Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Redlark Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark
Default The Green Shadows, Part 1: Cesar [PG]

So, for those who were there, but probably don't remember... About five years ago I started but never finished a fanfic by the same name as this. This is my re-written version with better execution than before. For those who don't know the characters or the original, don't bother. The only story of mine worth reading with the same characters that show up in this is, And as the Wind Blows, which can be found in my Author Archive. YES I'm still working on that story, and YES I'll finish it. I just wanted to finally restart this project once more. And YES, I'm still providing the link to the original Green Shadows story, but WILL NOT continue it.

The Green Shadows, Part 1: Cesar

Prologue

It wasn’t the idea of death and taxes that was too hard for Daniel McCormick to handle at the age of seventeen. However; it was the uncertainty that followed such matters. He sat at his dining table alone in front of a large pile of unpaid bills, rubbing his forehead; he wished his mother was still alive.

His grandfather was horrible with money and Daniel knew this was his grandfather’s karma after death. He loved his grandfather; and the night before as Daniel sat next to him at his bed, he told his only grandson that he was sorry. He told him that he loved him. And he told him they’d see each other one day again.

But last night had seemed like nearly a month ago, the entire morning that followed was an eternity of farm work. He was alone, Daniel’s grandfather was dead. Tears began welling in Daniel’s eyes, his fist clenched. Kicking a chair to the ground, Daniel huffed as he picked up his backpack. It already had some clothes, food, and Poke balls ready to go. He planned to become a trainer several months prior, but with the ailing health of his grandfather, he postponed his journey.

Walking into the living room of the old farmhouse, he thought of all the good memories of his early childhood, before his father got lost at sea; before his mother died from tuberculosis. And now, even a few days ago, when his grandfather was still alive; those were the days that were now lost, somewhere in the ghosts of his mind.

He didn’t have a job, and he wasn’t even out of high school. He couldn’t find any way to pay his grandfather’s dept, or even his grandfather’s back taxes. So looking around, trying hard to forget who he was, he did what a lot of guys his age would’ve done…

Daniel ran.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 AM
iChaos Offline

Default Re: The Green Shadows, Part 1: Cesar [PG]

This is awesome, please finish it.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Redlark Offline

Thanks, Chaos. I'm glad you like the story.

So if anyone that has read my other story, And as the Wind Blows, you've probably realized that this story is about the Green Shadows. If you have any questions on characters from there and where they are in here, I'll be happy to explain... unless it's a spoiler. Yes... this story takes place before that one... But yeah... the Laura in this story is the same Laura from that story... And yes, I'm going to post another chapter for, And as the Wind Blows, soon. Probably before the next chapter to this.

Chapter 1

The sun was beginning to set on Cherrygrove. In town, the five o’clock rush was wearing down as the last few stragglers were heading home from a long days work. Kids trained their Pokemon on the beach and a Meowth nestled down in a grove of flowers that spread themselves all over the midtown square.

Laura was your usual fifteen year old want-to be trainer. She had gone to Earl’s Trainer Academy up north in Violet City, and even trained a couple times at Faulkner’s Gym. Her family didn’t have a lot of money on hand, but they still tried hard to support their daughter’s dream of becoming a top class trainer. Just like her father, who was a coal miner for the New Bark Resources Company, she was given a Sandshrew at an early age. She named her friend Shemp, after Daniel’s favorite Stooge.

Laura sat in the family room watching the television with Shemp as her father came in through the front door. Her father smiled, smelling the cooking of dinner that wafted towards him from the kitchen.

Dinner was good as always, and being done with all her homework, Laura laid down on her bed staring at the ceiling thinking of one person…

Daniel.

Shemp curled into the corner of her room on his small bedding and purred a little with a smile.

Laura was your usual girl next door. She was cute, but not what a kid would probably call, “drop dead gorgeous.” This wasn’t to mean that she wasn’t pretty. She had long black hair that came just a little past her shoulders, and she always seemed to have a slight fashion sense, even if she didn’t care what she was wearing. Looking nice was an almost innate personality trait of hers; and deep down, she knew this, and was a bit proud of the fact.

