Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009
Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (Chapter 7 can be read now!)

I finally managed to squeeze in some time to do some fan-fic reading (coughcoughAtMidnightcoughcough), and I saw that you finally had your first special chapter up. You told me that Orre was in it, so OF COURSE I had to read it! :D

And I'm glad I did! This was soooooo epic! It was cool enough that it had Shadows in it, but put Red into the mix... Epic Win! Can't believe what a cruel person Mark Antony was. (Love the name by the way; total Roman allusion there ;] ) I don't think I noticed any typos or anything, of course I'm terrible at catching those things half the time anyway. xD

But anyway, I really hope I can catch up on my reading here. You got such an enchanting style, there. Keep up the great work! :D

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
I finally managed to squeeze in some time to do some fan-fic reading (coughcoughAtMidnightcoughcough), and I saw that you finally had your first special chapter up. You told me that Orre was in it, so OF COURSE I had to read it! :D

And I'm glad I did! This was soooooo epic! It was cool enough that it had Shadows in it, but put Red into the mix... Epic Win! Can't believe what a cruel person Mark Antony was. (Love the name by the way; total Roman allusion there ;] ) I don't think I noticed any typos or anything, of course I'm terrible at catching those things half the time anyway. xD

But anyway, I really hope I can catch up on my reading here. You got such an enchanting style, there. Keep up the great work! :D
Huzzah! Yay for midnight reading! x3

I'm so glad you found the chapter epic. Yes, Red is awesome, especially because he's so silent and serious all the time (or at least, that's the way games make him out to be). I also love Mark Antony's name; I like how it rolls the tongue. :D

Yay for no typos! xD God, I hate proofreading long chapters because I know something trivial will slip past. I'm glad I did a decent job. :P

Also, I added a "Fun Facts and Trivia" section on the first page. It also explains how I came up with Mark Antony's name. ;)

Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you find the time to read the other chapters. I'm going to read your Chapter 14 preview shortly, now that I don't have a long-awaited update hanging over my head. xD

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Huzzah! Yay for midnight reading! x3

Oh, yeah! It's lots of fun. Kicks and giggles, if ya know what I mean xD

Quote:
I'm so glad you found the chapter epic. Yes, Red is awesome, especially because he's so silent and serious all the time (or at least, that's the way games make him out to be). I also love Mark Antony's name; I like how it rolls the tongue. :D

Yay for no typos! xD God, I hate proofreading long chapters because I know something trivial will slip past. I'm glad I did a decent job. :P

Also, I added a "Fun Facts and Trivia" section on the first page. It also explains how I came up with Mark Antony's name. ;)
It's kinda funny how he's portrayed that way, considering how his representations in the manga and anime are anything but serious. (Ash is not worthy! LoL JK) But still, I can't wait to face him in Soul Silver :3 I think you did a great job with him in there, and I liked the contrast it showed between Kanto and Johto. Who'd a thought that they wouldn't be getting along? I love it!

*checked the trivia* I knew that his name was from that play! :D I remember reading it in my first year of high school. ^^ Imma gonna hafta re-read that monologe.

Quote:
Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you find the time to read the other chapters. I'm going to read your Chapter 14 preview shortly, now that I don't have a long-awaited update hanging over my head. xD

- Kat
Hey, no prob! ^^ I hope I can find time too. College is so ruthless with homework, ya know? But thanks! If you want, you can wait till I get the full chapter up; i almost have it done. ^^ *feels like she's got such an update hanging over her head*

Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
Oh, yeah! It's lots of fun. Kicks and giggles, if ya know what I mean xD

It's kinda funny how he's portrayed that way, considering how his representations in the manga and anime are anything but serious. (Ash is not worthy! LoL JK) But still, I can't wait to face him in Soul Silver :3 I think you did a great job with him in there, and I liked the contrast it showed between Kanto and Johto. Who'd a thought that they wouldn't be getting along? I love it!

*checked the trivia* I knew that his name was from that play! :D I remember reading it in my first year of high school. ^^ Imma gonna hafta re-read that monologe.

Hey, no prob! ^^ I hope I can find time too. College is so ruthless with homework, ya know? But thanks! If you want, you can wait till I get the full chapter up; i almost have it done. ^^ *feels like she's got such an update hanging over her head*
lol Giggles that soon turn into yawns, I bet. I've had numerous nights like that myself. xD

Yeah, he is way different in the manga. Red > Ash, yes. xD Man, me, too; I can't wait to challenge him on Mt. Silver. I guess you can say since Johto and Kanto are neighbors, they are about to have scuffles and fights. This is explained a bit in Chapter Four, I believe. It's not a whole history, but you get a good idea as to why there's a war between them.

I loved his monologue. I read the play last year in my Sophomore year of high school, and it was awesome to have a teacher that would not only explain the stanzas but also provide information and history that would make us appreciate the play even more. :3

Nah, that's okay; I shall read your preview tomorrow! I need some fan fiction to read in order to get me creative juices flowing. :o

- Kat

Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (You can now read Special Chapter 01!)

Song for this chapter: Mt. Moon from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Why didn't I use the Lavender Town Music? 'Cause that one is more fitting for the next chapter. ;)

____

Chapter 8

And I Could See

“This seems like a very cheery place,” Mark Antony remarked when they materialized above Lavender Town, not even trying to hide his immediate distaste. Silver eyes glanced at the small, wooden houses scattered below them. “Even our poorest towns in Johto aren’t as run down as this.”

Death gave his assistant a slight narrowing of his eye, but the soul was not deterred from his small rant. Although they stood two stories above the town, he could see the shape of the houses, the very earth on which their foundations stood. Every fiber of his being that was still anchored on Johtonian pride made him compare this Kantonian settlement to the ones in his home region. “Their house windows are cracked while the earth could not be dryer. There is not a house whose walls are not deteriorating, and on top of that…” Mark Antony trailed off, his gaze lowering in confusion and realization. From where they floated, invisible to everybody, he saw the scant population of the town going about their daily lives. However, despite the everyday chatter that floated up to them and the laughter they heard every now and then, there was something that unsettled him and made him feel as though his scarf had been ripped away. “… I feel despair and fear all around me…”

Death offered Mark Antony an understanding nod of his head. As the soul subconsciously clutched his scarf with one hand, eyes troubled, the grim reaper explained, “I know; I can feel it as well. You no longer have a physical body, Mark Antony. Your soul is so much more attuned to everybody else’s, whether be it Pokémon or human, now that it’s not restricted by blood and flesh.”

“Maybe this person I’m supposed to guard is not the only one in need of help,” Mark Antony muttered, too wrapped up with these new feelings to realize he was pitying civilians of a Kantonian town. He looked away from a crowd of children playing near the town square and faced Death with a frown that was slightly less deep than the one he wore before. With a sigh that made him realize that he really did care for the people below him, Mark Antony took one look at the cloudy sky above him and fished his scythe out from the strap on his back.

“So who am I guarding?” he asked the Dusknoir, finding himself sitting cross-legged in the air. Standing above the town like he had been doing stirred a rather unpleasant memory of being held up in the air by Banette’s invisible strings. With the scythe in his hands, however, its arching blade gleaming in the limited sunlight that managed to bypass the clouds above, the feeling of helplessness that came with the recollection wasn’t as strong.

