Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 05-26-2004, 02:25 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Anime/Manga Review

You know it's the inevitable. We should have a sort of Anime/Manga review topic around here for people interested and might need some opinion on a certain manga.

Anyone can post here about any anime/manga series they've read/watched. But they should promptly follow these rules/guidelines:

1. It is a spoiler if it's not within the first 5 minutes of watching/reading the first episode/manga. Indicate that. Try not to have any info or hint that may spoil that anime/manga.

2. Full sentences. Period.

3. anime should be rated by the quality of the drawings, plot, characters, flow of animation, sound, and total enjoyment.
manga should be rated by pretty much the same things.

4. Intro statements and conclusion statements welcome. Final rating welcome.

5. If you haven't read/watched the entire manga/anime series, it would be nice to indicate where you are when you're writing the review. I mean, sometimes things can change and stuff as time moves on.

6. Type out the name of your anime/manga at the top! I mean they should KNOW what you're rating!

7. If there's another rate on a certain anime/manga that you want to rate, go ahead and rate it if you have a different opinion on it. It's not acceptable if you do a rating that basically says what another said.

8. Helpful is good. :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Readers:

If you're having trouble finding a certain anime/manga, hold ctrl + F and the search screen will show up (remember to let it finish loading first!). Type in the anime/manga name you're searching for and push enter. If the anime/manga name is there, you should be sent to the section/post.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:14 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Default Re: Anime/Manga Review

Well then, first one's MY pleasure.

Manga: Ichigo Mashinmaro
Read up to: Chapter 13, in Volume 2

Ichigo Mashinmaro (roughly translated to Strawberry Marshmallow) is about these 4 girls and their everyday lives. We take a look at Miu, Nobue, Chiku, and Matsuri and their lives. Nobue is the 16 year-old and older sister of Chiku. Miu is their next door neighebour (same age as Chiku). Matsuri is a cute little *crying* girl a year younger than Chiku and Miu.

Quality of the drawings

The drawing style of Ichigo Mashinmaro (IM) is gorgeous. So sometimes the girls look like they might need some touch-up here and there (I think mostly Nobue tho). Aside from that, it's very cute.

9/10

Plot

Well technically there IS not plot. I'd like to say that it's just basic random hijinx at this point. Also, it's about the everyday lives of the girls, so it makes sense not to have any sort of plot.

4/10

Characters

The development of the characters isn't really identified at such early stages of the manga. I'm not quite sure whether the characters are dynamic or not at this point, but they seem quite static and right now they seem quite 1-dimensional.

5/10

Originality

Okay. It's a bold move to just talk about 6 random girls, I give the author that much for it. And to add to the difficulty, it's about 6 random girls that somehow are connected by the stupidest of things (or stupid resolutions that they have...or just anything in general). So yeah, random is good.

10/10

Total enjoyment

For random hijinx, zany characters, no plot, and 1-dimensionalism, it's quite good. I think I enjoy it qutie a bit in an entertainment point of view. Then again, I'm satisfied with most manga to begin with. also, i notice NO nudity, which has become a refreshing and pleasant surprise. Also, I'm somehow reminded of the manga with the Goldfish and the school for some reason, which is really cool IMO (connections?).

9/10

Overall
7.4 or 37/50

An impressive scoring for such a random manga I must say. If it's not the zanyness (is that a word?) of the characters and the hilarious moments the characters cook up, I think the rating would have been at least 1 point lower. Anyway, a very solid manga that is highly suitable for manga beginners. Haven't seen manga before? Run to get this, it'll get you in sooner or later!

- Kenny C.002 aka Technochocolate 3000 (on Wednesdays)
May 27, 2004

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-02-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

Lol... okay... a new one then:

Anime: Galaxy Angels
Seen: whole 1st series, some of the 2nd series, only 1 on the 3rd series

Galaxy Angels is basically about 5 girls, Milfeulle Sakuraba, Ranpha Franboise, Forte Stollen, Mint Blancmanche and Vanilla H. They're part of the Angel Unit: a group dedicated on finding "lost technology"... as it says, the lost technology are "artifacts" that were used lost long time ago. Sometimes though, they also act as personal bodyguards, waitresses, retrievers, almost any occupation while there's no word on where to find the next "lost technology" can be found...

