Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (Sneek Peek on Fic Poster!)

“AGHH!” the Kantonian yelled when they both hit the ground. Ivan clutched his arm and felt the warm blood soak his fingers. He trembled in apprehension when a breeze ruffled his locks of hair. As much as he didn’t want to, he turned around. Mark Antony felt chills run up his spine, and he, too, whirled around in horror.

Fire flared up the moment the mysterious gust swelled again. The minuscule embers were lost in the flames that reached for the wooden walls of the house. Ivan took off in the direction of the rising flames and the shadows he saw dancing alongside them. He then fell to the ground when Mark Antony swept him off his feet with a quick-thinking Boomerang.

Damn him! Mark Antony leapt and caught the bone club. As Ivan looked up when the first horror-filled scream came from the house, the Cubone grabbed his foot and dragged him back with all the strength he could muster.

“Stop it, Den!” the thirteen-year-old cried. Mark Antony avoided his flailing foot and only tugged harder, feeling the flames creep closer to them. The fire was being controlled by beings that wanted nothing more than to stop them from interfering. There was no way he was going to let Ivan anywhere close to the house.

Another scream rent the air. Ivan lunged forward, his emerald eyes glaring at the apparitions only he could see. Sweat began to trickle down his face as sluggishly as the blood on his arm. He squinted not only at the taunting ghosts but at the flames that were now near enough to touch. If he could see these malicious spirits, maybe he could grab them and pull them away from the flames. People were being burned! By making the ghosts go away, he could save them! He could-!

Ivan slumped to the ground, unconscious the moment the bone club hit his skull.

~ “That felt as good as I had hoped,” ~ Mark Antony surmised. He shouldered his club just as the houses around them emptied horrified villagers. Barefoot and drunk with the lingering sleepiness, they stumbled towards the lit house. Ivan’s limp body went unnoticed among the continuing screams that rose with the growing fire and thickening smoke.

“The Hackleborns are inside!” one woman screamed above the crackling fire and the tumbling of wooden supports.

“Somebody get Green!” rose another shout. “He has a Poliwhirl!”

Through the mayhem of panicked civilians and running men that dashed through the still-standing doorway of the burning house, Mark Antony dragged his unconscious charge away by the collar of his shirt. Those wails that had shattered the silent night actually made his heart ache and his gaze switch to the hellfire.

Those people weren’t his concern. Ivan was the one who was going to die without his help. That stubborn kid was his one and only responsibility.

Would he have rushed in there if it was a Johtonian family that was in trouble? For once, he was unsure of his loyalties.

To avoid coming to an answer he disliked, Mark Antony focused on dragging Ivan away from the chaos. A beat later, somebody picked up the boy’s body, initiating a cry of surprise from the Pokémon that still clung to the kid’s shirt collar. Mark Antony raised his bone club, but it was taken away by the stranger’s calloused hand.

“Calm down, little one,” the man grunted. “I’ll take Ivan back to his parents.” With only the fire behind them to illuminate, Mark Antony made out the civilian’s tall and bulky frame. He easily picked the Ground-type in one hand and placed him on the ground. Mark Antony crossed his arms and scowled when he saw that the stranger was not going to give him back his bone club. The trivial matter allowed Mark Antony to ignore the fact that this man was doing what he couldn’t do in such a small body: carry Ivan away.

Both of his parents were found outside of their house moments later. Damien took his son in his arms and immediately noticed the gruesome gash that ravaged half of Ivan’s arm. Mark Antony inhaled in shock. Why hadn’t he noticed that the cut was so extensive? Why hadn’t Ivan been screaming in agony? The guardian took a step forward, but a shadowed glare from the father made him freeze in his tracks.

“Ivan!” Isabella called to her son. Her nightgown and loose hair fluttered against the ominous wind that still fueled the flames. The sparks of ember that floated in the air lit the child’s pallid face and the father’s horror-stricken eyes. With the air so heavy with heat, why did her blood run cold? Isabella held Ivan’s cheeks in shaking hands. “Ivan, please, speak to me!”

Ivan said not a word. It wasn’t until he was being carried into his house that he managed to mumble broken sentences of ghosts, shadows, and ill-feelings of revenge that filled his being. Mark Antony didn’t let his guard down until Ivan, still teetering between reality and unconsciousness, was put to bed. Even then, when he would try to get some sleep, the image of Ivan’s bandaged arm sprang into mind and refused to let him rest.

_____

Two people died in last night’s fire. The words swam in Ivan’s mind. When he placed his throbbing head in his hands, he could still hear the words echoing in the same hushed tone his mother had used hours ago. Ivan shifted in his seat, even tried to focus on the pain that radiated in his injured arm, but the words only melted to give away to the screams he heard last night.

Oh Mew, why couldn’t he have been fast and brave enough to go into that burning house? Little Anneth Hackleborn would have been playing outside right now. Marian Hackleborn would have been helping her mother cook breakfast this morning. The mere realization that none of these things were happening tore his heart in two. Their wails of fright haunted him, but he would never hear their voices again. It didn’t matter that he hardly knew them. From now on, every time he would walk down the streets of Lavender Town, something would be missing.

“Stupid, stupid,” he miserably chanted, lowering his head until he was almost doubled up in his own depression. Ivan’s troubled eyes looked through disheveled bangs. He entertained the idea of hitting his bandaged arm against something. Maybe the feeling of having his flesh cut open again would drown out those screams and words.

He felt Mark Antony’s gaze on him, and if the people of Lavender weren’t afraid of treading outside, they would have also stared at him with mixed stares of concern and wariness. They were told by those in the town council that they had no idea who or what had placed the coals. Paranoia spread until everywhere but the crop fields was deserted.

“It’s ghosts,” Ivan told himself. He straightened and craned his head to look at the building he was sitting in front of. The town hall was one of the only two buildings in Lavender Town made from stone rather than wood. While Geostone was an inexpensive mix of many different stones Rock and Ground-type Pokémon naturally produced, its onyx and amber coloration was enough to send a shiver down the spine of anybody who had to go inside. The building was imposing with its cold-to-the-touch stone and the twin Arcanine statues that guarded the entrance.

Even he, despite last night’s conversation with Mark Antony, had been hesitant in coming. His mother had strode into the building with Ivan’s story about coal-carrying ghosts ready to be told. Did she believe him? It was hard to tell with Isabella’s sleep deprived gaze. She at least hadn’t called him superstitious or out of his mind. His father had been even harder to read. Before the thirteen-year-old could determine how the man felt, Damien left for the fields.

“They’re not believing her,” Ivan told the Cubone at his side. Mark Antony looked up as the Kantonian wrung his hands in doubt. The guardian had sneaked into the building upon Ivan’s orders to see how his mother fared with the councilmen. He had returned with a shake of his head. After that, Ivan’s mood considerably darkened, and his mind began to think up of one more scenario he hadn’t foreseen.

“They might send me and lock me up in that place in Saffron,” he managed to get out in a dry whisper. Fear made him slump in his bench. “They put the people that have delusions and paranoia in there. They are never cured and can never see their families again.”

Ivan abruptly stood up and spat to the people inside the building, “You’ll never believe me!” That’s when the tears began to overflow his eyes. Ivan wiped some of them away, but he could not keep out the quiver in his voice. “You’ll never find out what really happened!”

Like a marionette that had its strings cut, he crumpled back on the bench and buried his face in his hands once more. Sobs for Walker, Anneth, Marian, and himself left him. Fear, anger, and frustration made up the tears that soaked his hands. A part of Ivan reprimanded him for being so weak again, yet the other half felt that the entire world was being lifted from his shoulders.

~ “Ivan,” ~ Mark Antony said with a sigh. He thought back to the council men he had spied on. They reminded him of himself, or the self that he had been when alive. They talked with superiority and intelligence, but they knew nothing of the supernatural. Each and every one of them was so ignorant of this whole other world that it made Mark Antony cringe at the thought that he had been just like that.