Death beckoned him with a large hand and began to descent down to the town square. Mark Antony straightened and followed him, finding the act of flying surprisingly smooth and as natural as holding a sword in his hand. They were now skimming the wooden housetops, and the soul noticed right off the bat that the wood that made up the houses was of very poor quality. He glanced at the small mountain range to the south of Lavender Town, wondering why the people didn’t try and cut down trees near there instead of using the parched, frail oaks that he could see lined the path.

They were immersed in the town square seconds later, and the chatter intensified and became more coherent. Despite the fact that the markets were merely raised, wooden stands in front of houses, there were so many that if Death and he stood next to the small fountain in the middle, the sun-bleached, fabric awnings over the stands blocked out the view of the houses. As the townspeople passed by them -- and through them, much to Mark Antony’s surprise and annoyance -- Death began to scan the surroundings critically. Jumping on the lip of the fountain and giving the Kantonians a sour look, Mark Antony tried to pick out whoever he was suppose to guard. He tried ‘feeling’ for the human’s distressed soul, but after a minute that resulted in him feeling silly, he straightened and crossed his arms.

“There,” the ghoul pointed just as his assistant was about to remark that they should just pick anybody they saw, seeing as how they all seemed in need of help. Shutting his mouth, Mark Antony looked towards the stand Death was pointing to.

At first it wasn’t clear which person within the small crowd was supposed to be his charge, but as civilians began to part, the twenty-five-year-old saw that the grim reaper was pointing at a fair-haired boy behind the wooden counter. With the way he organized the baskets of vegetables and bid the customers farewell, it was hard to believe he only seemed thirteen-years-old. Death and Mark Antony drifted closer, the latter’s face scrunched up in confusion and puzzlement. He was startled when the boy sharply looked up at their approach, his olive-green eyes slightly narrowed. They were much too intense for that pale, still child-like face.

“I thought he couldn’t see us,” Mark Antony addressed Death in a hiss. He gripped his scythe, thinking at the back of his mind that he could knock the kid unconscious to stop him from seeing them. The sergeant relaxed when the kid blinked a couple of times, muttering something under his breath and pulling the cuff of his long-sleeved white, almost yellow, shirt nervously. He went back to tending the bushels of vegetables.

“He can’t,” was the Dusknoir’s answer. “You can wish to appear before him if you concentrate, and you will seem as real as a human.” An imaginary eyebrow was raised as he trailed off on a thought that had surfaced in his mind. “It is possible, though, that he has a sixth sense.”

“Sixth sense?” Mark Antony’s brows were furrowed. “That’s ridiculous. The idea of psychics telling the future, of people who sense the supernatural, is all superstition.”

Death was amused, and the mouth on his stomach opened in a silent chuckle. “Have you already forgotten that you yourself are something out from a book of lore and superstitions?”

The guardian gave his boss a brief glance before shouldering his scythe with a defeated huff. “You don’t have to remind me,” he muttered back. “It’s strange enough that I’m to be someone’s protector for all eternity. I do not need someone telling me my existence is a contradiction to what I’ve always believed in.”

“I hope you enjoy my company more in the centuries to come,” Death remarked. The small smile that graced the ghost’s words made the assistant grind his teeth. “If not, it’ll be a very lonely eternity.”

“So where is the Pokémon I’m supposed to take over?” Mark Antony cut in, his voice slightly raised to stop Death from putting in any more last words.

“Right behind that counter.”

Still giving the boy a weary glance, Mark Antony floated around the stand to peer at the sleeping Pokémon slumped at the kid’s feet. Curiously, Mark Antony touched down and knelt before the small, bipedal reptile. It wasn’t the creature’s brown scales or the twin spines on his back that made him tilt his head in bewilderment. He probed the loose-fitting skull the Ground-type wore, paying no heed to the fact that his finger passed through the white bone. The Pokémon shifted in his sleep and held his bone club closer to his chest as though it would drive away Mark Antony’s chilly presence.

“What in Arceus’ name…?” Mark Antony exclaimed. He turned to Death, who had simply followed him through the stand. The boy paused in his work for a second to let a shiver run down his spine. “What Pokémon is this?”

“A Cubone. They are native only to the Southern Kanto Peninsula, which means this little guy came a long way.”

“It doesn’t seem very strong,” the soul commented with a small frown. “Or nimble.”

“I’m sure its attacks will help you.” Death waved towards the sleeping Pokémon. “Now take its soul with your scythe, store it within the skull orb, and begin your mission. I’ll take care of your scythe while you’re gone.”

“How long is this going to take?” Mark Antony took his stance and raised his scythe, his entire being shivering in apprehension. He found the sensation silly in a way. For years, he had been in charge of protecting Johtonians, even before he became a sergeant. Why was the prospect of taking care of one person, a kid no less, looking so daunting?

Was it because this time around, he had no idea what the enemy was?

“There’s no way to know,” Death said, effectively snapping him back to reality. “If you are in the body for more than two weeks, I’ll take you out to ensure the body does not reject you and leave itself soulless and vulnerable. Eventually, you’ll be able to do that by yourself, but I don’t think it’ll take that long. Ivan’s soul is too worked up for his premature death to occur days from now.”

“Ivan’s his name?”

“It won’t matter what his name is if you let him die while you wait to get started,” Death curtly told him, crossing his arms expectantly.

“If you keep frowning in such a manner,” Mark Antony pointed to the ghost’s abdomen before turning his back to face the sleeping Lonely Pokémon, “it’ll stay like that.”

Ignoring whatever response Death said, Mark Antony brought down the blade of the scythe before his mind allowed him to over think the situation. The harmless sickle passed through Cubone’s solid form, but his body seized up as though stricken. Ivan heard the creature’s muffled gasp and knelt down to inspect.

“You must be having a bad dream,” the thirteen-year-old said when Cubone’s body went limp and Mark Antony was plucking the silver soul from the blade’s tip.

“This whole thing is like a bad dream,” the guardian muttered, throwing Death a perturbed frown. The Pokémon’s soul intertwined around his fingers and flew into the red orb mounted inside the scythe’s skull.

“You don’t like your job already?” asked the Dusknoir.

“It would be more enjoyable if you didn’t talk,” his assistant quipped.

Mark Antony offered a smug smile when he was pulled into Cubone’s body, his scythe tossed to an exasperated Death.

_____

For a while, he felt nothing. Then Mark Antony was being shaken from side to side. A voice he didn’t recognize called to him with a name that wasn’t his. After a minute, he opened his eyes and wondered for a second why there was a helmet over his head. When he touched the side of it and felt bone and two protruding horns, Mark Antony nodded in recollection. With a head that felt a tad too heavy, he stood up on short, hind paws. Ivan caught his falling form with a word of concern, but the Cubone shrugged his hands off with an annoyed, “Cu!” and a wave of his bone club.

Ivan laughed, much to Mark Antony’s chagrin. “Come along,” he said as he balanced the two baskets, one with the bag of profit and the other with the few vegetables left. Mark Antony couldn’t help but scowl at Ivan’s Kantonian accent; he had hoped he would never hear the dreaded dialect again. “It’s time to close up shop.”

Mark Antony grabbed the edge of the basket beside him and began to follow the boy towards the house behind them. As he did so, he turned this way and that, muttering in his new Pokémon tongue about how Death had just left him. Then again, he thought. According to Death, they couldn’t be seen by Pokémon and humans. By being inside a Cubone’s body, he could have gained the inability to see him. Mark Antony once again looked around him, growling at the thought that the Dusknoir could be anywhere around him without him any the wiser. This caused Ivan to glance at him with a raised eyebrow.

