Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Re: Purified (PG) [Ch. 4 Added]

Finally caught up! Sorry I'm so late!

Quote:
The staircase was only small wide enough for one person here, squeezed beside an evenly paved road.
I don't think 'small' is supposed to be there. XD
Quote:
I had a feeling that she was use to getting what she wanted
Should be 'used.'
Quote:
“Let’s nab his Pok mon,” one of his lackeys egged on
Forgot the 'e.' XD
Quote:
He coolly returned it before his strayed to the hung of metal on my left arm
Eyes? Hunk?
Quote:
The Corphish narrowed its eyes at his approached
Should be just 'approach.'
Quote:
the Espeon hurled the grimy gunk back into the Koffing face, blotting out its eyes.
Koffing's. ^^

I think this chapter was my favorite so far..I loved the description of the stadium-it seems like such a cool place! I found it pretty surprising when Wes ran into those Snagem members, but I liked the battle that followed, even if it was kinda short. I really liked the description/interpretation of hidden power, especially. I really hope he can get to the pokemon center soon!

Though, he certainly has a lot of explaining to do now.. ^^;

Some parts I liked:
Quote:
“Is that bad?” She slapped her hand over her mouth when she realized that she had asked yet another question. I just shook my head and smiled.
I dunno why, but I found that kinda funny. xD
Quote:
A rusty car drove down it, passing us in respectful ignorance. Rui friendlily waved at the driver blissfully unaware
That too. XDDD

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Oh, yay! You did catch up! Thanks, Scy! Especially for pointing those out; i'll get to those soon. ^^

Hmm, your favorite chapter? LoL, thanks. Hopefully, I can get some more good ones going... I have to say that Phenac was actually one of my favorite places because of the water (even if it is a waste xD). And sorry that it was short... That kinda was how it happened in the game anyway. I suppose that Wakin did have more Pokemon with him, so here I gave him a reason to only use two... namely his cohort's little accident. Anyway, go Secret Power! xD

LoL, I was going for funny there. Glad I made you laugh. Rui, Rui, Rui... xD

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Well, I haven't actually played the game, so I had no idea it was supposed to be short. ^^;

But yeah, the staduim sounded really cool because of the water...wish I could actually see what it looked like though!

-My Links-
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Lunar Wing Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Wing

Hi, I eh.. just wanted to say that I really like this story so far. It took me some time to read it all but it is really good :) I'm trying to read some fanfic you see so that one day I can make one myself and I like this one for so far.

The only thing that confuses me is that the Espeon is called Yin and the Umbreon Yang XD (I know stupid :P) because Yin is black and Yang is white... this sounds kinda stupid to say

Anyway I love to read more :)
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Oh, why thank you for your comment. ^^ I wish you luck on your future work!

Er... yeah... I thought I did the research right, but guess not. Anyway, I thought that the name Yin sounded better for an Espeon anyway. Don't know why... but... LoL, sorry for that mistake I made on my part. I'll think I'll still keep it the same. ; )

A Holiday is coming up, so hopefully I can have the next chapter up soon. ^^

Old 04-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Default Re: Purified (PG) [Ch. 5 Finally!]

Well, it's been a few months since I last added a chapter. Sorry about the long wait, but you know how school goes. Plus I was a little stuck as to how to approach this next chapter, but I found an interesting loophole. Anyway, some quick things you should know about this chapter. First, I made Phenac seem a whole lot bigger than what's shown in the game. It's a city, you know, but in the game, it's not much bigger than Agate Village. ^^' Second, I did stray from the plot a little here, as you will see. I hope it won't take away from your experience, but I'm trying to make things a little more realistic. Third... Soooooo many battles. o_____o' I'm not overly fond of writing them, I realized. xD Sorry if the next few lack a little. ^^'

Without further adieu, I give you:

Chapter Five: Pieces of the Puzzle

She stared straight back at me, her face a blend of hurt and confused emotions as she tried to search for something in me. Several times, her mouth opened and closed as she tried to find words to put into her voice. “How?” was all she finally managed to release.

“It’s… complicated,” I turned away, looking anywhere but at her. Why did it have to come to this? Rui was a good girl; she didn’t need any of this. Now what would she think of me? I felt reluctant to reveal anything about myself. All I wanted was for my past to disappear, but thanks to Wakin, it managed to resurface. He had to come and spoil my fresh start, didn’t he? If I ever met him again…

“But,” Rui continued, voice wracked with emotion as she tried to hold back tears. “But I thought… I thought you were a good guy…”

Those words stung with numbing force. I physically winced as I searched for the right words to say. Did such words exist? Was there anyway I could fix this? As deep as I dug, it did not seem likely. I found no way I could defend myself without giving too much away. Lamely, I replied, “I don’t know what I am.”

Rui slowly shook her head and took a small step backwards.

“Rui,” I forced myself to speak, though it felt like trudging through thick mud. “I’m not like those people.”

“But you’re a thief!” she accused.

Gritting my teeth, I answered, “I made bad choices, but--”

“How could you do it?” she raised her voice. “Those Pokémon you kidnapped! The lives you tore apart! How can you stand that?”

“I can’t!” my own voice shouted. My eyes quickly locked into hers, sharp as daggers, and she listened in utter shock as I continued, “I’m not proud of what I’ve done. It’s eaten away at me all these years, but I couldn’t do anything about it. I had no other choice. I had to do what I could to survive, and that took me down a path I regret taking. But now, I’m trying to break away from that. I want a second chance, Rui. I want to change. Is that so much to ask for?”

