Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Art Gallery

Art Gallery A picture is worth one thousand words. Grab your brush and catch some Pokemon!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 AM
TheProtobabe Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheProtobabe Send a message via Skype™ to TheProtobabe
Default Re: Breaking New Ground

Curating Joltik, Part One

Spoiler:
Overall

Okay so, I’m noticing a marked improvement from drawing to drawing. You’re getting better at shading, colors, and you’re playing around with other elements like Joltik’s reflection here. I like this, it’s so adorable I just want to hug it!

Dynamics

I love what you’ve done here! The outlines on everything are crisp and neat, even those without physically drawn outlines. You use color changes and shading to give everything a clear outline. With Joltik himself, the lines are tapered and thinner where they need to be to give it that natural feeling. I like that you used a water droplet to show his face instead of having a ‘normal’ pose we see all the time here on URPG, as well. The fact that you have his back to us is also very cool; it shows that you think about the entire Pokemon as a whole and not just what we see all the time in the anime and games. I do think that the background here is rather boring and dull behind the leaf itself; I would have preferred to see a forest or a lake or something to complete the image and give it that polished feel. Also, some of the lines look a little shaky, especially around the water droplet and at the top curve of the leaf. Try smoothing those out in your next drawings.

Colors/Shading

This is the coolest part of this. Your bright color choices, with the bright yellow of Joltik against a soft green leaf on a light blue background make for a pleasing sight for my eyes. The fade in the water droplet to show a reflection, mixed with the partial clearness of the blue water upon a green leaf is show very well here. I also note the blended, gradient colors on Joltik himself, the leaf, and the droplet. It looks very natural and makes for subtle realism. I also like the consistency in shading, and the use of the shading to make Joltik’s fuzz stand out a bit more. Things I could say about some of the color, though, that you could possibly work on: the leaf veins should probably be darker, not lighter, and they’re a bit thick and too faded to be realistic. Leaf veins are dark and show up better than the leaf parts themselves. I also think the background needed something other than a monochromatic, non gradient color.

Pokemon Accuracy

Joltik is perfectly accurate, even his fuzzy little butt.

Advice

1. Give your background more layers; behind this leaf needed to be a forest or something to give this image continuity.
2. Watch the outlines of your stuff that doesn’t have a marked, black outline. I’m noticing that it’s a bit wobbly and shaky, though not by a large margin. For perfect curves, try a paths tool for guidance?
3. Research the objects you are drawing and make sure to make them look as they are supposed to in nature. While you are exceptionally good at drawing these things, I feel like you could take that extra step and look up the material to make something really stand out.

SCORE

Definitely giving you a 60/100 here for amazing color blending, excellent use of background, drawing a Pokemon from the back AND front, and clean, flawless artwork. Keep drawing, Gun!

Curating Joltik, Part Two

Spoiler:
Overall

Can I just say, I want to hug this tiny bug. I love the use of soft color and the irresistible look on Joltik’s face! Everything is also so neat and precise, which is probably one of my favorite things about your art.

Dynamics

Excellent outlines again, and an adorable little mini story/background here. You like bugs on pillows, apparently, but that doesn’t make this one any less good. I like some of the fine details here, on Joltik with his fur, and on the pillow itself with that little yellow stitching pattern you draw in. However, one thing that sort of bugs (lol) me about this drawing is that the outlines on Joltik are particularly thick, especially when compared to the first drawing, and the rest of the background has no outline at all. While it worked for the drawing before, since Joltik had very thin outlines, this one seems a bit out of place. I also think you could do with coloring the outlines a darker color than the actual color of your subject, much like Disney and other artists do with their art. It adds a polished look and seems less harsh. For continuity in this drawing, I think either everything needed an outline or you needed to tone down Joltik’s outline.

Colors/Shading

The color choices here are very good. The purpley pink of the pillow makes Joltik’s body stand out a little more thanks to opposing colors on the color wheel. The shading is all consistent, and I notice that you used it to show some wrinkles in the sheets under the pillow on the left. The gradient here is a bit more cartoony on Joltik himself while the other things look more faded in, though it’s not a huge difference. It’s just something I noticed. I also think you could have made a couple of layers of darker shading directly under the pillow and under Joltik for depth, and some outwardly drawn shading indicating a dent in the pillow would have worked here better, like you did for Venipede. One small nitpick as well is that the shading on Joltik doesn’t vary on his face and on the fur of his right leg as we look at him. His lips/mouth should probably have been left mostly brighter or had the shading follow the ‘U’ shapes to show the dimensions, and the fur on the right should have differed from the rest of the smoother, straight leg.

