Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Third Generation

Third Generation Discuss the third generation Pokemon games: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 PM
theajshow Offline

Question How do you know if a used Gen III game is good?

How can you tell if a used 3rd Generation game is good? Specifically, how can you tell if the internal battery is good and all that? As far as I know, if the internal battery is bad, you can't do certain things related to time, such as grow berries and the like. So, when buying a used verstion of Emerald, Ruby, or Sapphire, is there a quick check to make sure it's a good copy?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: How do you know if a used Gen III game is good?

I don't think there is any sure way unless you have knowledge on how to take em apart and look at the internal battery.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

3rd Gen? You really don't need to be worrying about the internal battery on that. In fact, I acually don't know if the newer GBA games still USE old batteries to create save files like that anymore.
Nevertheless, if they do, there's no need to be worried about it. Keep in mind- they're only 6 years old or so, and it's the games that are upwards of 8 years that the batteries start to go out, like 2nd and 1st Gen.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Atheena Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
3rd Gen? You really don't need to be worrying about the internal battery on that. In fact, I acually don't know if the newer GBA games still USE old batteries to create save files like that anymore.
Nevertheless, if they do, there's no need to be worried about it. Keep in mind- they're only 6 years old or so, and it's the games that are upwards of 8 years that the batteries start to go out, like 2nd and 1st Gen.
Umm, the internal battery ONLY affects berry growth... it doesn't corrupt the entire file. So if you are so desparete to get berries and your batteries bad just get a Meowth or Zigzagoon. They pick up berries, if I remember correctly, so the battery thing would NOT matter.

actually if you read this... I am begging you... drop me a VM.

~OFFICIALLY PAIRED TO: MARSHMALLOW POPE
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
thejuggla1 Offline

I thought if the battery runs out it 'forgets' your save file, I know it does for my old Pokemon Silver.

Anyways since we are on the topic, when replacing the battery, how long do you have before it 'forgets' the save file? Its about 15 minutes right?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM
gemini spark Offline
Amateur Trainer

i think once remove the battery(not sure)
Old 12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
theajshow Offline

I think for Gen II games, once the internal battery is dead, it no longer keeps old save files and you can't save new files.

But back to the main question, there's no reasonably quick way to see if the internal battery is good on a Gen. III game? I once was at a Gamestop and the guy working there "checked" if the game was good and he said it was, but I don't know what he "checked." Of course, he could have just been going through the motions and not doing anything. But he did turn the game on and do something with it for a minute. Any clues?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
The_Pastmaster Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by theajshow View Post
I think for Gen II games, once the internal battery is dead, it no longer keeps old save files and you can't save new files.

But back to the main question, there's no reasonably quick way to see if the internal battery is good on a Gen. III game? I once was at a Gamestop and the guy working there "checked" if the game was good and he said it was, but I don't know what he "checked." Of course, he could have just been going through the motions and not doing anything. But he did turn the game on and do something with it for a minute. Any clues?
Isn't there a shop tool for GBA cartridges and the like that checks the battery, circuts and data that some people use? Think I've seen one before. Not sure
Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 PM
theajshow Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pastmaster View Post
Isn't there a shop tool for GBA cartridges and the like that checks the battery, circuts and data that some people use? Think I've seen one before. Not sure
Well, if there is, I've never seen it. The last time a game store guy "checked" a game, he just put it in a GBA and turned it on, no special equipment that I saw.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 PM
QuestionablyRoyal Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to QuestionablyRoyal

If it has a hole in the front and there's nothing inside of it... It's a bad game.

Groovy!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Atheena Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionablyRoyal View Post
If it has a hole in the front and there's nothing inside of it... It's a bad game.
The internal battery DOES NOT DELETE THE SAVE FILE IN GEN III!! In gen II it does but in III all it does is stops berry growth, get your facts straight guys.

actually if you read this... I am begging you... drop me a VM.

~OFFICIALLY PAIRED TO: MARSHMALLOW POPE
Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 AM
CHIMCHAR13 Offline
Experienced Trainer

My internal battery died in Saphire a couple of days ago. My save file was still intact, but I guess I can't grow berries anymore which sucks. Every time I load it up it reminds me that the battery has gone dry; that seems like one way to check if the game's battery hasn't gone out yet. Anyone know if Emerald version has this same type of internal battery? I've been wanting to buy it for awhile.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Carrottime Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIMCHAR13 View Post
My internal battery died in Saphire a couple of days ago. My save file was still intact, but I guess I can't grow berries anymore which sucks. Every time I load it up it reminds me that the battery has gone dry; that seems like one way to check if the game's battery hasn't gone out yet. Anyone know if Emerald version has this same type of internal battery? I've been wanting to buy it for awhile.
It does, but the game is newer, so it shouldn't be an issue.