She stayed quiet, closely examining me as if seeing me for the first time. Warily, I watched her like a caged animal to their captor, waiting and calculating in fear of its fate. What if she didn’t believe me? What would she do? A hundred scenarios ran through my head, none of them deduced from logic. Some involved her turning me into the police, or even Team Snagem, which were two places I just didn’t want to end up right now. I would do anything to avoid them, but if she ratted on me… well, I wouldn’t give her a chance. Yet somehow, these weren’t the worse scenarios. No, that belonged to a different case: she would just walk away, and I would never hear from her again. But why? Why did I care? That would be the better case, ridding myself of this irksome girl. She had to be the most annoying, obnoxious, naive person alive in this world! So why did this mean so much to me? What was I expecting from her?

“I,” she discovered her voice, though she finally dropped her gaze to the sandstone pavement. “I don’t know…”

Closing my eyes, I gathered in a deep breath before calmly exhaling. I was not thinking straight right now. Running into the Snaggers caught me off guard and frazzled me a little, but I remembered I didn’t have much time to spare. My Pokémon needed medical attention as soon as possible. I told Rui all I wanted; the rest was up to her. No, she wasn’t going to be the one to run off. I was. Maybe it would cause less grief for both of us. “Decide what you want,” I told her in a low tone, “but I’ll be on my way.”

Walking past her, I descended the stadium’s stairs without looking back. I listened for the pattering of her pink boots on stone, but they never came. She stayed where she stood, trying to piece together a complicated puzzle she would never find all the parts of. So be it. It would be better for the both of us if they remained lost.

A thief! I just couldn’t believe it. Wes was a thief! How could that be? He was my hero, my valiant rescuer who saved me from those thugs. Through that whole ordeal, I had been convinced that I was done for. Life as I knew it shattered the moment I spotted that strange Pokémon. Just as I gave up, submitting myself to a shadowy future, he swooped in out of nowhere. His face was the first I saw as that burlap sack fell from around me. Immediately, I felt that he was someone I could put my trust in, someone I could depend on. But I was wrong.

Wes was a member of Team Snagem all along. Oh, I should have known better! I knew he was hiding something, yet I kept deluding myself. No, he has to be good, I kept telling myself. I needed him to be so. Scared and lost as I had been, I forced him to be a crutch. Maybe that wasn’t fair to him, but I wasn’t in the right frame of mind. Heck, I was just kidnapped! Wouldn’t that scar anyone for life?

I listened to his footsteps as they retreated from the stadium, my head spinning. I didn’t want him to leave, but at the same time I didn’t want to be anywhere around him. To understate things, I was an utter mess, all hurt, confused, and wondering what to do now.

Rui, I finally scolded myself, pull yourself together! You weren’t thinking clear then, and you’re not thinking clear now. Sit down and listen to your logic. Wes explained himself, didn’t he?

I wanted to believe him. I really did, but how could I know that he really felt this way? What if this was just more lies, more tricks and traps waiting to spring up and hurt me? But just now, he sounded so sincere. Up until now, Wes never gave me a reason to doubt him or the trust I put in him. He had treated me with respect, though I must have been so annoying to him. Moreover, those Snagem freaks… they had called him a traitor. Obviously, he did something that they didn’t like, so he couldn’t be counted among them. Still, he had stolen Pokémon! Though he made it sound like he had no choice, was that really the case? Was it possible that he could have chosen a different path? Everyone has an innate sense of what’s right and what’s wrong, that manifested in guilt. Then again, I didn’t know too much about Orre. Looking around this pristine paradise, I found it hard to believe that most of this region’s denizens lived in desperation. Poverty did exist in such a state that I’ve never seen before, especially back home, and it brought out a side of human nature I never thought was possible.

One more piece of evidence defended Wes: the way he treated his Pokémon. I saw how that other Snagem person had controlled his Pokémon as opposed to Wes. He had harshly pushed the Corphish and Koffing--the poor things--recklessly, while Wes approached the battle with more caution, being mindful of Yin and Yang’s well-being. Wakin’s Pokémon actually feared him, scared of disappointing their violent master. Yin and Yang admired Wes, or else there could have been no way they could have evolved into Espeon and Umbreon. I knew that the duo were willing to do anything for their Trainer, not because they were intimidated, but because Wes was equally devoted to them. They were a tight family. Could anyone with evil in their hearts love Pokémon like that?

“I want a second chance, Rui. I want to change.”

Turning around, I threw my gaze down the hill at the streets below, heart racing. I do believe him, I realized as I scanned the sidewalks for his familiar blue overcoat. I knew from the moment I connected with Yin that he was good. His past didn’t matter; it's what he is doing now that means more. I flew down the steps in eager haste, leaving the elegant stadium behind me. I had to find him. I needed to tell him my decision, more for himself than me. Wes needed someone to encourage him while he walked through this transformation, if anything else. He was turning from a difficult life, and I didn’t think that he would be able to overcome it on his own. No, he needed a friend, and what kind of a person would I be if I just turned my back on him?