Had… Ivan’s crying strung a note in his own heart. Why did his death seem so long ago in once instance and so alien in the next?

~ “I’ll get used to it,” ~ he concluded aloud to better distract himself. Mark Antony picked up his bone club and looked around. What was he going to do when Isabella returned? What if the nut jobs that ran this town really did decide to send Ivan to some mental institution in Saffron?

As Mark Antony gazed around him, Ivan said between subsiding sobs, “D-Den, maybe we shoul-d visit that fortune teller.” Upon meeting Mark Antony’s shocked face --or what he could see behind the skull-- the boy took a deep breath and explained, “She’ll be the only one wh-who’ll understand that ghosts are the ones doing this.”

~ “But you don’t know a thing about her! Who’s to say she isn’t insane and dangerous!” ~ Mark Antony exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air in sheer frustration. He was sick and tired of Ivan walking himself into dangerous situations.

Upon seeing his Pokémon’s vexed expression and raised club, Ivan held his hands out in front of him; his head still stung from last night’s knock out. “Well what do you want me to do?!” he demanded with a dry sob, the last tears falling from his eyes. Ivan sniffed and looked around him. “Do you want more people to die?! If nobody believes Mother, those ghosts won’t be stopped! ”

Typical: he’s only thinking of other people and not himself, Mark Antony thought with a roll of his eyes. He half-expected for Death to pop up and say that he was like that himself, but all Mark Antony got was Ivan standing up and looking down the trail like a man about to do battle.

“If we don’t go now, we’ll never get to escape Mother and Father’s watchful gazes.” Ivan turned around to face a frowning Cubone. Mark Antony looked away when the Kantonian knelt in front of him. Ivan took the creature’s paws and looked on pleadingly. “Please, Den, please come. I can’t do this without you.”

Which is exactly why I’m not going, Mark Antony mentally retorted.

“Den, we have to help. Two people died. Mr. Walker is still unconscious…” Ivan trailed off. Mark Antony thought he was remembering the deceased girls until he spoke the frail words, “If we can’t prove it’s ghosts, they’ll think I’m mad. They’ll send me to Saffron and never let me out.”

Mark Antony faced the pale boy, incredulous. Did Ivan actually care about his own well-being for a change?

“I know the fortune teller is said to curse people, but,” Ivan looked down at the ground, “I think I already am cursed. It’s getting worse. Even right now, from the corner of my eye, I can see the faint shapes of Pokémon.”

The Ground-type started at this new piece of information. He hadn’t felt anything. Ivan’s sixth sense was growing too fast for his liking.

“Help me get to the bottom of this, Den, please.” Those emerald eyes held his, and for the life of him -- Mark Antony cringed at his word choice -- he couldn’t look away.

Arceus help me. He’s right, Mark Antony internally growled. They’ll ship him off to Saffron if he can’t come up with proof.

Grudgingly, the Cubone nodded.

Ivan brightened, and his eyes no longer seemed on the verge of tearing. “Thank you, Den,” he whispered. “Thank you.”

The boy picked him up and hugged him close, as though afraid Mark Antony would change his mind and run away. Ivan looked down the dirt trail, biting his lip in hesitancy despite what he had just said. He was already cursed, but what if the fortune teller could make it worse? One misunderstanding might lead to a life full of ghosts forever haunting his dreams.

~ “Well?” ~ the Pokémon queried from his arms.

Ivan cast his doubts aside and looked on ahead with unusually serious eyes.

“Let’s go.”

_____

Unlike the last time the duo journeyed to the outskirts of Lavender Town, time stretched on indefinitely. Every silent house they passed served as another testimony to the depressing pall that hung over the town. Their dash to this rumored woman was mad and frantic. If Ivan so much as slowed down, the thought that his mother had realized he was gone by now caught up with him. With it came the unbearable sting of guilt. The ache in his heart was just as painful as the bandaged gash on his arm.

Eventually, the trail gave away to dirt and frail trees that creaked in the wind. Once again, there were no longer houses at either side of them. That mere fact chilled Ivan to the core, as though it condemned them to a fate they could never turn back from. Ivan took one last look at his dry and barren surroundings before hesitantly switching his gaze to the shack that laid in front of them.

~ “It’s certainly nothing to boast about,” ~ Mark Antony remarked from the Kantonian’s arms. Red eyes slightly narrowed. He knew from experience that places were never as they seemed. Plus, it would be hard to escape if need be.

He felt Ivan gulp in apprehension. “For a while, I haven’t seen any ghosts or shadows,” he whispered. “I think they’re afraid of her.”

Mark Antony pointed his bone club, and Ivan took the sign and began to walk forward. He left the last dry sapling behind him, and now he had nothing to avert his gaze to. He was forced to stare at the small, somewhat crooked shack with its gray and rotting wood. Ivan knew his nerves were getting the better of him when he imagined the fortune teller seeing them approach from the holes that dotted some of the wooden boards. He shook his head and glanced at the sole window of the shack. Cracked and opaque, he couldn’t tell if there was actually someone inside.

What if she wasn’t even home? Though Ivan thought it to be ridiculous for such a strange woman to have business elsewhere, the doubt still lingered.

By the time we get to the door, it’ll be dusk, Mark Antony mused crossly. If we were in enemy territory, shots would have rang out, and Ivan would have bee-

Suddenly, the door to the shack swung open. “If you’re going to come, then come quickly!”

Ivan started in surprise and fell backward on his rear while Mark Antony was dropped unceremoniously to the ground.

The woman that leaned against the rickety door shook her head, embarrassed that such a jumpy kid was on her property. “I don’t want you to continue looking like a thief. Either come or go away.”

Ivan jumped to his feet, dodged a swipe from an angered Mark Antony, and went towards the surprisingly young woman. She was middle-aged and not sporting the disheveled gray hair he had imagined. With her dusty-brown locks tied back into a bun, the lanky fortune teller’s startling sapphire eyes were free to analyze the boy.

“Do you intend to come in?” The woman dusted her flowing orange skirt and picked imaginary specks of dust from her black, short-sleeved vest in boredom. Mark Antony instantly disliked her attitude.

“Yes, right!” Ivan scooped an irate Cubone in his arms and walked towards her, his jaw still threatening to open in shock. The woman’s eyes flickered over to the pair, still uninterested as ever.

That all changed when Ivan stepped through the doorway. Her eyes widened, and she visibly jumped. With considerably more interest, she watched Ivan go inside.

“Are you rea-really the fortune teller?” came the kid’s voice.

Normally, she would have gone into a scathing rant about how everybody thought of her as an old crone based upon the rumors that floated around, but she only responded with an offhand, “I am Miranda, the fortune teller you’ve heard of, yet certainly not the one you’ve imagined.”

Ivan cringed. “I guess I was just surprised you were so…” He trailed off and focused on the cot and heap of clothes he saw on the far right wall.

“Young?” Miranda ventured with a laugh that was much more pleasant than her earlier shout. “Yes, I do get that. Thirty-six just seems too ridiculous for most people. Seventy and senile sounds much more believable.”

Miranda signaled for Ivan for sit on the plush lavender pillow on one side of the center table, and she sat on the opposite end, cross-legged and leaning forward to stare intently at the boy. Ivan had been gazing at the unusual objects hung from the rafters -- was that really a glass butterfly? -- when he caught sight of that blue gaze upon him. He shifted uncomfortably while Mark Antony crossed his arms in suspicion from where he sat on Ivan’s lap. The crystal ball mounted in the center of the table was translucent enough for him to see Miranda’s plotting smirk.

“I-”

“Both of you are very curious creatures,” Miranda interrupted Ivan. Her smirk grew. “You are doused with energy that is not from this world.”

Mark Antony couldn’t help but growl at the woman while his charge fidgeted even more.

“Ma’am,” Ivan started tentatively, daring to look at the fortune teller from beneath his fair bangs, “I came to ask for your help.”