“You alright?” When the Ground-type just huffed, throwing one last glare at the darkening surroundings, Ivan merely opened the door of the small house and set the baskets inside. Mark Antony began to walk up the rotting steps, but the Kantonian stopped him with one of his brown boots. He looked up at the boy with a questioning tilt of his head.

“Have you been sleeping too much, Den?” he joked as he wiped off his dirty hands on the equally-stained chestnut pants that were tucked into his worn boots. “Maybe Father was right; you do need to get out and battle the wild Pokémon to keep yourself awake.”

Despite not being the ‘Den’ Ivan was referring to, Mark Antony still took offence and waved his bone club while saying nobody in their right mind would open a house door and not go in, forgetting all the while that he couldn’t be understood. Ivan looked on in amusement.

“We’re not going in,” he explained in a sudden hushed tone. Ivan glanced at the house before quietly shutting the door. “We’re going to Mr. Walker’s house, remember?”

Mark Antony just nodded and half-ran, half skipped after the boy when Ivan turned on his heel and dashed through the town square. After nearly toppling when he mistimed a step, the Cubone leaned on the fountain to get his balance back. His paw patted the cracked stone a second, and then a third time, when he felt something amiss. While he could have shrugged his curiosity off and follow Ivan, there was something not right about the weathered fountain. Mark Antony jumped up to grab the lip of the structure but nearly ended up on his back at the action.

~ “This is so frustrating,” ~ he said beneath his breath once he righted himself with his club. ~ “Of all the creatures this region has to offer…” ~ Mark Antony turned towards the bone club, let a smile flitter over his reptilian face, and swung the bone over the lip until he found a notch the bone held onto. With a Herculean effort, he managed to lift himself up.

“Den?” Ivan came towards him, but the Pokémon was too taken aback by what he saw to acknowledge the words.

~ “There’s no water,” ~ Mark Antony said to himself. The bottom of the fountain was not only void of water, but it seemed that not a drop of it had ever been there in the first place. The sight made his heart ache, for some reason he did not understand himself.

“Did you want a drink of water?” Den’s master asked him, his words no longer as upbeat as before. Mark Antony found himself being lifted into Ivan’s arms and snuggled closer to the boy’s brown vest. “You know the fountain hasn’t provided us with water for three months now. I can’t blame you for checking, though. I always secretly glance at its basin in vain.”

The boy tightened his hold on Mark Antony in excitement. “We’ll get to the bottom of this, Den. I’m positive that these latest supernatural incidents have something to do with this. Mr. Walker said some very strange things happened down at his property, something unlike we’ve ever seen.”

When Mark Antony was placed back on the ground, he did a literal double-take that made the skull over his head rattle. ~ “You’re going WHERE? ~ he exclaimed, gobsmacked. By the time his utter surprise morphed into a state of teeth-grinding anger, Ivan was already running to the other side of the square and beyond. The guardian was left there, seething, before he took off after the boy. If all of his concentration wasn’t focused on keeping his balance, Mark Antony would have taken aim and clobbered Ivan with his bone club.

~ “If you’re listening, Death,” ~ he told the air with gritted teeth, ~ “Get me the hell out of here! This kid is looking for trouble, and he’ll get killed no matter what I do.” ~

/Giving up already, sergeant?/

Mark Antony stumbled but caught himself. When he realized that Death’s voice was a resonating tenor in his head and just that, he kept on running. ~ “You came back? I thought you were just going to leave me here and call it a day.” ~

/I never left,/ was the response that reverberated in his head. /Like you probably inferred already, you can’t see me because Pokémon cannot. However, due to our ‘contract’ you agreed to the moment you picked up that scythe, I can communicate with you telepathically without revealing myself./

~ “‘Agreed’ isn’t exactly the term I would use for my situation,” ~ his assistant quipped back. Ivan up ahead, too excited on cracking the town’s mystery to pay attention to the fact that his Pokémon was talking to the thin air, exited the town square. A beaten path that led out of Lavender Town now yawned before them. Mark Antony saw this and picked up the pace, now seriously considering knocking the kid down so he didn’t have to run so damn fast. ~ “And like I mentioned before, this kid is out looking for trouble. How can I keep a person like that alive?” ~

/By constant vigilance, answered Death. Mark Antony then felt his blood chill as the grim reaper grew solemn. Be warned, Mark Antony. The atmosphere in this town is not normal, but whatever is causing Lavender to emit this aura is too unstable for me to recognize./

~ “So there really is something supernatural going on here?” ~ Mark Antony shook his head to focus on the path he and Ivan were taking. Shock was splayed across his features when he saw the last house left behind. The dirt trail was now only meant to be traveled by wagons that could bypass the scattered rocks and potholes.

/It’s a strong possibility, but I’m afraid I cannot stay and ponder it with you. My own duties have to be addressed. If need be, we’ll communicate. If not, I’ll be back once your mission is done.

~ “Wait! You can’t just le-!” ~ Mark Antony tripped on an upturned rock and fell face first into the gravel. When he picked himself up and didn’t hear Death’s voice anymore, he was glad that the only one who noticed his fall of dignity was Ivan.

“I’m sorry, Den,” he apologized but not before he got a whack to the head. Ivan cringed and rubbed the forming bruise. “Yes, I guess I do deserve that, but we’re here.”

Mark Antony took a few steps forward and couldn’t help but crane his head to the right. The mountain was the first that made up the mountain range that cut Lavender Town from the cities to the south. On top of one of the artificially-cut ledges sat a house that was much larger than the ones in the town, complete with a second story and a cattle pen as its neighbor. Ivan walked closer, seemingly oblivious to the precarious boulders above.

“Mr. Walker!” he called. “Mr. Walker!”

Mark Antony shoved Ivan out of the way before his grating, accent-slathered words sent the mountainside tumbling down. Looking up, the soul realized Ivan would surely try and climb the ridiculously dangerous mountain to meet this man and hear the yarn he had to tell. Mark Antony twirled his bone club, closed his eyes, and went though every attack this Cubone knew. Eyes were opened with a start when the attacks “Rock Climb” and “Rock Smash” flowed from a subconscious part of the Pokémon’s mind. He turned to Ivan, wondering how a merchant boy got his hands on the money to teach a Pokémon such moves and why he hadn’t ordered him to perform them in the first place.

~ “Wait… Is it possible that this Cubone isn’t his? Or even his family’s?” ~ Mark Antony thought. He shook his head. ~ “Does it matter? Such things are not my concern.” ~

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (You can now read Special Chapter 01!)

Ignoring Ivan’s inquiries, Mark Antony jumped on a boulder, held his club in his jaws, and then flung himself forward to grasp any available nooks his tiny claws could find. His very breath left him when he looked down and found the world below him small. Rocks tumbled down as he tightened his grip, willing himself to think of this as just any other mission. Nonetheless, his steely resolve was broken when he felt his stubby tail move and felt the claws he had instead of fingers. Who was he kidding? This was nothing like hiding in the bushes to ambush some Kantonians or running through a battlefield with his trusty sword in hand. Everything he did now, everything he experienced, was through a whole different perspective he was sure he could handle.

After he managed to hold himself with one paw and retrieve his club with the other, he turned to the Kantonian below him. “CU! Cubone!” Ivan ran back as Mark Antony leapt again and hit a boulder with a mighty hit of his bone club. Rubble exploded in his face, catapulting him backwards with a ringing in his ears. Something at the back of his mind told him to reach out behind him, and Mark Antony yelped when he caught hold of a small ledge.