Quality of the drawings

The drawing style of GA is great, simply great. For funny moments, there may be some "scribbling", but its usually followed by a good voice-over and the show continues, you won't even bother by it. There is some CG graphics at some episodes where they use their "frames"; their own unique ships.

9/10

Plot

Although my intro sound like it has a plot... the SHOW, DOESN'T have a plot... nothing at all. They do do those things I said above, but they all do it comicaly... even though at times you think they're serious, later at some point, it becomes hilarious again. There is no plot, just everyday happenings on what's happening with the Angel-unit, and each "show" is only 15 minutes, then followed by another show, having no connection with the last one. They may sometimes look back on a scen before, but beside that, well... still, it IS pretty funny, and some episodes are actually helpful in real life... =P

8/10

Characters

Funny, each one has her own trait: Milfeulle is naive at times, but EXTREMELY lucky, Ranpha wants to get married with a rich handsome guy but usually gets confused on what to do in her future future, Forte is a gun-maniac and acts as the older sister of the group, Mint is a Cosplay maniac, sometimes acts an arbiter, sometimes just a victim, and Vanilla is very religious and quiet. Very dynamic... but as I saw the next seasons, they haven't changed a bit... just more antics, but even more funny =P

8/10

Originality

Well, in my experience, I haven't seen any other show that shows random "everyday lives" routine in an animé. There was one scene though that was a "rip-off", but it was hilarious. SPOILER: Rip-off was from .hack (a fairy from a fountain appears, and asks Mint if she lost "this" costume, or the other. Mint says she didn't lose any, the fairy rewards her with both... though she's trying to get away from costumes for that time.). Some scenes though are original. SPOILER (Forte, Ranpha and Mileufille are in another planet looking for a certain "lost technology", then a "mouse" appeared... which scared Forte (rat-phopia), and delayed their mission much.) Overall, balanced.

9/10

Sound

(Also includes the voicework) The sounds in GA are great, the seiyuus match their character's personality, and sound effects are also nice. Timing of the sounds are perfect. For the intro music, it maybe not suited for the type of person who doesn't like hyper cheery music with I think kids singing in the background, but I like it. Ending songs are mellow and relaxing though, still sorta like kids singing.

9/10

Overall
8.8 or 44/50

Well, GA's funny, period. It's purely comical, no storyline (although the manga and the game have a storyline with good vs. evil plot, it's SERIOUS, not much humour), but the overall humour of it just makes you forget your problems even just for a bit, and makes you see that life has it's nice moments =P ^^;

- Jet Williams
"Are you wandering between the void of Zero and Infinity???"
Old 05-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: Ichigo 100%
Read: English to volume 4 (somewhere), Chinese from chapter 90 (vol 10) to 108 (vol 11)
ESRP rating: Teen (13+) *It's considered quarter ecchi for me.
Genre: Romantic Comedy with ecchi

Ichigo 100% is translated as 100% Strawberries. As the manga translators say, "One guy, many girls...enough said".

Quality of the drawings

Gorgeous drawings...absolutely gorgeous. The characters are all beautifully drawn in every detail. The problem is that there are 2 characters that can get difficult to recognize due to their similar looks.

10/10

Plot

The plot is about this guy, Junpei (Manako?), who goes to the roof one day in school and sees the strawberry panties of a girl falling down on him (he wanted to film her panties because it's artistic, apparently). After that, he wishes to go out with this girl ever since...but he doesn't know this girl. The plot of this series in the early volumes can thicken to a certain extent, but it tends to thin out later on (with many girls). Also, as plot moves on, I'd swear Junpei knows by the second or third volume. So then it goes goes into this love polygon...

