Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Sircry Offline

Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

I'll be honest, its hard for me to grasp the concept of gay marriage. That is, to open my mind about it. Its harder because its how I was raised and taught. But I don't think that defines how someone thinks. I want to try and be more open-minded and thoughtful to it. Not just parroting what ive been told and taught.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sircry View Post
I agree with the government 's action.

The difference I'm seeing is that in Scripture, it doesn't, as far as I know, question interracial relations, as King Solomon married a woman of different race. Though, to be fair, he wasnt a model of perfect behavior.

I'm not saying or implying gay marriage is basically wrong. What I'm trying to get at is that a church, mosque, or any religious institution shouldn't be forced to accept a decision which violates their basic written beliefs, the exception being groups like WBC who invent or interpret in a way that specifically is targeted for hate.

If a church openly accepts the marriage and sanctions it of their own accord, fine. The members that don't like it can leave. But institutions shouldn't have THEIR rights infringed upon just as homosexuals shouldn't have theirs. In my church, the pastor rejects marriages at times that he doesn't believe fit the sanctity of the beliefs the MLS follows.

I like this discussion board. Its stimulating and this is opening my mind a bit. Giving me a new way to see it and think about it.
I am not necessarily addressing Christianity, but we cannot rely purely on one interpretation of scripture. There are several instances in which people of another race are abused within the majority of religious texts, so is that morally justifiable?

Why not? The government has every right to withhold the tax exemption until they comply with basic social rules. How is it any different from the Mormon's refusal of interracial marriages and black members?

You act as though, as long as it is religion, it is exempt from federal or state laws. Let me ask you, do you believe the federally instituted ban on polygamy is justified? And do they have the right to impose it on religious institutions? If so, why?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sircry View Post
I'll be honest, its hard for me to grasp the concept of gay marriage. That is, to open my mind about it. Its harder because its how I was raised and taught. But I don't think that defines how someone thinks. I want to try and be more open-minded and thoughtful to it. Not just parroting what ive been told and taught.
What you believe defines who you are. You are correct, you have very little control as a child over what you believe. However, as I am quickly progressing through my final teenage year, I squandered no time in educating myself with both sides of the spectrum to more fully understand the world. I find it a sorrowful mistake, that ultimately effects me through federal and state policy-making, that so many people refuse to attempt to review several sources of information and persist in a belief or action simply because of tradition.

So are you telling me that it's acceptable to reject homosexual marriage within religion simply because it is a tradition? Or are you telling me that people cannot help it if that is the way they are raised? If that is so, I am living proof that the latter is untrue. If you are implying the prior, that is not a sufficient reason to reject facts and progressiveness is favor of comfort and familiarity. In a country where we can both freely access the internet, I am willing to scrutinize any similar position.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 12-21-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
What you believe defines who you are. You are correct, you have very little control as a child over what you believe. However, as I am quickly progressing through my final teenage year, I squandered no time in educating myself with both sides of the spectrum to more fully understand the world. I find it a sorrowful mistake, that ultimately effects me through federal and state policy-making, that so many people refuse to attempt to review several sources of information and persist in a belief or action simply because of tradition.

So are you telling me that it's acceptable to reject homosexual marriage within religion simply because it is a tradition? Or are you telling me that people cannot help it if that is the way they are raised? If that is so, I am living proof that the latter is untrue. If you are implying the prior, that is not a sufficient reason to reject facts and progressiveness is favor of comfort and familiarity. In a country where we can both freely access the internet, I am willing to scrutinize any similar position.
A good explanation is that when most people are young, they are more flexible in what their beliefs are. Over time, their beliefs become more solid. This "final product"--which, though changeable, is harder to change as an adult than a child--is a mixture of the person's environment and his reaction to it. That could include how he's raised, what school he goes to, or whatever. Imagine someone raised in a town where homosexuality is almost unheard of because it is denounced so much. Perhaps that person leaves in the town for the first time at age 30. It's going to be tough for this person to change his beliefs when he leaves right? It's like learning languages. Easy as a child, and when you're growing up around it, harder later, and when you're further displaced from it.

So yes, for some people, it is hard to grasp the idea of certain concepts like gay marriage. If that is how they are raised and what they consequentially choose to follow as adults, so be it.

Also, if you did, you should try to avoid double posting.

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 12-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.