~ “Damn!” ~ were the words that left his mouth. Mark Antony then grinned a bit. ~ “Such explosive power makes me homesick.” ~

The dust cloud settled to reveal Ivan unharmed at the foot of the mountainside and a pile of rubble in the boulder’s place. Mark Antony looked up and saw nobody had come down from the house to inspect the cause of the noise. He shrugged from where he hung at the side of the mountain. He personally didn’t care if he carved holes in this Kantonian landscape.

Soon after that thought, another boulder fell at his power, and then another, and another. Every time the Rock Smash sent him back, there was something that always allowed him to Rock Climb back to safety. It was eerie, if the twenty-five-year-old thought about it, at how easily he used Cubone’s mind to benefit him. Was this how it felt to be a true Pokémon? Did these creatures effortlessly performed their attacks because their bodies were accustomed to the familiar movements? Was he becoming accustomed to this body more quickly than he thought?

~ “How disturbing,” ~ Mark Antony thought when he landed on the ground and found that he had successfully cleared a path straight to the house. ~ “I might become more of a Pokémon than a human by the time this ends.” ~

The thought that he was no longer a human but a human’s soul came to him when he sat on the ground, emitting a giant exhausted breath that rattled his helmet. With his arms like lead and the rest of his body just protesting his every twitch, Mark Antony could do nothing as Ivan picked him up.

“Wow, Den, I never knew you had it in you.” Ivan lovingly hugged the Cubone closer, much to Mark Antony’s annoyance. However, his cries of protest were just mumbles the human wouldn’t have understood anyway, and his attempts to free himself were lazy swings of his club.

~ “If you trained your Pokémon more, then I wouldn’t have collapsed of exhaustion!” ~ Mark Antony yelled, but his words fell on deaf ears. Ivan was practically sprinting up the mountain side, almost falling when his boots treaded upon the piles of rubble.

“Mr. Walker!” Ivan managed to lift himself up onto the ledge with a hand and a jump. “Mr. Walker! It’s me, Ivan! I think I know what’s causing you trouble!”

~ “And what may that be?” ~ his guardian inquired with a sarcastic raised of an imaginary eyebrow. Ivan turned to him with a smile brimming with confidence.

“Do you think Mr. Walker will be surprised that I can sometimes see the ghosts that cause all of this? He knows I can sense when something bad is going to happen, but this is something that can actually help us figure out what is going on.”

Ivan continued towards the house while Mark Antony could have hit himself with his bone club. Couldn’t a minute pass without this kid getting himself deeper into trouble? Seeing what he wasn’t supposed to see surely wasn’t a good sign. He himself had seen a Legendary fall from the sky, and though he didn’t regret saving Jirachi, look where that had gotten him!

Shaking his head, the soul straightened for a better look at Mr. Walker’s property.

Mark Antony gazed at the house, and his heart quickened at the sight of blood splatters decorating walls and foggy windows. Pieces of broken wood led the way to the livestock pen like a trail of poisoned bread crumbs. Ivan dropped him at the sight of it, and Mark Antony was quick to scurry towards the scene before his legs could give out and Ivan regained the ability to shut his mouth and assess the situation. He trudged through a small patch of flowers that were wilting to the point of kissing the ground, and he spared a glance at the pile of shingles that littered the ledge. It seemed that even this house that laid on the outskirts of the town was not spared from the decay.

“D…Den?” Ivan stammered, all of his child-like excitement vanishing in a breath of fear. The thirteen-year-old took a few steps towards the collapsed area of the fence and managed to trip on a board clawed to splinters. From his knees, he saw the dead Doduo on the ground. Every brown body was barely identifiable from each other. They were all opened carcasses that spilled sanguine blood and ripped organs. Their beige and black necks were twisted, snapped, or otherwise thrown aside. Ivan looked away, but his eyes landed on a mound of blood-drenched feathers.

~ “This is not the time to lose your nerve, Ivan!” ~ Mark Antony barked. A twinge of guilt bloomed in his chest when he saw the boy’s pale face turn a sickly shade of green. The boy had never seen something so brutal. His mind had set eyes on scattered innards, of pools of blood that made the very sky gain a shade of scarlet. Though Mark Antony could not smell a thing, he imagined Ivan was suffocating with the odor of warm meat.

Deciding that getting mad at the kid was only going to make the guilt grow -- why he even felt guilty in the first place, he did not know -- Mark Antony walked towards the mangled birds for a closer look. When he passed the fourth chunk of meat, he concluded that whatever killed the flock of Doduo was not after prey. In fact, when he stood over a Doduo that had its side slashed open and its black neck wrung, the ripped patches of meat were all accounted for.

~ “Is this really the work of ghouls?” ~ he asked the air that was pungent with the smell of death. No matter which way he turned, there were no blood tracks or evidence of a skirmish. Every Doduo had wide, frozen eyes of terror, and it only lend to the idea that they never knew what had killed them in the first place. It was as though they had been shaken in the air until whatever child had picked them up threw them aside like toys.

Mark Antony subconsciously touched his neck with a paw. Maybe it wasn't a ghost but a Pokémon with cruel powers and an unfeeling heart...

"Hey! Get away from there!"

The Cubone jumped a foot into the air and whirled around, club held out in front of him. Mark Antony relaxed slightly when it was only a middle-aged man standing before him. The stranger, garbed in a gray, long-sleeved shirt and threadbare pants stained with the blood of his flock, led a slightly-relieved Ivan away from the scene. Mark Antony was about to ignore him and investigate the bodies more when the man looked back at him with narrowed, brown eyes. Half-expecting the broad-shouldered farmer to come and drag him by the skull, the guardian begrudgingly followed the pair.

“You’re alright, Mr. Walker,” Ivan said at length. Despite his blanched face, the boy craned his head to see the bloodied corpses, but Walker turned him away. His bushy brows furrowed, and if his hands were free, he would have run one through his graying, chestnut hair in worry.

“This is not what I wanted you to see,” Walker admitted, the guilty tone that weaved his words making even Mark Antony cringe. He shouldn’t have been at the back of his house worrying about his silly, dying crops. He should have been there when Ivan reached his house to drive the kid away, away from the horrors that made him question his sanity.

“Wh…what did that?” Ivan’s words were a whisper, but the same determination from before was coming to prevail the fear that had left him breathless. There was also an odd glint in his eyes that told of something only he knew. Mark Antony actually pushed the Kantonian so he couldn’t run back and see the corpses. Ivan wouldn’t be able to stay out of trouble if he fainted after all.

Actually… No, he dashed the idea away. Death would probably clobber him with his own scythe if he thought more about it.

When Ivan reached for the door, Walker steered him to the steps instead and made him sit.

“Ivan, you shouldn’t have come,” the man began. “You shouldn’t have, not at all.”

“But, Mr. Walker!” Ivan cried, not even questioning why they weren’t inside the house. “You said weird things were happening in your property, just like in town. You’re my friend, Mr. Walker! You were the one who taught me to read and write when Father couldn’t afford to send me to school. You were the one who gave me Den so he could help Momma cultivate our plot. I had to come and help!”

Walker buried his face in his hands, suddenly looking every year of his fifty-three years. “Ivan, it’s too dangerous here. I shouldn’t have said anything about it.” He waved towards the house behind them with very troubled eyes. “Things inside my house come to life and fly around. It’s not safe.” Mark Antony saw Walker clutch his arm, his frown crinkling deeper into the folds of his sunburned skin. The gash could still be felt.