Only one problem: Where exactly did he go? After stepping away from the stairs, landing on a spacious round a bout, I caught no glimpse of him. I jerked my head left and right, trying to find where my rescuer disappeared, but nothing looked familiar. Oh, why did I have such a terrible sense of direction? I always ended up getting lost, which probably explained how I ended up in Pyrite Town instead of my grandpa’s place. Come on! Why did Phenac have to be a city? Buildings were all over the place! Okay, Wes is a Trainer, right? He just finished a battle, so he should be heading to the Pokémon Center. So… which way was the Center? Ugh! I bet I walked right past it on the way up here and didn’t even notice! Well, I’d better try something.

Placing one foot in front of the other, I picked the path that looked most promising and set off. It branched off to the left of the Stadium, steadily descending downhill, but after a few moments of following it, I realized that something wasn’t right. Humble little homes fenced the road on either side, their yards nicely landscaped with decorative desert shrubs and tropical palms. Sure, it was a pleasant walk and all, but I didn’t remember going through a suburban street. Er, nor did I remember…a dead end. Of course. This road just had to end in a cul-de-sac, didn’t it? Turning my sorry carcass back around, I quickly retraced my steps all the way back to the Stadium.

“This is going to take a while,” I sighed, viewing my other options. One road led off sharply to the left, hugging the slope of the hill, while the other rolled away from the stadium like a red carpet. More people traveled the latter, walking through a large collection of buildings stood, so I decided to follow it. Soon found myself amidst a variety of shops lining the sidewalks. Every window boldly displayed its merchandise, vying for the attention of passersby. Rustic antiques chaotically clustered one, while white-mannequins displayed the latest fads in another. I caught a whiff of perfume as I passed a beauty salon, and stopped to adore a shelf of jewelry at an accessory store. Farther down the road, I noticed a group of pedestrians gathered around a squadron of TVs stationed in a tech store. As I got closer, I overheard the static voice of a reporter declaring over the news,

“This just in: further information on Team Snagem’s defeat.”

I stopped dead in my tracks. Did I hear right? Something about Team Snagem? Squirming through wall of people crowding the screens, I moved in for a closer look. Ignoring the annoyed looks I received, I focused my attention keenly on the young woman giving the report. She kept a wide smile, as if excited by the notion, as she continued:

“Local authorities managed to arrest a member of Team Snagem after he tried to return to the abandoned building back in Eclo Canyon. From this individual, investigators have confirmed that the building in question had housed a large machine that could factory-produce large amounts of Snag Balls, modified Poké Balls the organization used to steal Pokémon straight from their Trainers. The machine was destroyed in the explosion that occurred earlier this afternoon, the cause of which has yet to be uncovered. However, according to the arrested Snagem member, a smaller machine was stolen before the building was abandoned. This Snag Machine is apparently portable, able to be carried by a single person while retaining the same abilities as the larger machine. Its current whereabouts are unknown, but citizens are being told to keep an eye out for suspicious activity. However, it is hoped that this portable Snag Machine will never be used for criminal purposes again.”

The young woman disappeared from the screen, replaced by a flashing commercial advertising P*DAs. The crowd, once held so rapt by the report, quickly grew disinterested and drifted away. They muttered among themselves their theories and concerns, but I stayed where I was, putting two and two together. When those Snagem goons confronted Wes, they had wanted something from him…

“I’ll be taking that snag machine back, boy,” I recalled the leader saying.

That black device on Wes’s arm… it must be the stolen Snag Machine! Wes was the one who took it! But… I wasn’t sure how to take this new revelation. Why did he take it? And why did he keep it with him?

Wait, stop! I reprimanded myself once more. I had already made up my mind about him. I couldn’t doubt him now! I just had to trust that Wes was doing what he though was best. Still, an interesting thought crossed my mind. The snag machine was supposed to be capable of stealing Pokémon from any Trainer, good… or bad.

“Hey, it really wasn’t our fault, boss!” a sudden complaint broke through my thoughts. I turned towards the source, thinking that the voice sounded rather familiar, then nearly jumped out of my boots when I saw who it was. In a reflex, I slipped into the tech store and hid behind the television sets before they came by. Through the gaps in the window, I watched strange group strut down the street, two I recognized right away. How could I ever forget them? They were my kidnappers! But the other four looked rather odd. Three were dressed in strange space-suit looking gear, helmet and all, while the forth looked like a throw back to the disco era. Very tall and very skinny, he was dressed in a golden, full-body disco suite that glinted blindingly in the sun. Atop his head was a massive mess of an afro, one side colored red and the other, white--like a Poké Ball. As he walked, he looked like he was dancing, reminding me slightly of a Bellsprout.

I couldn’t overhear their conversation from within the store, but peeking out from a small space in the window, I saw Trudley and Folly hang their heads as the afro man waved them onward. All passed by without a second glance at the store’s front, save for last of the space-suit men. He paused, peering in through the window towards me. Immediately, I took a step back, trying to fade into the shadows. My heart pounded in my chest as I warily watched. Did he see me? Did he know that his companions tried to kidnap me?

The man frowned, finally taking his eyes off the window and glancing towards his pack, shaking his head. I let out an enormous sigh of relief when he finally moved on, disappearing from my view. How lucky was that? If I hadn’t looked up in time, those people could have kidnapped me again. What a nightmare that would have been! I found myself suddenly missing Wes’s company. He had Pokémon with him; he could have protected me.

“Can I help you with something, ma’am?”

I turned to see a scraggy old man with hardly any hair on his head scrutinizing me with a suspicious stare. The badge on his chest identified him as the manager.
“Oh, uh,” I blinked in surprise, wondering how long he had been watching me. “I was… I was just looking around.”