Pokemon Accuracy

Yup, he looks good, including the proportions and even all down to the shapes of his fur.

Advice

1. Tone down the outlines if you aren’t going to give everything an outline. Maybe use a thinner brush next time or try for outlines around everything. I suggest colored outlines, but you may not prefer that method.
2. Vary your shading to the shape of the object for proper depth/dimension.
3. Add a few more dark layers of shading to your drawing for even more dimension, and use the shading to your advantage for dent lines etc.

SCORE

55/100, which means Joltik is caught!

Last edited by TheProtobabe; 04-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 PM
gun6 Offline

Send a message via AIM to gun6

Pokemon: Litwick
Difficulty: Hard 60+ 60+
A/N: It's been a while since I've drawn stuff. ;-;
The first drawing was a practice in perspective and drawing backgrounds. The second drawing was a practice in lineless artwork and I wanted to make something kind of cute-but-spooky. Both pieces of art were somewhere around 2-2 1/2 hours to complete individually.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM
TheProtobabe Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheProtobabe Send a message via Skype™ to TheProtobabe

Curating Hoothoot

Spoiler:
Overall

I really like how dark this is, and the lighting effects you used to emphasize the Pokemon here. It’s very calm and soothing, and gives the sense that Hoothoot is a sort of watcher in the night.

Dynamics

The pose and story behind this are really nonexistent, but for such a simplistic subject drawing, you’ve really maxed out how well you can create a great, simple image. I love the flowing lines and smoothness of this piece. It just feels... serene, and maybe a little bit moody. I would say that Hoothoot looks a little creepy by staring at the viewer, but he really doesn’t. I just get the impression that he’s just looking, sitting there and being comfortable just chilling there next to the viewer. I do think that the moon needed a few more details, though; perhaps a few pockmarks and a hazier edge? It just, doesn’t really look like the moon and is a bit distracting from the image overall.

Colors/Shading

The colors are subdued thanks to the night sky, with the moon being the only source of light. I see wonderful use of gradients and lighting effects, as well as very good shading. I really like the gradient eye highlights; it makes his eyes look round and 3-dimensional, and gives a more realistic impression that he’s looking at us. The illumination on the left side is good, too; the hazy light and blurry edges are accurately represented as to what we see with our eyes in real life, as well. I do think you could have used the light in more places or brightened it even more, thanks to the full moon, and I also think that bright moonlight would highlight more bumps and edges of the clouds. Overall, though, your coloring is my favorite thing about this piece.

Pokemon Accuracy

Everything about Hoothoot is spot-on here, though I could pick on the leg a little bit. In the original art, it shows that his leg is a bit thinner, with the foot being the thick part.

Advice

1. Blend and add texture to your background a bit more. The moon in this could have some pockmarks and a bit more of a ‘halo’, or blurred edge, and the clouds could have been illuminated more to show their fluffy edges.
2. Take advantage of your light sources; I really feel that you could have exploited the illumination on the edge of Hoothoot nearest the moonlight, to make him look more realistically backlit. The moon is surprisingly bright when it’s full.

SCORE
This gets a 50/100, meaning that Hoothoot is caught!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 AM
TheProtobabe Offline

Curating Lotad

Spoiler:
Overall

Overall, this is a bit more simple than the last few images you’ve uploaded, but still solid. I’m also seeing a pattern of soft color palettes and sharp, non-bordered edges in a lot of places, as well as good gradients and shading. This one is like a captured moment in the Lotad’s day, just scooting out of the water for one reason or another. Very nice!

Dynamics

I like your style of keeping things un-outlined in black to give it a crisp, semi-realistic edge that is unique to your style. I wonder, though, why you wouldn’t give the same treatment to Lotad, who seems a simple enough ‘mon to try that technique on. However, the setup of this image and great background make that detail pretty minor. This is fairly simple at first glance, but as I look more into it, I see your use of gradients, fine white lines for highlights in the clear, calm water, and ‘muddiness’ of the silt near the waterbanks. I really like this!

