous query, considering that the world is more united and connected than it ever has been before.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
A ridiculous query, considering that the world is more united and connected than it ever has been before.
Just because one country is in some way connected to another doesn't mean that its "level" of civilization is normalized to the connected country's, or vice versa...

And was it that necessary to call that ridiculous?

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 06-21-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exon Auxus View Post

Just because one country is in some way connected to another doesn't mean that its "level" of civilization is normalized to the connected country's, or vice versa...

And was it that necessary to call that ridiculous?
It is unfair to dictate which country is more "civilized" when everyone relies on everyone else. Borders are gradually disappearing as the world economy grows and humanity develops one diffused culture.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 06-22-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 AM
TDD91 Offline

[stereotype mode] Well, considering that America is a nation of obese right wing gun nuts who drive terrible cars on the wrong side of the road and can't spell colour correctly, they should be immediately discounted. [/stereotype]

In all seriousness though, I've generally found that each country has pockets where attitudes can vary greatly, for example France is generally a very polite, friendly place, except for Paris where the locals are some of the rudest people I have met.

Conversely, Britain can be civilised when we want to, but we also have the tendency to do very stupid things. (Following America into Iraq, Electing David Cameron, Putting up with the Royal Family) I suppose that our long history contributes to our attitudes in a way, as it does throughout the majority of the world, with North America & Australia being notable exceptions. (They do have a long history, but most of it has been eradicated by British rejects)

Although, personally, I'd say that any country that doesn't allow Equal rights for all genders & orientations as well as freedom of Speech & Religion (Even as an Atheist I think it's important) shouldn't really be able to call itself civilised.

In which case, we're pretty much looking at the Netherlands as #1.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
It is unfair to dictate which country is more "civilized" when everyone relies on everyone else. Borders are gradually disappearing as the world economy grows and humanity develops one diffused culture.
No it isn't. Just because some country has some kind of provisional item that another doesn't, doesn't make them equally as civilized. Also, just because one country has citizens that were born in other countries doesn't make it as civilized as the others. And it doesn't make it "unfair" to argue that one is more civilized.

And what's this about border's disappearing? That's sure to never happen. And if it does it'll be on a very small scale, rather than a collective merging of countries. Just saying that out loud shows how silly this sounds. Did you mean economic or demographic borders? Hope not, because international trade has existed for an extreme long time, and so has immigration.

I'd argue that what you just said is a far more "ridiculous" statement than what the first post asked.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Angel_DeArc_ Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Angel_DeArc_

From what I can gather, "civilized" means: marked by refinement in taste and manners; cultured; polished.
BUT! By who? Who laid the standards?
Chinese consider themselves well civilized, So does any other nation. You'd see online discussions on France being the "most civilized country ever". I'd also like to point out that the country I live in is also civilized, to a certain level of degree, of course. Any country that abide by International Rule of Law is most civilized, isn't it? o_O
you must define civilized to some degree to get a reasonable answer.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Robertea Offline

I think its European countries is and some Asian countries are so much civilized