Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Stories

Stories Write a story to catch Pokemon. A Grader will then decide if it catches or not.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Default Summer Writing Competition 2012.

WELCOME TO THE SUMMER
WRITING COMPETITION.

Yes, here we are again: the Summer Writing Competition, one of two biannual writing contests in this section, courtesy of the URPG Graders. This event is the chance for any member of the URPG to show off their skills as an author, and have a shot at fame, glory and exaltation -- and a Legendary Pokémon! Yes, even if they do suck stegosaurus eggs.

How do you participate? No how, just do! Write a story and post it up just like any other story, but be sure to tag on the label [SWC] in the title so we graders know what we're looking for. Be sure to post your story on only ONE forum, however. You might confuse us if you post your story in two or more places at once. :< Before you submit the story in this thread (i.e. link it in here as a real submission for SWC), your story must be graded and result in a successful capture. We're just meanieheads like that. Additionally, you can write as many stories as you like, but only one can be your final submission for SWC.

Normal story regulations apply. OH YES. As usual, there is no limit on length, so you can write however much you want to.

Got something done already? Sure, that's great. [s]CHEATER.[/s] You don't have anything done? Hey, that's cool. You have about 31 days (a month, to all you silly people out there) to write the best possible story you feel you can.

Good luck!
Guidelines:
  • You have from July 1st until August 1st to submit entries.
    Only stories posted during that time-frame are eligible for the competition. There will be time allotted after the end of the deadline for final grading, and to give potential voters a chance to read your story before voting begins.
  • Only members of URPG can participate. If you're looking at this thread and want to participate, but you're not a URPG member... go join and then come back here. :>
  • Write as many stories as you want, but only one of them can be your final submission. Choose carefully.
  • In order to qualify for the SWC, your story MUST be graded, and it MUST result in a successful capture.
  • Your entry must be no longer than 150,000 characters.
  • HEY, ADVICE: As always, quality over quantity. Length is in no way an indicator of success.
Prizes:
  • The winner will get a Legendary Pokémon of their choice and 10,000.
  • Second place will receive a hearty pat on the back, a Complex Pokémon of their choice and 8,000.
  • Third place will obtain a Hard Pokémon of their choosing and 5,000 for their valiant effort.
Prizes are subject to change and whatnot, depending on the amount of entries.
Past Victors:
1. Jag.
2. Marth.
3. Shroomish.
4. Jack of Clovers.
5. Fair.
6. Neo Pikachu.
7. DaRkUmBrEoN.
8. Pokemon Trainer Sarah.
9. Seawolf.
10. DaRkUmBrEoN.
11. Seawolf.
12. Tyranitar_Trainer.
13. Fever.
14. Phantom Kat.
15. Bryce.
16. Sequentio.
17. Kai-Mei.
18. Natorei.
19. Kai-Mei.
20. MagikChicken.
21. UM. YOUR SOCK?
Voting:
  • You need to be a member of the URPG in order to vote.
  • Voting duration/rounds are to be determined once it gets closer to the deadline and stories are graded.
  • When voting, send me a Private Message entitled something to the effect of 'SWC Story Votes'. It's so I don't have to filter through things to find what I'm looking for.
  • Voters get 3,000 for each round, although it might change.
  • When voting, vote for your favourite story, not your favourite person. No-one likes it when people win based on popularity. Voting for the best story ensures that the competition is kept fair, and that winners are selected because of their talent, rather than their relative popularity.
  • If you have a story entered, you can still vote -- even in the round your story is featured in. What's not permitted, however, is voting for yourself.
When all stories have been submitted, the competition begins for real. There will be a few preliminary rounds, and then a final round. Each round, there will be a number of stories up for voting (how many in each round depends on the amount of entries, of course). The winner of each preliminary round is then entered for the final round, where the ultimate winners of those glorious prizes above are chosen by voters. In every round, any voter is to PM me their top three favourite stories -- with 1 being your most favourite, and 3 being your least favourite.

When voting, you need a summary of the stories you're voting. The summaries must be at least one or two sentences to prove that you've actually read the stories. If you've submitted votes without summaries, your votes are not going to count, and you're not going to get paid for voting.

A week after the voting for that round starts, the votes will be tallied, and scores made out of them. When you vote for a story as your most favourite, you're giving them 3 points, and when you're voting for a story as your least favourite, you're giving them only 1 point. Second favourites get 2 points. If you've submitted a story and it's in a particular round, if you vote in that round, you get an extra 3 points. Isn't that nice? Whoever gets the highest score is the winner of that round.
Stories:
Summer Snow by SORMEKI.
The Murderer of the Moors by BLAZEMASTER.
Liquid Heat by ARCTIC PENGUIN.
Heart of the Forest by PRINCESS CROW.
Revelations by GMANDIDDY.
Rotom by NITRO.
The Smokeless Fire by HUSHIE.
The Desert Traveller by JAKE434.
The Slowpoke Challenge by YELLOWMAGIKARP.
The Lion Sleeps Tonight by SMILES.
The Frost Games by LUCIOLE.
Agent X by EMBREON.
The Ultimate Story: 24 -- The First Domino by JACK OF CLOVERS.
New Intel by GLISCORMAN.
Exodus by ROULETTE.
Valiant by SLC04.
A Day in the Life by AIRIK.
Whistle While You Work by ZOLAR.
Feel free to ask any questions. Happy writing!