“I gave you this Cubone not only to help your mother but so he could protect you and your family,” Walker continued. His voice was firmer, and he began to stand up with Ivan in tow. “Den here was the Pokémon of a very prominent, Kantonian soldier: my son. He gave him to me once he got back from Johto, and now he’s yours.” He turned to Mark Antony. “Take him back home. Make sure he gets there in one piece.”

~ “With pleasure,” ~ the Ground-type responded, not even perturbed that the Pokémon he inhabited was once in the possession of a Kantonian soldier. This was his chance to end this ludicrous mission. With a triumphant grin that threatened to split his face in half, he pushed Ivan towards the cleared path they had taken.

“But, Mr. Walker!” Ivan yelled over his shoulder. “I can help; I know I can! We can go into town and say that ghosts did this!”

“Ghosts…?” Walker echoed in question. His mind ran over everything he didn’t find among the carcasses of his Doduo, and he couldn’t even begin to explain the instances of when the objects in his house had come to life. Walker glanced at the mountains that served as a tunnel to the cities in the south. Spontaneous rock slides kept the townspeople from going through.

“Yeah, ghosts!” Ivan responded. Mark Antony stopped pushing the kid when Walker fell into silence and his charge’s voice fluctuated between certainty and uncertainty. Ivan turned around, his face contorted into many different expressions. “Every time something new happened in town, something that couldn’t be explained, I saw shadows in the corners of my vision. Every day now, I get cold, and I feel watched.”

His bottom lip quivered slightly when he recalled the chills that had racked his spine, his entire body, earlier that very day. He had tried to shrug it away then, but now that he was confessing what he saw and felt, a thorn of fear was growing within his heart. As though he could rip it away, Ivan clutched his vest.

"Back there, in the pen," his words left his lips again. "I saw shadows surrounding the Doduo, and I could even hear that they were angry!"

"Ivan..." The farmer walked towards the kid, his eyes wide with concern and newfound terror. "You cannot get yourself involved in this! I will go and inform the council of my problems, whether they're ghouls or not."

Ivan angrily stared up at the man's face as though he was the phantom that had claimed the lives of the Pokémon. Even when his shoulders were clasped by Walker, his chin was stubbornly thrust forward. "You won't go; I can see it in your eyes!"

"Ivan, please, go," Walker nearly begged. All the harshness his voice had carried was gone, but it seemed the green-eyed boy was oblivious to the man's plea. Mark Antony recognized the pride and loyalty on his charge's face; his own expression, after all, had often mirrored Ivan's. But the kid was crazy, raving mad, if he thought that he alone could put a stop to this.

When Mark Antony tried to push Ivan along, the boy suddenly jumped over him and ran back towards the pen. Both he and Walker turned around as one and cursed.

~ "Ivan!" ~ Mark Antony ran after him. He tripped once, twice, but he didn't care. For some reason, his heart was thudding madly in his chest. For some reason, Ivan's dead body flashed in his mind and made him sick to his stomach.

For some reason, he found himself wishing he was back in his normal form to take Ivan in his arms.

Do I actually care about whether this kid lives or dies? came the mental question. When there was a beat of silence, another thought weaved itself into his mind. He reminds me of myself...

"Stop terrorizing Mr. Walker's place! Get away from here!"

~ "Damn it!" ~ Mark Antony cursed upon hearing Ivan's commands echo around him. He slid into view and saw Ivan standing directly in the center of the carnage. He faced the sky but had grown silent with terror and the repeating thought of, What am I doing? Outstretched arms shook in their sockets. His chest nearly fell still with his shallow breathing.

Then Mark Antony began to see the shadows Ivan had been haunted by all along.

They crawled from the corpses like creatures of the night. Their forms morphed from the shadows the mountainsides cast. Once the air grew thick with their anger and frustration, however, their wispy forms evaporated to leave behind nothing but their overbearing presence.

Without thinking twice, Mark Antony leaped in front of Ivan and emitted an animalistic growl from deep within his throat. Every Pokémon instinct in his mind swelled to the surface. The scales upon his body tingled with the supernatural energy that swirled around them and forced the pair to take deep, steadying breaths. Ivan took a step back, his mouth moving silently. A prayer? More demands? Mark Antony couldn’t tell.

The air was now so dense with malice that even the human Walker felt it chill his bones. With trembling knees, he forced himself to walk towards Ivan’s paralyzed form. Mark Antony felt a shift in the air’s energy, and both him and Ivan turned around. While the human could say nothing, the Cubone waved his bone club, shouting in his Pokémon tongue for the farmer to stay away. Walker was deaf to the evil whispers that swirled with the wind. He grabbed the stock-still Ivan in his arms and tried to drag him back to the safety of the yard.

“Leave the boy alone!” he bellowed, his eyes frantically searching his surroundings for a sign of the shadows Ivan could see. “You’ll never get what you want!” In his muddled thoughts, Walker believed with every fiber of his being that these ghouls were after Ivan and nothing else. “Go home! Go away! Go ba-!”

He was cut short by an invisible hand crushing his windpipe. Ivan struggled when both he and the immobilized Walker were lifted into the air. His own breaths were getting harder and harder to get out, and each attempt at breathing filled him with horror. Ivan looked down at Mark Antony with petrified eyes. Though he himself began feeling a force crushing his chest, the guardian had enough strength to jump up and pull the kid out of Walker’s frozen grip. Both of them fell on the ground, and Mark Antony dragged a stumbling Ivan away.

~ “Forget about him!” ~ he told Ivan when the human saw an unconscious Walker drop to the ground. The man’s chest was rising and falling with difficulty. His throat was beginning to gain claw-shaped bruises that spread to his face and chest like poison.

“Den, I see them!” he yelled as they exited the pen and began to run down the path Mark Antony had cleared for them. “They’re not just shadows anymore! They have shapes! And faces, too!”

~ “Death, if you’re here right now,” ~ Mark Antony addressed the cloudy sky. ~ I’m pretty sure Ivan’s sixth sense has manifested into something bigger.” ~

“Den, we have to tell someone!” The soul was relieved that Ivan was sane enough this time around to run away rather than go back for Walker. Ivan glanced at the house but then quickly looked away before his newly-heightened sixth sense made him see something too terrifying for his frazzled mind to handle.

But who will believe a kid? Mark Antony wondered exasperatedly. Even I find this situation hard to wrap my mind around.

He at least knew now that Ivan really was in danger.

_____

A/N: Short chapter is short, but hey, it'll pick up in the next chapter.

For some reason, this chapter was both hard and easy to write. Maybe it was because of some of the changes I did in this chapter. I had planned for something a little bit different. However, though, this works better. I'm surprised I got a chapter in before school ended. Hopefully, I'll get Chapter Nine before I finish school June 3rd.

About four more chapters until Book One is finished. Oh man, I changed quite a bit of Book Two, and now I need to fit in new characters and other things. It's for the better, but I won't like going back and revising chapter outlines, even if it is by a bit. I should probably do that before I get started on Chapter Nine.

Ahaha! See? Cubone in the special chapter was a bit of foreshadowing. There's one other Pokémon in the special chapter that foreshadows a Pokémon later in the fan fic (which will become an important character). I'll leave you to guess which one it is. :P

Oh yes, the last page of this chapter marked my 100th page of My Guardian Angel, not including the Special Chapter. Damn it, it feels good to have gotten his far. 8) It's one more thing that inspires me to continue on writing.

