Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Marketplace

Marketplace Pokemart, Quizzes and Contests inside! Spend or earn your money here.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon
Default Grader Wages: 11/12 - 12/18

Well, I'm doing wages again. I KNOW YOU'RE EXCITED, BUT PLEASE TRY TO REMAIN CALM. Not a whole lot of grades in these peaceful times, so have some extra money and some extra feedback: gifts from me to you. Ho ho ho...

Fever: $9,000
$8,000 Moderate - The Sinning Box Argh, bright color are not good for those of us who shun the light of day. Er, anyway, I like that you're trying to organize your thoughts more with the way you break the grade up. Shows you're putting more thought into your reviews 'n junk. However, organization can also come back to bite you, if you're not careful. For instance, there's the way you break most of the sections up into 'positive feedback' and 'constructive feedback.' I won't say this is a bad idea, but just... tread lightly, here, because not all forms of feedback need be categorized in this fashion. Feedback that is purely opinion-based is especially difficult in this regard, and in fact, trying to categorize it may only confuse matters more (for yourself or worse, for the author). Just something to keep in mind as you move forward, I guess.
+$1,000

Limelight: $3,000
$2,000 Basic – It’s a Start Mm, it'd be better if you were a bit more specific in your criticism. Saying a story is 'plain' or 'unoriginal' or that the author should give characters more 'personality' is all well and good, but how is the author supposed to actually do these things? That's where people could really use some help, I think, so if you can answer those kinds of questions - even just one or two of them - then I'm sure your grades will become a lot more helpful. Not saying it's an easy thing to do, but... well, that's how we getter at things, eh?
+$1,000

Lord Khajmer: $5,400
$2,400 Basic - Judgement Day Well, your reference to the use of Chekhov's Gun was nice 'n all, but I think it only made things more confusing, even assuming the author knew what a Chekhov's Gun was. This is a tricky literary device to analyze, because it refers to an object early in the story that is of seeming insignificance, but as you're describing it, this object (Asperger's syndrome) is something of obvious importance, which is somewhat counter-intuitive, if you think about it. I mean, I get what you were saying, but couple that with the fact that the grade was fairly short already, and I think the inclusion of this reference only served to work against you in actually helping the reader.
$2,000 Basic – Catch That Magikarp! Honestly, I should probably give you Weak pay for this one, but since you at least put a fair amount of work into the freaking thing, you get Basic. BE MORE CONSTRUCTIVE, DAMMIT. If you insist on being harsher than most graders, that's fine, but you better make up for it with lots of solid, constructive feedback. The right to grade harshly has a price, YOU GET ME?
+$1,000

Phantom Kat: $12,500
$11,500 Moderate - False Accusation™ Hmm... What can I say about Miss Kat? Well, this particular grade certainly wasn't bad, by any means. It covered all the important aspects of the story, and it's exactly the kind of strong grade I've come to expect from you. And of course, it's not like I expect you to aim for Complex or Extensive grades all the time, either. But... since I'm already handing out advice to everyone, and I wouldn't want you to feel like I've just been glossing over your grades... well, here we go. One thing you might consider is the way in which you bring up a lot of important questions, especially about the plot, like in this grade, where you mentioned that inconsistency was a big problem. It can really help if you take it one step further and suggest possible solutions to such inconsistencies (not all of them, of course, since there could be a whole bunch, but some), because this requires you to delve deeper into the machinations of the storyline, considering how things actually tie together and work. Moreover, getting into the habit of trying to help the author discover solutions to these kinds of problems (regardless of whether or not you actually mean for the author to go back and fix them) is just a good exercise in general, helpful for both the author and for yourself, as well. Makes things more difficult, sure, but then, it only makes sense that writing more difficult stories requires more difficult experience.
+$1,000

Sec: $6,400
$3,400 Basic - Rayne, Rayne, Go Away Eh, your bit about the Introduction isn't necessarily true. Action doesn't automatically make the beginning of a story more engaging, and moreover, the author doesn't always have to first introduce the characters and setting to the reader before anything else. Those are just one method of storywriting, not THE method. Try not to impose unnecessary limits on the author (or yourself, for that matter).
$2,000 Basic - Magikarp and the rotten boot Remember to go easier people new to the URPG Story section, as well as stories that are only going for the easy captures like Magikarp. I'm glad you're trying to be thorough, but don't go overboard with the simple stories, either. Just make sure you tell the author that he or she will have to keep improving in order to keep capturing, and you'll be golden for new stories. Only time you wanna fail these easy categories is when it's clear to you that the author put forth practically zero effort, even though you're sure that they could've easily done much better.
It's hard to tell with only these two grades to base my assessment off of, but I think you're improving a bit, compared to the last time I did wages, so just keep it up. I'm not trying to scold you with all this advice, but I am trying to help get better at grading.

+$1,000

Sequentio: $5,800
$2,600 Basic - Pokemon Encounters (Chapters 2 and 3) "Defence" isn't actually a misspelling, but rather just an alternative spelling of "defense." Careful of these types of things.
$2,200 Basic - Let's give this a whirl I'm glad to see that your grammar has gotten better, but if you're looking to reach Moderate ranked grades, then you'll have to provide more than the general feedback of "describe people/places/things more." Try to be more specific, if you can. Also, "dialogue" doesn't mean "action." Dialogue refers to a conversation (or any form of communication between characters, really), so watch out for that. Overall, you're doing alright, so keep it up.
+$1,000

As a final note, try not to be too harsh, everyone. REMEMBER YOUR HOLIDAY SPIRIT. EITHER THAT, OR REMEMBER THAT I'LL YELL AT YOU. NOW GET OUTTA HERE. GAH.

Last edited by Galleon; 12-19-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Knew I was forgetting something... RAAAAARGGGHHH
Old 12-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Sec Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Sec
Default Re: Grader Wages: 11/12 - 12/18

Claiming :]
Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Eh, sorry about the Chekov's gun thing. It was just a new thing I learned and I got a little excited at the prospect of using that knowledge. *claims*
Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Eh, sorry about the Chekov's gun thing. It was just a new thing I learned and I got a little excited at the prospect of using that knowledge. *claims*
It's all good. I certainly can't blame you for getting excited about literary junk.

Man. Is it me, or did it just get nerdy as hell in here? Oh well...
Old 12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Sequentio Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sequentio

I'll claim my wages. :D
Old 12-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

Man. Is it me, or did it just get nerdy as hell in here? Oh well...
It's cause I'm here. ;)

Thank you for the feedback, George. ^.^ I'll make sure to eleborate more on fixing plot mistakes than just pointing them out. Hopefully, I can grade more after I'm not sick/finish fic chapter/finish WWC entry/finish reasing FF stories. *claims money and runs*

- Kat

EDIT: lol 4,444th post.

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Fever Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Fever Send a message via MSN to Fever

Sorry to be claiming so late, but thanks for both the cash and the comments, George. :) I'll try to bear this in mind :D