Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Jeo305 Offline
New Trainer

Default First time rate

I'v been a reader for awhile but this'll be my first time posting. If I'm breaking any rules during my Thread please let me be aware of it. Not sure about the Ev's yet going to do some more research on them before I come to a conclusion.
So the line-up:

Snorlax-Leftovers
Adamant/Guts
EV's ??/??
Attacks:
Curse
Bodyslam
Rest
EQ

Scizor-Metal Coat
Adament/Technician
EV's ??/??
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Sword Dance
B-Pass

Umbreon-Leftover
(sometype of SP Def)/Syncho
EV's ??/??
Toxic
Wish
Payback
Protect

Slowking-Leftover
(Def Nature)/Own Tempo
EV's ??/??
Slack Off
Nasty Plot
Psychic
Suf

Magmortar-Life Orb
Moderate/Flame Body
EV's ??/??
Sunny Day
Flamethrower
Solar Beam
Focus Blast

Skarmory-Life Orb
(Def Nature)/Sturdy
EV's ??/??
Spikes
Drill Peck
Roost
Whirl Wind
Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 AM
NTT Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: First time rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo305 View Post
I'v been a reader for awhile but this'll be my first time posting. If I'm breaking any rules during my Thread please let me be aware of it. Not sure about the Ev's yet going to do some more research on them before I come to a conclusion.
So the line-up:

Snorlax-Leftovers
Careful/Thick Fat
168HP/220SpDef/120(Att or Def)
Attacks:
Curse
Bodyslam
Rest
EQ

No idea where you got Guts from, it isn't one of Snorlax's available abilities. Thick fat is far superior, since Rest can cure any poison you encounter. EVs and nature need to prioritise bulking up your SpDef, you have curse to boost you attack and defence, plus special attackers in 4th gen hits to hard to go off latent stats. The last 120 EVs are better invested in defence, but don't achieve anything specific so can be used in Att if you wanna be more aggressive.

Scizor-Leftovers
Adament/Jolly/Technician
248HP/8Att/252Spd (Adamant) or 248HP/32Att/228Spd (Jolly)
Bullet Punch/Roost
Bug Bite
Sword Dance
B-Pass
Metal Coat is a poor item at the best of times, never mind on a baton passer. Leftovers adds to scizor's decent bulk and grants survivability while you set up. The two EV spreads are both viable; the first with adamant outspeeds standard breloom, allowing you to pass before it spores you (not exactly handy on a team with no sleep talkers, but if you are already poisoned you can absorb it nicely), while the second with jolly outspeeds standard bulky Gyara, a common switch into scizor and allows you to pass before you are taunted. Bug bite is a more reliable attacking option, and can really sting after a swords dance and technician boost. Bullet punch can work, but roost may be more useful if a passing attempt goes awry and leaves you crippled.

Jolteon-Leftovers
(Timid)/Volt Absorb
252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP
Toxic/HP Ice
Wish
Thunderbolt
Substitute

Jolteon is better suited to providing wish support to your team, it's not gonna get taunted like umbreon and your team really needs an electric immunity.

Slowking-Leftover
Modest/Own Tempo
252HP/252SpAtt/6Def
Slack Off
Nasty Plot
Psychic/Ice Beam
Surf

Not a big fan of this in OU, too much hits it too hard, and you're too slow to do much before getting 2HKO'd. A Crocune would do a similar job, while being able to put up with the beatings OUs can dish out:

Suicune@Leftovers
Bold
252HP/252Def/6SpAtt
Calm Mind
Surf
Rest
Sleep Talk

Magmortar-Choice Scarf
Modest/Flame Body
252SpAtt/252Spd/6HP
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Focus Blast

As a rule of thumb, weather effects with as major effects as sunny day should only be used to benefit a large quantity of the team, not a single pokémon. For example, skarmory would be completely unable to cope with fire moves, which can be a significant problem if you need it to take on a salamence with fire fang- what was managable before has just recieved a considerable boost. It would also reduce the strength of your water attacks, nullify thick fat on Lax and remove Slowking's resistence to fire. Magmotrar really only has a couple of things that stop it from being an inferior Heatran- higher speed and superior coverage. Abuse these traits and use it as a revenge killer.

Skarmory-Leftovers
Impish/Sturdy
252HP/252Def/6Att
Spikes
Brave Bird
Roost
Whirl Wind

Life Orbs really don't belong on walls, they like their lefties. Skarm makes an excellent physical wall, maxed out defenses and a boosting nature all add to that. Brave Bird is a better STAB option, the boost in power is pretty significant and you can roost off the recoil damage.
Changes in bold. Not a bad first team, just lacking in synergy. Scizor is passing attack boosts, but only snorlax makes any use of them and he can set himself up anyway. Plus as a lead (I think, but you're new so you may not know that it's customary to put your lead poke at the top of the RMT) he's unlikely to get a chance to curse up, since the vast majority of OU's leads carry either taunt or a sleep move. My first step would be to exchange snorlax for a gliscor lead, who can set up Stealth Rock and gives you another electric immunity (And a ground one, which you're currently reliant on skarm for):

Gliscor@Focus Sash/Leftovers
Jolly
252Att/252Spd/6HP
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Taunt opposing setup leads or sleepers (You outspeed the two most common ones, roserade and smeargle), set up your own rocks and go from there. Focus Sash is an optionto guarentee you get rocks up, but it isn't really necersarry since nothing in the top 20 most common leads is a dedicated special attacker, while your latent physical defence stops most things from getting anywhere close to a KO on you. Lefties are more useful for later in the game.

From here I'd recommend changing scizor to a sweeping variant, with the CB set generally considered to be the most effective. The Swords Dance variant is also very good though, so it's down to personal preference. The blunt force of the CB set is probably an easier set to use for a new player, so I'd go with that.

So the line-up should now look something like:

Gliscor (Lead)
Scizor (Physical Sweeper)
Jolteon (Support)
Suicune (Special Tank)
Magmortar (Special Sweeper)
Skarmory (Physical Wall)

Good luck [=

Wifi (Soul Silver): 1677 6730 3945
Shoddy Battle (Smogon Server): NTT
Pokémon Online (Beta Server): NTT
Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Jeo305 Offline
New Trainer

Wow thanks alot you really went over the edge for me. Also can I replace Suicune with another don't like using legendaries. =/
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
NTT Offline
Experienced Trainer

Suicune really is your best bet, and it is universally accepted as being a fair poke in OU games. If you're insistent, however, a slowbro would probably be the next best option since it has the same charactoristics that make suicune so great, that being a high defence stat while you boost your SpDef. The exact same moveset, EVs and Nature can be put straight onto slowbro. You could go for slack off and psychic over Rest and Slerp Talk, but the ability to absorb status can be very handy.

Wifi (Soul Silver): 1677 6730 3945
Shoddy Battle (Smogon Server): NTT
Pokémon Online (Beta Server): NTT
Closed Thread