Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentures View Post
It most likely will never happen, at least not in the United States.
I disagree with you. People that feel so strongly about not allowing gay marriage will eventually stop voting and become replaced by more open-minded individuals. Homosexual discrimination goes against the principles America was founded on. People are going to, slowly but surely, realize this and begin to feel more comfortable with the idea of equality.

The logic (or lack there of) behind the opinion that gays should be allowed to marry is so easy to poke holes in.
• No empirical evidence supports the claim that homosexual marriages will lead to bestiality or pedophilia.
• The "institution of marriage," isn't a technical term--it's the self (by self I mean anti-gay)-imposed definition of what a marriage "should be," which is One man and one woman. As far as they're concerned, that statement is fact.
• "Marriages are for procreation." Considering there are over 7 billion people on this planet, I doubt we specifically /need/ more. There also isn't any reliable evidence to support the idea that (adopted) children raised by two parents of the same sex is in any way harmful to the child. I go to school with someone who's raised by two women and he's perfectly normal in every way. Of course, that' just another single situation.
Obviously, I'm just preaching to the choir with this post, but meh. :P
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

3m0d0ll, I have to disagree with part of your statement. Logic would dictate that people would change or adapt as time goes, but history shows that feuds and irrational hatred can last a very very long time.

People are entitled to think or believe what they want. The only problem I have is people trying to stop other people from having those same freedoms. Sadly, just as there is still racism in the form white supremacy groups in US country. There will also be a community that will fight against gay marriage.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

Homo Sexual people will be who they want... we're a free country, no one has any right to tell anyone what they can or cant be. END OF STORY.
I am Brandon, I have 1 goal as a pokemon trainer: To become the unbeatable unlike any other... I have already become the Champion of sinnoh... and am training currently in unova to beat the Champion their.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Dentures Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Dentures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post

I disagree with you. People that feel so strongly about not allowing gay marriage will eventually stop voting and become replaced by more open-minded individuals. Homosexual discrimination goes against the principles America was founded on. People are going to, slowly but surely, realize this and begin to feel more comfortable with the idea of equality.

The logic (or lack there of) behind the opinion that gays should be allowed to marry is so easy to poke holes in.
• No empirical evidence supports the claim that homosexual marriages will lead to bestiality or pedophilia.
• The "institution of marriage," isn't a technical term--it's the self (by self I mean anti-gay)-imposed definition of what a marriage "should be," which is One man and one woman. As far as they're concerned, that statement is fact.
• "Marriages are for procreation." Considering there are over 7 billion people on this planet, I doubt we specifically /need/ more. There also isn't any reliable evidence to support the idea that (adopted) children raised by two parents of the same sex is in any way harmful to the child. I go to school with someone who's raised by two women and he's perfectly normal in every way. Of course, that' just another single situation.
Obviously, I'm just preaching to the choir with this post, but meh. :P
My friend, you underestimate the power of the 'vote.' Idiot Bible-beating conservatives will never stop voting. They're the people who keep this country afloat and they're the people who are really causing it to sink. The vast majority of the nation share the idea that homosexuality is either sinful or wrong, and because this vast majority falsely follows 'Biblical' scriptures that state this, they will have no reason to defy their Christianity for the sake of 'ethics.'

Optimism is lovely, but in reality, we live in a country where no one gives a **** about you, especially if you're different.

And yes, all that makes sense, but tell this to the South Carolina Conservatives who attend church every Sunday from 8 to 4, listening to their pastor condemn those who commit such carnal sins as 'bedding someone of the same sex.' Religion is too strong in our country, and religion is the primary reason why I don't think homosexuality will ever be ethically accepted.

A lot of people still don't accept Black people, and it's been nearly fifty years since the Civil Rights Movement. People don't change, especially people in untouched, rural locations.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

We're never going to have a answer for homosexuality in America, America is not a country for one, it's a country for all, therefore it has so many voters, views and opinions that it'll never truly be determined whether homosexuality is allowed or not, there are just too many selfish people that are only interested in their own views to truly be fair about anything. It's the US...

In my opinion I would allow it as long as it doesn't turn into a religious rally and have a group trying to force a religion upon (or in this case, sexuality) another person. Sexuality is something that should not be controlled, people are born with their sexuality, it is not a choice.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machampion View Post
We're never going to have a answer for homosexuality in America, America is not a country for one, it's a country for all, therefore it has so many voters, views and opinions that it'll never truly be determined whether homosexuality is allowed or not, there are just too many selfish people that are only interested in their own views to truly be fair about anything. It's the US...

In my opinion I would allow it as long as it doesn't turn into a religious rally and have a group trying to force a religion upon (or in this case, sexuality) another person. Sexuality is something that should not be controlled, people are born with their sexuality, it is not a choice.
America is what the U.S is commonly referred as. Semantics is not welcome.

