Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Giratina Offline

Default The Sliding SCALE: Idea?

First off, it's not designed to be particularly serious - in fact, some aspects of it are parody of both the games and stuff that tends to happen in Pokémon fanfiction. Shinies are treated slightly differently, but I'll get into that later. So yes, there will be some odd stuff happening.

The story starts off with a Trainer, about seventeen. His name is Lance (no, not the canonical Lance, a different one). He is notorious for being one of those Trainers who really don't give a Ratatta's tail about Pokémon's well-being (though he keeps his Weavile relatively healthy so that it may lay the beatdown on other Pokémon at any time), and occasionally kicks defeated Pokémon's bodies into the surrounding scenery when nobody's around to get a laugh out of it. Anyway, he's just strolling around, on the lookout for any Pokémon he and his Weavile could beat down. They find a large orange-and-black bundle of fur rather far away down the path, and figure it's a Pokémon who's fainted. Weavile points it out to Lance, and they scramble over to see what horrors they could set upon it. However, once they see what it is, Lance loses his balance in surprise and trips.

He skids to a halt in front of a Shiny Zapdos.

Lance catches the unconscious Zapdos immediately (wanting to train it up to aid Weavile's Beat Up attack and fight on its own), calls it something stupid (Sugar Cube), and goes back to the Pokémon Center, keeping the Zapdos hidden at all costs. He checks in at a room in the Center for the night, and places his two Pokémon on a tray set out for them. He flops into bed and falls asleep immediately, while a Joy sneaks in quietly to take his Pokémon to be healed. She plans to have them returned to him by dawn.

Basically, Lance has a dream. This is where the alternate interpretation of Shinies comes in; he dreams of some Legendary (possibly Manaphy) rambling on about how some experimentation on Mew's part had spawned a host of alternately-colored Legendaries - Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, and Jirachi. Manaphy - who has taken up the position very similar to the oracle of Delphi - then continues that Mew has seriously screwed up in creating these 'artificial' Legendaries, of which there were to be no Shiny forms; he explains it as "Origin [Legendary] Pokémon were meant to be forever in their purest form; this alternate coloration was never to enter and pollute an Origin's body." Mew, of course, had no clue the Legendary clones would be 'polluted' when she created them.

Arceus had dropped one to Earth from the land above the clouds, to leave it battered. He had figured that any human with a kind enough heart to rescue the Pokémon (not realizing that humans knew what Legendary Pokémon were and figured they would think it was a regular one) would therefore be blessed with the task of rounding up the rest of them, strewn around Johto. Guess who's been forced into the job?

(By the way, the title - The Sliding SCALE - is in reference to Lance's journey with Sugar Cube to find and catch the rest of the Shinies. SCALE stands for Sugar Cube And Lance Expedition. Therefore, The Sliding SCALE = The Sliding (as in slipping and sliding) Sugar Cube And Lance Expedition.)

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Lusitania Offline

Default Re: The Sliding SCALE: Idea?

Naming it sugar cube holds no comedic value and actually takes away from the slightly macabre tone I feel from this story that I get from the summary of the plot.

other than that I think it sounds pretty great.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Giratina Offline

Default Re: The Sliding SCALE: Idea?

Naw, it's not going to be very dark at all, unfortunately... so no macabre-ness for you. Sorry. Lance really only named it 'Sugar Cube' because saying 'Zapdos' might tip people off a bit more than they need to about him carrying around a strangely-colored Legendary (and he wanted to call it something stupid).

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)