3/10

Characters

all the characters have some sort of personality that "suits" them. The only problem is that Junpei seems to be the only majorly dynamic character. Aya nor Tsusaka (the 2 female leads in the firest volume) don't seem to be very dynamic, though you can expect some changes between the characters. Other characters tend to be generic and 1-dimensional. So main characters = good. Minor characters = bad.

6/10

Originality

this manga is generic. Highly generic. The only exception to this manga and others like it is that Ichigo 100% contains absolutely no nudity (replaced by massive amounts of panty shots, upskirts, downblouses, etc. that don't show any nudity). No, it's qutie perverted still. I mean, I'd be drawing the line between the occasional awkward "camera angles" and this. Generic 1 guy, many girls senerio, tho.

2/10

Enjoyment

Yes it's sexy and it's supposed to be. It's entertainment for the guys who don't get the romantic comedy the girls dig. The plot's about the nerd/geek guy man! For goodness sake, this manga is highly generic on a topic that works! I sure did enjoy it until the massive amounts of perverted angles become a nuisance. At which I was at the point of just glancing the pics and reading the lines only. Doing that, I found it highly enjoyable as a romantic comedy. Even then the plot thins out with many girls. I think I started to name them just "this girl", "that girl", "Aya", and "Tsusaka". The guys I don't even pay attention to, since they don't really contribute to anything. If you like to see the girls in every possible angle, then this would be a 10 for sure.

6/10

Overall
27/50 or 5.4

Just barely above average rating. Of course, if it floats your boat, this can easily be a highly rated manga.

- Kenny C. *Aya is the best in this manga...really*

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 04-19-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

2 Manga for the price of 1! :P

Manga: Pretty Face
Read: Volume 5 of 6 volumes
ESRP Rating: Teen (13+) *note, the majority of the nudity is censored out, but still 1 or 2 shots of nude women are still there
Genre: Romantic Comedy

Pretty Face is a critically acclaimed manga that may hit the North American shores (because it's so popular). I'm sure many has heard of this magna manga before.

Quality of the drawings

Pretty Face is...pretty face (can't pun). I mean, this series has almost perfection in the artistic style. For the most part, the drawings are absolutely overwhelimingly beautiful. I consider some of the art in Pretty Face to be one of the best.

10/10

Plot

It's about Randoh, a karate guy who's incredibly arrogant. He likes this girl named Rina for a long time. After horrible accident, his face is destroyed, and everyone thinks he's dead. A plastic surgeon (perverted one) changes his face to that of Rina's. On the street of that same day, Rina sees him and thinks he is her long lost twin sister. Randoh is now torn between spending time with Rina as her sister Yuna or turning his face back to what it should have been. I liked the plot twist at the end (esp. when I'm not even done the manga yet, I want to know what happens next).

8/10

Characters

The story is basically about Rondah and Rina, and Rondah is a highly dynamic character (as he tries to adapt to a life of girls). Rina, on the other hand, seems 2-dimensional, but static. Other minor characters are placed in there, and they seem 1-dimensional.

7/10 (the main characters is all that matter lol)

Originality

It's technically a spinoff of the old romatic comedies. But the crossdressing thing with Rondah is too much for it too be not original. It is likely the most original of this genre for sure. The humour also is quite original due to the crossdressing problem.

8/10

Enjoyment

I love this manga, as you can see. The enjoyment for this manga is quite high for me. It's quite sexy at times, sometimes the right times. It's humourous at the right times. It's 1-dimensional enough for hte plot to work out, yet twists on the story can be inserted easily due to its structure. You probably won't know what will happen next (then again, it's predictable enough too).

10/10

Overall
8.6 or 43/50

An excellent score for an excellent manga series. It's only 6 volumes long too, so it's quite a quick read. Too bad the translations are quite slow and there are no raw chinese manga for me to chew on. One of the best I've seen of this genre. And the score I feel reflects it.

- Kenny C. *Rina Fan*

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 04-19-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:02 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: I's
Read: All 15 Volumes (end)
ESRP rating: Adults (18+)
Genre: Romantic Comedy

I's. No comment.

Quality of the drawings

Aside from the front covers (which looks realistic rather than anime), 2 words: Wow. I mean 1 word. Really, even the fan service in this manga is drawn nicely, although the fan servicing can get quite annoying at times.