But, oh Daniel… He was a great guy to her. They had been friends since preschool and they knew each other’s inner workings like they were incarnates of themselves.

She closed her eyes, reached to her bedside where her alarm clock sat, and hit the sleep button. A mellow Beattle’s tune hummed into her ears, and she rested thinking of the day she had to deal with in the morning. She had to wake early for school, so going to sleep early that night was going to be important to actually do. Normally, she would head over to Daniel’s farm and chat with him and his grandfather about the shows that played on the TV; sometimes about politics, maybe even about the newest hot trainers in the champion circuits. They were always pleasant evenings that usually incorporated a game of cards and a hot cup of cocoa.

Her dreams wandered and she thought of the journey that her and Daniel were about to take across Jhoto. Then came the whispers from her window.

“Laura,” a quiet voice hushed. “You awake?”

Laura sighed and knew exactly who it was, despite being on the second floor, this voice was nearly a nightly occurrence. “I can’t hear you, Danny,” Laura replied coyly towards her window.

“Seriously, Laura. We need to talk…”

Laura sighed and got up from her bed. Walked to her window, pulled the window up wider and rested her arms on the sill looking down at Daniel, who seemed to look a bit more pathetic than usual.

Daniel was wearing his good overalls and a dark green flannel shirt; he was also wearing his good leather jacket. His backpack also seemed a bit full.

“Where you goin’, Danny?” Laura asked, sympathetically. Something was wrong with Daniel, and it was in his eyes. And either way, he wasn’t one to go anywhere with his favorite work clothes or a full backpack. Perhaps, tonight was the night they went on their journey.

The old farm boy gave out a small breath, looking for words that couldn’t come around. “I don’t know, Laura… Grandad’s dead…”

Laura’s face drooped a little, “I’m sorry, Dan… I’ll be right down,” Laura replied disappearing into her room. She shut the window behind her; Daniel spaced off staring at her window.

“This could be the last time I do this,” Daniel said to himself. “What am I doing?”

Daniel sighed, and walked slowly to the front door of Laura’s house and looked up at the sky. The crickets chirped quietly and the clouds were dyed red from the setting sun. A lonely Murkrow flew above him and perched on a tree. Daniel looked at the bird and remembered fondly of the unwanted friends from last year’s crop. Oddly, there had recently been quite a bit of Murkrows following him in the past few months; he thought sadly about the superstitions of death and the passing of his grandfather. Though, somewhere in the back of his mind, anytime he would look at a Murkrow and the bird would stare back, he knew this wasn’t the case. And even though the rest of the town thought of the birds to be pests and bad omens, Daniel began to feel akin to the lonely black birds.

The door opened and Laura came out in a suit of baggy lavender pajamas. She looked more beautiful than ever, thought Daniel. He forced a smile at her, and she didn’t say a word. She stepped out towards him and gave him a firm loving hug. “Are you alright?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’ll be okay,” he replied. “But I’ve got to leave town.”

Laura let go of Daniel and looked into his eyes. “What? Are you sure you’re okay. When did your grandfather--”

“Last night.”

“So is he at a funeral home? When’s the funeral?”

A deeply hurt look came over Daniel, “I can’t pay for a funeral; do you know how much those things cost?” Daniel’s voice seemed to crack a little as he continued, “They took him away, I arranged a cremation, but I can’t pay for it. I--”

“Maybe my family can pay for it,” Laura interrupted.

“No. It’s not your problem.”

“Daniel. It’s not a problem; you’re family. I know for sure my family can help.”

“I--,” Daniel began to stutter a little bit. “Well, I—here’s the plan.”

Laura looked to Daniel pensively and had a feeling she knew he was going to say something a bit rash. “What?”

“I’m leaving tonight. I don’t know where, and at this point I don’t know how I’m going to do it. But I’ll try to get a Pokemon on the way, someway or the other. I just need to leave town, and leave tonight.”

“Why tonight?”

“Fifty-thousand dollars. And if you include the cremation and possible funeral, fifty-five thousand.”