Ivan forced himself to relax, and when he did allow his muscles to unwind, he found that he really could let go of his inner turmoil, if only for right now. As though a weight had been lifted from his chest, he could breathe easier, move about without the sensation of having a hundred pairs of eyes following him. Even before he had visited Walker, Ivan had felt that he was being closely watched. Now, here in this shack that smelled of rot and essences brewed from plants, that feeling was gone.

“I gathered as much,” the hermit mused in response to his earlier words. She continued to stare into his eyes, trying to figure him out better. “I have never met a person so young so weighed down with troubles.”

The thirteen-year-old bit his lip and avoided breaking eye contact by taking a deep breath. Though it was easier to relax in a place that wasn’t infested by vengeful spirits -- at least, that’s the aura these strange entities seemed to be emitting -- Ivan still found himself mentally scrambling for words. Mark Antony nudged him in his unhurt arm, exasperated that he couldn’t explain because humans couldn’t understand his Pokémon tongue.

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (Sneek Peek on Fic Poster!)

“Well,” Ivan finally started, “things have been happening in Lavender Town that are very strange… and dangerous.” He stopped, half hoping Miranda would step in and take over the conversation. She only watched him with those mesmerizing eyes of her, though. “A friend was almost killed. Two people were burned to death.” As his vision grew fuzzy with unshed tears, Ivan really wished Miranda speak.

“Spirits, are they?” Miranda asked. “I’ve felt them skimming the edges of the town for quite a while now. I am sad to see they have decided to perform such horrible acts.”

For the first time since her visitors arrived, her eyes were redirected to somewhere other than Ivan’s face. She seemed to be contemplating something of great interest.

“Y-Yes,” Ivan admitted. He realized when those blue eyes were back on him that he was expected to explain how he had come to that conclusion. Eyes slightly widening, he found himself grasping for words again. “Sometimes I-I think I see them around Lavender.”

Miranda’s fine eyebrows knitted together. “I would say you see them as more than just shadows.” When she saw Ivan gawk at her, she elaborated, “You are much too jumpy and fearful to see them only from the corner of your eye. You’re here because they are as visible as your own hand now.”

Closing his mouth, Ivan gulped and nodded. In a way, he was relieved that Miranda already knew so much. It meant not only that explanations would be easier to give but that she actually believed him. Mark Antony had a mask of different expressions. He immediately mistrusted anybody who knew too much. On the other hand, like Ivan, he rationalized that by already knowing a lot, Miranda would be easier to sway to their requests.

“I need to be able to prove that these ghosts exist to the rest of the town,” Ivan insisted after a moment of silence. As he clenched his fists in his lap, his voice no longer wavered. “They won’t do anything if there is no proof.”

“We humans are such dense creatures,” Miranda said offhandedly. “Even when the supernatural is grinning at us, threatening us, we turn a blind eye and return to that which we understand. How would having proof make them believe?”

Ivan was taken aback. Why wouldn’t someone with proof believe in something? She glanced at him as he struggled for the right words. Taking this opportunity, the brunette rested her head in her hand and studied the pair.

“Both you and your Pokémon are very strange,” she repeated ethereally. “Both of you have been touched by those of the other plane.” Ivan, out of his stupor, cast the Cubone a curious look. Mark Antony ignored it. “It makes a lonely soul like me smile.”

“Please, Ma’am,” Ivan began to plead, shaking away the chill Miranda’s last words had given him. Her smile had seemed a bit predatory. “I have to show the town something. More people will get hurt if they ignore this. What can I do to let them know that these ghosts are here?”

“It’s impossible to endow someone with the gift of seeing those that have left us,” the fortune teller spoke. Ivan looked away at the word gift, not exactly agreeing. He was shocked and alarmed when Miranda gripped his chin and forced him to look into her eyes.

“This is not a curse, Ivan Bronstein,” she all but hissed. Her long fingernails began to dig into his cheeks. Ivan flinched but otherwise could not do a thing. “We have been given a gift, a marvelous gift! Never will the words of our ancestors fade away. Never will we despair over the lost of loved ones.”

“I-I don’t want my parents to become ghosts!” the shaken boy blurted out in horror. A chill ran up and down his spine, and he hugged Mark Antony tighter against his chest.

“We are Arceus’ special children,” Miranda continued, the wild glimmer in her eyes dancing like flames. “We are the ones who are supposed to take charge and-!”

The woman stopped upon feeling Mark Antony’s club against her throat.

~ “Get. Away. From. Him,” ~ the guardian snarled, his hold unwavering and his eyes simmering coals.

Miranda looked down at him, and fear marred her beautiful face for a heartbeat. Ivan was let go a second later.

“Ivan,” she addressed him with the wild look in her eyes dimming; her jaw, however, was rigid with annoyance, “Do not let anybody tell you that you are cursed. It is merely the circumstances you find yourself in that dishearten you so. Use your power to better the world.”

“Did yo-” Ivan cut himself off. It was not his place to ask. While rubbing his throbbing cheeks, he took in Miranda’s words. In his lap, Mark Antony was poised to attack if need be. He didn’t care what this woman had to offer. If she dared lay another finger on Ivan, he would personally bash her skull in.

Unaware of the malicious thoughts going through Mark Antony’s mind, Ivan said, “That’s what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to make Lavender a better place. But I don’t know how.”

He went still when Miranda’s eyes landed on him. The look she gave him was one of
pained exasperation. “Why do you help these people who will only end up betraying you?” she asked, almost pleadingly.

Ivan’s breath hitched in his throat. Unwillingly, the thought of being whisked away to Saffron came to mind. He forced an answer out. “Lavender Town is full of caring people. They need my help.”

“Only those atrocious rumors keep me away from their superstitious hands,” Miranda muttered, yet she nodded at Ivan in mild understanding. She stood up and crossed the small shack to kneel in front of a wooden chest. From beneath bundles of moth-eaten clothes she pulled a handful of talismans. Ivan, despite Mark Antony’s warning growl, leaned towards her.

“These will help you catch a spirit,” the fortune teller explained curly. Miranda dangled one of the small, octagonal mirrors from its red-dyed tag; Ivan’s wide eyes were reflected back at him. Mark Antony bristled at the pull he felt coming from it. Similar to that of a body without its soul, he felt himself itching - no,needing - to leave this creature and pitch himself headlong into the mirror. He ground his fangs and looked away, every muscle in his body tensing. It was all he could do to resist the temptation.

“Use the mirrors to locate a spirit. Once it sees it, the spells on these tags will activate and trap it.” Ivan caught them when they were tossed almost carelessly towards him. Miranda spared him a glare and a tightening of her frown. “Feel free to showcase whatever you catch to the town. Be quick about it; the spells will only last for so long.”

Cradling Mark Antony in one arm, Ivan stood up and gave the woman a small bow. “Thank you for your help.”

Miranda’s scowl deepened before she looked away and crossed her arms. “Be gone from my sight,” she snarled. “You have what you wanted. May the townspeople be as kind as you say.”

Ivan exited without another word.

The pain that had weaved itself into Miranda’s words had been almost too much to bare.

_____

A/N: Distractions and working on my fan fiction poster made me late in proofreading this. :>

I had to cut this short; the ghost/spirit hunt was going to be in this chapter. This "story mini-arc" should end either next chapter or the chapter after that. Then it's one more chapter after that to tie up Book One. :D Hopefully I can get that done before I go back to school.

I'm almost done with the poster! I need to shade and add some effects, and I'm done! It's always when I start shading that it starts to look actually good. xD

What's up for Chapter Ten, the first double-digit chapter? It's a ghost hunt and the reveal of what these spirits are doing and why Ivan's powers are fluctuating so.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon
Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (Chapter 9 is Here!)

It's gonna take me a while to catch up on this, but I kinda just wanted to post anyway simply to give this story some love. xD

Only just started, but the descriptions so far are beautiful. You have a knack at creating awesome settings. I'll wait 'till I get a bit further to say any more though; I'd like to give ya some decent feedback.

