Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam
Default Church and State: Religious Influences in society, laws, traditions of the US

We all know that the days of the almighty church that sends you to jail for workig on a Sunday are long gone *and good riddence*, and yet the prescence of long-held religious traditions are irrevocably omnipresent in American society. The majority of our laws our based upon Christian beliefs, and many holidays are Christian ones. What follow are examples of present-day religious influence in the US:

-Christmas and Easter are national holidays

-Public Schools get Christmas, Easter, and even Good Friday off

-(in the Boston, MA area) network televisions (WB, Fox, etc.) broadcast the Catholic Mass on Sunday mornings

-Public Schools must offer lunches with no meat in them on Fridays during Lent

There are undoubtedly many more; those are just a few. Christmas can be written off policitally correct as having the Winter Solstice off (although that too, is a religious holiday , a Wiccan holiday, I believe) Easter's on a Sunday, so no explanations neccessary there. But the day that sticks out in my mind the most is Good Friday. No one (to my knowledge) in the US has to go to school on Good Friday, because of it's importance in Christianity. Being a Catholic, I don't resent these things; I embrace them. I am just amazed somethimes at how much Christianity is embedded in American Society. However, at the same time, there is also much religious tolerance. Students are allowed to take a day off from school if it is a religious holiday; it's excused.

What do you guys think about this? I know I'm a little conservative *shudders* when it comes to this; I personally wold perfer to go back to saying the Lord's Prayer each morning in school, but that's just me.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Ferret Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ferret Send a message via MSN to Ferret Send a message via Yahoo to Ferret
Default Re: Church and State: Religious Influences in society, laws, traditions of the US

It's funny how places such as the UK and US are supposed to be so multicultural, but Christian holidays and beliefs are usually forced upon the children of other religions and societys.

Lord's prayer? Yeah, I'm sure every Hindu mother in the world wants their children saying the Christian, Lord's Prayer every day.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Seven Offline

Default Re: Church and State: Religious Influences in society, laws, traditions of the US

Well, I don't really mind these thing ^^;.
I'm not religious, and I just think of Good Friday as a day off, not as the day Christ died.
Still, I don't think religious festivities should be abolished in public life. Why? They have nothing to do with the religion anymore, they are embedded in the culture of America (and Europe for the greater part) itself. They are part of the identity of the people that live in a culture, wether they are religious or not.
Here, in the Netherlands, there is a debate going on wether we should have a muslim national holiday too, instead of a christian holiday, like Good Friday. I really don't want this, not because I don't accept muslims, but because Good Friday is our religious day wich I don't believe in. It's part of me, being a Dutchman.

Hope it makes sense oO;;^^
Old 03-10-2004, 10:39 PM
plasmaball3000 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to plasmaball3000 Send a message via AIM to plasmaball3000 Send a message via MSN to plasmaball3000 Send a message via Yahoo to plasmaball3000

I really don't mind it so much up to the point of it being more than a small vacation. I go to a private school, and we do get those days off, but there are a large number of people who are Jewish at our school (our principal is also Jewish), so our breaks are longer sometimes to include Jewish holidays, and if anyone does have a religious holiday, they can get off school.

Apart from holidays however, my school is very strict about religious holidays. The elementry school can't even celebrate holloween .
Old 03-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret
It's funny how places such as the UK and US are supposed to be so multicultural, but Christian holidays and beliefs are usually forced upon the children of other religions and societys.

Lord's prayer? Yeah, I'm sure every Hindu mother in the world wants their children saying the Christian, Lord's Prayer every day.
Well, when Hindu people had come to the United States, they should have expected to have to embrace our culture and way of life, just like we would have to embrace theirs if we entered their country. The Hindu people have their own culture, and we have ours. But we can't be expected to break our culture just because of their presence. No one said they had to come here. That was their choice and in accepting the decision to come to this country, they accepted the decision to be a part of this country, and be a part of its culture and way of life.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Crimson Spider Offline
Experienced Trainer

You get Good Friday off? Lucky!

I would hardly consider the Pledge of Alliegence to be the lords prayer.

Not really too much to say here.

Sup, Dog? Check this out.
http://www.liliy.net/mdak/guestart.html
Old 03-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Kan Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu
Well, when Hindu people had come to the United States, they should have expected to have to embrace our culture and way of life, just like we would have to embrace theirs if we entered their country. The Hindu people have their own culture, and we have ours. But we can't be expected to break our culture just because of their presence. No one said they had to come here. That was their choice and in accepting the decision to come to this country, they accepted the decision to be a part of this country, and be a part of its culture and way of life.
That's true...except that America is built on the premise that everyone can and should be able to practice their own beliefs without another being forced onto them. It's a paradox, but it's our paradox.

I don't really care if we get Christian holidays off; no one's forcing us to go home and celebrate Easter/Lent, right? But, if they took the day at school to celebrate Good Friday instead of letting us go home, I would be up in arms.

On the Good Friday/Lent thing: Several food services offer non-meat items, not just schools. McDonald's has its nasty McFish or whatever sandwiches for a dollar every Fri all thru Lent; just another reason to hate McD.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Saya Offline
Master Trainer

America was founded on Christianity. I get ALL christian holidays off cause I go to a christian school.

Thanks to JamieRovis from Serebii for the great banner!

Paired with Batesy!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret
Heh, I never said they would...it's just my opinion. Besides, do all Hindu children attend American schools? I think not.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.