“Well, hurry it up, lassie,” he grumbled. “I don’t have all day.”

“Uh, right,” I tried a smile, but the old man just turned away, shaking his head as he muttered something like, “young ‘uns these days…” I pretended to browse the shelves a bit--which were an awful mess, by the way, with cords and whatnot scattered all over--but as soon as he wasn’t paying attention, I slipped out the door.

Before I got too far, another voice stopped me.

Last edited by Charmander009; 04-15-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

“Hey! H-hey you! You’re that one girl.”

Geez, how many people was I going to run into today? Turning around, I saw yet another familiar face, but a good one. A woman in a pink dress jogged up to me in her high heels, and I recognized her as that chick that was with Wes and the athlete when they rescued me from the gunnysack.

“It was Rui, right?” she stopped, slightly panting.

“Yeah, what’s up?” I looked at her, genuinely concerned.

“Did you see those men go by earlier? Weren’t they the ones who kidnapped you.”

I glanced uncertainly down the street in the direction that odd group had been heading. “Yeah, those were them…”

“Oh no,” the woman suddenly frowned, following my gaze.

“What?”

“That’s where the mayor lives! What if they try to do something horrible to him?” She looked back at me, as if I had all the answers. I blinked in surprise. The mayor’s house was that way? Where the heck was I?

“Where’s that one boy?” the woman suddenly lit up as an idea struck her.

“Oh, Wes? He’s, uh… He’s at the Pokémon Center, I think.”

“He’s really strong, right? Maybe he can stop those creepy guys?”

Wow, and I thought I was naive. Yet if the mayor really was in trouble, maybe Wes would be his best shot, if he was willing. “Right, let’s go find him. You know where the Center is, right?”

The purse lady paused, glancing around her surroundings as if seeing them for the first time. Uncertainly, she replied, “I think I do…”

What a team we would make, I laughed quietly inside. With as confident as she sounded, we’d probably both end up getting lost in this crazy city. And she was a native! Still, I nodded for her to lead the way.

“Sir? Um, sir?”

I jolted out of my thoughts, realizing that I was the one being addressed. I turned to see a raven-haired young woman in the red nurse’s uniform standing shyly by, uncertain how to approach me. Her face looked drawn, apparently exhausted from constantly running back and forth on this crazy job. From the way Centers were run in Orre, I could understand that. None of the many Joy cousins worked out in this forsaken land, so the Centers entirely depended on volunteers and interns. Phenac’s Center was one of the more efficient, being easily funded by the community, but elsewhere in Orre, they were difficult to find.

The nurse seemed to gain more confidence when I looked at her, and she moved forward with a silver tray in her hands.

“Your Pokémon have been fully healed,” she indicated the two Poké Balls on the tray with a quick nod of her head.

Glancing between her and the tray, I unfolded my arms and took my Pokémon back. “Thank you,” I quietly told her, respecting the silence in the Center’s lobby. “My Espeon wasn’t poisoned?”

She shook her head. “No, sir. We managed to remove the sludge from his eyes, and luckily none of it actually entered his system.”

I only nodded, not physically showing the great relief I felt. Taking that as a pardon, the nurse bowed and retreated to her station at the front desk. Sighing, I tapped on the Poké Ball’s locks, allowing them to expand in my hands. Within moments, Yin and Yang materialized in the Center’s whitewashed lobby, looking entirely refreshed. Yang the Umbreon yawned and stretched, glancing around with little interest. His brother, Yin, flicked his tail contently as he looked up at me brightly. Nothing remained of the goop that had blinded his eyes. They shone clear and bright with their mysterious purple sheen. Smiling I took his head in my hands, rubbing under his chin and between his ears just the way he liked it, but after a while he looked back up at me in concern. Well, I couldn’t hide anything. He knew I wasn’t quite myself right then.

The Espeon suddenly glanced around as if looking for something… or someone.

“Rui’s not here, Yin,” I broke the news to him.

He locked his eyes back into mine, a feeling of sadness and confusion flowing from him. Quickly, I averted my gaze. I didn’t want to talk about it right then. I was rather frustrated with myself. What had I been thinking, anyway? That Rui wouldn’t care who I was? That she would immediately accept me for what I was? Why did I even go with her in the first place? I should have left her as soon as I rescued her. I should have just said no, but I didn’t. What an idiot I was! If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be in this mess. Yin wouldn’t have nearly been blinded, and I could have been halfway out of the region by now. This only proved that I needed to leave Orre as soon as possible if I was ever going to abandon my past. However, I knew what it was: I thought that she would be different. Well, maybe I had been wrong all along.

Yin was startled at how dark I suddenly became. He quietly lifted a paw and placed it comfortingly on my knee. Yang likewise drew closer and sat by my side. Looking between them, I understood their message. They were reaffirming that they were going to be here for me, no matter what happened now, whatever I choose.

Standing up, I pocketed their balls and declared, “Let’s go, boys.”

They both inclined their heads and diligently followed me as we crossed the Center’s tiny lobby, past the cushioned chairs where various Trainers waited for their Pokémon, past the holographic map of the city set up in the middle of the room. Just as I reached the glass sliding doors, they opened on their own accord. I suddenly found myself face to face with an anxious redhead.

I blinked in surprise, completely dumbfounded. “Rui? What are you doing here?”