Confused, Laura asked, “What do you mean?”

“My grandfather’s dept to some sort of creditor. I even saw some papers on taxes and, I dunno’ what to do! It’s bad, though. They seem piled from a few years ago. Even then, I can’t take care of the farm anymore; I don’t think I have the money for the fertilizer and in the end of the harvest, I’ll be lucky to break even.”

“Really?”

“I’m leaving, and I have to go now. I’ll change my name if I have to, I just--”

IF Daniel was leaving tonight, Laura thought. What about her? She knew the same thoughts were running through his head, and she waited for Daniel to ask her if she wanted to go with him, so she waited.

“I--,” Daniel paused. “I couldn’t leave without saying goodbye to you.”

Laura’s heart fell a little bit into her chest, “when are you coming back?” she asked.

“I’m not…”

Laura looked deeply into his eyes and her heart raced a little.

“I just wanted to tell you, Laura. And--”

“Yes, I’m coming with you!” Laura interrupted. Giving Daniel a quick kiss on the cheek, “I’ll try to be fast. I’m sorry we have to start things like this.” She ran back inside of her house. Scurried around up and down the stairs for her Poke supplies; ran to her parents room and told them the news, and began stuffing her backpack with her clothes.

“Tonight?” Laura’s mother asked.

“Yeah; it can’t wait till the morning, I want to see if I can catch a Hoot-hoot anyway.”

Shemp woke from his nest in the corner of Laura’s room a bit drowsy, but gave a sigh of relief as he zapped into a Pokeball to nap a bit longer.

Outside, Daniel was torn from feelings. No matter how much he wanted Laura to follow him out of town, he had no Pokemon. He was soon to be a petty criminal on the run; back taxes and dept. That wasn’t a life he wanted Laura to live. And no matter how much he loved her, he had to go alone. There also seemed to be sort of carnal destiny that told him to be alone. Almost as if he was destined to live and die alone. But nothing that he wanted; just something he had no choice but to do. And besides, he thought; she’d probably do better without his clumsy problems in the end.

After about twenty minutes, Laura came out of her front door with all her PokeGear, but by that time, Daniel was gone…

Laura’s heart fell to her stomach and her knees waned. She couldn’t let him go so easily. She knew this was the moment her Pokemon journey began.

The night was getting dark and Daniel walked down the road towards the northern woods in the direction of Violet town. A Murkrow flew past him overhead and perched on a tree staring into his eyes. Daniel stopped in his tracks and stared back at the bird. The two of them stared, fixated in a trance and Daniel could feel his body give a small chill as the bird seemed to grimace behind his beak.

Daniel carried on walking past the Murkrow, as another Murkrow flew to the ground and began pecking at the ground for bugs and rocks.

“Frickin’ birds,” Daniel said to himself. He couldn’t get the thought of old wives tales and Murkrow myths from out of his mind. The Murkrow had always been associated with death and darkness in folk tales; a haunting of uncertainty that surrounded human existence. Then another Murkrow landed ten paces down the path that he was walking on, crossed the path and looked back at Daniel with a gleam, then took off into the air cawing--almost in a mocking manner.

Daniel sighed. He assured himself that the birds were only playing tricks on him, possibly knowing the myths themselves. At the same time though, walking near vast expanses of farmland, Murkrows were a common flock Pokemon. There was nothing to be alarmed to. Murkrows were relatively passive towards humans, unless they wanted a free lunch they could steal.

Walking on down the road, Daniel looked back to Cherrygrove. The moon was rising from the horizon and the sun had completely set now; the lights from town were beautiful at night and all of a sudden, the feeling of running away from his life didn’t seem like a very smart idea. He only had a little bit of money on him, and not owning any Pokemon was going to be a problem if he came across any gang members or other dangers.

But really, in the end, he didn’t really care what other people thought. He didn’t want to fight the dept collectors for the rest of his younger life. He had a long life ahead of him and he wanted to forget the farm. Though, with all the good memories, there were also the bad ones. Plenty of bad ones… Leaving was inevitable.

