Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Default Re: Pokemon X and Y starter types revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
No where does it say Bulbasaur is an amphibian. :( It definitely doesn't spend part of its life in water! People relate it to frogs for some reason, but I don't see the resemblence, physically or behaviourally. It is more of a dinosaur, which are reptiles. Chikorita is nothing that exists, but evolves into Bayleef and Meganium which are sauropods, as Judgmental Arceus said.
Thinking about it, Chikorita kinda looks like a komodo dragon

But bulbasaur is a frog, even if its name has saur in it, and it evolves into a huge fat toad.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
But bulbasaur is a frog, even if its name has saur in it, and it evolves into a huge fat toad.
How is Bulbasaur a frog?

The definition of amphibian is "a cold-blooded vertebrate animal of a class that comprises the frogs, toads, newts, salamanders, and caecilians. They are distinguished by having an aquatic gill-breathing larval stage followed (typically) by a terrestrial lung-breathing adult stage."
http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/amphibian

The bold part is what characterises an amphibian. To be an amphibian it needs to have a stage of its life in water, which it clearly doesn't.

Venusaur is more like a Dicynodont than a toad. Even then, it's hard enough to try to classify one Pokemon into some kind of earth species. It's almost impossible when taking into account a whole evolutionary line, because Pokemon don't follow our rules of nature. You have eggs evolving into trees, fish into dragons, sheep into kangaroos, fish into octopuses, clams into dolphins...

Mammals, amphibians, reptiles etc. don't even exist in the Pokemon world. But all of the Grass starters before Chespin were based on earth reptiles.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Chikorita is no mammal either. xD

Spoiler:

Not Meganium's long neck, triangular tail, etc.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
goldwynaut Offline

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah: I don't really think gamefreak would bother too much about the life cycle of amphibians, the thing you posted does not resemble Bulbasaur
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Popshakes Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
@Pokemon Trainer Sarah: I don't really think gamefreak would bother too much about the life cycle of amphibians, the thing you posted does not resemble Bulbasaur
"Other than a lack of a tail, and with visible ears and no genuine metamorphosis stage (evolution aside), Venusaur does not have much in common with amphibians like frogs and toads (which metamorphose from one definite creature into another as they mature as opposed to just growing into a larger adult version of itself the way that Venusaur does); instead, it more closely resembles reptiles like lizards and tuataras." - Bulbapedia

That seems to represent Bulbasuar, Ivysaur, and Venusaur's body structure pretty spot on. I really don't know how you possibly do not see this. :p

To be honest, I really like the structure of Chespin so far. :D It feels different due to the brown coloring and mammalian structure but I personally like it! I'm pretty excited to see now what their final typings will be as they evolve. The anticipation is too much. :p

♥ Jolteon Lover ♥

Last edited by Popshakes; 01-18-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Gadian Offline

I think fennekin is fire\psychic as we saw it use something closely resembling extrasensory or confusion.

As for the bulbargument, {see what I did there?} I've always thought bulbasaur was a dinosaur because of the spots that {to me} resembled scales
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popshakes View Post
"Other than a lack of a tail, and with visible ears and no genuine metamorphosis stage (evolution aside), Venusaur does not have much in common with amphibians like frogs and toads
TL;DR, but personally i link this thing to Venusaur

I have also yet to see a lizard that is round as it is long, something that venusaur appears to be, it is also a poison type, which may link it to the toxic frog, but it may also link it to a poisonous lizard, also, bulbasaur and all its evolutions have spotted skin, something that few reptiles have, but is common in frogs.