She took a deep breath, looking largely relieved. “Finally, I found you. I’ve been looking for you all over! Didn’t help that I don’t know where the heck I’m going.” Her face grew serious as she went on, “Wes, something’s going on at the mayor’s house. A group of creepy guys just headed up there, and it doesn’t look good. Two of them were those two goons that tried to kidnap me. Please, we got to do something.”

None of those words really sunk in. I only continued to stare at her until I said, “You came back…”

“Of course I came back,” she smiled brightly. “I believe you, I really do. And hey, everyone deserves a second chance, right? Now come on, we’d better hurry.”

“Uh, right,” I followed her, stepping out into the desert sun. I couldn’t believe it. She… she really trusted me. How could she, so soon and so fast? Was she really that naïve? Or something else? Unbelievable, that’s what she was. Unbelievable.

“Rui?” I suddenly spoke up, skidding to a halt.

“What?” She turned around impatiently.

“The mayor’s house is that way,” I pointed in the other direction.

“Oh,” her face grew red in embarrassment, and she quickly fixed her path. “Uh, I knew that.”

Unbelievable, I thought as I chuckled to myself, shaking my head.

We arrived at the mayor’s two-story house as fast as our legs could carry us on a hot desert afternoon. The four of us paused before the door, trying to anticipate what was transpiring behind it.

“I hope the mayor’s okay,” Rui fidgeted in place.

“How many where there?” I asked, trying not to sound disconcerting.

“Uh, five, I think. Three wore these strange space-suite looking outfits, one red, one blue, and the last green. My kidnappers were the other two, but the last guy was… Well, let’s just say he’s rather unique.”

None of them sounded like Snaggers. Maybe it was a stray gang, settling a score with the law. Whatever they were, I needed to stay sharp. Facing five men alone was dangerous, and they might not consent to play the rules right. The woman who had found Rui went to get some backup, but so far, none had shone up. Every second counted in a matter like this, and we couldn’t afford to wait much longer.

“Ready, boys?” I turned to my Pokémon expectantly.

“Espeon!”

“Umbre!”

Well, I thought, taking a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

I grabbed the door handle and flung it open, charging inside with Rui, Yin, and Yang close behind. The cozy room inside looked just as it had before, minus a friendly old geezer and added a handle full of shady characters. Trudly and Folly were with them, and as soon as the latter locked eyes with me, he seemed to jump in his skin.

“Hey, that’s him! Boss, that’s the guy!” he pointed accusingly at me, addressing the man standing in front of him who had his back turned to us. However, as soon as Folly spoke up, he whirled about in exaggerated extravagance.

Well, Rui wasn’t wrong about him. He was definitely… unique. As tall and skinny as a beanpole, their boss was dressed in a flamboyant golden sequin leisure suite. Large, star-shaped glasses shielded most of his facial features, topped by an explosion of an afro that was colored like a Poké Ball. From his high perch above his platform shoes, he peered down at Rui and me with little interest.

“Oh, please,” he spoke rather loudly in a high-pitched, lilting voice as he slipped a hand to his hip. “You don’t mean to tell me that this was the little toddler who outshone you both, do you? Seriously, boys, you’re embarrassing me.”

“But Boss! He’s really strong! Really!” Folly continued to defend himself.

“Now that will be enough, now, hear? I won’t take any more excuses, wining, and whatnot. Excuse me, but what did you say your name was, lil’ boy? I wanna say something along the lines of Seth, or Leo, or…” he waved his hand, as if trying to pluck a name out of the air.

“I didn’t say,” I answered stiffly, not liking this guy at all. Did he really call me a toddler?

“Hmm, yes,” the boss lifted his hand to his hand to his chin. “So I see. Oh, well, I think I have it all backwards… I think it was more along the lines of a ‘W’ name, wasn’t it? Short and simple, no? Ah, I got it!” the disco throwback snapped his fingers. “It’s Wes, am I right?”

My eyes widened in surprise. “How--?”

“Ah, I knew it! Miror B is nevah wrong, no? Well, darling, I best explain something to you. Don’t want things getting all mixed up, no? Oh, no, no, no! You don’t want a mess, and I don’t want a mess. There’s a win-win here for everyone.”

I crossed my arms impatiently, waiting for this man to get to his point. Up until now, I thought that Rui was obnoxious, but this guy… He gave the word a completely new meaning. Loud, annoying, and utterly smitten with himself.

“You see, there was a reason why we need to apprehend this charming young lady,” Folly and Trudly’s boss dragged on. “It’s a terrible thing, I agree, but there’s just no other way, dears. She has this special ability that no one should have, don’t you missy? Yeah, she sees things she’s not suppose to, feels things she’s not suppose to. The people like her, they’re not like us at all, and unfortunately, they end up getting in the way. I have very exciting news for you: things are going to start changing around here. But if they’re ever going to go through, if you ever want a better life, then we can’t let people like her walking around at large. Trust me, it’s as much for her safety as for everyone else’s, dear.”

“Rui,” I turned to her in confusion. “What’s he talking about?”

I understood that she had apparently seen a strange shadow around a Pokémon before, but could that be what he was talking about?

Rui glanced over at me through the corner of her eyes and only shook her head, keeping her mouth sealed shut.

“So, Wes dear,” the boss continued. “You have two choices before you: one, you can hand her over to us for safe-keeping; two, you don’t and end up in a world of trouble. And really, who wants trouble? It’s nothing but pain, agony, misery, yadda yadda,” he waved his hand nonchalantly. “Any who, I’ll allow my two assistances here deal with the negotiations, as it appears that I’m needed elsewhere. I’m terribly sorry for my early departure, but time is pressing, as you can guess. I must be off, but please do consider what I’ve said, darling. Oh boys!” he called in a singsong voice, though his lackeys were right behind him.

