Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Daneb Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Daneb Send a message via MSN to Daneb
Default Fakemon.

Okay, so I stole this from Serebii, but it's a good topic..

How many Fakemon justify as too many or too little in a fic? Should they be used sparingly, as other readers suggest, or can they be used as a base for an entirely original story?

Just wanted to get other opinions on this

Kingdra
Level 100: 349
Old 03-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon
Default Re: Fakemon.

This is a good question, one I'd like to know the answer to as well.

I plan on doing a new Region fic, and, truthfully, I don't plan on using too many fakemon, probably thirty tops. Why? We've got so many now, ones that are already familiar to most people, and I just don't see the sense in making many more than that. I'll be using mostly older Pokemon in it, but with new Legends, starters, and some other new ones thrown in for Gym Leaders and such.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

It all depends upon the setting of the fic. Since Johto and Kanto are on mainland Japan, they share many similar pokemon. However, Hoenn and Sinnoh only share the most common of the mainland pokemon. My fanfic is set in Hakkou, a region to the south of Japan (think Taiwan but scaled up and moved a bit east) and has many new pokemon - over 300. Why? Its a sub-continent that hasn't had contact with other places geographically for a long time. It is massive, having its own mountains, volcanoes, and even a recently recovering portion of dinosaurs. This is because, like Australia, it has not been connected with main species of common pokemon.

Take for example, Charolt. It is closely related to Ponyta, as well as the mainland equivalent which became extinct a long time ago. Charolt, instead of remaining a pure fire type, for some reason evolved (in the Darwinian sense) to incorporate the dark element. The Ponyta and Rapidash retained their monoelemental status, and thus have different coloring and elementage than Charolt. The same could be said with the mainland equivalent.

This above property can be applied to nearly every situation. Dwarfism would dictate on islands such as the Sevii's, where likely Ponyta are smaller and slower than Japanese mainland pokemon because there are less predators such as Ursaring and Houdoom.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Talking Re: Fakemon.

I don't think there should be very many Fakemon in a Role Play. 10 or so will be fine. But, if it's needed, 15 maximum. I'm planning for certain Fakemon to come in. My best scratch sprite, Delphindae. I made him in late 2006... I don't know when, but he was amazing.... He was a Killer Whale Dolphin. I should make a pre-evo... So, Delphindae should have a very big role in my Fanfic series. I don't know if he's going to be in the Fanfic series I'm working on now, or the one in the future that comes out late 2007/early 2008. There are going to six chapters to the Fanfic series I have now... But I shouldn't do IV till later... Well, maybe Delphindae might star in my next Fanfic series, Fyre Flight. The first chapter is going to be called Fyre Spin. Then Fyre Blast, then Sacred Fyre.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 03-03-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

I'd say a few are okay, like pre-evos for Pokemon we know don't just hatch from an Egg (Kangaskhan, Lapras, etc). Like Sceptile Frost said, a lot depends on the storyline too. But generally, I wouldn't add too many.

Personally, I'm not a real fan of Fakemon in stories.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

I actually don't care for made up pokemon at all :P. I think that there are more than enough real pokemon to fit just about any storyline..For this reason I don't really like made up lands ether, I think that enough depth can be put into the lands that there already are rather than making up whole new ones :). It takes just as much imagination to flesh out the game worlds as it does to make a whole other land IMHO :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art