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 05-20-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Send a message via AIM to ShionRasenka Send a message via Skype™ to ShionRasenka
Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (Chapter Eight is finally here!)

Awesome chapter PK!! Mark Antony sure has his hands full with this kid, lol. I wonder how things'll turn out... And I wonder what it was that killed those Doduo... Guess we'll find out pretty soon xDD And having him possess a Cubone was pretty interesting. I wasn't expecting that. Can't wait for the next chapter!!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShionRasenka View Post
Awesome chapter PK!! Mark Antony sure has his hands full with this kid, lol. I wonder how things'll turn out... And I wonder what it was that killed those Doduo... Guess we'll find out pretty soon xDD And having him possess a Cubone was pretty interesting. I wasn't expecting that. Can't wait for the next chapter!!
*nods* He'll have his hands full, alright. And thank you! :3

Hehe, this chapter, and the concept of Mark Antony's job really, reminds me of this fan fic I read: Warp Series Despite the fact that I read it years ago, I still think it somehow influenced my fan fic. :P

- Kat

Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

I've been meaning to do a movie poster for My Guardian Angel for a long while. I swear, I went through so many concepts. I was making it too complicated. I wanted to add everybody. I then had two new characters I added to the story, so I had to make room for them. When I drew this draft, I decided that Mark Antony's pose was too bland and the girl's was off (and she didn't look like herself). When I drew her on a separate paper, Mark Antony just didn't want to be drawn. I'm amazed I'm not swimming in eraser shavings right now. Then when I couldn't trace what I liked on the other paper on this new one, I just cut Mark Antony and the girl and taped on the first paper.

*pants and breaths*

But I finally finished the rough draft today. Began to lineart. I have to say: it's looking better than I had hoped so far. ^-^

SNEAK PEEK TIME!

Quote:

Need to fix the girl's hair, but it's turning out good so far. She looked horrible in recently scrapped pose I had of her. Who is she? You'll see!

Remember, work in progress. The lineart will be fixed as I go along. ;) (The scythe will get better! xD)

- Kat

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot. Chapter Nine is finished; it just needs to be proofread.

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 06-13-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:18 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Send a message via AIM to ShionRasenka Send a message via Skype™ to ShionRasenka
Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (Sneek Peek on Fic Poster!)

Oooooo, I'm liking that poster so far, PK!! Mark Antony looks great, and so does the girl. As for the scythe, I know you said it will get better, but I have a bit of critique if you'd accept it: Make the skull larger. That will probably help make the scythe look more appropriately proportioned. Otherwise it look fine. ^^ Can't wait to see the finished product PK!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Oooooo, I'm liking that poster so far, PK!! Mark Antony looks great, and so does the girl. As for the scythe, I know you said it will get better, but I have a bit of critique if you'd accept it: Make the skull larger. That will probably help make the scythe look more appropriately proportioned. Otherwise it look fine. ^^ Can't wait to see the finished product PK!!!
Bigger skull, got ya! ^-^ While I am at it, I'll Google some skulls and try to get it as anatomically correct as possible. ;) Thanks a lot for the comment!

Most of the lineart is done. Mew and Celebi are definitely the trickiest characters to get right, especially Celebi. Surprisingly, the characters that I never draw (like Death) look better. xD

Gracias a Dios that it's summer. I don't have to worry about other stuff.

- Kat

Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Not a problem PK, glad to help!! And yes, researching will definitely help. I sometimes have to research myself when I draw something.

Really? Celebi's more hard to draw than Death?? Wow, I would have thought the other way around xDD But I'm sure it'll turn out great!! Keep up the awesome work!!

Yes, thank God that school's just about over for me.... Two of my classes ended last week, and today's my final day in another class I think, so after that, I'm free until July!! WOOT!!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Not a problem PK, glad to help!! And yes, researching will definitely help. I sometimes have to research myself when I draw something.

Really? Celebi's more hard to draw than Death?? Wow, I would have thought the other way around xDD But I'm sure it'll turn out great!! Keep up the awesome work!!

Yes, thank God that school's just about over for me.... Two of my classes ended last week, and today's my final day in another class I think, so after that, I'm free until July!! WOOT!!
Yep, Celebi is hard to draw for me. It's hard getting the proportionos just right to make it look cherub-like. I just drew Death's head, but still, he's way easier to draw. xD

I'm glad to hear school is almost over for you. ^-^ Summer vacation is just a great thing.

I finished getting all the base colors yesterday. I just need to do shading, background, and text. But now, I'm actually going to start proofreading Chapter Nine. :P

EDIT: *facepalms* I still have Chapter Nine as (Untitled). I should think of a name now, huh?

- Kat

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 06-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Ya, it might be good if you named the chapter xDD But take your time. No need to rush into it. I have trouble naming chapters and fics/stories myself, so you're not alone.

And yes, ALL PRAISE THE SUMMER VACATION!!! xDDD I'm gonna be going to an anime con in July, so I have to talk to my teachers about my homework and that crud.... Hopefully they'll be nice teachers and let me make it up and won't count me absent.... I won't be able to handle these classes if my teacher are royal jerks.... *shudders*
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Song for this chapter: Lavander Town from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

_____

Chapter 9

Our Desperate Hour

/Not bad, Mark Antony,/ came Death’s voice. /Not bad./

Mark Antony groaned loudly, yet his voice sounded far away. When he shifted, his movements were slow, sluggish, and distant, as though he was moving a puppet rather than his own body. Opening his mouth to speak proved to be too much of a strenuous task for his exhausted body, so he instead transformed his snarky words into thoughts.

‘Not bad’ what? he queried, wishing he could have growled the words. A realization as to how Death could be talking to him when he wasn’t even sure if he was alive was slow in coming, but when it did, a start ran though his motionless body. Feeling a bolt of pain racing through his limbs but unable to vocalize it, he instead thought, How are you talking to me? Telepathy?

/Yes, telepathy, but since you’re currently unconscious, I do not have to be in the area to communicate. I can simply access your mind from wherever I am with a simple thought. It also works when you’re asleep while in a Pokémon’s body./ Death then gained a whimsical tone to his thoughts. /The mind is much more susceptible to the psychic and paranormal world when its guard is down./

Mark Antony could have slapped his forehead at his luck. He settled for directing as much sarcasm to his thoughts as possible. Besides, as Death had said, he was far away and unable to do anything to him, such as clobbering him with his own scythe. Lovely to think that even my dreams will be haunted.

Death was silent in the crevices of Mark Antony’s mind for a heartbeat, possibly wondering why the soul insisted on turning every situation into something unfavorable. /Don’t think of it as haunted. Think of it as a connection that can help you in the most dire of times. Also, you can keep me updated on your mission./

At the mention of his job, Mark Antony became more conscious of his body and the tiredness that reigned over every one of his bones. Again he tried to move his arm, but it simply wouldn’t obey him. When he tried to recall why he was like this, only fuzzy images popped into his mind. The dead Doduo were dancing before him one moment, and then he saw the bottom of the mountain, then houses that made up Lavender Town. As he traveled through the snippets of memories, he felt Ivan’s clammy, shaking hand in his paw the whole time.

I managed to bring Ivan back to the town, I’m guessing, he told the grim reaper as much as he told himself. And I guess I must have been so tired from before that I just collapsed after it was done.