Trudly and Folly straightened up, quickly bringing up their arms in a salute. “Yes, sir!”

“Please don’t disappoint me again, boys.”

“Of course not, boss!” they answered together once more, never moving from their stance.

“Mmm hmm, indeed. Well, I’ll be off to Pyrite now, and I’ll be anxiously awaiting for your success, yes?” the group’s leader suddenly twirled about, stopping to display a disco stance, his right arm lifting to the air while the other rested at his hip. “Let the music spin! Let’s get it on!”

The disco man strutted past Rui and me, leaving through the door we left open. The three men in cyber uniforms followed him, each glaring at me before exiting. Their faces were well masked by their helmets, and all I could see was their chins and mouths. The last one, dressed in red, scowled as he went by, that much I could tell. I didn’t bother to follow; it was clear that the mayor wasn’t with them, but what had they been doing here then? Something didn’t add up. Still, Trudly and Folly were left alone with us, and as long as they were here, they could still threaten the old man.

Last edited by Charmander009; 04-15-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

“Missed me?” I smirked, stepping forward.

“Don’t get smart with me!” Folly spat.

“You gonna to be a good little boy and hand the girl over?” Trudly interrupted, sneering at us.

“I don’t think so,” I casually folded my arms. Sure, there was something different about Rui, but I wasn’t an idiot. I wasn’t about to give her over to these thugs. They had gagged her and stuffed her in a sack, and that was hardly human. In my peripheral vision, I saw Rui exhale in relief.

“Well, that’s too bad for you,” Folly stepped forward, popping his knuckles and rolling his head on his neck. “That last battle was just a fluke, but I’m ready for you this time. No more foul ups from me.”

“Oh, yeah, your new Pokémon’s just going to scare them out of their socks,” Trudly muttered under his breath.

“Quiet, you!” the fire-haired lackey snapped, taking out his Poké Balls.

I glanced uncertainly around the room, feeling guilty about battling in the mayor’s house. With how rough battles can be, we might end up utterly trashing his living room. Still, I was doing it to help save him, right? He’d understand that a few broken trinkets were a small price to pay for his protection. Nodding to Yin and Yang, they padded forward onto the inconvenient battlefield. We would try to be careful with the property as much as we could, but I wish I could say the same for Folly and Trudly.

“Go, Whismur! Lotad!”

A familiar purple rabbit-like creature flashed into existence from one of Folly’s Poké Balls, but the other that appeared next to it resembled a cross between a turtle and a lily pad. It bravely stood up on the back pair of its six stubby legs and squeaked a challenge. The room suddenly fell quiet.

“Uh, really?” Rui broke the awkward silence, raising an eyebrow.

“Told you,” Trudly sighed, lowering his head.

“All right, I don’t want another word out of any of you!” Folly exclaimed, exasperated. “Shut your yaps and let me battle.”

“Good thing I brought Pokémon this time,” Trudly mumbled, regardless.

Folly spun around, pointing at him warningly with his index finger. His cohort raised his hands in surrender and motioned for him to continue.

“All right, no more fooling around,” Folly declared, facing his team. “Let’s get cracking. Whismur, start with a Supersonic attack. Lotad, absorb! Hop to it!”

Folly’s Lotad promptly obeyed, jumping into the battle excitedly while his partner approached much more cautiously.

“Yin, Reflect,” I countered with orders of my own. “Yang, Taunt.”

My Eevee evolutions moved quicker then Folly’s team, and before the Lotad or Whismur could land their attacks, Yin set up a barrier around himself and his brother. Yang locked eyes with the Whismur as the glowing rings on his body flashed brightly, and as the result, the Whisper Pokémon started fuming at the Umbreon’s enchanted taunt, unable to control himself. The Supersonic attack was all but forgotten, and instead the rabbit punched one of his long ears out at Yang. Deftly, he managed to dodge the ill-aimed blow, smirking smugly to himself. I knew how well the Umbreon enjoyed toying with his opponents, employing tricky tactics and showing off his skill, but sometimes he could get overly cocky. Luckily, his brother would usually watch his back, but at the moment, he was busy with the Lotad. Latching itself onto the barrier around the Espeon, the Water Weed Pokémon was sucking energy from it like a leech. In turn, it was draining a part of Yin’s life source, but being fresh from the Poké Ball, it wasn’t able to keep it up for long. Finally, it dropped back onto the carpeted floor, slow and sluggish as if it had too much to eat.

“Yin, you okay?” I called out to the Espeon in concern, who shook his head clear and kept on a fighting face. Apparently, the attack hadn’t drained too much from him. Taking that as an affirmative, I shouted my next commands: “Confusion, Yin. Yang, Bite.”

“Oi! Get it together, Lotad!” Folly shouted as well. “Nature Power, now! And Whismur, use Stomp!”

The next turn unfolded as the battlers obeyed their next commands. Yin flattened his ears against his head, and the Lotad recoiled as if taking a blow to the head. However, it shook off the attack and squeaked another challenge. We all held our breath as we waited to see what would happen, as Nature Power acted much like Yang’s Secret Power, drawing power from the surrounding environment. Who knew what it would do inside a building? That question was quickly answered when the books shelved behind the Mayor’s desk flew off their perches towards the waiting Espeon. The Reflect he had set up luckily deflected any serious harm, but the force of the books colliding with the barrier jostled him around a little.