P.S. I'm honored that you're still sporting that banner I made for ya. :D Let me know if you ever want any other art made for your fanfic! I enjoy story art. :3 Not that you'd need it; you're a very talented artist yourself. Those drawings you've done are great.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBreon View Post
It's gonna take me a while to catch up on this, but I kinda just wanted to post anyway simply to give this story some love. xD

Only just started, but the descriptions so far are beautiful. You have a knack at creating awesome settings. I'll wait 'till I get a bit further to say any more though; I'd like to give ya some decent feedback.

P.S. I'm honored that you're still sporting that banner I made for ya. :D Let me know if you ever want any other art made for your fanfic! I enjoy story art. :3 Not that you'd need it; you're a very talented artist yourself. Those drawings you've done are great.
A WILD REVIEWER HAS APPEARED!

My story feels loved, thanks. <3

Thanks, I go all out on description when it comes to settings sometimes. xD I await your awesome feedback. :3

And of course I'm still using your banner; it's stunning. ^^ Aww, and thanks. These last three days without internet has allowed me to make more progress on my fan fic banner, so they'll be more art in this thread! I'll hit up with a message for a new banner when I get started on my NaNoWriMo story. :P

- Kat

Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

Hello! I've started reading this story (mostly because I was bored, even though I have a kajillion things I could be doing for WAR), and, not surprisingly, it's amazing so far. Honestly, Kat, I don't think I've ever read a story you've written that I didn't like. And I'm only on chapter four. xD

The main reason I'm posting now, rather than when I actually catch up reading, is because of something I noticed in chapter four. It's actually a little mistake I noticed in another of your stories, though I believe it was a URPG story that was already graded, so I didn't say anything.

Quote:
Mark Antony closed his amber eyes and jumped off the white, one-horned stallion.
Contrary to popular belief, stallion is actually not a catch-all term for a horse. It specifies a male horse capable of breeding. A female horse is called a mare, and a male horse not capable of breeding (meaning it has been fixed) is called a gelding. And since Hawkeye (FMA reference? xD) is a female horse, she would be a mare.

Aside from that and some typos here and there, I noticed nothing wrong. ^^ And as other people have been saying, I love your portrayal of all the Legends, especially Mew and Celebi. Those two, who are generally seen as being rather cutesy, are actually borderline evil in this fic (though I wouldn't actually say evil, just very centered on achieving their goals, whatever the cost). I really do love it so far, and I can't wait to see where all this is going to go. I'll be continuing reading! ^^

EDIT: Edward and Bradley reduced me to occasional giggle fits. I love your random references. xD

EDIT 2: Just finished reading. Awesome. <3

Last edited by Draconic_Espeon; 06-29-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Send a message via AIM to ShionRasenka Send a message via Skype™ to ShionRasenka

Great chapter PK!! Ivan really is a handful. I feel bad for Mark, lol. Ivan reminds me a lot of my friend's OC, Shira (the baby sister of my OC, Shion). He's impulsive, stubborn, and a royal pain in the arse, but you can't help but love him at the same time. I felt really bad about those two girls dying in that fire. I hope Ivan'll be able to get rid of those ghosts and help the town!!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconic_Espeon View Post
Hello! I've started reading this story (mostly because I was bored, even though I have a kajillion things I could be doing for WAR), and, not surprisingly, it's amazing so far. Honestly, Kat, I don't think I've ever read a story you've written that I didn't like. And I'm only on chapter four. xD

The main reason I'm posting now, rather than when I actually catch up reading, is because of something I noticed in chapter four. It's actually a little mistake I noticed in another of your stories, though I believe it was a URPG story that was already graded, so I didn't say anything.

Contrary to popular belief, stallion is actually not a catch-all term for a horse. It specifies a male horse capable of breeding. A female horse is called a mare, and a male horse not capable of breeding (meaning it has been fixed) is called a gelding. And since Hawkeye (FMA reference? xD) is a female horse, she would be a mare.

Aside from that and some typos here and there, I noticed nothing wrong. ^^ And as other people have been saying, I love your portrayal of all the Legends, especially Mew and Celebi. Those two, who are generally seen as being rather cutesy, are actually borderline evil in this fic (though I wouldn't actually say evil, just very centered on achieving their goals, whatever the cost). I really do love it so far, and I can't wait to see where all this is going to go. I'll be continuing reading! ^^

EDIT: Edward and Bradley reduced me to occasional giggle fits. I love your random references. xD

EDIT 2: Just finished reading. Awesome. <3
Aww, thanks, DE. :3

Wow, you learn something new everyday, huh? I'll be sure to fix those mistakes today! What can I say? The only time I've been near a horse was when I was six and on top of one. xD (I know which URPG you're talking about. I would love to rewrite that one into a full-fledged fan fic.)

Yesh, I love Mew and Celebi, too. <3 They are rather cutesy in one most fics out there, so I decided to spice them up. With all the power they have, it would be rather easy for them to get out of hand and think that they are the best things since Arceus. xD

Yay for FMA refrences! You have no one to blame but yourself, you know. ;o 'Cause of you, I have a new favorite character (Ling/GreeLing!), spent money for 22 FMA volumes, bought the movie, and watched the anime. You are also an indirect cause for my best friend's addiction, too.

But yeah, I had to put Edward and Bradley. :P

I'm glad you're liking it so far! Chapter Ten might take a while due to WAR, but it'll be as fast as I can type! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShionRasenka View Post
Great chapter PK!! Ivan really is a handful. I feel bad for Mark, lol. Ivan reminds me a lot of my friend's OC, Shira (the baby sister of my OC, Shion). He's impulsive, stubborn, and a royal pain in the arse, but you can't help but love him at the same time. I felt really bad about those two girls dying in that fire. I hope Ivan'll be able to get rid of those ghosts and help the town!!
xD That sounds like Ivan. Meh, thirteen-year-olds are like that. I should know; I have a thirteen-year-old brother. Yeah, it's a shame about the girls, but it had to be done. Don't worry, things will work out, though how soon and at what cost is up to me. xD

Thnaks so much for reading, guys! ^-^ This mini-arc will have end with a good note, and they'll even be some game cannon in there to wrap things up.

- Kat

Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Nope, no new chapter; WAR has limited my writing. However, it's something just as good!

The cover art for My Guardian Angel is done!

Quote:
Description from dA:

Excuse me while I collapse.

Okay, I cannot believe it, but the cover for my fan fiction is DONE. This cover has caused me so frustration and heartache. I went through many concepts (more on that later) and scrapped so many things. I was afraid the fan fiction would be finished before the cover was at the rate I was going.

So here, you see the main character Mark Antony and another main character that hasn't been introduced yet; all I'll say is that her name is Cleo (yay for historical references). Above them you have the main antagonists Mew and Celebi. Around them you see Death (the Dusknoir), Jirachi, and two humans who will be introduced at the same time Cleo will.

There was one more character I wanted to add in the middle (a Pokemon), but I couldn't fit him right. Oh well, he's not that important.

As for designs this cover has gone through:

- Cleo and Mark Antony were originally holding hands, side by side, and the background was going to be sketched versions of all the legendaries that were going to pop up in the story. Mew and Celebi were going to be on either side.

- With the same pose for the main characters and the antagonists, the background was going to be a collage of the three worlds: Earth, Heaven, and Purgatory.

- Mark Antony and Cleo were in the same poses, but Mew and Celebi would form a circle around them. At the bottom, the two humans were going to be back to back.

And then I finally settled on this and miraculously changed Cleo's and Mark Antony's poses. It reminds me of the pose Natalie (Spirit-Seer-Of-Water on dA) did for them in her poster. Originally, the orbs around them were going to hold images of the Legendaries in the story, but I honestly thought it would be WAY too much trouble. I could see the painstaking work now...

I tried so many things with this piece. Drawing inspiration from some tutorials on dA, I made the smoke in the background. Somehow, I made the orbs looks like ORBS rather than just circles. The aura of power was also a first for me.

