Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Stories

Stories Write a story to catch Pokemon. A Grader will then decide if it catches or not.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Hey, everybody.

I figured I should give you guys a bit of warning. I'm gonna open up the new spring writing competition pretty soon. Probably next week sometime. If you want to participate, all you gotta do is come up with the first 5,000 characters of your story. And that's it. Each week you'll write another 5K, using the other stories that have entered as some means of inspiration. And the competition will go on for probably two months or so, until I announce the winner.

Also, due to the nature of the competition, there's absolutely no way for me, as the host, to skew the results in anyone's favor. So I'll be participating, too. I think I can handle writing 5K per week. Probably.

Anyway, look forward to it.

Last edited by Galleon; 03-07-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Grrr.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 AM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Send a message via AIM to DarkGardevoir Send a message via MSN to DarkGardevoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post
Hey, everybody.

I figured I should give you guys a bit of warning. I'm gonna open up the new spring writing competition pretty soon. Probably next week sometime. If you want to participate, all you gotta do is come up with the first 5,000 characters of your story. And that's it. Each week you'll write another 5K based, using the other stories that have entered as some means of inspiration. And the competition will go on for probably two months or so, until I announce the winner.

Also, due to the nature of the competition, there's absolutely no way for me, as the host, to skew the results in anyone's favor. So I'll be participating, too. I think I can handle writing 5K per week. Probably.

OM EEEH GOD

I remember hen I used to do stuff like that on Neopets.

I feel pretty silly talking about that here, lol. I guess I can use any of the stubs I've been witholding up until now. This sounds like fun!

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: the alimighty ranger station
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 AM
luke39 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to luke39

Well I was never the best story writer. But 5k a week will do me good! I really need to be more involved in the URPG!

Mighteyena
Obtained:294
Hatch @ 309
Evolve @ 348
Lv 100 @ 594
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Bumblebee16 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Bumblebee16 Send a message via MSN to Bumblebee16 Send a message via Yahoo to Bumblebee16

That sounds pretty cool, I will definitly see if I can do this.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Me has a question!

Say one week we write more than needed, could those extra characters be counted off for the next week entry?

For example, is it "At least 5k each week, regardless of how much you do actually write" or "Goal is 5k each week for X week, for a total of at least X?"

hope it was clear. Dun think so, though.

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGardevoir View Post
Me has a question!

Say one week we write more than needed, could those extra characters be counted off for the next week entry?

For example, is it "At least 5k each week, regardless of how much you do actually write" or "Goal is 5k each week for X week, for a total of at least X?"

hope it was clear. Dun think so, though.
Actually, it'll be anything between 4-6K. That general area. It'd be bad to allow people to post too much at once. You can write ahead, of course, but you just can't post more than that at a time.

But obviously, if you do choose to write ahead, you still have to account for the "inspiration" factor, so you'll likely end up going back the next week and rewriting parts to include elements from someone else's story. Which might be a good strategy for some people. Other folks might wanna just fly by the seat of their pants the whole time. And with the competition the way it is, flying by the seat of your pants will still allow you plenty of material to pull from with each new round. So there's not a whole lot of advantage to writing ahead, but if that's what you like to do, then you can. It really just depends on your personal preference. I mean, this competition does sorta force people to pace themselves, WHICH IS FREAKING GREAT IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, but I digress.

And I know, 5k isn't very much room, but that's also a part of the competition. "How well can you refine your writing?" is the idea. You don't want to try to cram too much stuff into so little space, but at the same time, you don't want it to be boring, either. Should be interesting.

That got a little ramble-y, but you get the idea, right?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Quote:

Actually, it'll be anything between 4-6K. That general area. It'd be bad to allow people to post too much at once. You can write ahead, of course, but you just can't post more than that at a time.

But obviously, if you do choose to write ahead, you still have to account for the "inspiration" factor, so you'll likely end up going back the next week and rewriting parts to include elements from someone else's story. Which might be a good strategy for some people. Other folks might wanna just fly by the seat of their pants the whole time. And with the competition the way it is, flying by the seat of your pants will still allow you plenty of material to pull from with each new round. So there's not a whole lot of advantage to writing ahead, but if that's what you like to do, then you can. It really just depends on your personal preference. I mean, this competition does sorta force people to pace themselves, WHICH IS FREAKING GREAT IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, but I digress.

And I know, 5k isn't very much room, but that's also a part of the competition. "How well can you refine your writing?" is the idea. You don't want to try to cram too much stuff into so little space, but at the same time, you don't want it to be boring, either. Should be interesting.

That got a little ramble-y, but you get the idea, right?
yea, I get it. More or less. I actually only asked this because I got thinking about how to end the story around the 4-6k mark, since I tend to have problems finding ways to make satisfactory cliffhangers and whatnot.

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Ahahaha, this'll be interesting. I read "spring writing competition" and was like, "Crap, no time," BUT THIS SHOULD BE DO-ABLE. :3 Awesome.

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 PM
poke123 Offline

Quote:
Hey, everybody.

