Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo
Default Re: Highest you can count in an Alter language?

Up to about quintillion in English, up to 1,000 in Spanish, up to...3 in French and up to...5 in Japanese.

I speak French goodly.
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
To my knowledge, that's older use or something. I think it's more common to say 9 hundred 90 quintillion now.

I can count indefinitely in English and Chinese... not sure about anything else. :X
Just be sure when you do, you can crack the tones correctly. Sometimes it'd be hard for me to crack the proper tone and I could accidentally say it in the improper tone without knowing and it takes some time and skill to build that up.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPF_Max View Post
Just be sure when you do, you can crack the tones correctly. Sometimes it'd be hard for me to crack the proper tone and I could accidentally say it in the improper tone without knowing and it takes some time and skill to build that up.
Well, I can do that perfectly fine.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
Well, I can do that perfectly fine.
It's just when I try to say the Chinese word for a thousand, qian, which is in the 1 tone, I sometimes accidentally say it in the fourth tone after I have said yi perfectly which is in the 1 tone. Qian in the 4th tone or qian4 would mean something else. I forgot what it would've meant but I know that's not a number or the correct way of saying the number 1000 in Chinese.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

To to 1000 in spanish.
To 4 in german xD ein zwei drei veir! (I think I spelled those right, probably not)
To 1000 in ASL.
And to when ever I get tired in english.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 PM
FireBrawl Latios Offline
Elite Trainer

A million in the languauges that I can speak fluently in.

燒死了。讓我安息吧。

請勿觸摸,因為骨灰偶爾會動。

一旦有機會,一定會重新從廢墟中再复活起來!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Lusitania Offline

Quote:
The higher numbers than zwanzig in German are dreißig, vierzig, fünfzig sechszig, siebzig, achtzig, neunzig, einhundert, einhundertzehn, and so on. To get simply 1 past 21, you would literally say 1 and 21 rather than your usual English's 21 as twenty-one. It would be rather einundzwanzig instead. Then zweiundzwanzig, dreiundzwanzig, vierundzwanzig, fünfundzqanzig, sechsundzwanzig, siebenundzwanzig, achtundzwanzig, and then neunundzwanzig, here at dreißig then you start that whole pattern all over again at einunddreißig and so on. The numbers go on.

The highest I can count to in a language I definitely know is really undetermined as numbers keep flowing constantly. Rather there is no end to the counting in any language once I've begun counting in them and it all rather seems pretty much easy. I can count in English and in German evenly and fluently, though I really seem to haven't been on the German in that much in many months as I've been speaking in English most of this time.
Oh my god german jesus christ get it away from me <_>

Pretty high in spanish, idk in english.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM
-Smoo- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to -Smoo-

I can go to TEN in French.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
It's just when I try to say the Chinese word for a thousand, qian, which is in the 1 tone, I sometimes accidentally say it in the fourth tone after I have said yi perfectly which is in the 1 tone. Qian in the 4th tone or qian4 would mean something else. I forgot what it would've meant but I know that's not a number or the correct way of saying the number 1000 in Chinese.
So I see. Get practice? ;D Hope you improve. ;)
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 AM
-DarkNight- Offline

Send a message via MSN to -DarkNight-

I can count to millions in english, I live in mexico, I talk spanish and I´ve never been in an english-speaking country :3
Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 AM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
So I see. Get practice? ;D Hope you improve. ;)
Yeah, I probably will improve on that but the problem is how do I say something loud when it's in the 4th tone or quiet when it's in the first tone. According to the way my voice sounds whenever I open my mouth up to speak, that's just the way it goes. I can say yi1 bai3 so fine but when I have to say shi2 ba1 for example, 10+8 or 18, it almost seems impossible.

Also nothing to do with the numbers but whenever I say any X words like Xi or Q words like Qing or something like Xing1 Qi1 Si4 for example, or even Xing1 Qi1 Er4, for Tuesday, it almost becomes totally impossible to pronounce the X in between the s and the sh and the q inbetween the ch and the sh. I cannot grasp them. I just read an article or something about them but they didn't make sense and guess what? Qian4 starts inbetween the sounds of ch and sh so it's like trying to say it without saying chian4 or shian4 and is it really that Xi1 for West would sound completely the same for Shi1 for mistake or would it really sound the same as Si1 for example? I'm confused.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Yeah, I probably will improve on that but the problem is how do I say something loud when it's in the 4th tone or quiet when it's in the first tone. According to the way my voice sounds whenever I open my mouth up to speak, that's just the way it goes. I can say yi1 bai3 so fine but when I have to say shi2 ba1 for example, 10+8 or 18, it almost seems impossible.
Go progressively louder as you train yourself? A few decibels at a time, I guess.

Quote:
Also nothing to do with the numbers but whenever I say any X words like Xi or Q words like Qing or something like Xing1 Qi1 Si4 for example, or even Xing1 Qi1 Er4, for Tuesday, it almost becomes totally impossible to pronounce the X in between the s and the sh and the q inbetween the ch and the sh. I cannot grasp them. I just read an article or something about them but they didn't make sense and guess what? Qian4 starts inbetween the sounds of ch and sh so it's like trying to say it without saying chian4 or shian4 and is it really that Xi1 for West would sound completely the same for Shi1 for mistake or would it really sound the same as Si1 for example? I'm confused.
I would think if anyone makes a mistake with Xi1 it'd be closer to Shi1 than Si1. Of course, there may be exceptions, but you get my point.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
Go progressively louder as you train yourself? A few decibels at a time, I guess.
If I could do it in a voicebox you can see how I'd be improving.

Quote:
I would think if anyone makes a mistake with Xi1 it'd be closer to Shi1 than Si1. Of course, there may be exceptions, but you get my point.
Xi1 (West) would really make a good direction for me. Bu4. (Not.) I like Dong1 (East) a lot better because it's the way the planet spins, but the teeth and tongue are sure in a weird position when pronouncing X words. In English I heard the X's were Z's but does Zi1 actually sound like Zi1 or Si1 because that source also told me Chinese had no voiced sounds, only unvoiced sounds and while Zi1 is voiced, Si1 is unvoiced.

Last edited by SPPF_Max; 10-28-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: How did I get this Oops mark in here?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Aksyel Offline
Amateur Trainer

I've been learning Esperanto for a week, so..99,999 is the highest.

I've been learning Spanish for three years, so..10. I can go higher but I have to think about it so I don't call it counting.

Unu Du Tri Kvar Kvin Ses Sep Ok Naux Dek Dek unu Dek du Dek tri Dek kvar...Dudek Dudek unu...Nauxdek unu...Tri cent dudek ses...Kvardek mil tricent nauxdek ok...Nauxdek naux mil nauxcent nauxdek naux.

That is..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14...20 21...91...326...40398..99999.

Oh, and I can count to three in French, but I am not in French. The only reason I know how is because my math teacher likes to count in French sometimes.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Vaughn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 9)

Send a message via AIM to Vaughn Send a message via Yahoo to Vaughn

I can count to 100 in Spanish. Don't know what to say after 100.

Hit me up on AIM: neuroticnero

vpp | urpg | pol