Celebi was hands-down the most difficult character to draw. It was just so hard to get her (Celebi is female in my story) cherub-like body structure just right. I had some problems with Cleo not looking like Cleo, but that was solved when I changed their poses. Mew was tricky, but hopefully I got him right.

The text is nothing special, but it works. I also used the same font ("Old English") Natalie used for her poster that she did for me. Hopefully, I can take a picture of it to show. Awesome, this fan fiction has TWO covers <3

Once again, I cannot believe I have actually completed something so intricate for me. With the cover done, I'm even more proud of this fan fiction and the direction it's going. This was frustrating to do, at times, but I know I'm going to do a cover for the sequel.

I hope you guys enjoy it! Chapter Ten is in the works, so that's coming next! :)

- Kat

Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon
Default Re: My Guardian Angel (PG-13) (COVER art is done! Take a look!)

At first, I was kinda disappointed because there wasn't a new chapter, but now I'm not, because this picture is awesome. =D You've done an amazing job, I can really tell how much effort you put into it. It makes me want to see what happens next even more, though! xD So, I will attempt to continue to wait patiently for the next chapter!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
At first, I was kinda disappointed because there wasn't a new chapter, but now I'm not, because this picture is awesome. =D You've done an amazing job, I can really tell how much effort you put into it. It makes me want to see what happens next even more, though! xD So, I will attempt to continue to wait patiently for the next chapter!
OMG, you have a Ling avatar! :D Ling. <3

/ random

Thanks, DE. ^^ Be rest assured that things are going to get interesting once Book 1 ends in about three chapters. Chapter Ten should be finished sometime this week. It might not be that long, but that's because I'm still on the fence on where to end it. We'll see what happens. :P

- Kat

Old 08-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Chapter 10

On the Chase

Ivan kept on tossing the small mirror talismans in the air, and it was getting on Mark Antony’s nerves. Every time he glanced up and caught the glimmer of the mirrors, his soul stirred. It felt like the spiritual seams that kept him tied to Cubone’s body were beginning to fray. With that troubling thought in his mind, the guardian kept a fair distance between him and his charge as they walked back to Lavender Town. Luckily for him, Ivan was too absorbed in his own thoughts to find the behavior weird. When it was his eyes that landed on the talismans uncertainty, hope, and doubt bloomed.

“Den, I don’t know the first thing about catching a ghost,” Ivan told his Pokémon. The kid flipped a talisman and caught it in his hand. Whenever that mirror and the red tags that hung from it touched his skin, there was an unexplainable sensation of power that coursed through his veins.

Mark Antony looked up, an irked glare being the only response he gave. Ivan did not see it. He merely kept on walking, green gaze on the talismans.

“I mean, I see them, but how do I go about capturing one?” he continued. Ivan gave a heavy sigh. “Miranda made it sound so easy.”

~ “That woman should not be trusted for anything,” ~ muttered Mark Antony to himself. Yet his restless soul told him that Miranda had done something right in giving Ivan those talismans.

“You don’t like her do you?”

Mark Antony halted when Ivan stopped to look down at him. The sudden intensity of the his gaze was unnerving. Mark Antony cursed Miranda for telling Ivan he, who should have been nothing but a normal Cubone, was “touched with the supernatural.” Ivan might have been a bit naďve, but he was smarter than he seemed.

Looking up at the boy, Mark Antony shook his head. Ivan let a small smile run across his face. He turned around and tipped his head back to glance at the sun above them.

“She is scary, I must admit,” Ivan said. He furrowed his brow and turned back to Mark Antony. “After I said me seeing these spirits was a curse… and she grabbed me… Her mood changed so fast. Before I knew it, every word she spoke was so sad. Do you think that people forced her to live out here?”

~ “Sorry, I was too busy trying to maintain my soul in this body to care,” ~ Mark Antony scathingly remarked, his eyes refusing to focus on the talismans Ivan still held in his hand. And really, why should he care? If people really did force Miranda out of town, it was an act that should be applauded. Anybody that was that mentally unstable should be isolated away from everybody else.

Ivan took Mark Antony’s unintelligible words as more proof that he detested the fortune teller and merely continued on his way. A couple more minutes passed of Ivan tossing the talismans in the air and catching them. When Mark Antony contemplated on knocking them away, Ivan stopped dead in his tracks. Clutching the objects close to his chest, he looked wildly around him. Mark Antony tensed and followed Ivan’s frantic glances. He couldn’t see anything, but the feeling of dread settled in his bones.

“I think I saw one,” Ivan started. He began to walk faster. His voice began rising. “It’s still around us, but it’s moving around.”

Ivan was now at a sprint with Mark Antony right at his heels. He took one mirror from his white-knuckled grasp and looked into its reflective depths. While he saw nothing and only felt a trace of an indescribable magic, Mark Antony thought he caught a glance of chestnut hair when Ivan began to wildly wave it around. Ignoring the chills, the Cubone gripped his bone club and tried to let his instincts sense the spirit.

And there it was, that tangible sense of trouble in the air. Mark Antony took in every rock and wilting stalk of grass. There was something around them that cloaked the land, intoxicated it until it died. When Ivan exclaimed that he caught sight of their target, the feeling of dread intensified in the blink of an eye. Mark Antony jumped back in surprise and couldn’t help but whip his weapon around. Not surprisingly, the shadow that had sprung to life was not deterred. It weaved around him, never losing its bond with the ground.

Ivan turned around and saw his Pokémon entangled in long, shadowy fingers. “Den!”

~ “DON’T!” ~ Mark Antony yelled back.

He struggled against the bonds he could now see and tried to reach his dropped club. When he heard Ivan approach, he shot the boy a glare that told him to stay back. He’d be damned if he let Ivan approach another one of these things again.

Ivan glared right back and fingered the talisman in his hand, a movement Mark Antony saw with perfect clarity. The Pokémon’s heart began to race. His harsh expression softened then turned to horror.

No, no, no, NO!

Mark Antony came face to face with his human reflection, scarf and all, for a split second before he felt himself being launched backwards. He hit the ground and looked up, expecting the shadow to whirl around and rush after him. However, much to his disbelieving eyes, he saw that where he once had been trapped nestled a comically cute toy reptile. He stared at the Substitute a while longer, figuring it look like a normal Cubone to everybody else, before standing up and running to Ivan’s side.

The boy turned shocked eyes to him and then to the Substitute the shadow gripped in its wiry tentacles. “How…?”

Mark Antony shrugged and pointed to the talisman. The mirror was glistening while the red tag began to flap against an unseen gust. Ivan took a couple of steps forward when he saw the shadow wasn’t going - or couldn’t - attack. Mark Antony stayed a safe distance away, but he craned his neck to try and catch a glimpse of what the mirror reflected. He spied scraggly brown fur and a hairless tail before the ghoul gave a great lurch and escaped to hide inside the shadow of a tree; the Substitute fell to disappear in a puff of smoke. The duo shared a look and decided to approach.

“Come on out!” Ivan demanded of the spirit. The talisman in his hand trembled the closer they got. “Or we’ll be forced to rip you straight out of your hiding spot!”

He actually sounds threatening, Mark Antony thought, impressed.

The tree’s shadow gave a shudder. First one large ear poked out, then another. Ivan took a step forward, and the whole body of the spirit trickled onto the ground. With its pudgy frame still cloaked in shadow, it was hard to discern the species of Pokémon.

But it was a Pokémon nonetheless. It was a creature from this world, not something from the great unknown. Suddenly, Mark Antony felt a lot more confident about this.

~ “Quick, he’s getting away!” he exclaimed to Ivan.

He bolted towards the darting shadow, for once forcing Ivan to keep up with him. The spirit jerked, no doubt turning around to keep an eye on his pursuers, and kept avoiding the talisman’s glimmering reflection by jumping into shadows. Mark Antony kept destroying boulders and plants to rid the path of shadows.

Damn thing, the Cubone mentally cursed when another tree sapling fell, forcing the spirit to jump out of its broken shadow. It’s faster than I expected.

