Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:58 AM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to JoshE Send a message via Yahoo to JoshE
Default Re: Same-sex Marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Pikachu
I don't care. If Gays wanna get married, fine by me, just leave me out of it.

Same opinion here. They should get equal rights.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Steven Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Steven

I thought america was started for religious freedom. If the bible says something, you don't have to listen. You have freedoms. That's what this country is about. Restricting people of the pursuit of happiness is against the law. There really isn't an argument there. I don't believe in christ because there's no proof. I have the freedom of speech, so you can't do anything about it. That's also why I'm against the whole "In God We Trust" Thing on money and stuff. It's also stupid. Great. I mean you trust in god. Who gives a rip. Why put it on money. Let's put it on our fore head. Cause newsflash, not everyone believes in god. so live with it. Live with the fact that you're going to hell in everyone else's religions. I mean as far as I'm concerned Greek Religion is the only possible right one, unless you can think of one that came before it. I mean that's just plain silly to come out later with a different god system. I mean it can't start some other way ... again or what ever... It's just weird. Whatever, I really could care less about stuff like this. I just don't like the contradiction. Freedom of Religion, but the christian bible says gay people can't be together. Very stupid indeed.

--Steven ::cracks up and chuckles at contradiction::
Old 07-20-2004, 11:18 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

I thought there was also suppose to be a seperation between church and State. But Bush chooses to ignore that.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Chris Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002
I think it's more about whether we should change the definition of marriage to accomidate homosexuals or not. I mean, the definition of marriage is bonding a man and a woman in the presence of a God. So should we, as a whole, decide that yes we can change the bible, scrolls, etc. to allow for homosexuals (like as part of the definition of marriage)?

Then there's the second topic here that says whether we should allow homosexuals, regardless of the previous topic, to have civil unions (aka the legislation version fo marriage, but does not change the meaning of marriage itself) and then give them the legal benefits like a married couple (and because it's a civil union, they are indeed legally married).
It's all a battle of Past and Present. The past argument supports traditional values set by our founding fathers and the writers of the bible. The more modern view is that we need to accomodate for homosexuals by allowing them to be married. It also has political undertones as well, seeing that republicans typically prefer status quo (staying the same) and democrats typically welcome liberal, beneficial change. What I believe that there should be a compromise between the two viewpoints: Not granting the title of marriage outright, but rather creating something new. I think that homosexuals can function as a married couple just as adaquately as a traditional married couple, but there should be stipulations on a new kind of union. If gay marriage were to be allowed, for example, a man could marry his brother There are certain fiscal benefits to this that would be considered "cheating the system." My point: create something new, with restrictions.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Inferno Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

How would a man be able to marry his brother? I thought there were other laws against that...
But do you care to elaborate on the "stipulations"? Because while I was reading your post, I thought you were going to bring up a new and innovative solution... but you lost me with the brothers joined in matrimony.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:29 AM
Chris Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
How would a man be able to marry his brother? I thought there were other laws against that...
But do you care to elaborate on the "stipulations"? Because while I was reading your post, I thought you were going to bring up a new and innovative solution... but you lost me with the brothers joined in matrimony.
Well, one stipulation would be that you CAN'T marry siblings.
Some kind of union would be granted, there would just be restrictions.

As far as marrying your brother or sister goes, marriage laws are typically determined by the state. It would depend upon which state you live in.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Inferno Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I believe that there should be a compromise between the two viewpoints: Not granting the title of marriage outright, but rather creating something new. I think that homosexuals can function as a married couple just as adaquately as a traditional married couple, but there should be stipulations on a new kind of union.
That's the statement I wanted you to elaborate on.
I don't think marrying your sibling is a massive problem in the US right now. I'm pretty sure that issue's been dealt with and allowing for a homosexual union would not change the idea of sibling-marriage (I almost said sible, like civil, but I figured that was too lame of a joke, IDK why I felt like telling that. lol.)
I forgot where I was, what was I asking?
Was your only point that if homosexuals were allowed to marry, siblings would want to marry also?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:57 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Aren't there laws that siblings can't marry.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Inferno Offline
Master Trainer

I was thinking there were. Of course I've never had a reason to look into it that hard.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:55 AM
Chris Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
That's the statement I wanted you to elaborate on.
I don't think marrying your sibling is a massive problem in the US right now. I'm pretty sure that issue's been dealt with and allowing for a homosexual union would not change the idea of sibling-marriage (I almost said sible, like civil, but I figured that was too lame of a joke, IDK why I felt like telling that. lol.)
I forgot where I was, what was I asking?
Was your only point that if homosexuals were allowed to marry, siblings would want to marry also?
NO. I'm saying that would happen if gay marriage were just granted to everyone. People would abuse the law. Siblings wouldn't want to marry!! (Well I hope not)
Old 08-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Inferno Offline
Master Trainer

Oh, ok. Thank you for clearing up what you said.
I really don't think siblings are able to marry. So even after homosexuals were granted marriage, sibling marriage would still be illegal. So I don't think that's a big concern.
If sibling marriage isn't illegal... well... that's gross(IMO). Sibling marriage has to be illegal, if it's not... oh well.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
JoshE Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
NO. I'm saying that would happen if gay marriage were just granted to everyone. People would abuse the law. Siblings wouldn't want to marry!! (Well I hope not)
I really think there is a law about siblings marrying. There has never been a problem with that before. (sister and brother marrying)