I figured I should give you guys a bit of warning. I'm gonna open up the new spring writing competition pretty soon. Probably next week sometime. If you want to participate, all you gotta do is come up with the first 5,000 characters of your story. And that's it. Each week you'll write another 5K, using the other stories that have entered as some means of inspiration. And the competition will go on for probably two months or so, until I announce the winner.

So will you be choosing the winner?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke123 View Post
So will you be choosing the winner?
Oh, no. That was a poor choice of words on my part.

The winner is decided ONLY by the people who enter. The way it works is that all the entrants post their little 5K introductions for the first round. And then, for the second round, everyone posts another 5K of their story, but this time, they have to draw some kind of inspiration from the other stories that were entered.

And the inspiration can be anything, really. You just have to make sure to include a sentence or two at the end of your post that tells us whose story you drew from and how you modified it to work for your own. That's it. But that little piece is important, because it serves as your "vote." The winner(s) of each week will be determined by whoever receives the most votes.

And like I mentioned before, because the competition is structured this way, it's impossible for me, as the host, to skew the results in anyone's favor. Voting is all completely out in the open.

As far as prizes are concerned, I'm not entirely sure yet. I've gotta devise a way to make sure the distribution is fair and still worthwhile. A prize for every week might be too much, since there will be like eight weeks of competition. Perhaps every other week, I'll give a cash prize to the leader, or leaders if there are a lot of stories.

EDIT: By the way, everybody. Shock64 has passed the grader test. Everyone be happy 'n junk.

Last edited by Galleon; 03-07-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: GRAARRR
Old 03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
poke123 Offline

Quote:

Oh, no. That was a poor choice of words on my part.

The winner is decided ONLY by the people who enter. The way it works is that all the entrants post their little 5K introductions for the first round. And then, for the second round, everyone posts another 5K of their story, but this time, they have to draw some kind of inspiration from the other stories that were entered.

And the inspiration can be anything, really. You just have to make sure to include a sentence or two at the end of your post that tells us whose story you drew from and how you modified it to work for your own. That's it. But that little piece is important, because it serves as your "vote." The winner(s) of each week will be determined by whoever receives the most votes.

And like I mentioned before, because the competition is structured this way, it's impossible for me, as the host, to skew the results in anyone's favor. Voting is all completely out in the open.

As far as prizes are concerned, I'm not entirely sure yet. I've gotta devise a way to make sure the distribution is fair and still worthwhile. A prize for every week might be too much, since there will be like eight weeks of competition. Perhaps every other week, I'll give a cash prize to the leader, or leaders if there are a lot of stories.
Alright, cool. I still have a few questions though.

Will we be "voting" for multiple stories or just one? Do the points add up over the rounds? Are we going to know ahead of time how many rounds there will be? The reason I ask is because if we do, writers can sort of plan ahead and be able to draw their stories to a close in the last week. As far as prizes go, is there going to be one grand prize at the end?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Quote:
Alright, cool. I still have a few questions though.

Will we be "voting" for multiple stories or just one?
Just one, I think. Pulling from multiple stories could get really hairy. Maybe if this competition goes well, we could try changing this rule for the next one, but we'll see.
Quote:
Do the points add up over the rounds?
Yes and no. I'll keep two running tallies: one for each individual week, and then one for the whole contest.
Quote:
Are we going to know ahead of time how many rounds there will be? The reason I ask is because if we do, writers can sort of plan ahead and be able to draw their stories to a close in the last week.
That's a difficult question. Right now, I'm thinking it should be eight weeks long, but y'know, if activity is too low, it could only last four or five weeks. And on the other hand, if activity is really high, then folks might want it to be even longer, which we would have ample time for, since the Summer Competition doesn't start until July.

But if you're only worried about planning the length of your story, then it may behoove you to know that, once the competition is done, I'll allow everyone to submit/continue their stories for a regular grade, if they want. And that includes the story(ies) that won.

So, really, just participating in the competition will, if nothing else, help you to get a story done within a fairly reasonable amount of time. And for some of us, that's a reward in itself.
Quote:
As far as prizes go, is there going to be one grand prize at the end?
Yeah, there'll be one big grand prize at the end for the overall winner. What the prize is, exactly, I'll decide after seeing what level of participation the contest gets.

And man. All this discussion is getting me kinda pumped...
Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Shock64 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Shock64 Send a message via MSN to Shock64

Quote:
EDIT: By the way, everybody. Shock64 has passed the grader test. Everyone be happy 'n junk.
Gee, Galleon. Thanks for the teeny edit. xD

In other news, I'll probably be doing that competition when it comes along. x3

|URPG Stats|Contest Stats|Park Stats|
Old 03-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

Quote:
Hey, everybody.

Ummm... So yeah, not really back from being gone, but I was lurking aimlessly and I saw this. I'm doing it. Screw homework.

*disappears again without a trace*

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

COME GET EATEN BY IMPATIENT WRITERS WITH US, SHOCK.

Just as long as you don't take three months [like me], you should be OKAY.

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.

Last edited by Scourge of Amaranth; 03-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.