Yang, meanwhile, had locked his jaws on one of the Whismur’s ears, who frustratingly tried to stomp his foot on the Umbreon. Yet whenever it got close, Yang would yank on the captive ear, throwing the rabbit off balance. Finally, it got smart and socked Yang in the face with its other ear, forcing him to let go, then kicked the fox to the ground.

Folly started chucking to himself. “Not as easy as last time, huh?”

I gritted my teeth, wondering how to approach this next. These Pokémon were a bit more enduring than the last pair he had, but still, I wasn’t too concerned. Really, why would anyone think that Whismur or Lotad could wipe anyone out? Why not throw flowers and berries and hope that some managed to knock anyone unconscious? The Whismur could cause a little grief, especially if it--

“Uproar, Whismur!” Folly continued. “And Lotad, Astonish!”

Oh, no.

The Whismur immediately started screaming his head off, just as the other two had done back at Phenac’s gate. Everyone’s hands flew up to their ears in an attempt to block out the sound, but somehow it managed to hammer through to our heads. Though it was alone, the volume had to be about the same as the earlier duo, thanks to the enclosed space of the Mayor’s home. What objects were left on the shelves vibrated where they sat, but a vase fell off and shattered all over the floor. All the other Pokémon sat where they stood, dazed. Even the Lotad couldn’t budge for a hesitant moment, until it forced itself into action. Leaping towards Yin, it butted heads with him, yet thanks to the Reflect once more, its power was weakened even though it would have been super-effective.

“Yin, Yang!” I tried shouting over the Uproar, hands still clamped to my ears. “Gang up on it! Use anything!”

I couldn’t be sure if they heard me, but Yin always sensed what I was thinking. Shaking off the effects of the Astonish move and keeping his large ears against his skull, the Espeon blindly charged forward, his body glowing with Return. His mad dash somehow met the howling Whismur, and the Uproar was suddenly cut off as Yin jammed it into a wall, successfully knocking the wind out of it. Yang, his pointy ears flapping against his head as he shook it, turned and glared at the Whismur. After a sharp growl, he charged in and tackled it into the wall yet again. As the two brothers stepped back, a frame slipped off the wall in time to crash into the purple rabbit’s head, effectively knocking it out.

“Just so we’re clear, I hate Whismur,” Trudly growled, fiercely rubbing his ear with an index finger.

“Just so we’re clear, I don’t give a dang,” his companion retorted, holding out a Poké Ball to return his fainted Pokémon. He scowled at me, knowing that he had finally been cornered. Again. His Lotad realized that he was all alone, and suddenly seemed less courageous and determined as before. Still, Folly was going to force him to fight. “Lotad, Mega Drain, now!”

Gulping, the Water Lily Pokémon stepped forward and focused, creating an orb of glowing, green energy before it.

“Yin, Confusion,” I gave my orders. “Yang, Quick Attack.”

Yang disappeared, only to become visible again as he collided with Folly’s Pokémon. His brother followed up with his attack, using his psychic ability to cause the Lotad to hurt himself. The combination of both moves left the creature disoriented and dizzy, until he keeled over and wouldn’t get up again. Once again, Folly had been defeated.

“You’re new to this, aren’t you?” I asked him nonchalantly.

Folly fumed as he returned his last Pokémon, stomping his feet and growling incoherently under his breath. “Again? How could I get beat AGAIN? Arrrh! This is so retarded!”

“Man, you’re gonna get it from the boss,” Trudly whistled.

“Okay, wise guy! I’d like to see you try to beat this guy! Why don’t you step up to the plate?”

“Don’t mind if I do,” the slouching teen lifted his chin, moving in front of his partner in crime. From his orange vest, he took out a pair of Poké Balls, an impish smile spreading across his face. “I’m not weak like Folly. I actually have some good Pokémon.”

“Hey!” Folly frowned.

“I’ll be the judge of that, won’t I?” I replied, gearing up for yet another battle. Yin and Yang, freshly restored from our visit to the Poké Center, remained strong. We could face another round easily, especially if Trudly was anything like his partner.
______
End Chapter

Well, There you have it! ^^ That's got to be the longest chapter I've posted yet. o_____o' Still, I hope you enjoyed it! It was really interesting to get into Rui's point of view for this; i really hadn't thought of it before, but this story is about both of them. Also, there's a little foreshadowing in it that kinda gives a hint to her ability--kind of. Anyway, I apologize for the wait. ^^'

Last edited by Charmander009; 04-15-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

Yay, a new chapter! (This reminds me that I really need to get to work on my own chapters. XD)

First off, typos! =O
Quote:
Warily, I watched her like a cage animal to their captor
Caged
Quote:
His past didn’t matter; it was what he’s doing now that meant more.
I think it should be 'he was'
Quote:
Through the gaps in the window, I watched strange group strut down the street
Needs an 'a' between watched and strange.
Quote:
Atop his head was a massive mess of an afro, one side colored red and the other, red--like a Poké Ball
Shouldn't it be white? XD
Quote:
This only proved that I needed leave Orre as soon as possible
Needed to leave
Quote:
Yang likewise drew closer and sat by side.
By my side?
Quote:
You don’t mean to tell me that this was the little toddler was the one who outshone you both
I think 'was the one' shouldn't be there.
Quote:
“Oh, yeah, you’re new Pokémon’s just going to scare them out of their socks
Should be 'your'.