/It seems that way, and like I praised before, you did a good job utilizing Cubone’s attacks to get Ivan out of there./

Don’t tell me you shifted through my memories, Mark Antony said at length. Oh how he wished he could speak his words instead of just thinking them! There was no such thing as implied threats in thoughts.

/You actually mentioned you got Ivan out of there with those special moves before you slipped deeper into unconsciousness,/ Death frankly told him, and he seemed to be smiling when he added, /I can’t read someone’s mind, but if I could, I could certainly figure you out better./

My mind is not a place you would like to be in, the former sergeant told him, though he wasn’t exactly sure if it was supposed to be another jibe at Death or a serious warning. There were times he himself didn’t want to wander too far down his own memory lane. Yes, there were moments of victory he liked to replay in his mind to boost his own ego, but there were also events he would give anything to forget.

Gradually, as Mark Antony was contemplating if his victories outweighed the bad times, he heard voices coming left and right. Some recognition fluttered within him when he caught the Kantonian dialect that made every word guttural and rough to his Johtonian ears. As they became louder and his movements became more pronounced, Mark Antony felt that whatever connection he had with Death was beginning fray and disappear like a dream that was unraveling at the seams. The guardian caught the feeling that the Dusknoir was bidding him farewell when he opened his eyes and looked around drowsily. One of the voices stopped speaking for a moment before it exclaimed, “Oh, Den, you’re awake!”

Ivan picked him up and did a little dance that made Mark Antony grab the boy’s arm in alarm. The spinning and fuzzy world stopped to solidify itself into the small interior of a cabin. The Cubone saw the small hallway that led to the two bedrooms for a split second before he was face to face with one tear-streaked mother and a stony father. If he had been human, Mark Antony would’ve looked down at this Kantonian man. Against Ivan’s chest, he was fully aware of his small body, the exhaustion that still racked his bones, and the fact that his bone club was somewhere on the floor. The man’s emerald gaze was more intense than that of Walker’s, and so Mark Antony couldn’t help but look away. His hurt pride was a persistent stinging in his chest.

“Why did you let my son go over there?” the tall, broad man demanded of the Pokémon. Though his dirty-blonde hair was streaked with white, there were no wrinkles on his skin to ruin the scowl he directed at Mark Antony.

Ivan stepped back when his father, Damien, reached for the Ground-type. “Dad, it wasn’t Den’s fault!” Mark Antony craned his head to catch a look at the thirteen-year-old’s defiant face. His normally fair skin was peppered with dabs of medical ointment, the blood and dirt on his cuts long since washed off. Beneath messy locks of hair, his face was flushed.

“He should have stopped you,” Damien insisted, giving Mark Antony a withering glare.

~ “My job is not to replace the role of the father,” ~ the guardian snapped now that he was out of arm’s reach from the man in the long-sleeved, filthy brown shirt. Knowing Ivan wouldn’t let his father harm a scale on his body, he continued, ~ “Though Heaven forbid you actually keep an eye on your child!” ~

Mark Antony’s tone made the father growl under his breath and make way for his lanky wife. Actually managing to slip Mark Antony from her son’s grasp, Isabella hugged the Pokémon and smiled down at him. Despite the dirt that marked her face and the paleness of her blue, cotton dress, she was beautiful in her aura of gratefulness. Amber eyes shined with new, unshed tears.

“Den, I thank you for keeping Ivan safe.”

Rarely, if ever, thanked, Mark Antony merely nodded his head as the woman’s honey-brown curls covered his face the more she hugged him. She then, however, looked down at him, her smile waning. Isabella shared a look with her husband then gave Mark Antony back to Ivan. The son hugged the Pokémon as both parents walked him back until he almost tripped on a rocking chair.

“What you did, Ivan, was foolish! Inexcusable!” Isabella’s voice climbed a pitch as her eyes filled with angry tears. Ivan flinched and tried to avert his eyes, but his mother’s gaze rooted his own. “What made you think you would be safe, Ivan? What in Mew’s holy name made you think that this was for you to be involved in?”

“Mother, I-!” he began to say. The fair-haired boy snapped his mouth shut when Damien stepped behind his spouse. His expression was that of cold granite. Though he didn’t say anything, his mere presence intimidated and willed Isabella to go on, despite the tears that freely ran down her cheeks. They felt hot and angry, and the woman hated it. She never wanted to address her son in such a way, but seeing Walker’s bruised, bloodied, and unconscious form and knowing that Ivan could have easily been the same, every motherly instinct boiled to the top.

“You are not. To leave. This house,” Isabella shakily continued. “I’ll be running the shop until this mess is sorted out.”

Ivan bit his lip because really, what could he say? He let himself fall on the rocking chair with a bowed head of defeat. His mother seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown while his father was on the verge of locking him in their wooden shed outside. Ivan felt his mother run calloused fingers through his locks of hair, heard her words of comfort. He answered something back, but the moment the words left his lips, he forgot what he had said. His mind was on Walker’s prone form lying on a bed in the local physician’s house. Would he make it through the night? Nobody was sure.

~ “Hey, you’re not listening!” ~ Mark Antony snapped at a dazed Ivan. He had a sinking feeling that his charge’s mind was not on the safety of his well-being.

After a moment of more words he didn’t listen to, Ivan lifted his head and asked in a voice void of all his past vibrato and confidence, “Is Mr. Walker alright?”

Isabella and Damien halted in mid-scold. His mother began to caress his cheek and form more comforting words, but Ivan knew all he needed to know. He stood up and walked towards the hallway behind him, Mark Antony still in tow.

“I’ll be going to bed.”

The Cubone looked up with suspicious, narrowed eyes.

He’s planning something, he mused as Ivan silently opened the door to his room.

When he was placed on a bundle of rags on the floor- Den’s bed, he sorely realized- Mark Antony leaned back on the wall, hearing Ivan sit on his bed. A flare of orange light was seen from the corner of his eye, and he turned around with a start. Ivan held a bright ember in a gloved hand, his small smile illuminated like a Jack-o-Lantern’s. As Mark Antony wondered when the boy had snatched an ember from the fireplace pit the town-owned Arcanine filled, Ivan used it to light the candlestick on his bedside table.

“Good thing an Arcanine’s fire can burn for days,” Ivan said to him, a harsh frown just barely visible on his face. He looked out the window beside him. “With the mayor’s Arcanine ill, he hasn’t be able to give embers to the families in Lavender for a week. In a couple of days, we won’t be able to cook our food…”

Placing the ember and the Tauros-hide glove next to the candlestick, Ivan promptly laid back on his bed and watched as the candle’s flame tried to throw its feeble light towards the wooden chest at the front of his bed. It only succeeded in illuminating the window’s glass.

There was an hour of silence in where Ivan looked at the ceiling, his arms behind his head. Mark Antony crossed his arms and watched his charge as though the human would jump through the window if he dared blink. More than once the guardian nodded off. Every time he snapped his head upright, his skull helmet banged the wall and made him jump. Ivan looked on in amusement, but his green eyes were clouded with a thought he kept turning over in his mind.

You’re going to do something the moment I fall asleep, Mark Antony mentally accused. His eyes were getting harder and harder to open.

“My parents should be asleep now.” Mark Antony blinked the sleepiness away a couple of times before looking up at Ivan. The Kantonian’s fair hair seemed white when Ivan leaned closer to his Pokémon. The vision reminded the soul that the boy was getting closer and closer to dying. Sitting up, the sleepiness evaporated. Again, Mark Antony had to wonder if he was starting to care about Ivan. It seemed the line that separated “caring” and “guardian duty” had begun to blur.