10/10

Plot

It's about Seto, who falls in love with this girl in the drama club named Iori. The problem is, he cannot confess to her because of his situation...hegot rejected too many times in the past. Throw in obstacles and such and you've got the plot.

*Spoiler part (yeah, spoilers!!!!!!):
Well after a few more volumes, Itsuki (childhood friend of Seto), appears and he starts to like her too. Anyway, it always seemed that one obstacle that he always faces is another girl, let it be Itsuki in the beginning, Izumi in the middle, or the last girl at the end. Either way, the predictable ending was nice there, even though the author revealed a little too much on some things...

9/10

Characters

I know for certain that all of the characters are DYNAMIC!!!! Minor characters are not, but they only basically fill roles of characters that left. Even those characters have some dynamic elements to them.

*Spoilers:The last girl, I'd like to know where she was...

10/10

Originality

Generic romantic comedy. Either way, this one's just as generic as all the others. I feel more attached to this one tho. Personal experience or something.

7/10

Enjoyment

Me, yeah. If you want fan service, you'll like it. If you want fan service at the end, you'll be disappointed. You want the ending that you predicted from the beginning? You got it. The twists in the plot made me like it even more.

10/10

Overall
46/50 or 9.2

I think the score relfects it all. Get it. Really. I mean, if you're a hopeless romantic like me, go get it. If you like fan servicing, go get it. If you're the action guy, you'll probably hate it. Either way, I recommend it. (personal connections???)

- Ken, hopeless romantic

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 04-19-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: Saishu-Heiki Kanojo Sidestory
Read: The whole 1-shot
ESRP rating: Adults (18+), explicit gore and nudity, highly suggestive themes
Genre: War Romance

SaiKano Sidestory celebrates the coming of its anime, Saishu-Heiki Kanojo (Ultimate Weapon Girlfriend), written by Takahashi Shin. Let's show a comment done by SnoopyCool, which illustrates why I'm doing this review:

"SaiKano... every description I can think of just falls short. However I will say that it is a love story for people at least over 16 or 17. And if you aren't into mature themes, this probably isn't for you. However, I highly recommend this to all of you, it holds a lot of lessons that should be taken to heart."

Quality of the drawings

It's a war story, and the setting, the graphics, and everything else just clicks into place. It just felt horrific.

10/10

Plot

It's a one-shot, the plot is amazing. It really does look deep into a soldier's mind, it shows WHY. I can't really say anything about the plot, since it's like the whole thing if I tell you.

9/10

Characters

Particularly well developed for a 1-shot. The two main characters are taken into account for all.

10/10

Originality

It's from the POV of a soldier, it's quite like the previous war stories, but this one is particularly well done.

8/10

Enjoyment

It teaches, the weapon itself. I really liked this story, even if it is one-shot. It does make me want to read the 7 volumes of SaiKano. As I said, this is really worth your time.

10/10

Overall
47/50 or 9.4

I'm agreeing with SnoopyCool here, it's one of the best stories done and one of the most meaningful.

- Kenny C., not a war veteran
Old 06-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: Ranma 1/2
Read: All 38 Volumes
ESRP Rating: Mature (+17), lots of nude shots of Ranma, and some of all the other girls
Genre: Action Romantic Comedy
Licensed by Viz Comics

There was a time before InuYasha (If you haven't noticed, the author os InuYasha is the author of Ranma 1/2), a time when Anime was unheard of in North America. This is one of the pioneering manga that had something to do with the anime explosion.

Quality of the drawings

I grew up with Ranma the anime, so I'm quite accustomed to the almost anime style that the manga has taken. It's still excellent quality and keeping it around for 38 volumes is indeed VERY difficult.

10/10

Plot

Ranma moves into the Tendo family one day with this father. The Tendo family consists of 3 girls and one grown man (the father). Apparently Ranma is engaged to one of them (like any one of them he wants), and this series begins on that rainy night.