The night grew darker than ever and the moon shone over the road with an eerie soft white. Cherrygrove was now at least a mile back behind him and all he could think about was Laura. He should probably go back for her, he knew she would try to chase him, but he could possibly well be a criminal now. Tax evasion wasn’t a light crime. How could his grandfather have been so careless with his money?

Suddenly under the pale moon and starry sky, Daniel heard a Houndour howl somewhere off in the distance and his eyes perked up like white specks in the darkness.

Daniel did have one lucky thing for protection on him. Even if rowdy kids or gangsters mugged him, or perhaps if a Pokemon attacked him, he did have his hunting knife on hand. It was a sturdy knife with a four inch blade; not a thing to really play with in a fight. In the right hands, that knife meant business; and with Daniel, it was.

Pulling his knife from its sheath strapped to his boot, Daniel looked around uneasily for the howling.

Another Houndour cried somewhere in the distance as Daniel walked on down the road.

There were no more lights this far from town and the landscape was beginning to become woodsy. Daniel never really liked the forest too much, it always seemed a bit too mysterious at times; and with all the wild Pokemon running around, dangerous.

A twig snapped behind him down the road and Daniel turned around swiftly with his knife in front of him. There began to be a bit of foot patter around him and the panting of a group of Pokemon somewhere in the bush.

Then suddenly a howl, this time loud and behind his back. Daniel turned and there stood a Houndour growling at him. The wild dog Pokemon seemed hungry, and there he stood staring at the fangs of his predator.

Another howl cried in the woods, and Daniel looked around uneasily for other Houndours. Daniel knew this was do or die; he knew Houndours and Houndooms well; there were several that came to his farm in the past, and whenever they were hungry, he knew they weren’t a Pokemon to take lightly.

Daniel stared at his predator fiercely in the eyes, “c’mon, you mutt!” he taunted. “See if you can take me. I’ve chased you stupid canines off my farm for years.” And with a jump the Houndour charged Daniel with fangs ready to pierce into his skin.

Swiftly Daniel sidestepped and kicked the Houndour to the ground with a strong boot. The wild dog gave a small yelp as it rolled to the ground, then another began charging at him from down the road. Daniel growled loudly and began charging the Houndour directly. A bit caught off guard, the Houndour leapt out of the way as Daniel tried slashing at the dog Pokemon. Travelers were never this gutsy against a wild Houndour.

Another Houndour came out of the bush and barked incessantly at Daniel as another Houndour followed quickly behind. The Houndour that Daniel had kicked began walking towards him growling, fangs protruding from his snout.

A bit of smoke began smoldering from the Houndour’s mouth and Daniel sighed a little, “Crap… I know what’s coming next,” he said to himself.

The Houndour seemed to smile as smoke came from its mouth, and with a deep bark, Embers began flying out past his fangs towards Daniel. Daniel, as quickly as the Ember attack had come, darted in the other direction down the road, throwing his knife back into his sheath.

Running hard, followed by flames, the pack of Houndours howled.

Then suddenly Daniel had a thought… This was exactly why leaving Cherrygrove without Pokemon or any sort of defense was a dumb idea. But as he ran, chased by the Houndours, he passed another Murkrow looking on at the drama. It cawed and flew into the air next to Daniel, who glanced at the black bird who was now flying next to him.

Daniel looked on a little confused by the bird, and the bird glanced back at Daniel, possibly just as confused. But as Daniel ran, the Murkrow stopped and began cawing at the Houndours. Then another Murkrow began to caw somewhere in the woods; then another, and another. The Houndours stopped in front of the one Murkrow growling. Daniel stopped running and looked back down the road at the Murkrow standing alone at the pack of Houndours. But somewhere in the trees, invisible, a giant flock of Murkrows were cawing and beckoning or perhaps even arguing with the Houndours.