“Nothing will wake them up but the morning sun now,” Ivan told him, seemingly pleased by this. He sat back and rested his arms on his knees. “I’ve been thinking. We can’t do this by ourselves, Den. We need to tell the city council. If the city knows, something we’ll get done.”

~ “What can you do against something that you can’t see?” ~ Mark Antony wondered aloud. Here was Ivan, possibly the only person in Lavender that could vaguely see the source of all this trouble, and he was helpless. What would a bunch of normal humans do?

Ivan sensed Mark Antony’s doubt and lowered his eyes to his hands. “I don’t know what they’ll do, but they’ll do something,” he assured himself. That mysterious, thoughtful light that had been dancing in his eyes for the past hour returned. “There is a fortune teller on the outskirts of town, towards Celadon. She might know more about this than anybody else.”

That’s his answer? A fortune teller? Mark Antony resisted the urge to put a paw to his shaking head. Have we really grown this desperate.

“I don’t want to visit her either,” Ivan admitted as he wrung his hands nervously. “She lives out there for a reason. They she curses anybody that dares to touch her crops.” He bit his lip and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he looked out the window. “Tomorrow I’ll go to the town hall and explain what happened. I know I’m not to leave the house, but if I can convince Mother, she might come.”

~ “Adults are hard to sway from their beliefs,” ~ the Cubone warned, though he knew that even if Ivan understood him, he wouldn’t have listened. The kid seemed to be the kind that believed adults could fix everything with minimal effort. Ivan was obviously ignorant of the Region War going on in Johto and in the shores of Kanto’s islands.

After Ivan snuffed out the candle’s flame and changed to go to bed. Mark Antony finally decided it was safe to fall asleep. He had never been religious, but he prayed to any deity that was willing to hear that Death would not invade his dreams. When enough prayers (and threats) were made, he curled into a ball and promptly fell asleep.

_____

His dreams were Death-less and filled only with childhood memories Ivan’s presence had spawned. Though his childhood wasn’t the happiest around, his ten-year-old dream self smiled as he sparred with his father. They traded staff hits and words he didn’t catch. Mark Antony would repeatedly get backed up into a wall or a corner that blended with the background.

Something was off.

Mark Antony quickly blocked a hit, but when staff met staff, a hair-raising ting! reached his ears. Again and again it rung until he finally dropped his staff and whirled around.

He started awake and uncurled himself to sit up and look around with bleary eyes. Mark Antony, back as a Cubone, spotted a bright orange object dancing before him. With drunken steps, he stepped closer and saw the still-lit ember repeatedly hitting the window with the ringing sound that had invaded his dreams. Mark Antony stood there, watching the spectacle, until it clicked that this wasn’t normal. The fog lifted from his mind and made him scramble on top of Ivan’s bed to check it out.

“Den, wha?” the boy mumbled, refusing to open his eyes. Ivan opted to try and swat away the Ground-type, but Mark Antony was already on the bedside table..

~ “Curious…” ~ the guardian said beneath his breath. The ember bounced against his palm when he put a paw in its path. He grabbed it, and the lit coal struggled like a soul trying to fly back into its body. Upon releasing it, it resumed its redundant bumping. ~ “Curiouser.” ~

“Is that the Ember?” Ivan sat up and leaned forward. Fingers were tentatively held near the lit coal, but Mark Antony was more interested in what laid outside the window. Paws on the pane of glass, he peered out and saw tiny speckles of light floating from opened windows, chimney chutes, and the cracks beneath doors.

Ivan turned towards the strange sight. His eyes were wide and filled with the light of the floating ember. “Den, I see the shadows carrying them!” he exclaimed, nose pressed against the glass; Mark Antony had to grab hold of the flying coal so it didn’t set Ivan’s hair on fire. The boy tilted his head in thought. “They actually look a bit like Pokémon.”

I think his sixth sense is getting stronger, Mark Antony noted. He frowned, looking at the ember’s burning core. Would this prove to be good or bad?

“Hey, Den.” Ivan’s voice made him look up, and Mark Antony practically face palmed. Those green eyes held the light of adventure and determination. “Let go of the ember. I’ll open the window and see where all of them are going.”

~ “Arceus help me,” ~ the guardian angel muttered, but he obeyed and let go. Standing there, worrying, wasn’t going to do a thing. Besides, Mark Antony knew full well that Ivan would take off without him if he did not.

The window was lifted open. Lazily, the ember floated off into the night to join with the stream of burning coals that trailed from the houses. The single line they formed marched on into the darkness. Ivan wasted no time in ridding himself of his bed covers to climb through the window as silently as a Meowth. By the time Mark Antony retrieved his bone club from the floor and climbed out, his charge was creeping closer and closer to the embers, eyes glazed over. He grabbed the boy by a pajama leg before his outstretched hand came any closer. Ivan rocked back on the balls of his bare feet and blinked himself back into reality. He then stepped away, his face pale.

“What did I just do?” he asked, shaking his fair hair with his hands as though to rid himself of any other stupid thoughts. Ivan stared back at the bobbing embers before averting his gaze to the ground. “It’s like I can’t look directly at them without going mad!”

Mark Antony raised his head, but he couldn’t see a thing around those floating coals. Still, the oppressive feeling of dread clung to his scales. Ivan was no fool. He stayed away from the embers and close to his Pokémon.

“Come on, we have to find out where these things are taking the embers to.” Ivan ran ahead, his eyes always focused on a spot above the moving line of coals. Mark Antony followed suit, his own gaze always flicking warily over his shoulder. No more embers were being harvested from the houses. The sense of foreboding grew stronger until it was an unseen force pressing over his chest. Pokémon were more attuned to the supernatural, he had concluded. If he was feeling the ghosts’ presence now, things were not looking up.

“Den!” The Cubone faced forward and saw Ivan’s shell-shocked figure illuminated by the standstill embers in front of him. No, they weren’t still; they were being arranged around one of the houses by an invisible hand. Mark Antony ran faster just as Ivan frantically called him again. “Den!”

Skidding to a halt, Mark Antony looked upon the ring of coals, his fangs bared. That horrible feeling in his stomach intensified. He could imagine those ghosts grinning at him, taunting him. There was going to be nothing more satisfying than to wipe those smirks off their faces.

He ran up and send the coals flying with a sweep of his club. Mark Antony raised his club again, but he froze in his tracks: an unseen hand held him by the throat.

~ “Let… go!” ~ Mark Antony growled. Before he could get another word out, he was tossed aside.

Mark Antony hit the ground, the wind knocked out of him. He heard Ivan’s alarmed call somewhere through the ringing in his ears. The Cubone searched blindly for his club as the scent of smoke began to appear in the air. Upon hearing running footsteps, he straightened and looked around. His eyes widened. ~ “No! Ivan!” ~

That same hand gripped Ivan’s forearm. The human glanced down and met with scarlet orbs. His breath hitched in his throat, yet he still struggled against the iron hold. Blood trickled down as the all-too-real claws dug into him and ripped his skin like paper. Ivan crumpled to the ground with a heart-wrenching yell. Otherworldly fingers tightened and began to lift him into the air. Unlike Mark Antony, the terrified boy could not say a word.

Faster than he thought possible, Mark Antony rammed himself into Ivan’s side.

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 06-23-2010 at 10:09 PM.