The storyline doesn't really pick up until probably the last 2 volumes, so it's like the everyday life of Ranma in the Tendo family. We then throw in random characters, random martial arts battles and techniques. After that, we throw in an exceedingly cool finale. That's Ranma for you!

7/10

Characters

Again, the 3D characters are basically the main characters and Ryoga (okay MAYBE the oldest sister of the Tendo family). Everyone else are one-demensional. Also the fact that there are so many one-timers in this series that made it a little weaker.

7/10

Originality

The Pioneer of crossdressing funny manga! w00t! Sorry.

Anyway, it's quite an original concept at that time. Although I haven't seen a single attempt at something like this since Ranma, I'm pretty sure Ranma's so established that nobody will ever try.

10/10

Enjoyment

Hehe, Ranma's funny. Same with the "macho chick". Crazy people and crazier plots and martial arts contests make this highly enjoyable.

9/10

Overall
8.6 or 43/50

Thinking about it, I think this manga series did deserve all the claims and clamours for it. Really if it was 10 years ago when this was still new, it would have had a higher rating than this for sure. But it's been 10 years and it's still going strong, and that makes it a classic.

- Kenny C.002 "The Yellow Dart"

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-02-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Ice Demon Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ice Demon

Anime: Full Metal Panic?: Fumoffu
Rating recomendation: Prolly 13+ for some cleavage and adult situations, but that's only in some episodes.

Drawings: Full Metal Panic?: Fumoffu (Also known as FMP?F) has beautiful art, especially for anime. It has been known that anime has a 3/5 star drawing style, to make it easier to animate, but FMP?F does no such thing. Every character is drawn with great detail making for a very attractive drawing style.

10/10

Plot:The plot in FMP?F isn't really solid, but in my opinion comedy never does. The story line in FMP?F is set up very well enough to create laughs the whole time through the episode.

10/10

Characters: The characters are the same from the original Full Metal Panic! show, and the writers do a very good job at making action characters turn comedic in this series. The character relationships are very well developed in FMP?F, the best I've seen in a comedy show.

10/10

Animation: The beautiful 30 fps animation flows very well. This musta driven the animators crazy, I haven't seen a lot of anime shows (movies, yes) that have both great animation and artwork, however FMP?F makes an exception.

10/10

Sound: Both the FX and voices are done very well in FMP?F. The voices fit the characters and all the footsteps, explosions, screeches ect. are snyc'd exactly.

10/10

Total Enjoyment: FMP?F is a very enjoyable comedy, if that's what you're looking for. FMP?F has an excellent blend between slapstick, character jokes, and plot situations, which creates a great comedy.

10/10

Bottom Line: FMP?F is the best comedy anime series I've seen, and is in my top five list of the funniest shows ever. With rich drawings and animation how could one pass up such an excellent anime series?

10/10

Peace
Ice Demon
Old 08-29-2004, 02:58 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: Angel Anctuary
Read: All 20 Volumes
ESRP Rating: Mature (+17), there is no nudity in here, but quite a bit of resident-evil-esque gore
Genre: Action Adventure with a touch of romance

I've not heard of any licensing for this. But I'm not surprised if it is. Yuki (can't remember last name...) is a VERY good artist.

Angel Sanctuary...I remember the times when my friend recommended this to me, saying how it was so complicated and stuff. I decided to tackle all 20 volumes of this epic manga.

Quality of the drawings

Yuki sets the bar for beauty in drawings. whether it's an angel from above, a demon from below, or a plain human, she draws them so perfectly and so beautifully that you just can't help but stop and admire this. Well...for me anyway.

10/10

Plot

We have Setsuna, a regular guy...well not really regular. He has several problems in life, including those of regular teenagers, but there are 2 that makes him special. First is that he absolutely is in love with his sister. No, it's not the family love we're talking about. It's incest. The second problem is that certain people think he is the reincarnation of Alexis (the Organic Angel), the most powerful angel who's sided with Lucifer against God. The story unfolds as the situations he gets into become more and more confusing to everyone, including the reader.