Why not? Would you feel the same way when women, African Americans, and Asian Americans were given their rights? The U.S came very close to forcing religions to accept a multiracial clergy. This is the same issue as it was then. Religions will either evolve to accept the current conditions, or die with the rest of their Middle Age pseudomorality.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Dentures Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Dentures

There is nothing in the Bible that condemns non-Whites so it yes, it would be relatively simple to end the xenophobic diatribes that so graciously proliferated American culture. But nonetheless, there 'are' things in the Bible, although horribly misinterpreted and skewed from what the actual canon dictated, that condemn homosexuality and sodomy.

Also, the Church is really the voice of the People, and it always has been. The people go to church to hear how they should live their lives, and thus the church dictates how the American people believe. If the church believes it wrong to copulate with another of the same sex, the people surely will follow in their ideals as well.

It's crowd control. Keep the masses ignorant and subdued.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentures View Post
There is nothing in the Bible that condemns non-Whites so it yes, it would be relatively simple to end the xenophobic diatribes that so graciously proliferated American culture. But nonetheless, there 'are' things in the Bible, although horribly misinterpreted and skewed from what the actual canon dictated, that condemn homosexuality and sodomy.

Also, the Church is really the voice of the People, and it always has been. The people go to church to hear how they should live their lives, and thus the church dictates how the American people believe. If the church believes it wrong to copulate with another of the same sex, the people surely will follow in their ideals as well.

It's crowd control. Keep the masses ignorant and subdued.
No, not specific races are specified. The Bible, however, supports slavery and racism.

Churches also evolve when their power or existence is threatened. For instance, the Church of Latter Day Saints and their position on African American clergy. Suddenly, a "divine" revelation occurs when the government threatens their tax exempt status. The same will eventually apply when homosexual marriage is legalized, and they will, of course, receive a "divine" revelation.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Exophi Offline

Send a message via MSN to Exophi

Gay Canadian here.

Unfortunately, I grew up in an area that happens to have held the record for most churches per capita in Canada. So while marriage is still legal where I live, such heathenish behaviour is not really accepted.

Ethics will vary from one individual to the next. As lovely as it would be, no one will ever be able to come up with a set of rules separating right from wrong that everyone can live by.

But telling a person that they cannot behave in a way that is perfectly natural to them, and doesn't harm anyone doesn't seem right to me.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I'll pop into this!

In my opinion, homosexuality won't be accepted for a while, mainly because of the Christian beliefs. This religion won't be going out of style anytime soon. Mexico has has accepted gay marriage, so the US is currently far behind the other countries in positive progress.

It's like racism in the US almost 200 years ago. It's over for the most part, but there are still some hick racists out there. You'll never get everyone to accept it. Most certainly not ethically. I honestly don't care if gays get married. It's none of my business. They can if they want to, why not? What do you care? It doesn't affect you at all! That's my reasoning. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky
No, not specific races are specified. The Bible, however, supports slavery and racism.
And those hick racists are usually Christians. They go by the belief of the Bible, which does support slavery and racism. Along with straight marriage only. My opinion on that quote is it is absolutely true.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky
The problem with the Bible, I find, is that it reflects the beliefs of people during the time it was written. Attitudes towards race have only recently begun to improve, and slavery was a major problem these past hundred years, I believe. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize this, and so use the Bible as an excuse to be racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. Conversely, a lot of people use lines in the Bible as an argument against Christianity, which again, may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christian in question.

If only the Bible could be updated. :P
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 AM
rockon4life93 Offline

Sometimes countries don't support gay to maintain the peace
Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etymology View Post
The problem with the Bible, I find, is that it reflects the beliefs of people during the time it was written. Attitudes towards race have only recently begun to improve, and slavery was a major problem these past hundred years, I believe. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize this, and so use the Bible as an excuse to be racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. Conversely, a lot of people use lines in the Bible as an argument against Christianity, which again, may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christian in question.

If only the Bible could be updated. :P
If only people could realize the man-made cult they follow.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

@Teddiursa of the Sky: If the Bible were to promote only positive values, would you really have any problem with Christianity (or other religions, I'm not sure which you seem to be against)? Of course, that's subject to opinion in what is considered a 'positive value', but you get my point. In essence, I could describe a religion that promotes what one could consider 'correct morals and ethics' with the only major factor being the belief in a deity. Would followers of such a religion be much different from you and I, and would they bother you as much?

Sometimes I wonder if a new, modern religion could be made to promote fair and just social standards. *Shrug* Who knows. But even then there would be many that'd disagree.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 PM
rockon4life93 Offline

I think there's an anti-religious vitriol in this thread.