Last edited by Buoyysel; 08-03-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers
Default Re: Summer Writing Competition 2012.

24- The First Domino

-| Links |-
Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Okay, submissions are closed. Thank you to everyone who took the time to submit something -- it's very much appreciated, and I'm glad to see that I don't have to extend the deadline. It's promising to be a very exciting competition, and we'll have to see how it turns out!

edit: Somehow everything got immensely screwed up. We're doing three rounds of five and then one of three. SORTED.

Without any further ado, here is the FIRST ROUND:
Quote:
Summer Snow by SORMEKI.
Liquid Heat by ARCTIC PENGUIN.
Revelations by GMANDIDDY.
The Smokeless Fire by HUSHIE.
The Slowpoke Challenge by YELLOWMAGIKARP.
Look to the first post for the guidelines on voting, and remember to PM all votes to me (Buoy on BMG; Buoysel on TPW; Buoyysel on PE2K). The deadline for your votes is August 10th at 23:59 GMT. Happy voting!

Last edited by Buoyysel; 08-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Buoyysel Offline

The round has been edited due to screw-ups with the submissions somehow. Resubmit votes if necessary.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Okay, looks like I managed to scrape some internet access... so RESULTS.

Summer Snow | 3 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 3 (+3) = 28
Liquid Heat | 1 + 2 = 3
Revelations | 2 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 1 (+3) = 18
The Smokeless Fire | 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 (+3) = 12
The Slowpoke Challenge | 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 (+3) = 10

Our winner this round is the inestimable Sormeki! Good job on such a well-written story, and we'll see you in the final round. You can claim 5k for your endeavours. :>

Thank you also to our wonderful voters this time around:
Joltik
Sormeki
GliscorMan
Yellow Magikarp
Princess Crow
Elite Twit
Hushie
Smiles
Luciole
Jack of Clovers

You can all claim 3k for your own efforts! Hushie, you did submit late, but I'm allowing it seeing as I thought I was going to be without internet access until Monday evening anyway.

Yes, Sormeki, you get to claim this 3k as well. :>

Here comes ROUND TWO:
Quote:
The Murderer of the Moors by BLAZEMASTER.
Heart of the Forest by PRINCESS CROW.
Rotom by NITRO.
The Desert Traveller by JAKE434.
Agent X by EMBREON.
Your votes are due in by 19th August 2012 at 11:59PM GMT.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Time for Round Two's results!

The Murderer of the Moors | 1 + 1 = 2.
Heart of the Forest | 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 (+3) = 10.
Rotom | 2 + 2 + 1 + 3 (+3) = 11.
The Desert Traveller | 1 = 1.
Agent X | 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 12.

The winner of this round by just one point is the timeless EmBreon! An experienced writer, she knows how to please an audience with her tales. Hopefully we'll see another positive response to her in the next round! Good job, Emma, and you can take 5k for your hard work.

A big thanks goes to the voters for this round:
Joltik
Nitro
Princess Crow
Smiles
Jack of Clovers

All of you can claim 3k for voting! Hopefully all of you will vote in the next round as well.

Coming next is ROUND THREE! Are you excited? I know I am.

Quote:
The Lion Sleeps Tonight by SMILES.
The Ultimate Story: 24 -- The First Domino by JACK OF CLOVERS.
New Intel by GLISCORMAN.
Exodus by ROULETTE.
Your votes are due by 27th August 2012 at 11:59PM GMT. I'd like to see more than five people voting this time. :<
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Buoyysel Offline

extended until 1st September.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Hi! Here are the results of round three!

The Lion Sleeps Tonight | 2 + 2 + 1 (+3) = 8.
The Frost Games | 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 (+3) = 18.
The Ultimate Story [24] | 1 + 2 + 3 (+3) = 9.
New Intel | 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 (+3) = 8.
Exodus | 2 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 11.

The winner of round three is Luciole! Although relatively new to URPG, Luciole's story, The Frost Games, has clearly hit a chord with our voters. With a clear-cut victory, he shows great promise for the future. Keep at it, Luciole, and we'll see you in the final! You can claim 5k. :>

A special thanks, as always, to our voters:
Smiles
Luciole
EmBreon
Jack of Clovers
Gliscorman
Joltik
Princess Crow

Post here to collect 3k for your work.

And, suddenly, it's the fourth and final preliminary round!

Here are the stories:
Quote:
Valiant by SLC04.
Whistle While You Work by ZOLAR
There aren't many this time, so I'm expecting lots of votes. DON'T DISAPPOINT ME. :< (If your story is in this round and you want to vote, just vote for the other two in order of preference.)