The entire series are split into different "arcs" (I think it's 6 in total. I stopped paying attention to these details at the end), which depict different points within Setsuna's life. It is actually very interesting how Setsuna evolved throughout the manga and the ending may be quite surprising to some.

10/10

Characters

Characters? We've got 20. Half of them are regulars. The rest stay for at least 1 or 2 arcs. A large number of characters tend to be one-demensional (the supporting), yet we do know there are plenty of main characters that are constantly evolving. I can also see even 3D supporting characters too. We're talking Yuki actually taking the time to set everything up well, with flavourful characters within the sotrylines.

10/10

Originality

It's about Angels, demons, God, and rebellion. The perfect formula for stirring every bit of every person in the world PLUS Oscar winning plotlines this is. It's so daring and so rebellious of the conventional that Yuki practically DEMANDS at 10.

10/10

Enjoyment

Enjoyable? Yes once you've read it over like 3 times. Once the confusion has been lifted from the manga, everything you see becomes insightful to the grand picture, let it be the beginning or end. The drama is so thick that you can't cut it without using some large axe...or at least a chainsaw.

7/10

Overall
9.4 or 47/50

This is the highest scoring I've given so far, but it's because it's worth at least 3 reads before the average person can understand it that it becomes apparent that Yuki is creative, original, powerful, and definitely an A-class artist. Deadly.

- Kenny "Organic Angel" C.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-02-2004 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: Lilim Kiss
Read: Both Volumes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+) *light hentai
Genre: Romantic comedy

From the same author and animator of Ichigo 100%, comes the story of some guy...and a demon.

Quality of the drawings

It's really good, the drawings. I can see talent in there, and heck they're all drawn to perfection. Yes, from the wacky characters to the puffball thing, it's all good.

Yes the hero looks like Manaka from Ichigo...and the heroine looks like Aya Toujou from Ichigo...

10/10

Plot

So it's about this guy who found this necklace. Apparently this necklace has a little pot (or something like that) and when he opened it...Lilim came.

Okay, it's probably a better plot than Ichigo 100%. Since it's much shorter to begin with, it doesn't seem dragged.

6/10

Characters

All the characters have some sort of personality that "suits" them. This time both the hero and heroine both are relatively good. The other supporting cast is okay at best...still.

7/10

Originality

The angles return in Lilim Kiss, but the little demon plot is refreshing for a romantic comedy compared to the other stuff.

8/10

Enjoyment

Yes it's sexy and it's supposed to be. It's entertainment for the guys yes. At least this time we're talking about a supposedly hot guy getting a cute demon girl. And yes, it's for the ichigo readers who've been wondering how Toujou would be like if she was so open and aggressive.

6/10

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

It's an above average rating. The reasoning toward this is due to it being so short and therefore not get relatively annoying. Nice.

- Kenny C. *don't ask me why I'm having Tsukasa in my sig*

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-02-2004 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

Anime: Rave the Groove Adventure
Seen: 1st series only (can never find the ova)

(FROM http://www.geocities.com/haruluvelie/Main.htm)

The Continent of Song is in chaos. The sinister secret society known as Demon Card is using the power of Dark Bring to destroy everything in their path. The only things capable of stopping Dark Bring are the RAVE stones ... but they were scattered around the globe in an explosion 50 years ago. Now they must be collected by the RAVE Master in order to stop Dark Bring once and for all.
Siva had been the RAVE Master in the last battle against Dark Bring. Now he travels the land in search of Plue, the RAVE Bearer who will guide him to the lost stones. But RAVE has other plans. A new master has been chosen: Haru, a sixteen-year-old boy from Garage Island. He didn't ask to be a hero, but the role falls to him when he pulls Plue out of the sea.
Alerted to the presence of a new RAVE Master, the agents of Demon Card are out to get him, and they'll do whatever it takes to see that he is eliminated and the RAVE stones destroyed.
Haru doesn't go on his quest alone. He's joined by Elie, an amnesiac girl with a taste for gambling and Musica, a Silver Claimer (warrior alchemist) whose family was destroyed by Demon Card. As they travel across the Song Continent, from Ska Village to Punk Street, they encounter many more bizarre allies and awesome opponents. The Groove Adventure begins now.