Mark Antony purposely fell back a bit when Ivan brought out a second talisman. The spirit wiggled its whiskers as the aura of the spelled object started to try and pull him back. It let out an agitated growl and picked up speed. Ivan ran faster despite the fact that he saw the first houses that bordered Lavender Town coming into view. The Pokémon at his heels hesitated in his run. When he saw the thirteen-year-old plow right in, Mark Antony felt the first inklings of nervousness trickle in.

Ivan’s running right into the town, the guardian frantically thought. He willed his small feet to run faster. He’s running into town chasing something that can’t be seen and carrying talismans that shouldn’t exist!

The spirit and the duo were now in Lavender Town. Ivan was forced to slow down as planks of wood were uprooted from nearby houses and shingles were sent flying from the roofs. Ivan hunkered down then promptly crumpled as a flurry of shingles hit his injured arm. He gripped it and tried to regain his footing. Even with house windows being open and the sound of horrified townspeople filling his ears, Ivan couldn’t find the strength to stand up. The pain bit into his arm and reduced him into a trembling child.

~ “Get up! I said get up!” ~ Mark Antony yanked his whimpering charge by his unhurt arm. He glanced wearily at the windows around him; they were shuddering in their frames. ~ “We have to go!” ~

The thunder of destruction intensified as they both stumbled between the two houses. A hair-rising CRACK! reverberated behind them as the windows gave away to the spirit’s power. Ivan ran for all he was worth, trying as hard as he could to keep the Pokémon shadow in sight. It kept bouncing around from one roof to another, dislodging another avalanche of shingles as it did so.

“This isn’t working!” Ivan yelled to Mark Antony, catching one of the talismans as he stumbled to avoid a shingle to the head. “The mirrors are being blocked by all of this flying stuff!”

Mark Antony dodged a piece of wood, then stopped to glance at the shadow perched on the street lamp at the end of the street. He saw the shadow tilt its head in what Mark Antony thought was a taunt. He began to charge forward when someone grabbed hold of his skull, hauling him up until he was a very perturbed, dangling guardian.

“Den, stop.” Ivan’s voice was a croaked whisper. “People are staring.”

Mark Antony got over his annoyance to glance around them. Ivan was right. The destruction of windows and roofs was apparently enough for the paranoid townspeople to investigate. Their human eyes saw only a boy and his Pokémon running around with destruction left in their wake. The heated glares and scowls were divided between Mark Antony, the creature they believed was uprooting their town, and Ivan, the one who was going around shouting about things none of them were able to see. As the Ground-type struggled out of Ivan’s grip and landed on the ground, the boy was frozen stock still. Never in his life had he seen so much hate and horror directed at a single person. If he could have, he would have slipped into the shadows himself to escape these unnerving stares.

“Boy, does your mother know you’re running around?” came the voice of a man within the circle of people that surrounded them.

“No, she doesn’t,” a woman answered for him, narrowing her accusing eyes at Ivan. “She’s been shouting for him all day. He’d run off without her noticing.”

The realization that her mom had nearly uprooted Lavender Town herself in search for him made him even more willing to look away from the townspeople and to the spirit that still lounged at the top of the lamp post. Its tail swayed behind its plump figure as though it immensely enjoyed Ivan’s squirming. The faster they caught that thing, the faster he could show it to the townspeople and wipe those dark and doubting expressions off their faces.

“Den, at the count of three, we’ll go after the ghost.” Mark Antony didn’t so much as blink when Ivan whispered the command from the corner of his mouth. He glared at the townspeople as though it was all he cared about. Some were coming towards them, either to yell at them more closely or to snatch Ivan away.

“There’s something here that’s causing all this trouble,” the kid began to say to the people. He held his hands out before him as a sign of peace, but he forgot he still held two of the talismans. Half of the townspeople blanched while the rest glared. They spotted Miranda’s crafts a mile away, the crafts she had always used to try and make them believe of evil and strange things. With the boy spouting off the same farfetched claims as the fortune teller, they experienced chilling waves déjŕ vu.

“Den and I are going to set things right.” Ivan was too engrossed in his idea of distracting the townspeople and giving the spirit the idea that it was safe that he didn’t notice the darkening expressions. “We-”

“You brought that woman’s influences into our town!” a man hissed loud enough for Ivan to stop mid-speech. The man separated himself from the ring of people and advanced so quickly that Ivan jumped back and Mark Antony had to peel his eyes away from their prey. “Do not dare poison this town with your superstitious thoughts!”

Mark Antony scoffed incredulously. If there were any superstitious people about, the townspeople with those cold and wary eyes were the ones, not Ivan. With an ear on the conversation, Mark Antony turned back to the spirit. The man was no threat. It was the spirit that they were chasing that needed to be watched. He wasn’t sure, but he felt that it was relishing in their interruption. Mark Antony knew the phantom couldn’t see it, yet he still sent it a superior smirk. Despite the fact that it had the chance to slip away, it didn’t. It was just as cocky as some of the Kanto regiments he had faced during the war.

And their end result was not by any means pleasant, he thought. Mark Antony couldn’t help but smirk when he began to count some of those victories.

“We’re not going to do anything of the sort!” Ivan desperately tried to make them understand. His wide green eyes flickered to where the spirit sat; the man he was yelling to shifted uneasily but narrowed his eyes when the boy looked back.

“If we have to drive you out just like that woman, we’ll do it!”

“Oscar!” cried a woman behind him. “He’s just a boy; let his parents set him straight!”

While they argued, Ivan’s head spun in realization. That’s why Miranda became so outraged when he mentioned he wanted to help the people of Lavender. That’s why she was so… unstable.

With anger making his fists shake and his thoughts tumble in his mind, Ivan said through gritted teeth, “Den, get that thing down. Now.”

The man stopped arguing with the woman when he heard the lamppost shudder like a bolt of lighting shooting down from the sky. Then the sound turned into a horrible screech of metal against metal that made everybody but Ivan, who was expecting it, and Mark Antony, the one who had sliced the post in half, cringe. The spirit gave a screech of surprise and momentarily forgot it could safely jump to the ground. It came down and immediately felt the pull of Ivan’s talismans. When Ivan had to jump out of the way of the man’s grasp, the shadow managed to get away. Mark Antony saw spots of scraggly brown fur all over it.

Ivan twisted around at the crowd, hoping they could see those bits of fur. When all he was able to see were frightened and horrified glares, Ivan knew it was a good time as any to bolt and continue the chase.

“Stop!”

“Come back!”

~ “As though we would stop for them,” ~ Mark Antony quipped sardonically upon hearing the outraged yells behind them.

“Den, do you think you could hold one of the talismans for me?” Ivan did not notice Mark Antony’s alarmed gaze; he had eyes only for the spirit that kept slipping in and out of the shadows. “That way we could surround him from two sides.”

Thinking quickly, the Cubone showed the boy his club and then twiddled the short and clawed fingers of his other hand. Ivan, taking the chance to glance at him, looked a bit abashed and muttered a quick, “Sorry. I forgot.”

Mark Antony did not argue that the idea had been clever. With two sides to cover, the spirit might have been taken by surprise or slip up and turn the wrong way. The idea was so good, in fact, that he was absorbed in trying to come up with a way to make it work. With years of battlefield and training experience, he managed to dodge barrels, stray Meowth, and water some people from the houses they passed threw to slow them down (it seemed word had quickly spread) easily while deep in thought. Ivan was never lost from his sight. Even the beginning of weariness that seeped into his limbs from the Substitute he had used was effectively pushed back to the corners of his mind, away from the gears.

When he couldn’t figure out a logical way to hold the talisman without being sucked in, Mark Antony resorted to asking the inner Cubone for help, since it had worked the day before. Taking a deep breath, Mark Antony delved into the caverns of Pokémon instincts and knowledge. Maybe Cubone were capable of learning a psychic attack that would hold the talisman for him. It was farfetched, seeing as Cubone were Ground-type Pokémon, but then again, the Normal-type Furret native to his home were capable of being taught Surf.