Colors/Shading

As I said in the beginning, the colors are soft and muted, looking more ‘natural’ than a lot of canon Pokemon artwork. It’s relaxing to the eyes and puts the viewer in a sort of calm mood. I also get the sense that it’s about to rain, with the grayness reflection of the water and the general dullness of the colors. Your mood setting is excellent in this piece. The gradients are a nice touch in the sand leading to the water, as well as the color change in the reeds. I also like the dim reflections in the water that fade out under the rocks in the back and the reeds closer to the viewer. I do think that you could have used some shading on those reeds and perhaps a few more more details on Lotad himself. He seems to be a bit... plain, especially his little lily pad on his head. I think you could have used a bit more ‘grass’ or ‘leaf vein’ pattern in certain colors.

Pokemon Accuracy

Lotad looks correct! He’s not a complicated little guy, but you’ve got his shape and size spot on here as well as his few details.

Advice

1. Try using less black outlining on your subjects; i.e., the Lotad in this picture. It’s your strong suit and I think you could pull that off like you did with that Gothorita image a while back.
2. A bit more shading can give more shape to your picture, like the reeds that seem a bit like a big blob of pointy grasses near Lotad. I also think you could use highlights to put leafy details on Lotad himself and put some grass/moss in the green blobs on the banks of the water.

SCORE

I give you a 50/100 for this picture, meaning that Lotad is caught.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Axion Offline

Litwick Cathedral
Overall, I like this image and the amount of work put into it is definitely noticeable. The colors of the image work and blend well together, creating an early morning feel based on the angle of the light and the dim, subdued blues/purples here. Since this was based on Litwick, seems quite appropriate. As you said that this was a practice drawing for environment, I'm going to start there.

First feature you carried throughout the image was the cathedral’s stained glass window. The light rays and pattern on the floor were very nicely done. Likewise, the shadows on the floor and light fallout follow the general, although the darker areas might be a little too dark. THe shading on the pillars also looks good. One point I noticed was where the tiles met the pillars. There definitely could have been more transition here, or a better alignment between the tile edges and the pillars. Most pillars in construction like this had a small square base that was the same size as one tile, so that the masons did not have to cut the tile at odd curves and sizes. The other critique is the lack of texture or detail on Litwick’s beam. For something so close to the front of the image, it looks like a flat plastic piece, not what one would expect in a cathedral-styled building. Something to break up the floor might have been good, but that won't affect anything.

Next up, Litwick. Overall proportion, detail, and form are good. The flame on its head is a bit small. Also, most if not all source images show a secondary circle of darker coloration surrounding the flame on top of the head, which seems to be missing in this image. Only other complaint would be the solid-colored halo you added to the flame. Would have preferred to see it fade off, or be absent from the image, as it takes away from the anime realism somewhat.

In the end, its a good image that shows Litwick and its friends living in a very nice building, and with a few improvements could be a top quality pic.

Score:
65/100

Litwick Graveyard
Good litwick, Im not here to catch y... RUN AWAY!

You have managed to completely capture how scary a ghost type can be, while still being ridiculously cute. I'm not sure if it wants to hug me or steal my soul. I’ll start the curating with Litwick this time, as it is almost the entirety of the image.

Interesting pose, which definitely tells the viewer that Litwick is moving forward, preparing to grab whatever we happen to be. The proportions and shape are again good on the pokemon. The added small melted wax drops are a nice addition that makes Litwick more dynamic and more akin to its candle-based roots. Around the edges of the pokemon itself, you have a light halo. Not sure why, but it personally seems to be out of place as it doesnt follow the entire body and just that upper portion. Some of the shading could have been a tad smoother, this is most noticable on the arms. While the eye is big, that seems fine based on the creepy glow effect; it could very well be an attack, or ghostly power.

Very simplistic background on this image. The fence is a very easy yet fitting background for the small pokemon, a graveyard or haunted house setting. One improvement that might have been considered is more dynamics in the sky. The moon, or clouds in order to break up the monotony of the very light gradients that exist in it. Similarly with the grass, its very flat and featureless.

I think this image works good because, unlike your other images, you strayed away from outlining everything. It definitely allows the slightly blurred pokemon to have a better depth of field, and just added another hint or realism.

Score:
60/100

Litwick Caught!