Quality of the drawings

Decent graphics. Clear difference between male and female, and each character is also unique too. No cg graphics, but transformation sequences of weapons are cool... (Trivia: Those who have watched Get Backers, there are 3 spoof guys from Rave made an appearance there, where Natsumi became a retriever)

9/10

Plot

The plot is cool... see the intro for more details =P

9/10

Characters

Variety of characters, and each has a different trait as well. Main character is Haru, the cool, yet immature, yet clever protagonist of the show has justice burning in his heart (well, for the later episodes anyway). Plue, a snowman/dog being, that sorta looks like a pokémon... who knows what HE is... well in the show they say Plue's a "he"... Plue has hiddn power inside, but "rarely" unleashes it... (emphasize rarely). "Elie", a lucky, mysterious girl who tagged along with Haru... though all trough out the series, and in the manga, she is called Elie, nobody really knows her real name... Sieg Hart, once a cool bad-guy, then a cool good guy. His real objective was to kill subject... 3173... if you read it upside-down, you'll notice that it reads "ELIE"... BAH... I can't jot down every character... the fact that you need to know that there's a LOT... and each has his/her own unique background.

10/10

Originality

In short, the plot very original. magic, weapons and transformations are original in a sense that it is SO IN DEPTH..., there are 60+ unique weapons and attacks with their OWN NAMES.

9/10

Sound

Voicework is nice. Sound is nice too. Overall it's ok, but the only VERY good sounds here are the intro music and ending music. The rest ARE good, but, I've heard better.

8/10

Overall
9 or 45/50

Rave, the Groove Adventure is great anime. Though after seeing the last episode, you may say "What??? What the hell happened next? That's the last episode?!? What about the others?!?" Yep, Rave's (tv series) ending is sorta off, the story isn't complete. The story will end if you watch the OVA... or read the manga. the manga though has some different twists than the show, but mostly similar. Rave is sorta like being in an RPG: Many things to wonder about, many things to think about too =P

- Jet Williams, Sieg Hart wannabe
Old 09-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Manga: Legend of Mana
Read: 3 Volumes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+)
Genre: Action Adventure

Based on the games Secret of Mana and Sword of Mana (ooo!).

Quality of the drawings

For some reason, I just feel like half the drawings look...weird. The other half looks...okay.

7/10

Plot

It's about the adventures of Toto! The payment he needs are models and autographed photos (what cheap payments!)! O, let's throw in some random stuff about these other characters while you're at it.

8/10

Characters

Aside from the incredible stupidity that practically everyone has, it's alright. Really, I haven't seen much other than Toto helping the bad guy or idolizing the bad guy just to be told that he's helping the bad guy and he needs to defeat him/her/it. And the characters are all still relatively cool too.

8/10

Originality

It's based on a video game. Or rather a video game is based off it...I'm not sure. Either way, there will be familar characters in the manga. Like lil' Cactus makes a comback...and rabbie is there...and Niccolo...and Annie for that matter (she's only in a omake???)...and probably more subtle references that I missed.

6/10

Enjoyment

Aside from Toto's stupid and amusing behaviour (nose bleeding while taking a doll's clothes off? wtf is he smoking?), you gotta love the guys who hold the powerful sword of mana...well Toto does...or his supermarket short swords. The rabbie humour got to me.

8/10

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

How did this manga get such a low score? Seriously, I didn't like the drawing that much. And I haven't seen the heroine even this far into the manga. It's like...sad. But you'll get the kick out of the manga if you've played the games.

- Kenny C. has beaten Sword of Mana, yes.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002
Manga: Legend of Mana
Read: 3 Volumes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+)
Genre: Action Adventure

Based on the games Secret of Mana and Sword of Mana (ooo!).
Is it also based on the game "Legend of Mana? (<- sarcastic emoticons)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Yeah, but it's like...old skool and nobody's heard of it except for...that guy. And you...and the forgetful me. But still!