No such attack responded back. Mark Antony’s disappointed scowl was wiped away as confusion settled instead.

Fling? As though the inner Cubone was a sentiment being, the soul replied back with a heated, What the hell do you mean by that?!

Though it couldn’t answer back, the inner Cubone kept nudging at his thoughts, assuring him it would work. Mark Antony was not dumb. Why would he, a dead sergeant who had only owned a Rapidash, deny the knowledge of a Pokémon? The thought of coming close to one of the talismans set his teeth on edge, but it had to be done. Besides, he had lived for a long time on risks and wilds schemes. Saying ‘no’ to this would put his pride to shame, to be quite honest.

And Mark Antony Colfax was very prideful.

Okay, he told the inner Cubone, too determined to wonder if he would be listened. Let’s go with Fling.

As the pair rounded a house, Mark Antony sped up and gently jabbed Ivan’s leg with his club. His charge spared him a quick glance and frowned in confusion when his Pokémon pointed at one of the talismans. Afraid losing the spirit if he focused too much on Mark Antony’s demand, he tossed the talisman towards him without a word.

The mirror descended with a dangerous air about it. Mark Antony gritted his teeth, filled with the knowledge of the attack but still anxious to the point of gulping. He shot the human reflection he saw for a split second a smirk before jumping forward. The talisman was grasped in his free paw then hurled in the same fluid motion. Immediately, Mark Antony leaped back with a hitched breath. His paw was aflame with needles, and the sensation spread to his shoulder.

But since he wasn’t being ripped away from the Cubone’s body, he stopped long enough to trace the talisman’s path. Ivan froze, floored when he saw it smack the runaway ghoul squarely in the head. With a pained cry only they could hear, it toppled from the roof edge it was running on to land before them. Ivan did not trust the talisman’s mesmerizing rays of light to hold their prey. He quickly ran to the other side and pointed the talisman he still held at the spirit, only for it to be tugged out of his hand.

“What the -?” Ivan said with a gasp. He looked at his suddenly empty hand then at the writhing spirit. The tufts of fur had spread all over its body; its long tail was left bald. Though its head was still cloaked in shadow, Mark Antony noticed sharp incisors protruding from its mouth.

~ “A Raticate!” ~ he exclaimed. Ivan said nothing, but his eyes widened in understanding.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

The deceased Raticate shut its mouth, cutting off the screeches. With eyes still veiled in darkness, it glared at the pair with unnerving intelligence. Ivan glared back as he got two talisman from his pocket. The Raticate stiffened and jumped onto the roof again, its movements hindered but still quick. Ivan glanced at Mark Antony.

“Do you think you can do that attack again?” he asked, his words still soft with awe.

Though he could still feel the sharp tingling on his left side, Mark Antony nodded. Ivan nodded back and was about to sprint onward when his arm was grabbed from behind. He was turned around but not with the painful strength he expected from an angry townsperson.

“F-Father!” Ivan bit his lip upon meeting Damien’s stony stare. To anybody else, they would have been filled with cold anger. His son knew too well the confusion and worry that swirled beneath the façade he put on. “How di-di you find me? Why are you here?”

Damien gave the child a hurt look. The firm hold he had on Ivan did not loosen. “Your mother came to get me because you wandered off. Why do you insist on worrying her, Ivan? Why?”

Gone was the defiance Ivan had shown to the townspeople. Eyes wide and guilt-ridden, he mumbled, “I needed to do something. I didn’t want to worry Mom, but I had no choice.”

“You went to see the fortuneteller.”

With a visible flinch, Ivan said, “Yes.” Realizing Damien must have heard the news from the townspeople, he sputtered, “I’m not trying to bring bad luck to the town or anything, Father, I swear! I’m not crazy! Please don’t take me back home!”

Damien blinked, and Ivan paled. He had never yelled at his father.

“Ivan, can you really see them?” his father asked hesitantly and without the usual edge to his voice. “You could see what those… objects were surrounding, couldn’t you?” Damien already knew the answer. The questions were more like accusations, as though he was daring Ivan to agree and run off towards danger once again.

Glancing at the two talismans he had taken out from his pocket and then at his father’s eyes, he said with resolve, “Yes, I can.”

The man’s eyes hardened, but the loosening of his grip betrayed the worry underneath the anger. Finally, he let Ivan go. The boy took off before more was said. Mark Antony took a moment to study Damien’s face. With that angry but resigned expression, he eerily resembled his own father. Something in Mark Antony’s heart ached, and an unsettling thought came over him.

Does my father know I’m dead?

“Den!” Ivan called to him. “Come on!”

Mark Antony gave Damien one more meaningful look. ~ “I’ll take care of him.” ~

The human seemed to understand. Damien nodded and let him go.

They exited the small alley between the two houses and arrived at Lavender Town’s market square. Ivan stopped and ignored the stares he was given from those brave enough to sell their wares and products in the midst of all that was happening. His eyes analyzed every shadow in sight. He wasn’t sure if the two talismans had held up doing the chase.

The doubt was soon dashed.

“Den, over there!”

Mark Antony smirked at the sight before them. ~ “How pitiful.” ~
As though it could hear Mark Antony’s silent snickering, the Raticate hissed and tried to turn its head. Unfortunately, from where it was trapped face first in a shadow cast from a house, it could only squirm in fury. Even Ivan had to smile in mirth; he was tempted to pull it out by the tail.

“I don’t think we need your expertise, Den,” the thirteen-year-old said. Ivan chuckled as he neared the wiggling spirit.

The two talismans in his hand leapt to join their brothers. The four pressed tightly against the Raticate, making it screech in pain only souls could feel.

Mark Antony cringed despite himself. He thanked Ivan that no more Flings were needed. He had been so caught up with the chase and Damien’s appearance that it wasn’t until now that he noticed the tingling had grown worse. Putting a paw to his chest, Mark Antony could feel the frantic thumping of his heart.

The talismans gave a burst of power. The soul was plucked from the shadow to hover before the duo. Fur now covered its head. Enraged amber eyes burrowed into Ivan’s, daring him to come closer. The boy couldn’t help but let out a short, mocking laugh. The ghoul’s ears flew back in anger, and it tried to struggle its way out of the talismans’ hold. It only succeeded in causing a bolt of pain to run through its body; somehow, Mark Antony knew it was the pain of having your soul split.

Finding himself pitying the ghost a bit, the guardian took one solitary step forward, ignoring the tingling on his left side.

“Do not approach!”

The words erupted from the Raticate’s mouth. Mark Antony narrowed his eyes, then scowled when Ivan gave a gasp; he had understood.

“You talk!” Ivan blurted out, the smile on his face collapsing.

Mark Antony moved back not because of the ghoul’s words but because the stalls’ vendors were being approached by those who had surrounded Ivan minutes ago.

The Raticate hissed in pleasure. “They’re coming for you,” it said, almost singing. “They’re coming to take you away from this ignorant town!”

“Shut up!” Ivan yelled. A shimmer of fear was present in his eyes. “They’re going to see you, and I’ll prove that you guys are the ones causing Lavender Town’s troubles!”

The Raticate managed to twists its head to glance at the approaching townspeople. They froze and cried out in alarm.

Ivan regained his smile. “They see you,” he proclaimed, resisting the urge to point and laugh in triumph. “They can see you!”

Mark Antony did not smile. His eyes were set on the people. Even with the poor vision of a Cubone, he saw their horrified faces. Raticate kept on smirking until, eventually, Ivan’s grin faded away.

“Now do you see, foolish boy?” the dead rat remarked. “They are not impressed or relieved. They are horrified at what you summoned.”

“I did not summon you!”

“Does it matter?” Raticate grinned even wider. “They just see a crazy human and a Pokémon that wasn’t there before.”