Votes due in by 9th September, 2012 at 11:59PM GMT.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Hi! Here are the results of round three!

The Lion Sleeps Tonight | 2 + 2 + 1 (+3) = 8.
The Frost Games | 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 (+3) = 18.
The Ultimate Story [24] | 1 + 2 + 3 (+3) = 9.
New Intel | 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 (+3) = 8.
Exodus | 2 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 11.

The winner of round three is Luciole! Although relatively new to URPG, Luciole's story, The Frost Games, has clearly hit a chord with our voters. With a clear-cut victory, he shows great promise for the future. Keep at it, Luciole, and we'll see you in the final! You can claim 5k. :>

A special thanks, as always, to our voters:
Smiles
Luciole
EmBreon
Jack of Clovers
Gliscorman
Joltik
Princess Crow

Post here to collect 3k for your work.

And, suddenly, it's the fourth and final preliminary round!

Here are the stories:
Quote:
Valiant by SLC04.
Whistle While You Work by ZOLAR
There aren't many this time, so I'm expecting lots of votes. DON'T DISAPPOINT ME. :< (If your story is in this round and you want to vote, just vote for the other two in order of preference.)

Votes due in by 9th September, 2012 at 11:59PM GMT.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

As it should be. Congrats Luciole. Good to see a Petalburg member represented in the final.

-| Links |-
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Extended until 17th September 2012 @ 11:59PM GMT.

VOTE MORE.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Buoyysel Offline

Sorry I'm late, guys! I got sick. ;<

Valiant | 3 + 1 + 2 + 2 (+3) = 11.
Whistle While You Work | 3 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 1 = 9.
A Day In The Life | 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 3 = 10.

Our winner, by a whisker, is SLC04! While being a bit of a nubface, SLC04 seems to have impressed a few readers with his story -- at least, enough for him to progress to the final round! SLC, congratulations on your victory. You can claim 5k here, and we'll see you in the final round!

Thanks, again, to our voters:
SLC04.
Joltik.
Princess Crow.
Luciole.
Jack of Clovers.

You can all collect 3k for your participation! n_n.

And, just like that, it's the FINAL ROUND!

Quote:
Summer Snow by SORMEKI.
Agent X by EMBREON.
Valiant by SLC04.
You all have two weeks to vote. That means that your votes are due in by October 4th, 2012 at 11:59PM GMT.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Buoyysel Offline

I'm pleased to say that we have sufficient votes! I know I took quite a while to post these final results, but I'm sort of sick at the moment.

Before I announce our winners, I'd like to thank everyone who wrote a story for the SWC, and the people who voted throughout the different rounds. Thanks to Scourge for allowing me to host this year -- it's been a pleasure. At the start, I thought it was going to be nothing short of a disaster, but then the stories and participants began to roll in towards the end of the submission dates, which showed me a lot of promise.

You guys made SWC 2012 something fantastic, and there've been some close moments (like Nitro losing out to EmBreon by a point ;p). No matter where you've placed in this competition, you're still a winner, and there will always be more opportunities in the future to improve and show off your skills in writing.

Right now, however, it's time for the results.

In third place is SLCalamity! His story, Valiant, gained him 6 points -- an amount befitting for a dork of his stature. Congratulations, SLC! You can post here to collect a Hard-rank Pokémon and 5,000. By the way, I noticed something in the OP... I said that third place will get [prize] for their 'valiant' effort. SORRY, GUYS, I MUST HAVE RIGGED IT.

In second place is Luciole! His story, named The Frost Games, was well-written and saw him boosted into the final round, to the surprise of many of the older members. He gained 14 points. :> I'm glad we have a representative of PWN in the competition and, indeed, on the podium! Good job, Luciole! You can take a Complex-rank Pokémon of your choice and 8,000. *pats on the back heartily*

And our winner is EmBreon, with a whopping 17 points! Her tale of Agent X was coined by many as the winner, even before the competition began. It seems that their claims were not unfounded, as she is standing on the top spot. Splendiferously marvellous work, EmBreon! You can post here to select a Legendary Pokémon (!) to keep for a year from this post, so long as it's not already taken, and you also get 10,000. Nifty!

A special hand goes to our voters for this round:
Princess Crow
EmBreon
Backslash
Joltik
Smiles
Jack of Clovers

All of these except for Princess Crow, Joltik and Jack of Clovers can collect 3k. These three people get a more special prize instead. All three of them have voted steadfastly in every round since the beginning, and I'm going to recognise that by allowing them to claim 6k instead.

And now, at the beginning of October, our Summer Writing Competition has finally drawn to a close. Thank you all once again.

Keep aiming to be the top Pokéathlete! That is...

POKÉATHLON FOREVER!

What do you mean, 'it's the wrong line'? Oh, right! Silly me. Nevermind. I'll see all of you guys on the flipside. :>
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Congrats Emma. Glad to see you bag a win in this competition.

-| Links |-