In the darkness of the night, the image was a bit frightening. There was only a small glow around himself under the moon, and Daniel couldn’t tell what the Murkrows were doing. They had seemingly saved his life from the Houndour pack. Walking back towards the Houndours, the Houndours stopped growling and stared at him. What seemed to be the dominant alpha of the pack came forward, close to the Murkrow and began snarling viciously. The Murkrow only stood there looking up towards the wild dog of the night. Suddenly he snorted from his snout and turned around and the rest of his pack followed him into the darkness of the bush. The Murkrows of the forest stopped cawing and the one Murkrow turned around and stared at Daniel. They stared for quite some time, and it almost seemed as if the Murkrow smiled.

“Thanks,” Daniel said.

The Murkrow nodded and flew off into the sky. Looking around, the forest seemed a bit too quiet now. Tired, Daniel walked to the side of the path and began trying to create a campfire. Sitting by the flames, he wasn’t bothered for the rest of the night. Anytime a wild Pokemon would come close to him, they’d only stare and walk on.

And looking up at the stars, Daniel thought to himself deeply about his grandfather and Laura. Then to the incident with the Murkrows and Houndour. Something archaic or something beyond his comprehension with the Murkrows of the forest had saved him; but with so many things on his mind; Daniel’s thoughts only wandered in the dreamscape of his mind as he fell asleep.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
iChaos Offline

Sorry that there isn't anybody else, but I still like it. I wonder if a Murkrow would become his partner pokemon, or maybe even better. And Laura hopefully she'll catch up to him. It's a pretty sad story, I'm was about to cry when he announced his Grandfather was dead. Daniel its okay I have money, plenty come to me, Aww...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Redlark Offline

I'm glad you like the story! Unlike a lot of my stuff, this one's pretty thought out to the bone, but now it's a matter of seeing what Daniel and Laura end up doing about their situations. I'm getting pretty close to the next post, so expext something from me in like a day or two, if not tonight. Either way, I'm posting something tonight, this or my uber old story from way back when.

But yeah--Daniel is a very tragic character, if not a lot like myself at times. But that's where I get a lot of my ideas. Either myself or the people around me.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Redlark Offline

Sorry; double-post.

*tEasER AlERt*

You'll probably like the upcoming characters in the next following chapters. Watt and Alan, the two bully kids from Violet City who steals food and ultimately gets in trouble with Team Rocket. Then you got Chris, the boxing champ from Goldenrod who knocks Daniel out in a street fight; mixing HIM up for a Rocket member. Tammy the med student at the Olvine PokeCenter, who saves Daniel's life from something that happened. Ashley, Clark, Rachael, Mike the Ranger, Jean the ever-so-slightly telepathic... the whole "And as the Wind Blows" gang show up (except for Ashley... which you'll find out later why...), and a couple more. Then LATER the trouble with Team Magma and ultimately Galactic... etc......... Oh, what am I talking about? You'll have to read on with the new chapters! Giovanni makes a couple appearances too...... hmm? why? I dunno... I'm not there yet.

A Murkrow being Daniel's partner Pokemon... we'll see....... For all we know he might change his name to Ash Ketchum............ No....... that wont happen.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
iChaos Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlark View Post
Sorry; double-post.

*tEasER AlERt*

You'll probably like the upcoming characters in the next following chapters. Watt and Alan, the two bully kids from Violet City who steals food and ultimately gets in trouble with Team Rocket. Then you got Chris, the boxing champ from Goldenrod who knocks Daniel out in a street fight; mixing HIM up for a Rocket member. Tammy the med student at the Olvine PokeCenter, who saves Daniel's life from something that happened. Ashley, Clark, Rachael, Mike the Ranger, Jean the ever-so-slightly telepathic... the whole "And as the Wind Blows" gang show up (except for Ashley... which you'll find out later why...), and a couple more. Then LATER the trouble with Team Magma and ultimately Galactic... etc......... Oh, what am I talking about? You'll have to read on with the new chapters! Giovanni makes a couple appearances too...... hmm? why? I dunno... I'm not there yet.

A Murkrow being Daniel's partner Pokemon... we'll see....... For all we know he might change his name to Ash Ketchum............ No....... that wont happen.
Lol, I hope he dosen't change his name to Ash Ketchum'. I'm loving the next chapter already. Bring it on, One more questions are there gonna be any Pokemon Battles?