Ivan just glared, biting so hard on his bottom lip that it was about to bleed. Before Mark Antony could do anything, Ivan grabbed the last talisman from his pocket and pointed it at the mirth-filled spirit. The Raticate cried out as a rope of energy connected it with the mirror like a lasso. With a tug, it was pulled along as Ivan ran to jump on the lip of the dried-up fountain.

“Listen up!” he yelled to the people before him. When their surprised eyes met his, Ivan defiantly lifted his chin and forced the ensnared ghost close to them. The humans recoiled with mixed cries of horror, disgust, and anger. “This is what is causing all the trouble!”

Oh, Ivan, Mark Antony moaned in his head. The murmuring of the crowd sent a ball of dread to settle in his stomach. Quickly, he ran towards the boy. He’s digging his own grave.

“Talk,” Ivan ordered of the spirit with a tug. The Raticate winced, arching its back but otherwise staying silent. Ivan scowled, the emotion looking very out of place on his young and normally passive face. “Why won’t you talk?”

“Ivan,” somebody from the crowd addressed him. There was no anger in the voice, only weariness, as though he was trying to soothe a rabid animal. “Call that thing away.”

“But you don’t understand!” Ivan shouted, unable to keep a frustrated growl from his words. Most of the crowd shirked away. “I didn’t call it here! These ghosts are already here!”

It was now Ivan’s turn to step back. He caught himself before he fell and looked down upon the disbelieving crowd.

They didn’t believe him.

“Of course they don’t believe you,” the dead Raticate said with a fanged grin. “They don’t like to believe in what they can’t see. They hate the unknown.”

Ivan snapped his head first to the captured ghoul and then to the people. Their expressions grew even more wary.

“They can’t understand you…” Ivan whispered in disbelief. He already felt tears of disappointment welling up in his eyes.

Ivan wiped them away with a sleeve and jumped from the fountain’s edge, ignoring the protests of both townspeople and Mark Antony. It wasn’t until his back was against the wall of a faraway house that he stopped and took a shuddering breath. He looked down at the talisman in his hand and the rope of energy that held the spirit in place.

Without daring to look at those luminescent yellow eyes, he asked, “Why not…?”

“They don’t posses the sixth sense you do.” Mark Antony caught up with them and watched the ensnared ghoul as it shot down Ivan’s last rays of hope. “No petty, spelled object can truly allow a human to understand the dead.”

Ivan felt his eyes widen. “So you spirits really are… dead?”

The ghost gave its most dangerous grin yet. “We are the restless souls of Pokémon who have been left for dead, thrown away like objects at the side the road. For some reason, we are drawn to your town. We feel we can find peace here.”

“So you’re trying to run us out?” Ivan blurted out. “Are you trying to kill us because you feel angry at the humans who raised you? We’re not like that! I can help you! I can - !”

“We do NOT need your sympathy!” Raticate growled and bared its teeth. “Or your help. When you humans are out of the way, I know we’ll be at peace, somehow.”

Ivan stumbled back and fell when Raticate reared up in his face. “Leave or you’ll be done away like everybody else.” As Mark Antony helped Ivan to his feet, it turned its eyes on him. “It’ll be wise for you to leave. You’ll only get betrayed at the end.”

~ “Go to Hell,” ~ the Cubone quipped back.

Raticate scoffed. “I already did.”

Each talisman that held it shattered. Ivan covered his face as a shower of mirror shards rained down. Mark Antony ignored it and jumped towards the cackling spirit. Raticate glanced at him, chuckled once more, and melted into the shadows behind him. The Pokémon glared at the ground, then gave it a pound with his bone club.

“We’re on the right track, Den.”

Mark Antony whirled around and held back an incredulous laugh. ~ “Our only lead escaped, and you are now, undoubtedly, deemed mentally ill by the populace of your town. How are we on the right track?” ~

The boy picked up on the Pokémon’s skeptical tone and bowed his head in shame. “I know it’s bad, but the spirit did say that all of them were attracted to Lavender Town for some inexplicable reason. Maybe if we find out the reason, we can help them or get them away from here.”

Still doubtful, Mark Antony shook his head. He probed the shattered glass at his feet as Ivan racked his mind for another harebrained scheme.

“I am not going to stand here and let them take our town,” Ivan retorted, arms crossed and chin held high. “I’m the only one who can do anything about it.

“Lavender Town may not have much, but we do have one of the biggest libraries in Kanto. The information we need is bound to be there, whatever that information… may be.”

Upon hearing the creeping sob in Ivan’s voice, Mark Antony looked up. The boy once again had tears in his eyes.

“Den… what will my mom say? When she hears?”

Mark Antony closed his eyes and said nothing. Ivan soon scooped him up in his arms.

But he stood there, unsure if home was truly safe anymore.

_____

A/N: It's finally here! Sorry for the long wait, guys. I actually had this done last weekend, but when I went away to Band Camp on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and then I had practice Thursday and Friday, I hadn't had time to proofread.

I can't believe this chapter is the third chapter of this arc; originally, it was only going to be one chapter. O-o I'm pretty sure Chapter Eleven will tie up this arc. If it gets too long, it'll end on Chapter Twelve. This arc may not be very important to the overall story plot, but it has helped me in developing Mark Antony. Also, this arc actually ends in a game canon point. Can you guess what it is?

They'll be more canon illusions in this story - I know for a fact there's going to be one right after this arc ends and another in Book Three. When I mean by canon illusions, I mean, "Why is this here?" "How did this become to be?" I'll use this story to come up with some of these answers.

I'm sorry if there's more mistakes than usual in this chapter. I was actually rushing through the proofreading a bit because I'm going to leave for a week to visit my sister (just me; yay for sister bonding time!), and I didn't want to force you guys to wait another week. Also, I'll search for a chapter song when I come back if one doesn't hit me before I leave tonight. You guys have any suggestions?

I'm actually putting a deadline for Chapter Eleven. I'm going to try my absolute hardest to have Chapter Eleven up on September 8th, which is my 18th birthday. On my dead fan-fic Destiny's Tag, I posted a chapter on my 15th birthday, so it seems fitting I post another chapter on my birthday.

Now, what happens in Chapter Eleven? Ivan and Mark Antony go and investigate this grand library, though they'll have to be sneaky about it; it seems the library is only open to scholars, not the common folk. While there, they uncover vital history about Lavender Town.

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 08-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

I'll be honest, your ghost Raticate here made me think of Gary/Blue's dead Raticate. Though I doubt it's the same one. xD

In any case, another great chapter. ^^ Fast paced and full of action! I look forward to seeing how this arc ends. I'll definitely be counting down the days until September 8th!

Have fun with your sister as well! ^^

Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
I'll be honest, your ghost Raticate here made me think of Gary/Blue's dead Raticate. Though I doubt it's the same one. xD

In any case, another great chapter. ^^ Fast paced and full of action! I look forward to seeing how this arc ends. I'll definitely be counting down the days until September 8th!

Have fun with your sister as well! ^^
Well, you thought right. :D The Raticate is based off Gary/Blue's dead Raticate. Any Pokemon would have worked, but since I like to make allusions to the games and anime, I thought it would be perfect.

But yeah, it's not the same one. The time period right now (hint hint) is the 1700s. xD

I have some good stuff in store for the next chapter and the rest of this book. I'm going to start Chapter Eleven tonight, and I'll try and work on it a lot this weekend.

Oh yes, I had a lot of fun with my sis! We went ice skating, went to see "Despicable Me," racked up at least thirteen hours of shopping, and played Wii. The six (to Houston) and eight hours (back home) of bus travel was worth it. ^^

Thanks for reviewing, DC! ^-^

In another note, the Fan Fic '10 awards are up! Yes, I can enter this fic! Wish me luck, guys!

- Kat

Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Hiya, guys! I'm 18 now, but a chapter still isn't up yet. Luckily, no band practice on Monday and a day off due to the tropical storm on Tuesday allowed me to finish the chapter. Last night, I couldn't stay awake long enough to finish proofreading chapter eleven. The last eight or so pages of the chapter will be proofread Saturday, so expect an update then. :)

- Kat