I liked how you had part of the chapter from Rui's point of view, and showed her thoughts (especially the part about Wes being a member of Snagem). I like that she eventually went to find him because she needed his help; it seemed like a good reason for her to do that even though she had doubts about him.

The battle seemed too easy, but I'm guessing it was like that in the game (???), so that might have been the reason. I look forward to when Wes actually has to battle someone who's a challenge, though. XD

I also wonder what sort of power Rui has. Whatever it is, it seems like it could be dangerous, judging by the way the Snagem members were talking about her.

Looking forward to the next one!

-My Links-
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Hey, thanks, Scy! ^^ (LoL, you do need to work on your chapters xD)

Dang, I thought I chased down most of the typos, but I'm terrible at proofreading my own work. xD Thanks for pointing those out, though. I'll get that fixed right away. ^^

Yeah, in the game, Rui just accepts Wes for who he is right after he battles Wakin, no questions asked. These are her words:

Quote:
Well, what do you know, Wes. So you're from Team Snagem. Oh, right. To be accurate,
I should say former Team Snagem. Its okay. Wes, it doesn't matter to me who you are.
Afterall, you're my gallant prince who rescued me when I was in trouble. So, it doesn't
matter. Besides I thought up something after listening to those creeps. Listen, Wes.
We should go shopping for Some Poke Balls.
It was a little cheesy, right? I wanted to make it sound a little better, and still leave a little room for doubt for her, as you can see happened in the prologue. She might be naive, but she's not that naive. xD (Also, you might notice that I skipped something. After battling Wakin, Wes and Rui were suppose to go shopping for Poke Balls, but it kinda seemed to be a silly little thing to write about, so I skipped it for the moment)

Well, for me, most of the battles in the game were rather easy, especially with Espeon's high Sp. Attack stats and Umbreon's high Sp. Defense & Defense, and the fact that the foes use fairly weak Pokemon in the beginning. But the way I put it, Folly really is a little bit new to battling, with Trudly teaching him what he can (though he's really bull-headed about it). Plus, I do kinda suck at writing battle scenes, but I'm working on it. The battle with Trudly really won't be that easy. Especially with his little suprise *wink, wink*

Well, I'll just say that I did give Rui a little extra then what she actually has in the game, since they didn't really expand on her ability. (BTW, they're not Snagem members, or else Wes would have recognized them ^^) But I love mysteries! xD

But anyway, thanks a bunch, Scy! :D I'm looking forward to your new chapters as well. ^^

Last edited by Charmander009; 04-14-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Michelle8936 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle8936

I was wondering when you'd get the new chapter up XD Nicely done, and that interaction between Wes and Rui was much more realistic than the game.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 PM
ShionRasenka Offline

Send a message via AIM to ShionRasenka Send a message via Skype™ to ShionRasenka

I just finished reading the chapter, and I have to say, I LOVED it!! You're really bringing the game to life!! Rui's thoughts and reactions were just great!! It was so much better than in the game.

And I have to agree, most of the battles in the game were easy. And it was easier since Trudly and Folly had weak pokemon.

Anyway, can't wait for the next chapter Char!! Keep up the awesome work!!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Oh, sorry, just noticed these. Ha ha ha, school's started up again, and of course, life's crazy. But thanks for reading guys. LoL, sorry about the wait, Michelle. xD I'm glad that you guys liked this chapter, and that I seem to be accomplishing what I set out to do with this fic. This last one was quite the bugger to write. I actually had to rewrite it several times... and most of the time I spent on it was during my history class. xD (what? it was kinda boring...)

You know, up until the last battles in the game, they really were easy. : / What's up with that? Well, oh well. ^^

Want to know what's funny? The first time I came close to beating the game, right up during that final battle with you know who, I was doing real great. I was on the edge of my seat and everything. Then guess what happens? POWER FAILURE!!! The lights go out and the screen goes black. My sister will testify of my lengthy wail of disappointment that soon followed. NOOOOOOO!!! xD What a day that was! Unfortunately, I got easily discouraged and didn't pick it up until months later. Still, it makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

Since I'm going off on random notes, want to know what songs help inspire me for this fic? William Joseph's three songs from his Within album (the guy's a freaking genius!): Within (from which the album's name comes from), Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Dust in the Wind (featuring Garuo). Goll, they're amazing! Within in the beginning reminds me of the beginning, when Wes blows up the base. But I'm thinking... what individual themes would you guys give Colosseum's characters? I kinda like the Goo Goo doll's "Iris" or "I'm Still Here (from Treasure Planet)" for Wes, personally. Maybe "Keep Holding On" by Avril Lavene for Rui, but what do you guys think?

(Funky Town totally goes for Miror B! xD)

Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
"I'm Still Here (from Treasure Planet)"
XDDD That's Kinje's theme song! XD

As for songs for your characters...well, I'm not sure. I'm kind of bad at matching songs to characters most of the time. The ones who do have 'theme songs' have them because I just happened to discover that the songs fit them. XD

-My Links-
Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Kinje's song? Really? LoL! I didn't think that anyone would know that song, but yay for proving me wrong! Scy wins a cookie! :D (Really really liked that show because it was about pirates IN SPACE!!! EPICNESS!!! Kinda funny because I just finished reading the original Treasure Island) Now that I think about it, that is a really good song for him. ^^